Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Obviously the police have been investigating also. We don't have all the access to that information at this point in time, and we pride ourselves on not interfering in that, being as cooperative as we can to make sure we get all the facts.

"But I think that process is still ongoing, and until that process isn't ongoing and we have enough data and enough information to be able to make a determination of whether he should go on commissioner exempt, we don't feel we have that necessary information at this point."

Odd. Could have sworn he said it would be done by the trade deadline if not last week. Is he now saying the Dolphins think the legal issues will be resolved by the trade deadline?

Doesn’t sound reasonable to me
If reads more to me like a fluff piece.
The Texans have worked hard to put a really good deal in place. Watson can go to the team he wants, the Texans get great compensation. Everybody’s happy.

Oh dear deal can’t go through due to Watson’s legal issues which is no fault of the team but Watson’s own issue.

They are just reminding the press that this mess isn’t their fault, even though it is really because they knew before signing the contract but didn’t care until it effected them.

My one hope is that somebody mentioned on here a theory that Watson is waiting to settle until he’s got the trade he wants trying to keep his price down. Maybe he does that with this deal in place.

But overall I think this is a vanity project by the Texans to shift the blame for Watson’s situation onto Watson.

The Texans have worked hard to put a really good deal in place. Watson can go to the team he wants, the Texans get great compensation. Everybody’s happy.

Oh dear deal can’t go through due to Watson’s legal issues which is no fault of the team but Watson’s own issue.

They are just reminding the press that this mess isn’t their fault, even though it is really because they knew before signing the contract but didn’t care until it effected them.

My one hope is that somebody mentioned on here a theory that Watson is waiting to settle until he’s got the trade he wants trying to keep his price down. Maybe he does that with this deal in place.

But overall I think this is a vanity project by the Texans to shift the blame for Watson’s situation onto Watson.
"I think this is a vanity project by the Texanns to shift the blame for Watson's situation onto Watson." Huh??

Last edited:
The only way the NFL would suspend him is if some woke group started making noise. That woke group would have to be one who is not happy with the way the NFL is handling the situation.

There's no difference between him sitting on our bench & getting paid & playing for some other team. If those groups won't be happy with him playing, they shouldn't be happy about him getting paid with a defacto approval from the NFl.

That's the problem. That the NFL obviously does not have a problem with Watson or his accusations.

I doubt any group makes a stink about Watson playing this year. Maybe after the depositions & stuff leak. But right now... no.

It is his fault….not unless you believe the Texans knew about his alleged misconduct and ignored it and still signed him to the big deal anyway. I myself find that hard to believe.

It is his fault….not unless you believe the Texans knew about his alleged misconduct and ignored it and still signed him to the big deal anyway. I myself find that hard to believe.

This is exactly what I believe happened. They traded Hopkins because this kind of stuff was going on. Maybe giving them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't know the extent of what was going on, but mamma Watson told them something was going on.

Speaking of mamma Watson, I wonder what she thinks of her possible new daughter in law.

Damm….that’s some interesting news. Watson has truly waived his “No Trade Clause”? Okay, I guess Step 1 would in the book. Maybe those on the inside feel that Watson could be moved before the deadline and more than one team is showing interest. Before anyone loses their proverbial mind…..showing interest and actually pressing hard -5 copies- on a consummated trade are two different worlds. I hope for the Texans sake that this ugly chapter in their history might be coming to end by 02NOV21.

Until the deed is done, noone knows what the stipulations are. Seems to me if DW4 wants to get back to playing and wants to be traded, not only would he lift his no trade clause for any & all teams, he'd go ahead and settle the civil suits b/c no team will seriously entertain trading for him until that is taken care of. Bottom line is for him to get what he ultimately wants he's going to have to do 1 or more of the following things he doesn't want to do:

Lift his no-trade up to allow for any and all teams to trade for him
Settle the civil suits
play for the Texans again - This is if this crap somehow bleeds into next year. No way are the Texans going to let him sit on the books making millions like they did this year. He will need to play for us or be suspended & at that point he makes nothing.

Damm….that’s some interesting news. Watson has truly waived his “No Trade Clause”? Okay, I guess Step 1 would in the book. Maybe those on the inside feel that Watson could be moved before the deadline and more than one team is showing interest. Before anyone loses their proverbial mind…..showing interest and actually pressing hard -5 copies- on a consummated trade are two different worlds. I hope for the Texans sake that this ugly chapter in their history might be coming to end by 02NOV21.
I hope you were being sarcastic. It was always known that Watson wanted to go to the Dolphins. So waiving his no trade clause specifically for the Dolphins only had to happen for the move to occur. But at this time, there is no evidence that he has been or will be willing to apply the no trade clause to any other team.

Assuming he wants to play. Looks like he's living his best life.

he wants to play. You wouldn’t see the videos of him training and all that if he didn’t. I’m also positive other active and non-active players have been reaching out to him about coming to play for their teams.

At this point however He’s just painted himself into a corner and he’s gonna have to come off of at least some of his demands to make it happen.

If Watson could even manage to try to settle all of his civil cases by the trade deadline..........and I can't believe for a minute it can be done that quickly (and that's still leaving the criminal investigations on the table).........Watson/Hardin would have lost any and all leverage in the potential settlement negotiations to Buzbee. That in itself would be interesting.

If Watson could even manage to try to settle all of his civil cases by the trade deadline..........and I can't believe for a minute it can be done that quickly (and that's still leaving the criminal investigations on the table).........Watson/Hardin would have lost any and all leverage in the potential settlement negotiations to Buzbee. That in itself would be interesting.
Yeah he’s too arrogant to do that. Hell he wouldn’t even settle a 30k case at the beginning. No way he exposes himself more to criminal liability by settling now

Before a deal is made official, Ross wants to find out from commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended under the personal conduct policy and, if so, for how long.

What kind of $&#* is that? Suspensions have always been handed out as "surprises." So now Goodell is supposed to compromise the NFL's integrity (if you can even consider that it has any left), in order to facilitate a team owner's monetary decision making.............and exceptionally prepare in advance a single player's future plans.

Before a deal is made official, Ross wants to find out from commissioner Roger Goodell if Watson would be suspended under the personal conduct policy and, if so, for how long.

What kind of $&#* is that? Suspensions have always been handed out as "surprises." So now Goodell is supposed to compromise the NFL's integrity (if you can even consider that it has any left), in order to facilitate a team owner's monetary decision making.............and exceptionally prepare in advance a single player's future plans.

The NFL and integrity? :spit:. You can't be serious. This is the same entity that tried to deny that their was even a link between how their game is played and concussions......The same entity that preaches player safety and well being yet will not fully guarantee its labors contracts while simultaneously increasing the games they play.......The same entity that effectively black-balled a player b/c he dared to use his platform to make a stand for social justice. Nothing above the shield right?

Furthermore, Goodell works for the owners & i don't see why you think Goodell wouldn't have a sit down with 1 of his bosses & give him some guidance on what to expect from a suspension standpoint if he decides to pull the trigger on this deal.

I basically agree here but I must say it never ceases to amaze me at how many really important decisions are made on all kinds of issues at the last minute, or if you prefer the proverbial 11th hour. Sometimes the old drop-dead deadline is the leverage that was needed to close a deal.
Having said that I still expect this time next week to read/hear of many questions to J. McClain about his silly claim of a deal being consummated on/or before 11/2/'21.

I basically agree here but I must say it never ceases to amaze me at how many really important decisions are made on all kinds of issues at the last minute, or if you prefer the proverbial 11th hour. Sometimes the old drop-dead deadline is the leverage that was needed to close a deal.
Having said that I still expect this time next week to read/hear of many questions to J. McClain about his silly claim of a deal being consummated on/or before 11/2/'21.

Why would you make a decision on the Derrick stuff until you absolutely had too?

Cal getting negative press where he’s shown up as a racist. Quick, get McLain to type up a story that will take some attention off it.
If you're saying a distraction, okay. But the Texans don't have to try to shift the blame for Watson's situation to Watson,..... he's totally responsible for his situation.

I'd say it might depend on how badly Watson wants to play ball in the NFL before the beginning of the 2022 NFL season, however
I dunno but any opportunity to play NFL ball again this season may already be out of his hands ?

A man who gets it.

If Watson were to settle, that should have little to no effect on the criminal matters. The burden of proof in civil court is lower than what it is in criminal court.

True

But he still might do time if convicted in criminal court and you would've wasted all of those resources. After reading through the complaints, I can see why teams are backing off trading for Derrick.

So his 40 million kicks in next season right?
DW4 2022 base salary is $35MM and his signing bonus is $5.4MM. That's a cap hit of $40.4 in 2022. However if/when they trade him (assuming it's before the start 2022 league play) the Texans will incur $16.2MM in dead money (signing bonus) but will not have to pay his base salary. That would be a net savings of $18.8MM in cap space for the Texans in 2022 when they trade DW4 next year.
Deshaun Watson Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

Odd. Could have sworn he said it would be done by the trade deadline if not last week. Is he now saying the Dolphins think the legal issues will be resolved by the trade deadline?

Doesn’t sound reasonable to me

It's literally impossible to settle the legal issues before the trade deadline.

Even if he did settle the civil cases , there's still the criminal cases pending , some of which will not go away with the civil settlement. There are at least 4 of those criminal cases who are not part of the civil suits.

They and everyone else believed (including Momma Watson) that he was simply screwing a bunch of groupies on instagram , that's why they got rid of DHop because they believed he was the influence of those activities - and there's nothing illegal about that.

They didn't know until a couple months after the extension the severity of what he was doing.
No way they would have extended him had they known. No way they would have given him the NTC.
I know most of you don't have a very good impression of the Texans ownership & front office but no one is that stupid.

They and everyone else believed (including Momma Watson) that he was simply screwing a bunch of groupies on instagram , that's why they got rid of DHop because they believed he was the influence of those activities - and there's nothing illegal about that.

They didn't know until a couple months after the extension the severity of what he was doing.
No way they would have extended him had they known. No way they would have given him the NTC.
I know most of you don't have a very good impression of the Texans ownership & front office but no one is that stupid.

…..I swear there was a fight somewhere in the Kirby offices between Cal and OB as to who was going to get to say, “HOLD MY BEER”!!!

not to sidetrack the thread, but until this goes to trial, that’s all anyone outside of him and the alleged really know. & I’m sure Hardin’s team will be out to show that…

Never underestimate the McNair's stupidity.

not to sidetrack the thread, but until this goes to trial, that’s all anyone outside of him and the alleged really know. & I’m sure Hardin’s team will be out to show that…

I really think the pending criminal cases are a big part of why he refuses to settle the civil suits - even if it isn't an admission of guilt , its perceived as such by the masses and that would be very detrimental to any future jury pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back