Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Funny, conflicting story
Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson suggested Reed and Michael Huff are similar players at this stage of their careers.
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/259093/football-headlines?r=1

I find it interesting that they are "similar" players at this stage of their careers. One of them misses tackles, because his timing's a little off, he doesn't pack the punch he once had, & players tend to leap frog him far too often. The other misses tackles because he gets trucked, ran over, & at times avoids contact.

Hmmm... I don't think that's similar at all.

Maybe this is the year the Patriots slide a little, the Ravens slide a little, and we've made some acquisitions and draft picks AND stay healthy enough to maybe get to the AFCC and even the Super Bowl.

It's rare nowadays that the best team in football wins the Super Bowl. Who'd have thunk the Ravens had a shot at the end of December? Other than the shot that all teams have by making the play-offs. Not that I'm hating on the Ravens, but I thought they would be 1 & Done, especially since their first game was against the team I thought was the best in the AFC at the time. Denver.

We don't need the Patriots to slide (I know you said we needed them to be off their game last season for us to stand a chance to beat them & you were right.. I was wrong). What we need is for our guys to man up when they need to, on both sides of the ball when it counts.

With Reed, Wade may go to single high safety look

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 4m
I'd look for a few teams to copy the SEA secondary in this draft…Big CB's, 1 run stuffing safety, 1 over the top/floating safety.

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 2m
A few years ago, everyone was obsessed with having "interchangeable" safeties…SEA has teams re-thinking that setup.

With Reed, Wade may go to single high safety look

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 4m
I'd look for a few teams to copy the SEA secondary in this draft…Big CB's, 1 run stuffing safety, 1 over the top/floating safety.

Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks 2m
A few years ago, everyone was obsessed with having "interchangeable" safeties…SEA has teams re-thinking that setup.

Gee.... that's what we did last year.

And I wouldn't exactly say it worked all that well.

I dont feel they were running the right personnel. Manning cant cover over the top, he needs to be in the box, not Quin. This year with Reed in center field, Manning can use some of the physicality to meet at the point of attack, but also to cover the quicker tight ends and not get overpowered by them.

I'm not sure about a hip labrum, but the labrum surgery on my shoulder took for ever to feel right again. Either way, expect DJ and the other young safeties to get a lot of reps throughout this off season

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 2m
The Texans are hopeful safety Ed Reed will be ready for camp after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair small tear in labrum in his hip

I'm not sure about a hip labrum, but the labrum surgery on my shoulder took for ever to feel right again. Either way, expect DJ and the other young safeties to get a lot of reps throughout this off season

I think the "hip" part is wrong.

He played most of last season with a torn labrum, right? We knew that, didn't we?

I think it may be a blessing in disguise in a way. Not only will DJ get a lot of reps, but it'll give Pleasant a good chance to separate himself from Keo. Reed's presence in the locker room alone will help out these young guys through OTAs and minicamps. Just be ready for week 1 Ed!

I think the "hip" part is wrong.

He played most of last season with a torn labrum, right? We knew that, didn't we?

Yeah, I'd heard about the issue with the labrum in the shoulder around mid season or so. This is the 1st I've heard of the hip labrum injury. There are multiple people reporting the hip, so maybe it's something new?

I think it may be a blessing in disguise in a way. Not only will DJ get a lot of reps, but it'll give Pleasant a good chance to separate himself from Keo. Reed's presence in the locker room alone will help out these young guys through OTAs and minicamps. Just be ready for week 1 Ed!

Good point.

Yeah, I'd heard about the issue with the labrum in the shoulder around mid season or so. This is the 1st I've heard of the hip labrum injury. There are multiple people reporting the hip, so maybe it's something new?

Right, I have read about the hip several times in the past week or so. I would say that it is his hip and not a mistake.

I guess an old Ed Reed beats a young Shiloh Keo. Anybody agree? OK, Agreed.

That's not looking so good right now.

With whom? Ed Reed? Hate to break it to you, but Quin was better than Reed this year. You think Quin is replaceable with a rookie? Rookies make lots of dumb mistakes, and safety is the last line of defense - kind of where you don't want rookie mistakes. So you just coached up Quin for four years and then let him go just to start that cycle over again.

Ultimately, I agree with you that Quin is replaceable, but I don't see anything the Texans did in preparing to replace him, nor do I see Ed Reed as a replacement. So if he's replaceable, let's see them replace him.

That's fine, but then you're basically admitting that they haven't prepared for his replacement and in fact will not be replacing him this season at all. They'll just be going with a stopgap. So I take you back to your original statement - if Quin is replaceable, then why the hell aren't they replacing him? Hint: He's not so replaceable right now.

Also, your assertion would make a lot more sense if they had even offered Quin a contract before he went to Detroit. They never offered him anything at all, which tells me they aren't even trying to keep him.

If they were in win now mode, they'd put the best players on the field. That would be Glover Quin ahead of Ed Reed, sad to say.

$6M a year is just freakin' ridiculous. Yeah, Rick Smith is looking smarter every day, right?

I am convinced Ed Reed is still the same player he once was.

Yeah, not so much.

Back