Thanks for your support!

Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Nick Scurfield @ NickScurfield
"I've been able to win a championship
with Andre Johnson. There’s no other
person that I want to help more to do
that." Ed Reed #Texans

We're ready as well Ed!!

Yeah I'm listening to the presser live, that was the one part that caught my ear so far. I liked that!

3 years, $15 mill, and only $5 mill guaranteed?

No wonder Ed was trying to work the phones and get more. And no wonder it took him so long to sign.

That doesn't look "desperate" at all from our side.

Good job, Rick!

NFLN just said Reed deal is 3yrs 16mil 5 mil guaranteed

3 years, $15 mill, and only $5 mill guaranteed?

No wonder Ed was trying to work the phones and get more. And no wonder it took him so long to sign.

That doesn't look "desperate" at all from our side.

Good job, Rick!

According to this, it's 3 years for a max of $15M.
http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000152762/reed-signs-threeyear-15m-deal-with-texans/

Reed will get $6M the first year.
I guess that will be the cap hit for 2013 as well.

He seems legitimately excited to be in Houston and playing with the rest of the Texans' defense. It is going to be awesome to see him in the secondary this year!

reedjersey_zps34027f43.png

:kitten:

So was he there when Ohio State beat Dre in 2002?

I had been weary of this signing, but now that the numbers are out holy crap. This deal is so good for so many reasons! Love it.

I'm not certain how the Reed signing's going to work out here, but I know this, he seems like an awesome dude. Seeing him cuttin up with McNair while taking the pictures was great. Seems like a down to Earth cat to me

Welcome to H-town, Edward

Seeing the contract now I have to say that is a great signing for very little risk for the Texans. I think they know that he's not the solution they need for the long term, but it's nice that if he doesn't perform this year they can cut him and not be dealing with his contract for the next couple of years.

Honestly, I didn't think this signing was going to happen, and was also not very high on it initially, but I have to admit that I am pretty pumped about it now.
My impression is that Reed would never have considered signing with the Texans unless he thought they had a legit chance to win it all. Just listening to him speak, you can tell he really believes they can win a championship.

He played some for the Broncos in 2011 and was signed to a reserve/future contract recently. I guess he's still a bubble player .

Considering he was an UDFA, thats pretty good that he has still managed to hang around on a roster. There are lots of guys who were drafted in 2009 and are now out of the league.

Considering he was an UDFA, thats pretty good that he has still managed to hang around on a roster. There are lots of guys who were drafted in 2009 and are now out of the league.

If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of undrafted free agents are out of the league within a year.

Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing how that worked itself out. Hopefully it was something positive like the Ahman Green/Jason Simmons thing.

Usually, there is money from the vet either to the player directly or a charity (see Green case). as much a goodwill move on the vet's part as anything.

Usually, there is money from the vet either to the player directly or a charity (see Green case). as much a goodwill move on the vet's part as anything.

That's the thing. Reed didn't even know. Ganguli heard what Reed was saying to McNair. So, it was the Texans that took the number. Or Roc offered it up

Tania Ganguli‏@taniaganguli16m
"I thought someone else had it. I thought we were gonna have to have a conversation," Reed on this jersey

At 5 mil guaranteed it tells me if Reed continues his decline HOU can cut him next year with no dead money. I am hoping HOU drafts a S to learn under Reed this year.

Ok so he's only guaranteed $5M but he can earn $6M in the first year.

I'm thinking $5M signing bonus and $1M base.
The $1M base will need to be prorated over the games played; ie. he only earns the full $1M if he play all 16 games.

Or perhaps, there's a bonus for making it to the play-offs?

If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of undrafted free agents are out of the league within a year.

Yeah, I think Jeremiah Johnson has done pretty well for an UDFA; I remember linking some videos showing his mean stiff arm in his evaluation thread.

There's still a remote chance. Reed hasn't put pen to contract - our contract - yet. I think he's still hoping Ozzie coughs up a few more bucks to let him come back to the Ravens.

Ozzie's Philosophy is always "Right player/Right Price".

And he would always rather let a player go 1 year too early than 1 year too late.

Ozzie's Philosophy is always "Right player/Right Price".

And he would always rather let a player go 1 year too early than 1 year too late.

It's wise to do this right now after a SB win when he pretty much has carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the roster. Nobody is going to howl for Newsome to go because most of the defense left this offseason.

It's wise to do this right now after a SB win when he pretty much has carte blanche to do whatever he wants with the roster. Nobody is going to howl for Newsome to go because most of the defense left this offseason.

Its more about Harbaugh flexing his muscles than Newsome.

Man, how can you not be excited as a Texans fan!! :texflag: :fans:

I always sort of dreaded when the Texans played the Ravens because of Ed Reed. I remember the last couple of years telling my buddy how awesome it would be to have a dude of his caliber on the team. News is still sinking in, but wow, this is fantastic.

Last edited:
BTW, he already has the #20. I guess Carmichael just handed it over or something?

They probably just made it for the press conference (that's probably why they were waiting so long to announce it). It's like the Watt or Mario jersey with the #1 on it. Doesn't really mean anything.

OTH, I bet there will be a few days this offseason where Carmichael doesn't have a job if he doesn't agree to relinquish the number.

"Man, I hope this new guy never runs with the Twos. He'll pick off everything I throw deep. Just like he did in that playoff game."

Signed, T. J. Yates

:bender:

Seriously, regarding the as-reported contract structure...

:bravo: :fans: :bravo:

I really liked McNair's comments at the press conference. You can tell he's become quite the student of the game.

Great job by Rick Smith getting this deal done along with retaining McCain. However, the game of football will always be won in the trenches and it seems like this area has gone largely neglected the past few offseasons. This team really needs a NT and RT.

Great job by Rick Smith getting this deal done along with retaining McCain. However, the game of football will always be won in the trenches and it seems like this area has gone largely neglected the past few offseasons. This team really needs a NT and RT.

Heard of that JJ Watt guy? He was recently drafted. Might even play in the trenches. Last years #1 too.

Are you so negative about everything in life?!? Good lord, enjoy the moment.

Yeah. We haven't drafted any offensive or defensive linemen the past couple of years.

Oh.

Wait.

:wadepalm:

Its more about Harbaugh flexing his muscles than Newsome.

Or it's more about Flacco's contract flexing the muscles.

But yeah, if the idea that Newsome is smart or Harbaugh is flexing muscles helps Ravens fans cope with the departure of six key players in one off-season...sure, whatev.

I'll say this: I'd blow this team up, too, if meant we had just won a Super Bowl. You guys have what, two titles? And even after the first title, your team was still extremely competitive every single year it seemed.

Our owner has always stated or hinted that the Baltimore Ravens are a team he admires in many ways. You guys got Leach, Pollard and Jones from us. It remains to be seen, but hopefully us getting Reed from you guys will boost us into hopefully at least an AFCC game.

Back