Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops! I could’ve sworn there were reports GK was hesitant on Manning because of his fit with the offense. I remember thinking why wouldn’t Manning fit if Schaub could. My mistake.

I remember those reports. The big fuss was Manning loves to run the offense his way and how Kubiak not really wanting his QB making a lot of audibles.

We know you liked Mahomes before the draft. WTH does that have to do with knowing O’Brien liked Mahomes before the draft?

The same people who claim O’Brien wanted Mahomes conveniently forget that going into the draft, there were questions about Mahomes‘ gunslinger attitude, his turnovers, ability to play under center, read coverages, not going through his progressions, decision making, leaving the pocket too soon and even his accuracy and inconsistent mechanics.

Even during his first training camp, Mahomes was throwing INTs all over the place. I find it revisionist history to claim O’Brien wanted Mahomes. I’m more likely to believe, he wanted Trubisky than Watson or Mahomes.

If O’Brien has to interview for another job, I doubt he will list, “I wanted to draft Mahomes”. Instead, I would bet he would say, “I drafted Watson and had him producing at historical pace and top 5 QB with only 35 games of experience”

I don't know what OB want to do. One week the team looks great, the next week we look like crap. In fact, I don't care what OB wants to do, I want him gone.

That goes with the territory when it comes with inconsistent QB play. Doesn't really matter who the HC is. BTW, if those Int's and the dumb throwing it away instead of taking a sack had cost the Texans that game, you can bet this thread would be alot more active.

As far as the wanting BOB gone, nothing has changed your opinion and probably wont. I'm OK with changing HC's but only if you can name a better option.

I don't know what OB want to do. One week the team looks great, the next week we look like crap. In fact, I don't care what OB wants to do, I want him gone.
I dont care what OB wants either, I want him to win. (which I believe most want) If he gets fired then we move on but seeing as I can't pull those strings I'm rollling with the devil for now. No use beating my head against the wall over it.

What you're asking for is a full time ZBS. I'm glad they aren't running the ZBS full time and aren't so rigid that they dont change up their gameplans to fit their opponents.

According to one of our members who would know, he told me Kubiak wanted Manning and RS didn't because of the contract RS signed Schaub too and they would have had to trade cut too many players to fit in Manning in RS eyes. They could've made it work if RS had wanted to make this move.

I would definitely prefer Kubes offense. I think the game plan strategy is great in theory. I just have 2 issues. One, it seems to be very complicated. We’ve heard numerous former players state that it takes 2-3 yrs to really get it. Wade Smith, either on 610 or on Twitter, discussed how difficult it was for an OL not to know the blocking assignment/scheme until they get to the line. He said it was much easier for a lineman to know what the assignment was before getting to the line, that way they more time to identify their responsibility. Think of how many times over the past couple seasons we’ve busted assignments on stunts, twists, ect... Could this be due to what Wade talks about? I’ve also noticed multiple times in multiple games we have 2 receivers in the same area. I get that at times you want to flood a zone, but I’m talking about our guys being so close together 1 DB can cover both guys. I’m guessing that one of the two read the defense the wrong way because I cannot imagine that’s by design.

Two, I worry that trying to be really good at several different styles of play is going to leave us mediocre at each style. Personally, I’d rather have us be really good at something and say try and stop this. I think that’s what Baltimore is doing and I think that’s what Kubes used to do. That being said, I definitely wouldn’t mind some creative wrinkles being mixed in to keep teams from over playing our tendencies. Just my opinion though

Tony Romo for new head coach.... pro's/con's? I find his knowledge of the game while watching him do color analysis amazing.

Idk that I give him a HC gig off the bat but I do bring him in and see where he fits best. 100% I'd want him around a young QB, film room with both sides of the ball, etc. Idk that he has the skills to run an entire team just yet but the guy knows football. OC wouldn't be bad to start.

I would definitely prefer Kubes offense. I think the game plan strategy is great in theory. I just have 2 issues. One, it seems to be very complicated. We’ve heard numerous former players state that it takes 2-3 yrs to really get it. Wade Smith, either on 610 or on Twitter, discussed how difficult it was for an OL not to know the blocking assignment/scheme until they get to the line. He said it was much easier for a lineman to know what the assignment was before getting to the line, that way they more time to identify their responsibility. Think of how many times over the past couple seasons we’ve busted assignments on stunts, twists, ect... Could this be due to what Wade talks about? I’ve also noticed multiple times in multiple games we have 2 receivers in the same area. I get that at times you want to flood a zone, but I’m talking about our guys being so close together 1 DB can cover both guys. I’m guessing that one of the two read the defense the wrong way because I cannot imagine that’s by design.

Two, I worry that trying to be really good at several different styles of play is going to leave us mediocre at each style. Personally, I’d rather have us be really good at something and say try and stop this. I think that’s what Baltimore is doing and I think that’s what Kubes used to do. That being said, I definitely wouldn’t mind some creative wrinkles being mixed in to keep teams from over playing our tendencies. Just my opinion though

The gameplan offense seems to work well for the Pats.

I get what you're saying though with DW4 at QB.

I dont care for a full time ZBS/WC offense. I'm good with running some ZBS concepts which the Texans do every game.

This is a case of whether you like to adapt your philosophy to what's most likely to work against a particular defense vs an offense that says this is what we do stop it offense. The reason I like the gameplan offense is with the ZBS what happens when the other team stops your offense?

Remember this quote from Cal? In my opinion a perfect example of corporate doublespeak if there ever was one.

"We've been really busy working on [team management] this offseason. It's a flatter organization with a faster management style. The organization is totally re-energized with a team-based approach and new leadership based on sub programs with each sub program being fully optimized as a goal."

My thoughts exactly!! It just blows my mind that the owner of our local pro football team says crap like this and expects us to understand it, much less believe it.

I feel like I've heard/read these exact phrases at those stupid corporate leadership conferences that your boss makes you go to.

Romo makes $4 million a year at CBS, and is getting a raise.

Today I learned that OB makes $5M a year; tied for 5th most.

*article has todays date but the info looks wrong (Rams, Broncos, Giants)

another source putting him at $5M

Guess the question is would anyone take Romo at $5M over OB?
That CBS job is mighty comfy with less stress.

Let me ask you this, do you think Belichick or Payton would take a talented QB and not play to his strengths? To me, it’s about building a system to fit the most important player on the team. If BOB had Lamar Jackson, would he force Jackson to run his system or would he make the necessary changes for Jackson to be successful?

I watch DW and can‘t help but think he would tear it up playing in Kubiak’s offense. I wasn’t a huge fan of GK the head coach but he’s a terrific OC, and his system seems tailored made for DW’s skill set. I know OB has made some changes and kudos to him for somewhat adapting, I just think he could do more. For all his warts, and IMHO most are due to youth/inexperience, DW is a tremendous talent. I’d like my FB team to take get the best players possible and create systems that fit that talent Vs. always needing a certain type of player. If that makes sense. And for the record, this is also a knock on GK, because at the time I believe Manning wanted to play for us but GK was worried about his fit in our offense, WTF?

I agree and have said the same thing. Watson would tear it up in Kubiak's offense. This is probably what Rick Smith saw in #4.

There is a local radio interview where Sage Rosenfels talks in depth about Kubiak's scheme and said it is as QB-friendly as you can get. Of course, it was refined by a QB (Kubiak) working with a HoF QB (Elway) in the '90's. They started with Bill Walsh's WCO that Kubiak had learned with Shanahan when they were coaches in San Fran (and won a ring with Steve Young), so it's an offensive scheme that has been refined over the years to complement a QB's skills, not burden him with overthinking at the LOS.

The gameplan offense seems to work well for the Pats.

It helps to have a G.O.A.T. QB running it and a G.O.A.T. HC running the team.

Tony Romo for new head coach.... pro's/con's? I find his knowledge of the game while watching him do color analysis amazing.
I used to think the same thing about Larry Dierker when he was commentating for the Astros. His knowledge and analysis of the game was amazing. I often thought "damn, he'd make a great coach." And then he was a damn good coach. I would definitely take Romo as OC, then maybe HC.

I used to think the same thing about Larry Dierker when he was commentating for the Astros. His knowledge and analysis of the game was amazing. I often thought "damn, he'd make a great coach." And then he was a damn good coach. I would definitely take Romo as OC, then maybe HC.
I don't see him leaving CBS. However, I would hire him as a consultant to review the offense and explain to ownership all the problems he sees with the scheme including coaching and any recommendations.

The same people who claim O’Brien wanted Mahomes conveniently forget that going into the draft, there were questions about Mahomes‘ gunslinger attitude, his turnovers, ability to play under center, read coverages, not going through his progressions, decision making, leaving the pocket too soon and even his accuracy and inconsistent mechanics.

Even during his first training camp, Mahomes was throwing INTs all over the place. I find it revisionist history to claim O’Brien wanted Mahomes. I’m more likely to believe, he wanted Trubisky than Watson or Mahomes.

If O’Brien has to interview for another job, I doubt he will list, “I wanted to draft Mahomes”. Instead, I would bet he would say, “I drafted Watson and had him producing at historical pace and top 5 QB with only 35 games of experience”

What exactly do those two things have to do with each other? No seriously what is your point? Yeah Mahomes wasn’t on anybodies radar, at least not most fans and none of the talking heads, till he threw that bomb at the combine and yeah there were big questions about him. What does that have to do with who OB did or did not want?

What exactly do those two things have to do with each other? No seriously what is your point? Yeah Mahomes wasn’t on anybodies radar, at least not most fans and none of the talking heads, till he threw that bomb at the combine and yeah there were big questions about him. What does that have to do with who OB did or did not want?

My point? With all of those draft questions about Mahomes, I'm not buying he was considered an O'Brien type QB or what O'Brien was looking for in a QB. That's my opinion. You can agree to disagree.

My point? With all of those draft questions about Mahomes, I'm not buying he was considered an O'Brien type QB or what O'Brien was looking for in a QB. That's my opinion. You can agree to disagree.

That’s perfectly fine and if you don’t think he was I can understand that. However that was the report made and Mahomes himself said before the draft he met with the Texans and thought they connected.

So let me you who do you think OB preferred? Watson had some serious questions about his arm so I don’t see him being the guy OB wanted. I suppose he could have wanted a Trubisky but far as I know Texans didn’t even talk to him so not much to back that idea up. Or do you think OB didn’t want a QB at all?

Rick Smith was the best thing that ever happened to this team. He was Moses to Deshauns Jesus and somehow we got stuck with Judas.

What does Moses
DXOTyuOWkAIgICu.jpg

Jesus
Jesus_Becerra_at_community_garden.jpg

and Judas
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6fcbc442-1e0b-11e8-95c3-8b5a448e6e58.jpg

have to do with anything?

Let me explain this in the simplest terms possible...

We own an all world car rare and admired. The leather interior smells and feels immaculate. With just the slightest touch the car reacts beautifully and as intended.

Just one problem.

Our Lamborghini tops out at 65 mph. Our governor is named bill mf'ing obrien.

What an atrocious lesson on trying to lose a game today. We are paper tigers and will get trampled in the first round of the playoffs.

Instead of taking to the victory formation BoB called for a Hyde run, opening up the potential for a fumble or a penalty. Sure enough, a holding penalty on the offense was issued. So instead of the game ending with Watson taking a knee the defense had to go back onto the field.

Now I read all week on this board about Watson throwing the ball out of bounds last Sunday instead of taking a sack. I wonder if the same person who parroted that situation will do the same for BoB? A guy who has been coaching for almost as many years as Watson has been alive. Hell, maybe longer, I haven’t looked it up. Or will the BoB supporters find excuses for all the boneheaded mistakes O’Brien made today?

Someone accused me of being a flip-flopper on O’Brien. I defended the guy for four years because I thought he’d improve. I thought he would do as promised and design a game plan on offense that would expose the opponents weaknesses. Well, today was a prime example of why I no longer support BoB as the Texans HC. He’s full of crap. He didn’t adjust his game plan one iota when facing the best run defense in the league. He stubbornly tried to ram the ball up the middle when there wasn’t anything there.

Yes, Watson was off and I’ve never been shy to criticize him. He’s not a top 5 QB and too often plays like a bottom half of the league QB. All the more reason to get BoB the hell out of Houston and search for someone who can get more out of Watson. I know he has the talent, so it’s time for some upgrades on the coaching staff.

All that being said, the Texans have won the AFC South again which assures us more of the same is in store for us. The Cowboys and Texans fans have more in common than just the state in which they reside. They both have coaches that a majority of them want gone but are most likely stuck with.

Dear Billy O,

You egotistical ignorant narcissist. You've done more this year to hurt your offense then any defense ever could.

Let's examine what happened today.

You ran on 1st down no matter what for 2 yards against the #1 run defense in the league. The one time you shouldve run on 1st down late in the game to burn clock you didnt (wtf?)

2nd down was the go to down with short passing completions. On rare occasions it worked out because of player performance (not you) ,but mostly, it didnt.

On 3rd down what happened? All long and not manageable. The defense put their ears back and rushed. They hit Watson enough early in the game to shake him. His timing was off. His footwork sucked ,and his accuracy waivered. It had a big impact later in the game. Your stupid game plan allowed that to happen.

You effectively neutered your own offense by stealing a down from them (1st down.) Your so set on your system you cant adapt. You are your own worst enemy and this game optimizes it perfectly.

Congrats on the win. If you were a legit coach, you would've won by at least 2 tds.

Instead of taking to the victory formation BoB called for a Hyde run, opening up the potential for a fumble or a penalty. Sure enough, a holding penalty on the offense was issued. So instead of the game ending with Watson taking a knee the defense had to go back onto the field.

Now I read all week on this board about Watson throwing the ball out of bounds last Sunday instead of taking a sack. I wonder if the same person who parroted that situation will do the same for BoB? A guy who has been coaching for almost as many years as Watson has been alive. Hell, maybe longer, I haven’t looked it up. Or will the BoB supporters find excuses for all the boneheaded mistakes O’Brien made today?

Someone accused me of being a flip-flopper on O’Brien. I defended the guy for four years because I thought he’d improve. I thought he would do as promised and design a game plan on offense that would expose the opponents weaknesses. Well, today was a prime example of why I no longer support BoB as the Texans HC. He’s full of crap. He didn’t adjust his game plan one iota when facing the best run defense in the league. He stubbornly tried to ram the ball up the middle when there wasn’t anything there.

Yes, Watson was off and I’ve never been shy to criticize him. He’s not a top 5 QB and too often plays like a bottom half of the league QB. All the more reason to get BoB the hell out of Houston and search for someone who can get more out of Watson. I know he has the talent, so it’s time for some upgrades on the coaching staff.

All that being said, the Texans have won the AFC South again which assures us more of the same is in store for us. The Cowboys and Texans fans have more in common than just the state in which they reside. They both have coaches that a majority of them want gone but are most likely stuck with.

Great post.

Four division titles in five years. Not bad I suppose if that's all you want. Because it's all you'll get with OB.

Its always better to win the division than not but after this long the exceptions are far larger than simply winning the division. I'd say at most winning it 3x is the limit after that you need to produce results better than a 1-3 playoff record. With that only win being the year Carr was playing well and got hurt.

Congrats to the Texans. I love dominating the division the last half decade we've doing so...but we need to make the most of it. We are one of 12 teams left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back