Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s about team building.

QBs making that kind of money put there teams in a stressed situation. Worse if you’re paying that kind of money & the QB refuses to play.

I bet Davis is already working on getting up otta here.
What would put teams in a stressed situation is having financially wealthy teams stealing any star player they want when they want if there was no cap. And your Davis example is what I’ve been saying all along is that the NFL has to be concerned with the DW precedent and it’s effect on parity. IMO depending on how things go, the NFL’s best tool to fight this DW issue is to ultimately suspend him until his contract is set to expire and THEN allow him to be traded before it expires.

Something we will never have control over. And it will always going to be like that whether we agree to it or not. So why complain about it. The cap this year will be well over 200 million plus.
I don’t even see why folks complain about it for any reason. I actually find it to be an added interesting hurdle that adds to the game, not detracts. It’s an evolutionary tool that teams figure out or die. But even when the cap rises so do all salaries rise proportionately so the fun will continue, yeehaa.

Suspend him for what?

Refusing to play under the contract he signed. Not to mention, the money he’s taken while healthy and refusing to play.

The team should’ve been able to stop any further contract payments until Watson either suited up and played or was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and without pay until further notice.

Matt Stafford was always among the highest paid qbs in the nfl.
I like Matt Stafford, always have, but I admit he was also a part of the problem. Not necessarily his pay though. He's had some talented teams around him at times, but sometimes the coaching & management let them down.

Matt Ryan made it to a super bowl taking up over 16%, but they lost, Peyton made it making over that threshold and lost. Getting to a superbowl is very,very difficult.
Good points. Russell Wilson was making a big chunk last time he was in the Super Bowl, I think.

Colts have a championship level team at every position except qb.
I'm hoping it falls apart before they fix their QB issues scared me a minute when they acquired Wentz. So glad that blew up in their face.

That would be via the NFL and their agreement with the NFLPA. Roger Goodell is running this show.
Refusing to play under the contract he signed. Not to mention, the money he’s taken while healthy and refusing to play.

The team should’ve been able to stop any further contract payments until Watson either suited up and played or was suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and without pay until further notice.
I believe Goodell IS running this show. And the Texans may be restricted from trading or suspending DW until the investigations are published. Any restraint from taking any action at this point will help when actions may be taken later. and this doesn’t have to be complicated. The NFL is probably waiting too see if they will suspend him for life or without pay for the term of his contract that he doesn’t agree to play under. There is contract law that is being violated. And I‘m not sure that conduct detrimental to a team doesn’t also apply to the NFL. After all this whole issue is detrimental to the NFL, their oversight of contracts and rules and their fans.

Not worrying about money at all.

Just saying you cant win a championship unless the money is spread out correctly and more than 15% to your QB history says you aren't winning a championship. You can choose to ignore almost 30 yrs of history if you wish. But it is what it is.
I understand this 15% threshold opinion. However, for argument's sake. If a QB is under the 15% threshold, but your team have 2 to 3 bad contracts like the contracts given to Mercilus, Cunningham and Martin. Does it matter? Are you winning any championships?

IMHO, when you have a QB exceeding this 15% threshold, the GM and coaches have to hold up their end of the bargain by drafting well and surrounding that QB with productive players on their rookie contracts and/or FA signings to add quality depth. The margin of error gets smaller and they cannot make mistakes like giving Nick Martin a top 3 OC contract when he is the 4th best OC in his own division.

Shoot. Thinking about this. Just drafting and having productive players on rookie contracts lowers the QB salary cap percentage and might provide flexibility for a couple of FA signings. This 15% fixation is a math problem.

I understand this 15% threshold opinion. However, for argument's sake. If a QB is under the 15% threshold, but your team have 2 to 3 bad contracts like the contracts given to Mercilus, Cunningham and Martin. Does it matter? Are you winning any championships?

IMHO, when you have a QB exceeding this 15% threshold, the GM and coaches have to hold up their end of the bargain by drafting well and surrounding that QB with productive players on their rookie contracts and/or FA signings to add quality depth. The margin of error gets smaller and they cannot make mistakes like giving Nick Martin a top 3 OC contract when he is the 4th best OC in his own division.

Shoot. Thinking about this. Just drafting and having productive players on rookie contracts lowers the QB salary cap percentage and might provide flexibility for a couple of FA signings. This 15% fixation is a math problem.

No team so far has been able to accomplish this. The Chiefs are trying to do what you're suggesting. I'm interested to see if they can break the trend. If anyone can do this, it will either be Mahomes or Rodgers.

I’ve read an NFL player contract and the contract alerts the player to the fact that the NFL is in a joint venture with the member teams and holds the player to their own rules and procedures not necessarily the same as those in the player contract. Does anyone know what these rules are? Every way I’ve tried to google it I’ve got the notification that my request exceeds bandwidth. I’m just curious what the NFL may have in that toolkit. Apologies if we’ve already covered this.

I’ve read an NFL player contract and the contract alerts the player to the fact that the NFL is in a joint venture with the member teams and holds the player to their own rules and procedures not necessarily the same as those in the player contract. Does anyone know what these rules are? Every way I’ve tried to google it I’ve got the notification that my request exceeds bandwidth. I’m just curious what the NFL may have in that toolkit. Apologies if we’ve already covered this.

I know every contract has a conduct area. Which if violated is cause for potential contract breach. However, I don't know what Watson’s contract has in it about a situation like this. I assume that if they wanted they could start a code of conduct violation case vs Watson. In order to recoup the money paid since the first woman came forward. However, in doing this I think Watson would have no contact and be a FA. Meaning that the team will get nothing from him in terms of him signing with another team. Likely why it has not happened. I think the Texans are going to let the justice system do its job and hold on to him to get something in return. Seeing we all know this has to be conduct detrimental to the team territory already. Past that, not sure what else the NFL has in place in contracts

I know every contract has a conduct area. Which if violated is cause for potential contract breach. However, I don't know what Watson’s contract has in it about a situation like this. I assume that if they wanted they could start a code of conduct violation case vs Watson. In order to recoup the money paid since the first woman came forward. However, in doing this I think Watson would have no contact and be a FA. Meaning that the team will get nothing from him in terms of him signing with another team. Likely why it has not happened. I think the Texans are going to let the justice system do its job and hold on to him to get something in return. Seeing we all know this has to be conduct detrimental to the team territory already. Past that, not sure what else the NFL has in place in contracts
Yeah thanks. however the players contract brings notice to the player for additional rules and procedures due to the NFL being in a joint venture with each member team. I’m guessing these are the rules whereby the NFL suspends players say for violence??? But I’ve never seen to my remembrance all the rules. Was just wondering if the NFL and Goodell have something up their sleeve.

Gotta see first what he may be found guilty of for specifics, but I imagine for conduct issues or conduct detrimental to the team otherwise. DW isn’t running this show.
According to the standard NFL contract which Watson signed, Goodell already has more than enough reason to at very least suspend him.

From the 2020 NFL CBA:

—334—
APPENDIX A
NFL PLAYER CONTRACT

THIS CONTRACT is between_______________________________________, here-
inafter “Player,” and ________________________________, a
________________corporation (limited partnership) (partnership), hereinafter “Club,”
operating under the name of the ____________________________________ as a mem-
ber of the National Football League, herein after “League.” In consideration of the
promises made by each to the other, Player and Club agree as follows:

1. TERM.

This contract covers __________ football season(s), and will begin on the date
of execution, and end on the last day of th e _____ League Year, unless extended, termi-
nated, or renewed as specified elsewhere in this contract.

2. EMPLOYMENT AND SERVICES.

Club employs Player as a skilled football player. Player accepts such employment. He agrees to give his best efforts and loyalty to the Club, and to conduct himself on and off the field with appropriate recognition of the fact that the success of professional football depends largely on public respect for and approval of those associated with the game.
Player will report promptly for and participate fully in Club’s official mandatory minicamp(s), official preseason training camp, all Club meetings and practice sessions, and all preseason, regular season and postseason football games scheduled for or by Club. If invited, Player will practice for and play in any all-star football game sponsored by the League. Player will not participate in any football game not sponsored by the League unless the game is first approved by the League.

—339—
11. SKILL, PERFORMANCE AND CONDUCT.

Player understands that he is compet-ing with other players for a position on Club’s roster within the applicable player limits. If at any time, in the sole judgment of Club, Player’s skill or performance has been unsatis-
factory as compared with that of other players competing for positions on Club’s roster,
or if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect
or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract. In addition, during the period
any salary cap is legally in effect, this contract may be terminated if, in Club’s opinion,
Player is anticipated to make less of a contribution to Club’s ability to compete on the
playing field than another player or players whom Club intends to sign or attempts to sign,
or another player or players who is or are already on Club’s roster, and for whom Club

needs room.

3) Paragraph 15. Integrity of the game

“Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League…The commissioner will have the right…to fine player…to suspend player…or to terminate this contract.”

[FYI: As language in the standard part of the contract is collectively bargained, the language in any addendums cannot amend them.]

Last edited:
According to the standard NFL contract which Watson signed, Goodell already has more than enough reason to at very least suspend him.

From the 2020 NFL CBA:

—334—
APPENDIX A
NFL PLAYER CONTRACT

________________corporation (limited partnership) (partnership), hereinafter “Club,”
ber of the National Football League, herein after “League.” In consideration of the

1. TERM.

of execution, and end on the last day of th e _____ League Year, unless extended, termi-

Club employs Player as a skilled football player. Player accepts such employment. He agrees to give his best efforts and loyalty to the Club, and to conduct himself on and off the field with appropriate recognition of the fact that the success of professional football depends largely on public respect for and approval of those associated with the game.
Player will report promptly for and participate fully in Club’s official mandatory minicamp(s), official preseason training camp, all Club meetings and practice sessions, and all preseason, regular season and postseason football games scheduled for or by Club. If invited, Player will practice for and play in any all-star football
game sponsored by the League. Player will not participate in any football game not spon-
sored by the League unless the game is first approved by the League.

—339—

Player understands that he is compet-ing with other players for a position on Club’s roster within the applicable player limits. If at any time, in the sole judgment of Club, Player’s skill or performance has been unsatis-
factory as compared with that of other players competing for positions on Club’s roster,
or if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect
or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract. In addition, during the period
any salary cap is legally in effect, this contract may be terminated if, in Club’s opinion,
Player is anticipated to make less of a contribution to Club’s ability to compete on the
playing field than another player or players whom Club intends to sign or attempts to sign,
or another player or players who is or are already on Club’s roster, and for whom Club

needs room.

“Player therefore acknowledges his awareness that if he accepts a bribe or agrees to throw or fix an NFL game; fails to promptly report a bribe offer or an attempt to throw or fix an NFL game; bets on an NFL game; knowingly associates with gamblers or gambling activity; uses or provides other players with stimulants or other drugs for the purpose of attempting to enhance on-field performance; or is guilty of any other form of conduct reasonably judged by the League Commissioner to be detrimental to the League…The commissioner will have the right…to fine player…to suspend player…or to terminate this contract.”

[FYI: As language in the standard part of the contract is collectively bargained, the language in any addendums cannot amend them.]
I definitely agree and as I posted before I do not understand why the NFL has not already done that. They do not have to wait for any criminal decision or civil for that matter.

I definitely agree and as I posted before I do not understand why the NFL has not already done that. They do not have to wait for any criminal decision or civil for that matter.
Further bolstered by my previous post in the Sexual Assault thread:

Just a little clarification. He does not have to be arrested. He simply needs to be charged.

The Commissioner's Exampt List’s three criteria: 1) a player must be charged with a felony offense or a crime of violence, 2) an NFL investigation must lead Goodell “to believe that a player may have violated” the league’s personal conduct policy, and 3) Goodell has the flexibility to temporarily place a player on the exempt list when “a crime of violence is alleged but further investigation is required.”

From the 2020 NFL CBA:

—334—
APPENDIX A
NFL PLAYER CONTRACT

1. TERM.

Player will report promptly for and participate fully in Club’s official mandatory minicamp(s), official preseason training camp, all Club meetings and practice sessions, and all preseason, regular season and postseason football games scheduled for or by Club. If invited, Player will practice for and play in any all-star football game sponsored by the League. Player will not participate in any football game not sponsored by the League unless the game is first approved by the League.

—339—

needs room.

Reply for reference.

From the 2020 NFL CBA:

—334—
APPENDIX A
NFL PLAYER CONTRACT

1. TERM.

—339—

needs room.

Having finally seen this, I have to take a sip of kool-aid and think Goodell will take some avenue of action that let's the Texans off the hook until resolution of the civil and criminal court cases.

From the 2020 NFL CBA:

—334—
APPENDIX A
NFL PLAYER CONTRACT

1. TERM.

—339—

needs room.

Thanks CnD but just so I’m absolutely sure would these be the rules that are referred to in a players contract that alerts that player to additional rules, not published in the players contract, that hold the player liable due to the joint venture agreement between the NFL and the team? i Don’t believe these rules were attached to the contract I was looking at because I didn’t see this addendum.

Thanks CnD but just so I’m absolutely sure would these be the rules that are referred to in a players contract that alerts that player to additional rules, not published in the players contract, that hold the player liable due to the joint venture agreement between the NFL and the team? i Don’t believe these rules were attached to the contract I was looking at because I didn’t see this addendum.
Sorry, but I'm not sure that I understand your question.

I correct the links in my post...............should work now.

I correct the links in my post...............should work now.
The correction didn’t work on my end but as I recall your rules above referred to the NFL in a “limited partnership” with the team whereby the contract I was looking at referred to additional rules imposed on a player due to the NFL being in a “joint venture” with the team. I was just trying to verify these are all and the same rules As I suspect they are. These really help. Thanks.

The correction didn’t work on my end but as I recall your rules above referred to the NFL in a “limited partnership” with the team whereby the contract I was looking at referred to additional rules imposed on a player due to the NFL being in a “joint venture” with the team. I was just trying to verify these are all and the same rules As I suspect they are. These really help. Thanks.
Perhaps you have an old copy

Go to my original post and try the links..............they both work now.

He's never going to play for the Texans.

Remember when he joined the 49ers they weren't a very good team and he won like his first 5-6 starts.
Oh Jimmy G and another example of a QB getting too much credit. The guy throws 8 passes in a game and gets sole credit for winning an NFCCG. His team goes 5-0. He throws 7 TDs and 5 INTs and he is the reason they won five games in a row? The entire team played better down the stretch. Maybe it was the QB change giving them a spark and the defense gelling and showing a glimpse of their potential.

That defense found its footing in the second half of the season. Do you know the defense gave up less than 20 points once in the first 11 games of the season. In the final 5 games, they held the opposing team to less than 17 points in 3 of their final 5 games. Jimmy G was not the sole reason they won those 5 games in a row. Dude threw INTs in 4 out of the 5 games they won.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have an old copy
Yeah Probably. It was an Arian Foster contract I found on Sec.Gov. Edit. Whew but found the reference to the League operating as a joint venture with the team and stating that the player is subject to certain rules of the League because of this relationship On page 366 of CnD’s contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
The Texans did tell us they never asked Watson to play by putting him on the inactive list for 17 games.
They asked him to play. In fact kept saying he’s their Qb. he stated more than once he would never play for them again. Ok, so now the team has to go forward without that distraction. Then why not trade him? My theory is that the League stepped in and killed that parity killing precedent and are calling the shots now.

Yeah Probably. It was an Arian Foster contract I found on Sec.Gov. Edit. Whew but found the reference to the League operating as a joint venture with the team and stating that the player is subject to certain rules of the League because of this relationship On page 366 of CnD’s contract.
This is what you are referring to:

3. RULES. Player will comply with and be bound by all reasonable Club rules and
regulations in effect during the term of this contract which are not inconsistent with the
provisions of this contract or of any collective bargaining agreement in existence during
the term of this contract. Player’s attention is also called to the fact that the League func-
tions with certain rules and procedures expressive of its operation as a joint venture among
its member clubs and that these rules and practices may affect Player’s relationship to the
League and its member clubs independently of the provisions of this contract.

I am still not clear of what the implications of this rule is. The wording is somewhat ambiguous and not detailed.

They asked him to play. In fact kept saying he’s their Qb.
All prior to the lawsuits announcements. As I just said, Watson was put on the inactive list for every game. He couldn't have played if he had wanted to.

Which he didn't.

Reactions: JB
This is what you are referring to:

3. RULES. Player will comply with and be bound by all reasonable Club rules and
regulations in effect during the term of this contract which are not inconsistent with the
provisions of this contract or of any collective bargaining agreement in existence during
the term of this contract. Player’s attention is also called to the fact that the League func-
tions with certain rules and procedures expressive of its operation as a joint venture among
its member clubs and that these rules and practices may affect Player’s relationship to the
League and its member clubs independently of the provisions of this contract.

I am still not clear of what the implications of this rule is. The wording is somewhat ambiguous and not detailed.
Yep, that’s it. That was I was trying to figure out….are these additional rules to the League rules you posted? Don’t know if they are disciplinary or just something else.

All prior to the lawsuits announcements. As I just said, Watson was put on the inactive list for every game. He couldn't have played if he had wanted to.

Which he didn't.
They couldn’t force him to play. can’t remember if it was before the lawsuit announcements as you say. If so that is where the League could have stepped in because at that point it was DW vs the League parity concerns….can’t have players just walk out on their contracts and demand trades to teams of their choice. The legal issues just bought them time. Just my theory. Haven’t read it anywhere.

This is the only example that I have found that may explain RULE 13.:

Ryan's Hope; Ryan Clady hopes to return for 2010 Season
***********************************************************************************

It appears that in Clady getting injured outside of allowed football activity (playing basketball) by NFL player contract, his conduct could lead to the club independently assigning penalty which is not specifically in the CBA's NFL standard contract (but not contra). Still the wording of RULE 13 is very open to interpretation.

Again we the fans needs to stop worrying about the cap. It’s not our money.
Something we will never have control over. And it will always going to be like that whether we agree to it or not. So why complain about it. The cap this year will be well over 200 million plus.
The idea that an owner's money isn't ours is irrelevant.

And yes, as fans, we should complain about how that owner's money is spent.

These things directly affect the product on the field .... Just look at the Texans now with Watson having a cap hit of $40.4m.
Even if he's playing, they don't have much money to put players around him when he's earning 20% of the total.

Add another $35m in dead money and this team has a total of 35.63% of this coming year's cap dollars not contributing on the field.

They also have 31.4% of the total spent on just two players. That might not be so uncommon but combine it with the dead money and it's hard to expect them to be competitive.

Yes, talent costs $$$ but you have to spend it wisely.

No. It doesn't "lower the QB salary cap percentage".

The cap figure is X, the QB salary is Y .... nothing you do elsewhere changes the outcome of that equation.

What it might do is lower the average amount spent per player, but it does NOT change the math of a QB's total percentage of the cap.

No team so far has been able to accomplish this. The Chiefs are trying to do what you're suggesting. I'm interested to see if they can break the trend. If anyone can do this, it will either be Mahomes or Rodgers.

Actually, Brady pulled it off in his last Superbowl win .... It's now been done - Once, by the GOAT.

The idea that an owner's money isn't ours is irrelevant.

And yes, as fans, we should complain about how that owner's money is spent.

These things directly affect the product on the field .... Just look at the Texans now with Watson having a cap hit of $40.4m.
Even if he's playing, they don't have much money to put players around him when he's earning 20% of the total.

Add another $35m in dead money and this team has a total of 35.63% of this coming year's cap dollars not contributing on the field.

They also have 31.4% of the total spent on just two players. That might not be so uncommon but combine it with the dead money and it's hard to expect them to be competitive.

Yes, talent costs $$$ but you have to spend it wisely.
How is that irrelevant? They’re going to spend their money how they see fit.
Again this is a new era of football. Franchise quarterbacks will get paid mega contracts in which will take up 15% of cap. It’s up to that GM to work the roster. Like I stated y’all only brought this up because you really never like Watson. Let’s be real around these part for a second. Like Earl stated above you guys wasn’t bringing up the cap when Bill O’Brien was giving out back contracts to the likes of Whitney.

Not worrying about money at all.

Just saying you cant win a championship unless the money is spread out correctly and more than 15% to your QB history says you aren't winning a championship. You can choose to ignore almost 30 yrs of history if you wish. But it is what it is.
If you have a top 5-10 qb, he's going to eat up a large chunk of your cap period. If you have elite players, they're going to eat up huge chunks period. You have to pay top talent when its time to get paid. You cant spread out paying people if they perform way beyond their rookie deal. Matt Stafford was always among the highest paid qbs in the nfl. Then a year before reup, he forced his way out a the Rams got him on the back end of his deal.

That's your opinion, facts say differently.

The Colts didn't make the playoffs because they blew big leads against the Titans and Ravens. Their defense is a light fast defense that wears down. You can surround Jimmy G with enough talent to make 1 SB and if Tartt catches that int 2 SB's in 3 yrs. I dont have an issue with the 49ers moving on from Jimmy G because he cant stay healthy and that team is SB ready. Bet you the 49ers take a step back next yr with Lance at QB and I like Lance although he needs to improve his accuracy.
The colts didn't make the playoffs and haven't made the conf game because Andrew Luck retired. Jimmy G can't win a superbowl because he's Jimmy G and he's mid tier. You convinced yourself you can win a superbowl with a Jimmy G caliber qb, yet it was sitting on the doorstep and he overthrows a wide open Sanders. It was pretty convenient you left out Manning and Ryan going to the superbowl despite taking up over 16% of the cap. The 49ers were in position to lose the Cowboys game as well as the Packers that lost on 2 special teams plays. Shanny is such an awesome play designer, he covered alot of flaws Jimmy G has.
In terms of Trey Lance and the team going backwards, they might go backwards, that's possible, but there is a chance they will be better too. We will find out next season or in the next few seasons. If Shanny and Lynch thought Jimmy was a superbowl caliber qb, they wouldn't have moved up for Lance. They would've chosen another position player,but they know the qb has to be an eraser. The Rams are an example of knowing the qb who led the team to the superbowl just wasn't good enough.

This part of what Doc posted is proof that the Texans could very easily terminate his deal. Read:

if Player has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect
or reflect on Club, then Club may terminate this contract.

So I assume that the Texans are only keeping him is for something in return.

The Rams just spent $44.7 million at the QB position last season ($20 million on Stafford, $24.7 million in dead money on Goff). That's 23.89% of their cap. I bet that's a record that will never be broken.

And still managed to trade for Miller in season, add Weddle/OBJ etc... When owners talk cap they've probably hired incompetent people. As the Rams have proven owners can get the players they want despite the cap if they're in it to win a championship.

Texans ownership has failed on both of these accounts, because they've never been serious about bringing a championship to this city.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back