Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Billy O,

You egotistical ignorant narcissist. You've done more this year to hurt your offense then any defense ever could.

Let's examine what happened today.

You ran on 1st down no matter what for 2 yards against the #1 run defense in the league. The one time you shouldve run on 1st down late in the game to burn clock you didnt (wtf?)

2nd down was the go to down with short passing completions. On rare occasions it worked out because of player performance (not you) ,but mostly, it didnt.

On 3rd down what happened? All long and not manageable. The defense put their ears back and rushed. They hit Watson enough early in the game to shake him. His timing was off. His footwork sucked ,and his accuracy waivered. It had a big impact later in the game. Your stupid game plan allowed that to happen.

You effectively neutered your own offense by stealing a down from them (1st down.) Your so set on your system you cant adapt. You are your own worst enemy and this game optimizes it perfectly.

Congrats on the win. If you were a legit coach, you would've won by at least 2 tds.

Lemme just repost this.

I don't think cal has the sac to let him go.

We won. That's all that matters here. We've won the Division & will host a playoff game.

Nothing that has happened up to today means anything. How he does in the playoffs is all that matters. I don't care if we barely beat the worst team in the league on a fluke missed extra point.

IMO (& it's been my opinion all year) this team has to be a freak play away from winning the AFCCG for O'Brien to keep his job.

Bruce Arian has a reputation for being a great offensive coach. He has probably forgotten more football than O'Brien can remember. Yet, Arians has hired an OC who calls plays. Why can't O'Brien do the same? Every season there is a season long issue that cannot be resolved during the season. One year, it's under utilizing the TEs. The next year is red zone offense. Another year it's integrating the slot WRs. This year it's first quarter production. No TDs and 6 points in 15 games and he has not clue on how to fix the issue.

It just goes on and on and on...…...….

Last edited:
Bruce Arian has a reputation for being a great offensive coach. He has probably forgotten more football than O'Brien can remember. Yet, Arians has hired an OC who calls plays. Why can't O'Brien do the same? Every season there is a season long issue that cannot be resolved during the season. One year, it's under utilizing the TEs. The next year is red zone offense, Another year it's integrating the slot WRs. This year it's first quarter production. No TDs and 6 points in 15 games and he has not clue on how to fix the issue.

It just goes on and on and on...…...….
Because NO ONE is smarter than BOB in his mind.

Pro bowler Brandon Brooks

"It's crazy that people haven't known this," Brooks said about the Patriots via Bleeding Green Nation. "It's been this way for like a decade . . . (bleep) is not fun there. I was under the same regime in Houston. I almost retired. (Bleep) was miserable every day.

"I came in under Kubiak, who was just an older version of (Eagles coach) Doug (Pederson). Then I went to O'Brien, who was Belichick, and then I came back to Doug, who's like Kubes, so for me, man, (bleep) was great. Like, I cannot tell you how much better this is than it was down there."

It's butt heads way or no way. BOB must go!!!!!!

Every season there is a season long issue that cannot be resolved during the season. One year, it's under utilizing the TEs. The next year is red zone offense. Another year it's integrating the slot WRs. This year it's first quarter production. No TDs and 6 points in 15 games and he has not clue on how to fix the issue

& Keke Coutee... Dude was a big part of our offense, especially when Fuller was hurt. We went out got another guy in Stills & our offense screeches to a halt when Fuller is out.

How can we not get Keke involved?

& Keke Coutee... Dude was a big part of our offense, especially when Fuller was hurt. We went out got another guy in Stills & our offense screeches to a halt when Fuller is out.

How can we not get Keke involved?

I think Coutee makes errors when he plays, I’ve seen multiple times in games where he’s in the exact same area as another WR. I also heard from a friend that worked for the team, he’s got a bit of ego that hasn’t gone over very well. He’s clearly talente, hopeful he gets his head on straight. I’d also like to see more of Carter, he makes some plays when given the chance.

I think Coutee makes errors when he plays, I’ve seen multiple times in games where he’s in the exact same area as another WR. I also heard from a friend that worked for the team, he’s got a bit of ego that hasn’t gone over very well.

If only we had someone in the organization who could coach, or mentor, or counsel him.

O'Brien is not going anywhere after winning at least 10 games on the season which is why I hope he comes to his senses and hires a decent OC for next season and hopefully beyond.
It would cause problems for opposing defenses until they figure the new scheme out.

Watching the Chiefs-Bears game - everytime I see another team run a middle screen, it makes me sad for the Texans.

Trubisky dropped back, looked right and faked a pass to the flat, meanwhile, the OL has shed their blocks, the back was downfield of the DL as they rushed Trubisky, he dumped the pass over the DL's heads, and 10+ yards, was a sweet play.

Is the Texans OL so untalented that they can't run that play? Or is BOB just a dumbass?

Chiefs just ran a cool play...

Mahomes rolls left looking downfield... OL brush blocks the DL, DL rushes towards Mahomes. OL moves to the right, Back slips over behind the OL. Mahomes throws to the back, 15+ yard gain. There was a block in the back penalty that happened during the run, but the creativity is on display.

Does anyone have an explanation why the Texans can't do that stuff?

Last edited:
woah... Chiefs, WTF??? Their halfback took off to the left, Mahomes pitched the ball to him, and 8 yard gain for a first down. I thought all run plays had to go up the centers ass.

As a Texans fan, I've never seen a play like that. Man, that Andy Reid is a tricky fellow!

Watching the Chiefs-Bears game - everytime I see another team run a middle screen, it makes me sad for the Texans.

Trubisky dropped back, looked right and faked a pass to the flat, meanwhile, the OL has shed their blocks, the back was downfield of the DL as they rushed Trubisky, he dumped the pass over the DL's heads, and 10+ yards, was a sweet play.

Is the Texans OL so untalented that they can't run that play? Or is BOB just a dumbass?

Chiefs just ran a cool play...

Mahomes rolls left looking downfield... OL brush blocks the DL, DL rushes towards Mahomes. OL moves to the right, Back slips over behind the OL. Mahomes throws to the back, 15+ yard gain. There was a block in the back penalty that happened during the run, but the creativity is on display.

Does anyone have an explanation why the Texans can't do that stuff?

......b/c Big Bad Beli took OB's green notebook!!!!!!!!!

Somehow they managed to win 10-11 games again.

Did they have an easy schedule again this yr?

This is why I don’t rag on BOB the head coach as much as I do as his role as OC. My main frustration with him as a HC is the stinkers that we seem to have each year, Car, Den, Baltimore this year, the Colts playoff game last year, the beat downs Mia and Atl gave us 3-4 yrs ago. We seem to have a game or 2 each year where we look like a JV squad vs a Varsity squad, and I can’t figure out why. Every team loses games, and most teams lose some games they probably should win, but really good teams rarely get their ass handed to them each year like we seem to do

note: in fairness to OB, I’m leaving out the 30-0 Chiefs playoff debacle because I lay that S**t show directly at the feet of Hoyer and his 5 turnovers

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
Bill O'Brien on running the ball a lot on first downs in the first half: "Yeah, I mean ... yeah, I've got to do a better job. So, I'm going to try to do a better job in the next game and moving forward. But the players played hard, and it was a good team win." https://t.co/YBQkHxlDYI

That’s a word salad with extra dressing. Billy’s seat is getting warmer.
I read this on Twitter when it came out. This guy is an idiot. Really? I've got to do better, try and do a better job?? No kidding! Cal needs to slap this clown upside the face.
Or is BOB just a dumbass?
Just a dumbass

I'd love McDaniels as our HC.

But I truly believe he's being groomed for NE... & Casserio will be there with him.

I used to think that but I question his ability to be a leader. Great coordinator, but he failed once and then even worse tucked tail and ran another. I’d be out on McDaniels I’m done with the failed “let’s copy New England” experiment that followed the “let’s copy Denver” disaster. Let’s create our own identity.

I know some Clemson alumni that say in private Dabo Swinney has said Deshaun Watson is the only player he would leave college for. Take that with a big ass grain of sand as I can’t corroborate 1st hand and hate to start rumors. There is SOME sense there, and with the way the NFL is trending I’d give Swinney the same exact power of coach and personnel man to make it a deal he can’t refuse. Chucky type deal just hopefully not as long. I’m thinking 5-7 year contract.

That’s the dream for me, but there are still a good amount of coaching candidates out there that would make sense here. Its time to use a progressive approach to running a team instead of just whipping it harder for it to do your bidding.

I used to think that but I question his ability to be a leader. Great coordinator, but he failed once and then even worse tucked tail and ran another. I’d be out on McDaniels I’m done with the failed “let’s copy New England” experiment that followed the “let’s copy Denver” disaster. Let’s create our own identity.

I know some Clemson alumni that say in private Dabo Swinney has said Deshaun Watson is the only player he would leave college for. Take that with a big ass grain of sand as I can’t corroborate 1st hand and hate to start rumors. There is SOME sense there, and with the way the NFL is trending I’d give Swinney the same exact power of coach and personnel man to make it a deal he can’t refuse. Chucky type deal just hopefully not as long. I’m thinking 5-7 year contract.

That’s the dream for me, but there are still a good amount of coaching candidates out there that would make sense here. Its time to use a progressive approach to running a team instead of just whipping it harder for it to do your bidding.

Personally, I think Dabo Sweeney could make the jump to the NFL....as well as his coaching staff. I'd give him a season or two to gain his NFL experience and make the necessary tweaks to his offensive and defensive schemes.

Carroll, Gruden, and Payton make 9.75M+ per season. All have a SB Trophy. I'm not sure Sweeney leaves for....say....60M - 6 Year deal......not sure any NFL team would offer anything longer up front.

To make his transition easier.....I'd give him Eliot Wolf as a GM and Alonso Highsmith as a Asst GM / Personnel man. Both of these guys are viewed as very good talent evaluators.

I'd like this tandem to do some pretty special things in Houston.

Just looked at Sweeney's new contract.......he may not be going anywhere at 93M over 10 years with an enhanced buyout should he want the Alabama job if it opens. Texans would never be in a position to offer something like this.....Beli earns 12M+ annually but he's got the hardware to justify the $$$$$.

Personally, I think Dabo Sweeney could make the jump to the NFL....as well as his coaching staff. I'd give him a season or two to gain his NFL experience and make the necessary tweaks to his offensive and defensive schemes.

Carroll, Gruden, and Payton make 9.75M+ per season. All have a SB Trophy. I'm not sure Sweeney leaves for....say....60M - 6 Year deal......not sure any NFL team would offer anything longer up front.

To make his transition easier.....I'd give him Eliot Wolf as a GM and Alonso Highsmith as a Asst GM / Personnel man. Both of these guys are viewed as very good talent evaluators.

I'd like this tandem to do some pretty special things in Houston.

Just looked at Sweeney's new contract.......he may not be going anywhere at 93M over 10 years with an enhanced buyout should he want the Alabama job if it opens. Texans would never be in a position to offer something like this.....Beli earns 12M+ annually but he's got the hardware to justify the $$$$$.

Thats the rub .. everyone knows he has one of; if not the best; college coaching gigs available. He's not in a big rush to go anywhere, BUT .. in terms of booster mixers and hypotheticals I presume he's joked around saying Deshaun would be 'his guy' if he went to the pro game. This job is not open per say, and its highly doubtful OBrien goes anywhere (barring a playoff failure of epic proportions I guess?) but Swinney is a players coach to the 10th power, I think he would be a fine NFL coach myself, but like you said he's in no rush to move. He's getting paid as much or more than he would making the jump to the pro game. I can only assume he does it if all his boxes are checked off and having Deshaun as his QB may be a pretty big box for him.

You provide a fine list of management possibilities to help Swinney out in the pro game. Maybe see if Ozzie Newsome wants to make one more ride into the sunset?

I wonder when Swinney is watching Watson and sees the schemes, the repetitive runs up the middle, O'Brien calling 10 runs on 13 first downs. What goes through his mind? Just from an offensive scheme and play calling perspective, what does he think of this offense. Is his reaction similar to ours. WTH?

Dabo Swinney called Deshaun Watson the "Michael Jordan" of the NFL (in terms of draft position mainly) so I can only imagine that he's just as frustrated as Deshaun has been lately with the unimaginative, slow developing and predictable offense. Here's a small sample of what Clemson liked to do with Watson. See if you can spot where/how the Clemson offense is different from what OBrien is doing (especially since OBrien is being credited with "changing" the offense to better suit Deshuan).

I saw a show on HBO 'Belichick & Saban'. If you have not seen it I think it is really worth watching. It was mostly about their relationship through the years but it had a lot of scenes of them talking about coaching.

In one segment Saban was talking about how hard it is to keep people motivated when they are winning. Saban & Belichick both agreed it was a lot easier to get through to people after a hard loss than it is after a big win. Belichick went so far as to say that in hind sight he wished they had lost a game in their 16-0 season. He said it would have showed the team they could still lose & had to stay focused to keep that from happening

To me that is where O'Brien fails. He does seem to be able to hold the locker room together when things start to go bad. It's when things go good that he seems to fall short.

The Broncos game to me is a perfect example of O'Brien's failings as a coach.

In a game where we were the most talented team on the field we had a total collapse on both sides of the ball. This was a home game that had huge playoff implications & he could not get his team ready to play.

It has been the same way since he arrived. He can hold it together enough to get the team to the post season. But in playoff game after playoff game the Texans not only lose but look completely unprepared to play.

So unless this year we have a post season where I can honestly say the Texans may have lost but they showed up ready to play in every game I think we have seen enough to say O'Brien can't get it done & we need to find somebody that can.

Sorry for writing a book but I have a lot of nervous energy waiting for Saturday & took it out on y'all.

I saw a show on HBO 'Belichick & Saban'. If you have not seen it I think it is really worth watching. It was mostly about their relationship through the years but it had a lot of scenes of them talking about coaching.

In one segment Saban was talking about how hard it is to keep people motivated when they are winning. Saban & Belichick both agreed it was a lot easier to get through to people after a hard loss than it is after a big win. Belichick went so far as to say that in hind sight he wished they had lost a game in their 16-0 season. He said it would have showed the team they could still lose & had to stay focused to keep that from happening

To me that is where O'Brien fails. He does seem to be able to hold the locker room together when things start to go bad. It's when things go good that he seems to fall short.

The Broncos game to me is a perfect example of O'Brien's failings as a coach.

In a game where we were the most talented team on the field we had a total collapse on both sides of the ball. This was a home game that had huge playoff implications & he could not get his team ready to play.

It has been the same way since he arrived. He can hold it together enough to get the team to the post season. But in playoff game after playoff game the Texans not only lose but look completely unprepared to play.

So unless this year we have a post season where I can honestly say the Texans may have lost but they showed up ready to play in every game I think we have seen enough to say O'Brien can't get it done & we need to find somebody that can.

Sorry for writing a book but I have a lot of nervous energy waiting for Saturday & took it out on y'all.

Who do you recommend as a replacement?

Who do you recommend as a replacement?
Honestly I'm not qualified to really say. Down through the years when I've seen other teams name a new HC I say 'Damn I wish the Texans (or Oilers) got them' and just as often as not they fail miserably.

I was 100% behind O'Brien when he was announced as HC but by the same token I thought Capers & Kubiak were good choices so I really can't be trusted to choose.

I think I'm almost leaning toward a veteran defensive minded coach who would bring a modern young OC to run the offense. I also think we need a good GM.

The truth is I'm a lot better at whining about things than I am at coming up with constructive suggestions about what to do.

Honestly I'm not qualified to really say. Down through the years when I've seen other teams name a new HC I say 'Damn I wish the Texans (or Oilers) got them' and just as often as not they fail miserably.

I was 100% behind O'Brien when he was announced as HC but by the same token I thought Capers & Kubiak were good choices so I really can't be trusted to choose.

I think I'm almost leaning toward a veteran defensive minded coach who would bring a modern young OC to run the offense. I also think we need a good GM.

The truth is I'm a lot better at whining about things than I am at coming up with constructive suggestions about what to do.

All fair. A lot of us dont like ob ,but who's available that's better? The last coach I pinned for was Kyle Shanahan.

Belicheck and Carrol should have heard this last Saturday

Greg Roman and Eric Bienemy are being interviewed for HC jobs...sigh.

You snooze, you lose. With the NFL rules geared for offensive football, while we've been going through a "rebuild" based on dog years, we missed the opportunity to hire offensive minded coaches like Kyle Shanahan, Frank Reich, Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Matt Lafleur and even Kliff Kingsbury.....Sigh

With these coaches, you can read what they are doing to help their young QBs. While we are getting A gap runs, take a look at what some of these coaches are doing to help their young QBs. Any ideas if O'Brien is doing similar things with his super, complicated 1999-2000 version of the EP offense?

Kingsbury:
"So on the first day of Cardinals practice before the 2019 season, Murray directed Kingsbury’s Air Raid offense using terminology from what he ran in college. The quarterback was ahead of every one of his veteran teammates. The result was an impressive start to his NFL career."
https://arizonasports.com/story/2208293/kliff-kingsbury-kyler-murray-gambles-look-good-1st-year/

McVay:
1577845182879.png
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/nfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

Shanahan:
“When I came to Washington and Kyle installed the offense, he explained that we throw hot [routes], so we don’t need to deal with changing the protections very often, just let the system work for you. But I heard that when Kyle went to Atlanta, Matt Ryan said, ‘You know, I’d like to have sight adjustments [a sibling of hot routes]. They sort of went back and forth on it, and ultimately Kyle relented. Kyle didn’t want to do [sight adjustments] in the past, but he was willing to adjust because it was something Matt had done before.”
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/18/sean-mcvay-rams-kyle-shanahan-49ers-coaching-rivalry

I thought Capers & Kubiak were good choices so I really can't be trusted to choose.

I thought Capers was a good choice as well. He failed miserably. I think Kubiak was the right choice his first 4 years. I believe in my heart of hearts he turned this thing around.

He took us from perennial losers to playoff contenders (in 6 years).

He just couldn't cross that hump to Championship contender.

I agree it was time to move on. Some how he lost the owner & his opinion didn't carry the weight it used to.

Bill O'Brien was not the guy I wanted. The guy that would take us to Championship contender. I wanted Wisenhunt... so yeah, what do I know?

Let me ask you this, do you think Belichick or Payton would take a talented QB and not play to his strengths? To me, it’s about building a system to fit the most important player on the team. If BOB had Lamar Jackson, would he force Jackson to run his system or would he make the necessary changes for Jackson to be successful?

I watch DW and can‘t help but think he would tear it up playing in Kubiak’s offense. I wasn’t a huge fan of GK the head coach but he’s a terrific OC, and his system seems tailored made for DW’s skill set. I know OB has made some changes and kudos to him for somewhat adapting, I just think he could do more. For all his warts, and IMHO most are due to youth/inexperience, DW is a tremendous talent. I’d like my FB team to take get the best players possible and create systems that fit that talent Vs. always needing a certain type of player. If that makes sense. And for the record, this is also a knock on GK, because at the time I believe Manning wanted to play for us but GK was worried about his fit in our offense, WTF?

Manning did want to play for Kubiak - the reason that didn't happen was financial - Rick Smith had given Schaub that large contract extension and because of the amount bonus money to hit the cap that year - $17.5m signing bonus , there was no way to accommodate Manning financially - there is no getting out of that cap hit even if traded you eat bonus money and any unpaid bonus money.

Without the Schaub extension , Manning would have been a Texan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back