Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

I think the coaching staff wasn't all that thrilled with Quin's development. I think that Wade and Vance sat down with Rick and said, "Hey, listen. Quin's been fine so far but we can do better. Why don't we upgrade the position in the short term by getting a more ball-hawking vet and then draft that guy's replacement for the long term, letting they rook learn from a great."

Sure, we could have had Quin signed and on the team for several years but that's not a "fix". That's a "more of the same."

Correct line of thinking but from the wrong source. This McNair quote tells me he might - MIGHT - just have been the man who put this "Go get Ed Reed" move into motion.
As a young team, we had very few veterans for obvious reasons. Now we’re developing those ourselves and then to have the opportunity to bring in somebody like Ed Reed, who has tremendous leadership ability and also bringing a dimension of being a great ball hawk which we have not had. We’ve had some great DBs that are really strong hitters. We haven’t had that guy who is our center fielder though, who can cover all the ground and go after the ball. Ed Reed does that. That’s a dimension that really adds something to our team. It strengthens us greatly. We play the best quarterbacks this year. We’re going to be going up against Manning. We’ll be going up against Brady. We’ll be going up against all these guys and to do that, they’re going to be throwing the ball and we have to be prepared to defend it and go after the ball and get it. It’s ours, isn’t it Ed? That’s his attitude. The ball is in the air, it’s mine. I love it. He’s a solid guy and he’ll be able to help our younger players and strengthen our defense at the same time. Ed, we’re delighted to have you with us.”

I think Uncle Bob stepped in once again.

We will need to get another ILB with good run stop and some cover skills and finally a big mean ass 2-gap NT to allow Manning to play back in a more natural position......a situation that would make a QB think even more before he let's a ball go.

True...... that could work too. & if that's the direction Wade wanted to go with his defense, then I can see how they would value Quin less.

We haven’t had that guy who is our center fielder though, who can cover all the ground and go after the ball. Ed Reed does that. That’s a dimension that really adds something to our team. It strengthens us greatly. We play the best quarterbacks this year. We’re going to be going up against Manning. We’ll be going up against Brady. We’ll be going up against all these guys and to do that, they’re going to be throwing the ball and we have to be prepared to defend it and go after the ball and get it. It’s ours, isn’t it Ed? That’s his attitude. The ball is in the air, it’s mine. I love it. He’s a solid guy and he’ll be able to help our younger players and strengthen our defense at the same time. Ed, we’re delighted to have you with us.”

I think Uncle Bob stepped in once again.

I was kinda thinking along the same lines. Reed told Aj, "Get me to Houston" Aj told coach, Kubiak & Rick had a big laugh about it. Wade walked in, he laughed as well.

Bob walked in, Wade trying to keep a straight face let Bob in on the joke.

He started "three stooging" them & got their minds right.

My whole point is that playing in the NFL is voluntary employment. If the guys are scared of getting hurt then they need to go get regular jobs making what we make. I know a lot of people who have already lost interest in the NFL over how powder puff it has become. They will only begin to lose more and more fans. And they will either have to go back old school or watch the game disappear.

At my job you have to sign a contract just to work here, stating that if you are hurt on the job or have and long term injuries after employment because of work assignments that the company is not liable. NFL implement the same thing and we can go back to some hard hitting.

That contract you had to sign is worth about as much as the paper it's printed on. I realize after all the TORT reform the enumeration isn't what it used to be but rest assured if anyone who signed that contact gets injured through no fault of his own a good personal injury attorney will shred that document in court.

This isn't about Andre getting in the ear of the front office, TK.

Geez Louise, what are you smoking tonight???

I mean, is it possible that the following happening (rather than AJ telling the front office there's this guy named Ed Reed they need to look at):

1. Glover Quin was due a BIG FAT ASS RAISE by somebody, anybody. He got one. Not form us, though. Because the FO knew what was going to happen...some team flush with a bazillion in cap space was going to take a run at one of Wade Phillips' young safeties who has a lot of tread on the tires.

2. While the run-up to free agency is occurring, the front office decides to skip the effort to re-sign Quin...and well, hmmm....WHAT IF we went after Ed Reed since we all know (since we in the front office are connected to the NFL world more than fans are) that the Ravens are going to have a fire sale once Flacco's contract hits the news. Hmmm....that just might be a good temporary fix, let's go talk to Gary and Wade about. And we'll keep Bob in the loop on this, too.

3. OK, so we're all on board with wooing Ed Reed to Houston. Sure, other teams are not making a run at him. But then again, we don't have a free safety anymore and we can draft one for the next two years and hopefully get him going for us OR find another one in FA the next two years. Send the jet, oh and by the way.......

4. ...Someone make sure Andre Johnson is staying in close contact with him. Let's leverage that relationship.

I mean, TK, come on man...you really think Ed Reed is here because he's been popping into Rick Smith's office or email inbox...letting them know we should get Ed Reed?

I'm pretty sure they knew AJ and Ed have had that relationship. Pretty sure they didn't need AJ making a sales job to the FO in order to put Ed on the radar.

The planets aligned in a way that got Ed Reed here, and AJ played a cursory role in it. Period.

Other than the part about Flacco's contract causing a fire sale in Baltimore, this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.

Ed showed his loyalty to Baltimore by chasing the money which wasn't even there. 1 team showed interest in Ed- the Texans. He made double last year than what he will get this year. And the ravens paid him every cent of his 6 yr $46million dollar contract- yet he felt 'disrespected' last year.

I for one am glad we Ravens fans don't have to go through the entire off season wondering "Will Ed retire? Will Ed play?" He has become an attention hog with his ambiguous statements.

The Ravens wanted him back, but not at what he got from the Texans.

I hope you get half of what some of you expect out of him.

Other than the part about Flacco's contract causing a fire sale in Baltimore, this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.

Ed showed his loyalty to Baltimore by chasing the money which wasn't even there. 1 team showed interest in Ed- the Texans. He made double last year than what he will get this year. And the ravens paid him every cent of his 6 yr $46million dollar contract- yet he felt 'disrespected' last year.

I for one am glad we Ravens fans don't have to go through the entire off season wondering "Will Ed retire? Will Ed play?" He has become an attention hog with his ambiguous statements.

The Ravens wanted him back, but not at what he got from the Texans.

I hope you get half of what some of you expect out of him.

Reeds coming home party next season in Baltimore will hopefully be memorable.

Im thinking 3 interceptions and a pick 6

This isn't about Andre getting in the ear of the front office, TK.

Geez Louise, what are you smoking tonight???

I mean, is it possible that the following happening (rather than AJ telling the front office there's this guy named Ed Reed they need to look at):

...this is the best post about Reed in this entire thread.

I wasn't even going to respond... but since our resident ratbird decided to make silly statements... (FYI GP, this is akin to Al Queda wanting Obama in the White House).

I think very little of Rick Smith. If Andre didn't tell Rick (or Gary, or Bob, or whoever he told) that Ed Reed was interested in coming to Houston, I don't think Reed would have been on our radar.

Way off topic. I was going to include this with my previous post, but decided it needed it's own. Probably should be in another thread. But.....

I think highly of Glover Quin. I think Wade thinks highly of Glover Quin. Glover Quin was our best safety last year. They might call him a free safety, but he doesn't play like one. He's in the box more than not. He's manned up on a TE more than not. He rarely plays that "last line of defense" that a FS gives you. When it's just two safeties, Manning is the last line of defense. When it's three safeties, Demps/Keo is the last line of defense (I don't understand it either, but that's the way it was). 14 passes defensed. That means he was in someone's grille when they were trying to catch the ball.

He gave up some TDs, PFF has him ranked very low among safeties. & there are reasons for that. But, when I watched the games, two players stood out to me in our secondary as playing above the bar.... Kj (16 passes defensed) & Quin. Everyone else was reacting to the ball carrier. Kj & Quin weren't allowing the offensive player to become the "ball carrier".

I think Quin is not a Texans, because Reed has something the Texans wanted & they value more than what Quin had to offer. Glover Quin is going to have a long successful career. I don't know that he'll ever be a super star (like Reed) but he's not going to get cut next year because the Lions think his production isn't worth it (ala Winston).

An interesting take on Reed, and some interesting facts about and statements by Reed worth reading .
628x471.jpg

Cool picture.

I liked this snippet.
He wasn't worth that price to the Ravens, not in the salary-cap era of the NFL. Baltimore is rebuilding, and a 34-year-old who has dropped off doesn't fit the model.

I think Quin is not a Texans, because Reed has something the Texans wanted & they value more than what Quin had to offer. Glover Quin is going to have a long successful career. I don't know that he'll ever be a super star (like Reed) but he's not going to get cut next year because the Lions think his production isn't worth it (ala Winston).
Yep, and these PFF ratings highlight the difference:

Ed Reed rated 17th out of 88 Safeties in pass coverage,
Glover Quin rated 66th out of 88 in pass coverage.

Glover Quin rated 9th out of 88 Safeties in run defense,
Ed Reed rated 70th out of 88 in run defense.

What it also highlights is the Texans are going to have to get much better up the middle against the run with Reed in there. NT, ILB need upgrades.

An interesting take on Reed, and some interesting facts about and statements by Reed worth reading .

CnD,

Thanks for the link. Good article, but I didn't really like his take away that Reed isn't as smart as people think. As an athlete and someone who spent 25 years in the military (probably shows I'm not too smart either), if you love what you do or play, most of us keep doing it until we truly can't do it any longer. Call it the heart of a warrior or stupidity; I don't really care what the media puppets say.

This Teddy Roosevelt quote is something I've recalled frequently through my life and one that I think embodies guys like Ed Reed and Mr. Harvey (The Critic)...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

I wasn't even going to respond... but since our resident ratbird decided to make silly statements... (FYI GP, this is akin to Al Queda wanting Obama in the White House).

I think very little of Rick Smith. If Andre didn't tell Rick (or Gary, or Bob, or whoever he told) that Ed Reed was interested in coming to Houston, I don't think Reed would have been on our radar.

That's a dumb statement- you act all important and then post this? Shame on you.

Smith got to be the GM by knowing something; but of course, you know better.

I understand now. Its all about the "U" and the relationships made there.

Yep, and these PFF ratings highlight the difference:

Ed Reed rated 17th out of 88 Safeties in pass coverage,
Glover Quin rated 66th out of 88 in pass coverage.

Glover Quin rated 9th out of 88 Safeties in run defense,
Ed Reed rated 70th out of 88 in run defense.

What it also highlights is the Texans are going to have to get much better up the middle against the run with Reed in there. NT, ILB need upgrades.

Reed played mostly CF where as Quin came down to run with the TEs a lot; so they have different roles really.

Reed missed an awful lot tackles.
I didn't watch every game, but I think PFF or some site keeps track of those things.

I watched the Ravens play-offs games and a few others, and the pattern holds.

Granted, I think our guys are more disciplined in run support, and that should help Reed. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the number of misses by Reed would have been less with the Texans; at least, I hope so.

But the fact is that Reed did miss a lot of tackles (I think it was something like 1.5 per reg season game, a number that he cut down to about 1 in the play-offs.)

Some of the misses were because he "kinda" go for it all, instead of playing it safe by breaking down and wait for the play to come to him.

If you complain about Keo, you would be horrified watching those misses, at least 2 of them resulting in TDs (even though I wouldn't hold it solely against him.)

Sounds like you're butthurt your boy reed left. Your boy flake-o holds the key to the basement your ratbirds are going to be in for the next 5 years. Have fun looking up at the Bengals and Steelers bro. :lol:

Not butt hurt at all- I liked Ed, but Ed Reed isn't Ed Reed anymore. Gambles too much, is wrong a lot, cannot wrap up and leaves CB's stranded a lot. Other than that, he is a fine addition to the Texans.

Ravens lose more FA's than anyone else in the league, year after year. Since the inception of the Compensatory Pick in 1994 (2 years before the Ravens existed), the Ravens have been awarded the most picks for FA leaving because we are successful and win on a consistent basis.

Better to let a player go a year too early, than a year too late....

Reed played mostly CF where as Quin came down to run with the TEs a lot; so they have different roles really.

Reed missed an awful lot tackles.
I didn't watch every game, but I think PFF or some site keeps track of those things.

I watched the Ravens play-offs games and a few others, and the pattern holds.

Granted, I think our guys are more disciplined in run support, and that should help Reed. I don't know how to explain it, but I think the number of misses by Reed would have been less with the Texans; at least, I hope so.

But the fact is that Reed did miss a lot of tackles (I think it was something like 1.5 per reg season game, a number that he cut down to about 1 in the play-offs.)

Some of the misses were because he "kinda" go for it all, instead of playing it safe by breaking down and wait for the play to come to him.

If you complain about Keo, you would be horrified watching those misses, at least 2 of them resulting in TDs (even though I wouldn't hold it solely against him.)

Good post- Ed did miss a bunch last year, as well as blown coverage and gambling for the big play resulting in TDs....

My bad, folks.
I just verified the stats and Reed was charged for missing 15 tackles in the regular season; still an alarming number though.

Here's PFF study of 3 years (2009-11) of DBs' tackling.
Reed was not on the bad list for those years; but if you pro-rate 15*3=45, it would put him at second worse.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/06/three-years-of-tackling-efficiency-defensive-backs/

I hope it was just a combination of other things that I mentioned in the previous post and not a thing to come.

Well, let me take it back once more; I didn't count the number of total snaps and the number of tackles attempted.

If I did, I'm sure Reed is not #2 worse.
He should be quite better (I estimate), but again, it was a lot of misses.

That's a dumb statement- you act all important and then post this? Shame on you.

Smith got to be the GM by knowing something; but of course, you know better.

I understand now. Its all about the "U" and the relationships made there.

Smith got to be the GM by knowing Kubiak.

Granted, he & the scouting dept has been doing an above average job in the draft & Identifying lesser known free agents. He's done an excellent job of getting stop gaps in the middle of the season.

But, imo, he's done a poor job of attracting top tier talent to the Texans. Yes, he gets a point for bringing in Jjo, another for Manning. But he started out trying to get Aso..... worked out for us that he couldn't land Aso. He couldn't land Boden. & there was a time there that I thought he missed on Reed. I'll give him a point for that one.

But... his overall record is week for attracting top tier talent & orchestrating trades. Things that go into making a great GM, in addition to drafting players. He's also on the fence for managing the cap.

No doubt in my mind that had Aj not let the Texans know that Reed was interested, we wouldn't have looked in his direction. Maybe a dumb statement. But I think his track record supports it.

Not only that, but replacing Quin was not a "need" most of us thought resigning Quin was top priority... or at least one of the top priorities. Replacing Demps & Keo was a "need"

Smith got to be the GM by knowing Kubiak.

Granted, he & the scouting dept has been doing an above average job in the draft & Identifying lesser known free agents. He's done an excellent job of getting stop gaps in the middle of the season.

But, imo, he's done a poor job of attracting top tier talent to the Texans. Yes, he gets a point for bringing in Jjo, another for Manning. But he started out trying to get Aso..... worked out for us that he couldn't land Aso. He couldn't land Boden. & there was a time there that I thought he missed on Reed. I'll give him a point for that one.

But... his overall record is week for attracting top tier talent & orchestrating trades. Things that go into making a great GM, in addition to drafting players. He's also on the fence for managing the cap.

No doubt in my mind that had Aj not let the Texans know that Reed was interested, we wouldn't have looked in his direction. Maybe a dumb statement. But I think his track record supports it.

Not only that, but replacing Quin was not a "need" most of us thought resigning Quin was top priority... or at least one of the top priorities. Replacing Demps & Keo was a "need"

The money behind the GM has a lot to do with it as well IMO. The texas for the most part have not been known to overpay.

I'll never get this kind of criticism of any GM. Nothing saying we "couldn't" get Aso or Bodden. It's a negotiation and the two sides didn't come to terms. You're acting like Rick was just a poor salesman on the Texans and a good one could have gotten Aso to sign for $7 mil less which is pretty silly.

Well, let me take it back once more; I didn't count the number of total snaps and the number of tackles attempted.

If I did, I'm sure Reed is not #2 worse.
He should be quite better (I estimate), but again, it was a lot of misses.

Reed missed 15 tackles in the regular season, tying him for 7th worst out of 87 safeties. Quin missed 7 in about the same # of snaps.

Other regular season: Michael Griffin 22, Thomas DeCoud 21, Malcolm Jenkins 20, Earl Thomas(!) 17.

Postseason: Reed missed 6 tackles, worst overall. But he also had the most opportunities by 2 or 3 times, and Pollard was right there with him @5.

Not butt hurt at all- I liked Ed, but Ed Reed isn't Ed Reed anymore. Gambles too much, is wrong a lot, cannot wrap up and leaves CB's stranded a lot. Other than that, he is a fine addition to the Texans.

Ravens lose more FA's than anyone else in the league, year after year. Since the inception of the Compensatory Pick in 1994 (2 years before the Ravens existed), the Ravens have been awarded the most picks for FA leaving because we are successful and win on a consistent basis.

So this year should be like the others? Your just gonna rebuild your defense and Jacoby is gonna step into the shoes of Bolden?

Lol. Now that is some funny chit right there.

Reed missed 15 tackles in the regular season, tying him for 7th worst out of 87 safeties. Quin missed 7 in about the same # of snaps.

Other regular season: Michael Griffin 22, Thomas DeCoud 21, Malcolm Jenkins 20, Earl Thomas(!) 17.

Postseason: Reed missed 6 tackles, worst overall. But he also had the most opportunities by 2 or 3 times, and Pollard was right there with him @5.

Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

ed reed might also be on the injury report with potentially a torn shoulder.

Myself and a few goal keepers I know had this same injury and surgery to fix it. This is what I know about a torn labrum:

Its inevitably going to subluxate at different points while playing and doing routine things in everyday life, you usually loose feeling in the arm for a little bit, but it's an injury you can play through. The more it subluxates, the longer it will take you to recover, but the recovering from SLAP surgery is general 1 months of rest, 1 month of light lifting, and 4 months of strengthening. If he was a pitcher, it would be a different story, but overall it's something Ed Reed can play through.

You're right, he can play through it. BUT, if it is a significant torn labrum, he might be able to play through the pain and pursue and tackle, but he will have a significant limitation of range of motion of his shoulder, particularly raising his arm above his head. If our QB favors high throws this game, Reed may end up looking like a rookie.........an unprepared rookie. And don't expect him to go out of his way for "unnecessary" contact.

This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.

Earlier in this thread, I reported his missed tackles stats last year. This has not been characteristic for Reed. It brings up the recollection of one of my posts in the thread last year "Ravens Injuries," prior to the Ravens - Texans game.

This type of injury does not "heal." If not major, in some cases, it may at least for some indeterminate period of time, be compensated for by concentrated muscle strengthening of the muscles of the shoulder, much like a rotator cuff. It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

This injury can have varying degrees of pain with full range of motion of the shoulder, and be accompanied by significant range of motion limitations, consistent with a safety "missing" tackles. The player will tend to avoid direct shoulder contact, will demonstrate less strength in wrapping, and certainly avoid one-handed tackles that could bend the involved shoulder/arm backwards.

I would look for these patterns to be lessened with offseason "rest" and concentrated rehab strengthening, as long as the injury has not already progressed too far.......and he does not sustain further injury to the shoulder.

Your always full of good news, Doc.

This type of injury does not "heal."

It is very prone to re-injury/extended injury which with each incident increases the chance that surgical repair would be necessary.

Good news, bad news... Nobody knows what to expect in the future.

Ah well, just hope for the best, I guess!

As always, thanks for the info, Doc.

when i think of ed reed as a texan i immediately think of 2 games. first being the colts loss and our deep safety (pleasant?) missing badly and letting t.y. hilton go for a big touchdown on 3rd and long. we played a lot of single high man to man, but had extremely poor play from our safety especially late in the season. the next game is against the packers where we went man to man across the board, and aaron rodgers was throwing it deep with success all day. ed reed's not one we're going to leave underneath very often like quin, he's going to change the gameplan against the long ball teams and most certainly gives quarterbacks pause when looking for the deep throw.

this doesnt change the need to replace what quin did in coverage, but those responsibilities need to be on the linebackers. quin was doing cushing's job as often as not, so having cush back will make a huge difference, but we still need improved cover abilities at the other ILB position. someone who can stay on the field in nickel packages gives a much more complete defense.

One of my friends ran into Ed Reed at Mo's Steakhouse on Friday. Apparently Lechler was there too, but she didn't get a pic with him.

554561_10151577373592813_875094772_n.jpg

It's a great start.

And ?.......

I like how Ravens Fan says to us:

Ed Reed won't matter because he's not a QB and you have QB problems

Yet Ravens Fan doesn't realize that his team losing EIGHT starters (not 2nd stringers, by the way, s-t-a-r-t-e-r-s) and signing Elvis Dumervil doesn't help them cope with the loss of EIGHT starters, most of which were on defense at key positions that are now vacant of talent and veteran leadership.

Personally, even though we have a QB problem, our roster is more talented and more solid and experienced than the Ravens' roster is now. What they lost, eight starters, cannot be made up by the signing of Dumervil. I'd rather have our problems than the Ravens' problems.

Might not win a ring, and frankly that the Ravens lucked their way into a SB title and now there's little trolls acting like they are truly "the best" and how Ed Reed is suddenly garbage and is washed up, makes me laugh. I guess when you win a ring you get to point to it and make fun of others...even when that time is gone and a new season is emerging right around the corner.

That's why I hope the Ravens go on a streak of like 6+ seasons of having a middle-of-the-record record, something like 6-10 or 8-8 so that they don't make the playoffs but they also don't get a high draft pick. And then let's see how much money Flacco is worth. And how it hamstrings what they can do for the next few seasons.

Cyclical. Everything comes around.

While I agree with the yr to early philosophy,

Ed looked good in the playoffs this yr and I remember him against the Texans 2 yrs ago. His injued labrum caused the tackling problems and I can remember games that he would be in position to break up a pass and couldn't because he couldn't raise his arm above his head.

So Reed has a torn labrum?????

So Reed has a torn labrum?????

I believe Dwight Howard has been playing with a torn labrum for basically the whole season now. It really hasn't effected him that much.

I know different sport, but still. I think it's not a cause for concern. He has the whole offseason to heal.

While I agree with the yr to early philosophy,

Ed looked good in the playoffs this yr and I remember him against the Texans 2 yrs ago. His injued labrum caused the tackling problems and I can remember games that he would be in position to break up a pass and couldn't because he couldn't raise his arm above his head.

The Labrum Tear didn't prevent that- it was his nerve impingement.

Back