Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

DW4 Traded to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eagles have more issues than Watson could fill on his own. Texans have to find a taker for Watson and the Eagles know this. I don’t think Eagles GM parts with his 3 RD1’s to get Watson and I doubt Watson waives his NTC for the Eagles if they don’t have the means to improve the team around him.
deleted on edit.

Last edited:
If the Texans were only asking for the 15 pick, RD2 pick, and a RD3 this year, a 2023 RD1 and RD2, and a 2024 RD1….that might work for the Eagles and Watson. It should be better than expected for Caserio and the Texans, considering their situation. Win-Win for all 3 parties.
You can sweeten that and I might be interested.

You can sweeten that and I might be interested.

I don’t think the Eagles would add additional picks but they might include a player in the deal. Any players come to mind that might sweeten the package?

I’d take CB- Darius Slay (2022-2023 / FA 2024) and Gardner Minshew (2022 / UFA 2023) as the player portion of the package. Solid CB and a solid backup QB.

Last edited:
I don’t think the Eagles would add additional picks but they might include a player in the deal. Any players come to mind that might sweeten the package?

I’d take CB- Darius Slay (2022-2023 / FA 2024) and Gardner Minshew (2022 / UFA 2023) as the player portion of the package. Solid CB and a solid backup QB.
Any players in question should be < than 27 yrs. old.

Any players in question should be < than 27 yrs. old.

I agree, but the Texans would be getting their 6 picks and gaining a couple of veterans of need. This would also help the Eagles shed some contract money with Watson’s arrival.

Let the rumors fly............

January 31, 2022
I don't follow Watson daily, but I saw this, and read the comments posted from then to now. Don't know if this has been posted previously, but no one has commented on the Feb 22 deposition date, which I think we all expected. And this is the first time I've seen the court date posted - May 02, obviously after the draft. Unless Watson settles all the civil cases before the draft, will any team be willing to trade before all settlements are concluded?

In till he has a 2 INT no TD game. Then they will riot. Philly fans don't care, it's what have you done for me today (not lately).
Well of course.. but I don't see that happening. Even if it did the next great game calms. Grumbling? Sure but that happened here also. I do not think Eagles are that far away from annual POs with DW.

I think Caserio could get all three ones but:

Not interested in Slay age/productivity ok but not great for price. Laugh but I'm interested in Hurts; decent stats but TD to INT be improved, 24 next August and challenges Mills; cheap backup at minimum = $1 m each 2023 and 24.

Landon Dickerson becomes our OG you pick which side and perhaps our center. He was a monster at center in college.

You guys need to prepare for the possibility of being disappointed.

It's more likely Derrick ends up in jail than Caserio gets three 1sts.

The only comparable situation that I can think of is Atlanta with Vick.
Does anyone know if Atl retained any rights to Vick after he served his sentence?

The only comparable situation that I can think of is Atlanta with Vick.
Does anyone know if Atl retained any rights to Vick after he served his sentence?
Under the settlement, Vick has agreed to pay the Falcons $7.5 million if the team wins an appeal in the Eighth Circuit Court, and $6.5 million if the court upholds U.S. District Judge David Doty's decision that Vick is only liable for
The disgraced quarterback lost the first round in his financial battle with the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday, when an arbitrator ruled that Vick should repay just over half the bonus money he got while secretly bankrolling the long-running dogfighting operation.

Last edited:
Under the settlement, Vick has agreed to pay the Falcons $7.5 million if the team wins an appeal in the Eighth Circuit Court, and $6.5 million if the court upholds U.S. District Judge David Doty's decision that Vick is only liable for
The disgraced quarterback lost the first round in his financial battle with the Atlanta Falcons on Tuesday, when an arbitrator ruled that Vick should repay just over half the bonus money he got while secretly bankrolling the long-running dogfighting operation.

I would love to see him pay back any money on his new deal back to the Texans. The downside is that we would likely have no contact and get nothing as he goes to another team

I would love to see him pay back any money on his new deal back to the Texans. The downside is that we would likely have no contact and get nothing as he goes to another team

Unlike most I wouldn't have an issue with this if he goes to jail.

Otherwise there will be a sucker out there if he beats the rap.

If Eagles get on board with this push to obtain Watson’s services, I’d fully expect them to play ball but that doesn’t mean unloading the bulk of their top picks in this draft. They’ll want to spread the risk out over a few drafts…I would ask for the following package:

RD1-15
RD2-51
RD3-83

RD1
RD2

RD1
Spreading it out would mean that beyond this Draft, the Texans would have no idea what they would really be getting.

I don't follow Watson daily, but I saw this, and read the comments posted from then to now. Don't know if this has been posted previously, but no one has commented on the Feb 22 deposition date, which I think we all expected. And this is the first time I've seen the court date posted - May 02, obviously after the draft. Unless Watson settles all the civil cases before the draft, will any team be willing to trade before all settlements are concluded?
I don't believe that is accurate..............May 02 is the date set for pre-trial conference (something I posted a while back).

Spreading it out would mean that beyond this Draft, the Texans would have no idea what they would really be getting.

The big advantage in spreading the picks out over several drafts would be the ability to move up to grab a QB if Mills doesn’t pan out. BTW, thanks for all the posts with stuff you’ve heard from contacts/sources. It definitely makes the site more interesting

I agree up to a point - but the thing is, that is partially true of any draft.
Sure, there are some that are pretty safe bets higher in the draft, but even at the top of the draft there are also busts.

I agree up to a point - but the thing is, that is partially true of any draft
I think he meant the Texans wouldn't know what they are getting, not who.

We know what pick the trading team has in the 2022 draft. 6th, 13th, 22nd, etc...

With Watson the trading teams 2023 pick might be the 26th or higher & have less actual value than you hoped when the trade was made.

I think he meant the Texans wouldn't know what they are getting, not who.

We know what pick the trading team has in the 2022 draft. 6th, 13th, 22nd, etc...

With Watson the trading teams 2023 pick might be the 26th or higher & have less actual value than you hoped when the trade was made.
That's when you agree on a "protected" pick right?

Picks are picks regardless of the year they’re awarded. Sure, we can call picks in 2023 and 2024 less valuable….but, come 2023 and 2024 those picks will have face value for that particular draft.

Finding a Ditka to give you a current draft plus a RD1 and RD2 in the following draft will never happen again. Watson will be a desirable asset if he clears or appears to have cleared his legal hurdles by the 2022 NFL Draft or Trade Deadline. There is no way Caserio would or should expect a team to give him a total compensation for Watson in 2022. Take the 3 draft compensation plan and make it work.

Picks are picks regardless of the year they’re awarded. Sure, we can call picks in 2023 and 2024 less valuable….but, come 2023 and 2024 those picks will have face value for that particular draft.

Finding a Ditka to give you a current draft plus a RD1 and RD2 in the following draft will never happen again. Watson will be a desirable asset if he clears or appears to have cleared his legal hurdles by the 2022 NFL Draft or Trade Deadline. There is no way Caserio would or should expect a team to give him a total compensation for Watson in 2022. Take the 3 draft compensation plan and make it work.
Well, it matters in that right now we know what the picks are. You get future picks and you have no idea where they may fall. If say Watson were to help the Eagles become SB contenders, those future picks become late 1sts, instead of early to mid 1sts. That's a big difference. Yes, you've still got to hit on the pick and all of that jazz, I mean, Clowney #1, Donald #13 and what have you, but I'd rather take my chances with less players off the board regardless.

And we'll see how Caserio plays it. If there's one thing I'm behind Caserio on it's standing his ground regarding compensation and not getting hosed just to get rid of him. In the end it may backfire, but that's just another chance you take. The peanut gallery may roast him for it, but I won't.

Which would you prefer?

1.15, 1.4, 1.7

in three consecutive years? Or

1.9, 1.31, 1.27

in three consecutive years.

That’s what I’m saying. One the value may be 2500 “points” & the other may be 1800 “points”

You don’t know how the “value” of those picks are going to work in future years.

where as if you get 1.9, 1.17, 1.21 all in the same year you can already asses there value. So if you say Watson is worth 3300 points it’s easier to “see” it with current draft picks

Well, it matters in that right now we know what the picks are. You get future picks and you have no idea where they may fall. If say Watson were to help the Eagles become SB contenders, those future picks become late 1sts, instead of early to mid 1sts. That's a big difference. Yes, you've still got to hit on the pick and all of that jazz, I mean, Clowney #1, Donald #13 and what have you, but I'd rather take my chances with less players off the board regardless.

And we'll see how Caserio plays it. If there's one thing I'm behind Caserio on it's standing his ground regarding compensation and not getting hosed just to get rid of him. In the end it may backfire, but that's just another chance you take. The peanut gallery may roast him for it, but I won't.

The Texans would be rolling the dice no matter what. What if Watson was injured and the Eagles finished with the worst record in the NFL? Suddenly 2023 RD1 and RD2 picks are amazing assets. Even if that pick is #32 in RD1….it’s still a RD1 asset.

Which would you prefer?

1.15, 1.4, 1.7

in three consecutive years? Or

1.9, 1.31, 1.27

in three consecutive years.

That’s what I’m saying. One the value may be 2500 “points” & the other may be 1800 “points”

You don’t know how the “value” of those picks are going to work in future years.

where as if you get 1.9, 1.17, 1.21 all in the same year you can already asses there value. So if you say Watson is worth 3300 points it’s easier to “see” it with current draft picks

I don’t think the Eagles would part with their 3 RD1 picks for Watson. Don’t forget, Watson has to endorse this trade to make it happen. If Watson feels like he could go to the Eagles while they maintain enough draft assets to improve the team around him….he’d probably waive his NTC.

I would be on board with Philly giving #15 and the rest of their draft minus #18-19. Plus the Eagles 2023 1st.

I doubt the Eagles give up that much up front. I do think a package including the following would get a deal done:

RD1-15-15 (<MIA)
RD2-19-51
RD3-19-83

RD1
RD2

RD1

CB- Darius Slay: 31 years old and would be under contract for 2022 and 2023. That’s not long term for a solid veteran CB who could definitely help the secondary for a couple of seasons. Eagles probably wouldn’t want to lose Slay but moving his contract to help take on Watson’s contract would make this a necessity.

QB- Gardner Minshew: He’s only under contract for the 2022 season. A solid QB2 who would serve as an inexpensive insurance plan for Mills.

I wouldn’t mind asking for OC- Landon Dickerson but I better be prepared to hear, he’s not on the table. The Eagles have to build their OL and losing a rookie chip wouldn’t make sense.

In all honesty, this trade could work for all 3 parties….Watson gets his wish of playing for a new team, the Eagles get their “Franchise QB1”, and Caserio gets his 6 picks on top of a couple of veterans who would have a place with the Texans.

I doubt the Eagles give up that much up front. I do think a package including the following would get a deal done:

RD1-15-15 (<MIA)
RD2-19-51
RD3-19-83

RD1
RD2

RD1

CB- Darius Slay: 31 years old and would be under contract for 2022 and 2023. That’s not long term for a solid veteran CB who could definitely help the secondary for a couple of seasons. Eagles probably wouldn’t want to lose Slay but moving his contract to help take on Watson’s contract would make this a necessity.

QB- Gardner Minshew: He’s only under contract for the 2022 season. A solid QB2 who would serve as an inexpensive insurance plan for Mills.

I wouldn’t mind asking for OC- Landon Dickerson but I better be prepared to hear, he’s not on the table. The Eagles have to build their OL and losing a rookie chip wouldn’t make sense.

In all honesty, this trade could work for all 3 parties….Watson gets his wish of playing for a new team, the Eagles get their “Franchise QB1”, and Caserio gets his 6 picks on top of a couple of veterans who would have a place with the Texans.

Neither has Tua. Burrow could finally be the QB to break the Bama QB curse since Stabler and Namath. I basically responded to the rumors that the Eagles GM hasn’t completely ruled out the pursuit of Watson. The reason could be….he has the assets to get a deal done this year.

The big advantage in spreading the picks out over several drafts would be the ability to move up to grab a QB if Mills doesn’t pan out. BTW, thanks for all the posts with stuff you’ve heard from contacts/sources. It definitely makes the site more interesting
If Mills does not work out we should have another very high pick in 2023 when better QBs should be available. I want as many high selections sooner than later. 2022 is a very solid draft. Our own picks in 2022 should take care of themselves.

Even more significantly to me is we have clarity over WHO those players will be. Future drafts: players we hope for could decide to remain in school or get hurt or even decide to quit football. I am not against future picks but let's negotiate a bit tougher, eh? Each of us have an acceptable 'package' we want to get but let's start high knowing we can come down. Let's not just assume that Caserio will give the house away as O'Brien.

The Texans would be rolling the dice no matter what. What if Watson was injured and the Eagles finished with the worst record in the NFL? Suddenly 2023 RD1 and RD2 picks are amazing assets. Even if that pick is #32 in RD1….it’s still a RD1 asset.
Yep but you play the odds based upon what you know and how Watson has performed and how healthy he has been. Anything could happen but you play the percentages, just like life. Some have written DW off as now just an asset that might be traded if he avoids imprisonment and at least one team wants him. Others as myself believe that but think we can get more. I would rather let him sit again as no free agent stands out that we have to spend DW's $ on than to just dump him. I feel Watson took advantage of me as a fan and it is not my money but I surely do not want to watch him laugh at me as a fan as he goes where he wants with not enough coming back for him. Each of us must decide what amount 'resolves' that for us. Some say just get him gone some want as much as we can get; buyer is aware.

I don’t think the Eagles would part with their 3 RD1 picks for Watson. Don’t forget, Watson has to endorse this trade to make it happen. If Watson feels like he could go to the Eagles while they maintain enough draft assets to improve the team around him….he’d probably waive his NTC.
Speaking of DW based only on his productivity, stats and abilities most would have compared DW to 1.1 in 2022 draft even more so looking at those QBs. I am not saying that Jags with Lawrence would take him but there would be many who would argue teams would line up to trade for 1.1 at 3,000 points and they would be offering much more than 3000 points worth to get it.

1.1 [3000] > Eagles 1.15 [1050] 1.15 [1000] and 1.19 [875] = 2925 + Philly's 4.115 [64] + 7.210 [6.8]= 2995.8

Philly needs: per CBSsports and PFF LB Edge Safety WR

Eagles get DW for three round ones select options

2. 51 LB Damon Clark or WR David Bell or CB Derion Kendricks or CB Emerson or LB Damon Clark

3.83 Edge Amare Barno or CB Coby Bryant or Safety Jalen Pitre or WR Jalen Tolbert

4 LB Darrion Beavers

Eagles would be just fine and have ALL picks going forward.

If Mills does not work out we should have another very high pick in 2023 when better QBs should be available. I want as many high selections sooner than later. 2022 is a very solid draft. Our own picks in 2022 should take care of themselves.

I agree but unless you have the first overall pick you’re not guaranteed the guy you want. Having multiple first rounders gives you the ability to get to the first pick if need be.

If we win 8-9 games next season, wouldn't that be a significant improvement and justification for Mills retention as starter?

Depending on what we draft. With no Watson trade, we have our 1st which I feel is an Edge or DB. If they are good, it will greatly improve the D. Then we still need OL players. Again, if they pan out from our 2nd round pick that will help our run and pass game. A solid RB is needed also. If we can 100% nail 4 players as starting caliber or solid rotation players...our win total should go up. And with a little more D and better blockers. I think Mills and the offense is capable of getting us into the end zone. My question is how much D help do we need to stop other teams from out scoring us? If we can put up say 14-28pts week in and week out. IF we can stop the other team say 20% better than now. We should win 8+ and that should show improvement of Mills

FOUR AFC championship games in a row on a team loaded with talent and top-tier coaching and ONE ring from it all.

I like Mahomes, but he's one player on a franchise loaded with talent and a great coaching staff/front office.

There is nothing to "assume" about Watson. Literally every expert in the room disagrees with your clearly hate-colored glasses about the player.

Come'on DB. There are a few "informed posters" here.

Experts? In their own minds maybe. Some probably stayed at Holiday Inn and believe their advertising.

:coffee:

Depending on what we draft. With no Watson trade, we have our 1st which I feel is an Edge or DB. If they are good, it will greatly improve the D. Then we still need OL players. Again, if they pan out from our 2nd round pick that will help our run and pass game. A solid RB is needed also. If we can 100% nail 4 players as starting caliber or solid rotation players...our win total should go up. And with a little more D and better blockers. I think Mills and the offense is capable of getting us into the end zone. My question is how much D help do we need to stop other teams from out scoring us? If we can put up say 14-28pts week in and week out. IF we can stop the other team say 20% better than now. We should win 8+ and that should show improvement of Mills

Looking at things this way, it's going to take 1 yrs of hitting on 4-5 players on offense in the draft/FA and 1 yr of hitting on 4-5 players on defense and this includes 2-3 star level players on both sides of the ball. Then it will probably take another yr for these players to gain experience before the team will become a contender. This is best case scenario if Mills is the guy. The only thing that may speed up this timeline is if more talent can be added in a Derrick trade. But I'm certainly not banking on that happening.

When is Watson due to be deposed? Right after the SB? If thats the case and no deal before that time I can see this dragging out for a long, long time.

February 22nd the depositions begin and Buzbee can depose Derrick for 40 hrs. I bet he uses every minute of this time. That would mean depositions would end on March 1st. Caserio said he wants to trade Derrick by March 13th. I dont see a trade happening before the new league yr starts on March 20th. It could happen but it's doubtful. IMHO

Last edited:
Looking at things this way, it's going to take 1 yrs of hitting on 4-5 players on offense in the draft/FA and 1 yr of hitting on 4-5 players on defense and this includes 2-3 star level players on both sides of the ball. Then it will probably take another yr for these players to gain experience before the team will become a contender. This is best case scenario if Mills is the guy. The only thing that may speed up this timeline is if more talent can be added in a Derrick trade. But I'm certainly not banking on that happening.
I am hopeful for some help in FA as well.

When is Watson due to be deposed? Right after the SB? If thats the case and no deal before that time I can see this dragging out for a long, long time.

The Watson deposition is only for the civil cases.

That won't solve the problem of the criminal cases that are becoming more complicated by the day. As long as those criminal cases are pending, there will be no deal.

I hear that "everyone in the Watson camp" expects an indictment on the criminal cases.

I believe @CloakNNNdagger has heard the same.

To be quite honest, I expect this to drag into the latter part of 2023 before we can hope for a resolution to the pending criminal cases, and I think that's a rather optimistic date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back