Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ed Reed agrees to terms with Texans

Why does it say 2 years on NFL.com?

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000152356/

Because the they "agreed to terms" and didn't sign a contract yet. Once they get a deal signed and sent to the NFL office, someone will leak a copy and we'll find out how much it is and how much is guaranteed.

I'm crossing my fingers that it's a 3 year deal worth 3m, 3m, 10m... :)

That is what I have been hearing and reading all day, that it was a 2 year deal worth roughly 7-7.5 mil with a 3rd year option....

That was why I asked where the 16 mil for 3 years was coming from...

Jason LaCanfora reported the 3 year 16m numbers. He's usually pretty good about getting that stuff right, but not perfect. I'm hoping the 2 year 7.5m report is correct, because that would be a great deal for us.

Because the they "agreed to terms" and didn't sign a contract yet. Once they get a deal signed and sent to the NFL office, someone will leak a copy and we'll find out how much it is and how much is guaranteed.

Jason LaCanfora reported the 3 year 16m numbers. He's usually pretty good about getting that stuff right, but not perfect. I'm hoping the 2 year 7.5m report is correct, because that would be a great deal for us.

Hell now I am reading 2yrs $12 mil ...if this is true, ouch...

$6M per is what I thought it would come down, too.
I would hate for it have a higher price tag, but I'm willing to go with 6.

If he signs for cheaper; great.
if he signs for 6, I don't mind.
Sometimes, you've got to pay to play.

Hopefully, there's an incentive bonus in there.

I was expecting 2 years in the 10-12 million range. So if this is true, I've got no problem with it.

Someone said 2 years 7 mill total... if that's true then ... Rick Smith deserves an award of some sort.

I think the 7 million number is what might be guaranteed. At least that's what I gathered from yesterday.

I don't think the 3 year 16 mill deal that's being thrown around is that bad either. The odds of him seeing that 3rd year is prob slim to none. The only numbers that really matter to me are the cap numbers anyway.

Can you imagine what this is going to do for players like JJo, and Manning. Now they get to just play. For players like KJax, and Demps and Harris, and not to mention any safety we draft, this is going to be a chance for them to see a real All Pro go to work.

Why does it say 2 years on NFL.com?

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000152356/

That is what I have been hearing and reading all day, that it was a 2 year deal worth roughly 7-7.5 mil with a 3rd year option....

That was why I asked where the 16 mil for 3 years was coming from...

I think the 7 million number is what might be guaranteed. At least that's what I gathered from yesterday.

I don't think the 3 year 16 mill deal that's being thrown around is that bad either. The odds of him seeing that 3rd year is prob slim to none. The only numbers that really matter to me are the cap numbers anyway.

Crap. Sounds like nobody knows for sure and we ain't heard a peep out of the Texans or chirp (a "twit"?) out of Reed.

Craig Roberts (92.1 FM) just said (as of 1:15 pm, 3/21/13) that Reed has not actually signed anything yet.

Crap. Sounds like nobody knows for sure and we ain't heard a peep out of the Texans or chirp (a "twit"?) out of Reed.

Craig Roberts (92.1 FM) just said (as of 1:15 pm, 3/21/13) that Reed has not actually signed anything yet.

Bob's jet broke down ?

I'm guessing the full value if the deal is laden with incentives.

Play > 12 games = $$$$
Win the superbowl = $$$$
Make the probowl = $$$$$
Lead the league in INTS = $$$$

The Texans don't say anything until the ink hits the paper.

I think everyone knows he hasn't signed anything. They've only "agreed with the terms" of a deal. Working on the verbiage of the deal

The Texans don't say anything until the ink hits the paper.

I think everyone knows he hasn't signed anything. They've only "agreed with the terms" of a deal. Working on the verbiage of the deal

There's also a chance that he backs out and signs somewhere else, like Baltimore...

It's rare that a player would do that, but it has happened before.

There's also a chance that he backs out and signs somewhere else, like Baltimore...

It's rare that a player would do that, but it has happened before.

Really? Wow. Can you provide an example? I would love to hear who has made an agreement and then backed out?

The 1st that comes to my mind

free-agent wide receiver Az-Zahir Hakim on Friday afternoon backed out of a contract agreement with the Kansas City Chiefs, a deal that would have reunited him with head coach Dick Vermeil.

At his age the third year could be a team option with heavy money in first two + bonus to get him to sign. Either way this coud be a hit to cap.

Arian Foster!
agreed with Chicago on one year deal but the Texans lured him away with a 2 year deal.

Got a link for that. I don't remember there ever being an agreement in place with the Bears. They offered their deal, we offered ours and he chose us

Arian Foster!
agreed with Chicago on one year deal but the Texans lured him away with a 2 year deal.

Got a link for that. I don't remember there ever being an agreement in place with the Bears. They offered their deal, we offered ours and he chose us

That was my thought as well. I was under the impression that Chicago offered a 1 yr deal whereas Htown offered him a 2 year deal because they really wanted him. If memory serves, didn't the team also sign Jeremiah Johnson that year as an UDFA as well?

Don't like the guy...but DO respect him as an athlete. Welcome aboard "Broke jaw". Looks like Flacco's over rated (and now over paid) ass getting that disproportionate contract will be to our advantage. I hope the referees don't start treating him differently because he's a Texan now.

That was my thought as well. I was under the impression that Chicago offered a 1 yr deal whereas Htown offered him a 2 year deal because they really wanted him. If memory serves, didn't the team also sign Jeremiah Johnson that year as an UDFA as well?

Yes. I really thought Jeremiah was going to be a good player for us, too.

Yeah...someone mentioned that earlier. :wadepalm:

Complete fail on my part.

If it makes you feel better, they copied it on the Ravens board & they had a good chuckle too.

Whibbley-O! said:
Decided to read some of the Houston fan forums to gauge their reaction. From what I gauge, they are more excited than we are disappointed. Lots of enthusiasm mixed with some people saying "geez, how old is he? no thanks."

I like this quote from that Texans' thread, Post #1749:

>>
Where is everybody getting the idea that Reed is going to be effective roaming over the top? He was an OLB, and apparently they're converting him. Why? Has he done anything to suggest he knows what he's doing? This is a completely different role and people are just assuming he's going to flourish.
<<

:slaphead:

If it makes you feel better, they copied it on the Ravens board & they had a good chuckle too.

Probably for the same reason they assume Ray Lewis ISN'T AT LEAST an accessory to murder, Flacco is anything but a lucky a-hole who'll never get another Stupor Bowl ring as a starting QB OR that Judas Jones is worth the RIDICULOUS contract they just gave him. If they think that Jones is worth more to their team than Ed Reed then they're TRULY as stupid as I thought them to be.

Haha, that's golden. I just couldn't make the connection that Reed --> Ed Reed. It's going to be weird seeing him in a Texans unifrom.

Golden!? You just set us back a decade in terms of earning respect as fans. That was a really really bad d'oh moment for you.

:heart:

Kelli Johnson &#8207;@kjohnsoncsn 21m Sources tell me Ed Reed is on his way to Houston! Texans and Reed still hashing out details but they're very close to finalizing deal.

He's on his way to Houston right now. Just chill outl

hominoidmap_trans.png

Quasi-Confirmed Ed Reed sightings since the start of free agency...

Back