Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

[ESPN] FB Vonta Leach eyes Texans return?

If Leach cap could be made right, I'd still like to have both and dump a bench guy at another position. BTW, Clutts is still on roster I believe at $555,000 cap space, non guaranteed with no dead $. Not much but that could go to Leach as part of his deal.

If Leach cap could be made right, I'd still like to have both and dump a bench guy at another position. BTW, Clutts is still on roster I believe at $555,000 cap space, non guaranteed with no dead $. Not much but that could go to Leach as part of his deal.

I can see both Leach and Jones ending up on this year's roster.........Leach lives here, identifies with the Texans, likely to give a home town discount............and I truly believe that Kubiak is actively pursuing him........wanting him and the creative FB-heavy packages he and Jones could bring with it for critical situations that the Texans had few answers and little success in the past.

To me, I feel like the reason we kept CLutts on the roster after we signed Jones, was to run a 2 FB set every now and then. IF we could land Leach, I'm certain we release Clutts, and have a great blocking tandem in Leach and Jones.

When Jones gets tired, get Leach in there, or vice versa.

It would be interesting to see a variation of the old T-formation.

T_Formation_PNG.png

There's a 6 page thread about a fullback. My god the off season is long!
And it's gonna seem longer if we get into talking about 2 FB sets. Jiminy Cricket!! A 2 FB set??? Really?? Hell, it might be so crazy it could work a couple of times. :chef:

Hasn't Kubes been keeping 2 FB's of late? Vickers and that other guy both stuck around with Casey. I know the Casey thing was experimental but this isn't a huge departure guys.

We probably still wouldn't PA Fake on 1st Goal w that offense. 3 runs and a FG.
I dunno.... we've done P/A passes out of three TE sets. Snuck one of the TEs into the flat while Schaub/Foster sells the run. Dreessen used to be pretty good at that in the redzone.

No reason why two TEs and 3 RB sets (with Jones on the end like the third TE and Leach in the backfield) wouldn't totally sell the run fake and get one of the TEs loose for an easy catch.

Heck, maybe Schaub could keep it and bootleg it into the endzone....
:hides:

I dunno.... we've done P/A passes out of three TE sets. Snuck one of the TEs into the flat while Schaub/Foster sells the run. Dreessen used to be pretty good at that in the redzone.

No reason why two TEs and 3 RB sets (with Jones on the end like the third TE and Leach in the backfield) wouldn't totally sell the run fake and get one of the TEs loose for an easy catch.

Heck, maybe Schaub could keep it and bootleg it into the endzone....
:hides:

The award for first chuckle of the day goes to you sir. :spit:
Hahaha good way to start a Monday.

Jones was a Pro Bowl Alt in '07 and Leach has gone twice. Personally, Pro Bowl FB means to much to me as Pro Bowl ST'er.

Both guys have proven not only a willingness but a desire to block.

I think lack of team success has hurt jones in some regard. Leach is not head and shoulders better than Greg jones.

I think it was Cushing that said he was glad that he wouldn't have to be meeting jones in the hole anymore when playing the jags.

There's a 6 page thread about a fullback. My god the off season is long!

LOL I had to rep this because I thought the same thing. Six pages on a guy most likely not on the radar just shows how much we miss football.

Hasn't Kubes been keeping 2 FB's of late? Vickers and that other guy both stuck around with Casey. I know the Casey thing was experimental but this isn't a huge departure guys.

No, we just had Vickers and Casey and that was because Casey wasn't a good lead blocker. There wasn't any other FB and of course Casey wasn't just a FB. Jones and Leach are FB's and nothing more. So I would say it's a bit of a reach especially citing the money equation in it all. It would be something else if our FB was...well...Clutts since he's rather poor at blocking. But we're talking Greg Jones one of the better run blocking FB's in the league.

Just doesn't make sense to invest that type of money in one position that sees the field 35-40% of the time.

I think lack of team success has hurt jones in some regard. Leach is not head and shoulders better than Greg jones.

I think it was Cushing that said he was glad that he wouldn't have to be meeting jones in the hole anymore when playing the jags.

Good Lord I butchered that post...glad someone was able to make sense of it.

I think they're easily the best 2 FBs in the league. Can't go wrong with either but can we afford a roster spot for a 2nd FB/STer? That would be one hell of a 2 man "wedge", Leach and Jones.

Good Lord I butchered that post...glad someone was able to make sense of it.

I think they're easily the best 2 FBs in the league. Can't go wrong with either but can we afford a roster spot for a 2nd FB/STer? That would be one hell of a 2 man "wedge", Leach and Jones.

Ooooh... Now THERE'S a very interesting thought...
:texflag:

Just to clarify, I am not calling for sets with two full backs. I am saying I would like to see a more run dominated offense with Foster/ Tate running behind Jones/Leach.

Couple ideas:

1. Could Greg Jones become the #2 RB behind Foster and be used in short yardage? A system where Leach makes a hole for Jones would be potentially scary.

2. Jones has better hands than Leach. Could Jones become the safety valve TE/FB option that acts like a blocker and then drops into the flats to get a pass or two?

3. Use a 2 FB set where each FB runs forward and makes a whole one one side of the OL. This confuses defenses since they don't know which hole the RB would go through. This would make the defense flinch for a second or two which could result in an improved running game.

Why does this keep getting asserted? Jones is a better open field runner I can understand.

I guess I didn't say it as clearly as I wanted. What I mean is he is able to catch the ball a little more easily which enables him to get into his open field running a bit better than Leach. While Leach can certainly catch he is not the same type of open field runner. Jones is a more fluid catcher (i think he was used that way in college too) and can certainly make moves in the open field. Leach is not quite as good, but when he gets the ball will run you over.

I am not sure I would want to sign leach, I was just trying to come up with ways to use him. In a perfect world. I would use the money I would have given leach to resign Winston to play RT...

I guess I didn't say it as clearly as I wanted. What I mean is he is able to catch the ball a little more easily which enables him to get into his open field running a bit better than Leach. While Leach can certainly catch he is not the same type of open field runner. Jones is a more fluid catcher (i think he was used that way in college too) and can certainly make moves in the open field. Leach is not quite as good, but when he gets the ball will run you over.

I am not sure I would want to sign leach, I was just trying to come up with ways to use him. In a perfect world. I would use the money I would have given leach to resign Winston to play RT...
As much as I disliked Winston, I'd go for this. He's much better than what we have to choose from this year, especially early in the year.

"I know I can play in this league, and I've got some teams that are courting me," Leach said Friday, according to the Daily Reflector. "In the next two weeks, I know where I'll be playing."

Leach has called a return to the Houston Texans, where he earned his first Pro Bowl selection in 2010, his first choice. He visited with the Miami Dolphins last week. Nearly every team that features a fullback has been connected to Leach at some point in the last week.

"There are a lot of teams out there that want me; about seven teams," Leach said. "Me and my agent are going to take our time and see what's the best fit for me. I'm probably going to play three more years before I hang it up."
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...each-says-hell-pick-new-team-within-two-weeks

As much as I disliked Winston, I'd go for this. He's much better than what we have to choose from this year, especially early in the year.
I never disliked him, per se, just understood his weaknesses against speed rushers. He's still a better option right now than anything the Texans have ready.

Can we have both?

:kitten:

I never disliked him, per se, just understood his weaknesses against speed rushers. He's still a better option right now than anything the Texans have ready.

Can we have both?

:kitten:

Probably not. There's about 4 or 5 million reasons a year why Winston isn't currently signed. He's probably also going to actually look in earnest for a job once teams are into TC, so he doesn't have to go through that again.

I think Newton was an instant upgrade in pass protection until his injury.

I don't like to "hope" that a guy can return to form when preparing for next year. & being that our new guy is also coming off injury... I really don't like the situation we are in.

Picking up Eric would be nice, we can cross that off the list. But at what cost. I don't think he should play over a healthy Newton. So.... how much money do we want sitting on our bench?

Harris fits that bill. We're not paying him so much that he'll go to waste on our bench. We can cut him before the season starts if Newton & Williams are 100% (which we should know a few weeks into camp).

Worse case scenario, we go into the season with Harris starting & Quiz is our only "healthy" second option. For that to happen, both Newton & Williams has to have major set backs with their injuries.

I think that is an acceptable risk/rewards option & I don't see the point of bringing Winston back.

If I looked at the whole team that way my only concern is NT.

Not because we don't have a big fat guy for the position, but because Eric Mitchell is the only known commodity to me. I don't know any of the back up guys. I've seen Crick take a few snaps there, but I don't think it's a position he can "hold down" if needed.

& Safety. Keo is still too high on the depth chart.

I think Newton was an instant upgrade in pass protection until his injury.

I don't like to "hope" that a guy can return to form when preparing for next year. & being that our new guy is also coming off injury... I really don't like the situation we are in.

Picking up Eric would be nice, we can cross that off the list. But at what cost. I don't think he should play over a healthy Newton. So.... how much money do we want sitting on our bench?

Harris fits that bill. We're not paying him so much that he'll go to waste on our bench. We can cut him before the season starts if Newton & Williams are 100% (which we should know a few weeks into camp).Worse case scenario, we go into the season with Harris starting & Quiz is our only "healthy" second option. For that to happen, both Newton & Williams has to have major set backs with their injuries.

I think that is an acceptable risk/rewards option & I don't see the point of bringing Winston back.

If I looked at the whole team that way my only concern is NT.

Not because we don't have a big fat guy for the position, but because Eric Mitchell is the only known commodity to me. I don't know any of the back up guys. I've seen Crick take a few snaps there, but I don't think it's a position he can "hold down" if needed.

& Safety. Keo is still too high on the depth chart.

I think I know who you meant.

On the other question, my guess is that Harris/Quiz may very well be the two a RT. I have questions of both Newton and Williams being fully game ready by the beginning of the season. I feel that as far as Winston, his idea of a "home town discount" would run something like 1%....he thinks way too much of himself.

Please show some of the 2 FB sets used in the NFL last year.

green bay still runs the full house package, and some of the pistol/option teams are using 3 back sets. of course it's usually 2 halfbacks instead of fullbacks, but i could certainly see kubiak doing something like this, especially late in games with a lead.

Both of the above statements made because Jones is on the roster.

I think I know who you meant.

On the other question, my guess is that Harris/Quiz may very well be the two a RT. I have questions of both Newton and Williams being fully game ready by the beginning of the season. I feel that as far as Winston, his idea of a "home town discount" would run something like 1%....he thinks way too much of himself.

My concern is Williams moreso than Newton. Newton played last year and has some experience. Williams got hurt the first day or two of OTAs. He is WAY behind Quiz and Harris. Considering he is that far behind, I would not be surprised if he is IRed in order to give Quiz and Harris some more snaps. I think we will know in thee first couple of weeks of camp. If they bring in a Winston type at that point it suggests Newton is further behind than indicated. If they don't, perhaps they think Harris/Quiz can hold down the fort until Newton is ready to go.

Year in & year out, MJD has been among the leagues leading rushers.

For those arguing that you don't want to spend money on someone who is going to be playing a lesser percentage of plays.

In 2009, MJD's most productive year, Jones was in on only 40% of total offensive plays. Some positions can create great impact with limited appearances.

Leach was on the field for the Ravens ~ 37% of the offensive plays and ~ the same for the Texans..........but the teams were made much better for it.

John Clayton says we're in on him. Too lazy to grab the quotes from Twitter.

I GUESS they can balance Jones and Leach?

I wouldn't mind having Greg Jones for special teams and as an emergency running back, assuming we pick up Leach. It can't hurt to have a back-up fullback like Jones who is versatile and also cheap.

John Clayton says we're in on him. Too lazy to grab the quotes from Twitter.

I GUESS they can balance Jones and Leach?

Laziness has its rewards.

John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN 21h

It's interesting that former Ravens FB Vonta Leach is talking with his old team, the Texans. He might go to Miami, but Texans are interested

John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN 21h

Two teams other than the Texans and Dolphins are talking to Vonta Leach. He'll pick a team early next week.

I don't see Texans in a bidding war. He went for the money last time and I think he will again.

Every player is different. Shane Lechler would have come to Houston years back but didn't because of his HUGE contract by the Raiders.

Now that money is no longer a necessity he's come here for cheap.

It COULD happen with Leach. He loves it here and he thinks of Houston as his real home.

Every player is different. Shane Lechler would have come to Houston years back but didn't because of his HUGE contract by the Raiders.

Now that money is no longer a necessity he's come here for cheap.

That & there probably isn't a big market for punters right now.

If New York is entering the reach for Leach, that could spark a bidding war.

If we really want Leach, we need to dump Clutts to dilute the market.

Look what Vonta just tweeted:

From THE NEW YORK DAILY NEWS:

With no other fullbacks on the roster, tight end Bear Pascoe filled in at that position during mini-camp, but the Giants would prefer to have a full-time fullback fill that position. The 6-foot-, 260-pound Leach – whom the Giants pursued back in 2007 when they signed him to a restricted free agent offer sheet that the Houston Texans eventually matched -- would be a huge upgrade if the Giants can figure out how to fit him under the salary cap. That won’t be easy, though, because he was cut by the Ravens after they couldn’t reach an agreement on a restructured contract, and a source said he has no intentions of signing anywhere for one year and a minimum salary.

That puts the Giants in a bind because they have only $3.3 million of room under the salary cap according to NFLPA records and the Dolphins, the only team Leach has visited, has $17.6 million of room. The Houston Texans are also interested in Leach, according to a source, but they have even less cap room than the Giants ($2.8 million).

To lure Leach, the Giants would have to get creative to keep the first-year cap number low, and would likely need to offer a multi-year deal. Leach visited the Dolphins on June 12 and they still remain the favorites to sign him. A source said eight teams expressed some interest in signing Leach, but he has no immediate plans to make any more free-agent visits.

Back