Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Oh I don't think what I say on a message board impacts the game. However I know the little dolls I stick pins in effect the other team players.....

Just enjoy the ride right now. This team is clearly capable of winning the Super Bowl, whether it will or not will depend on a crazy number of variables outside anyones control. When teams have gone 17-0 and lost the Super Bowl we know the best team doesn't always win.

Said it before on other threads and will say it again.

Stay healthy. Then the answer is yes. You will need homefield though. No trips to Foxborough or Baltimore in January. It rarely works out as history has shown.

We need to stay healthy.

We start losing people like Brian Cushing .....

Who's next?

Well, now that we just just got our asses kicked six ways to Sunday in prime time, I figure this would be a prime time to bump this up.

Still think we have a Super Bowl team?

I never thought I'd ever say this. I used to get pissed at people for saying, "it's not so much that we lost it, it's HOW we lost it."

Well, if this isn't a classic case of 'HOW we lost it' I don't know what is.

We're still a contender. Easily.

The Giants look like the league's best-built team, though. They have experience at how to approach each week, how to get there and get it done. Everybody wrote them off in week 1 when they lost to the Cowboys. Oops.

We're going to win the division. Remains to be seen if we can lock up the first round bye, but yet I still think we will. I see us as maybe a 12-4 team at best or an 11-5 at worst.

We've got 10 games left to play, we need to win 7 out of 10 to go 12-4......or win 6 out of 10 to go 11-5. I like those odds, frankly. Then it depends on the records of the other AFC divisional champs in determining seeding for other stuff.

Ravens and Pats are easily the biggest threats to us.

We're still a contender. Easily.

The Giants look like the league's best-built team, though. They have experience at how to approach each week, how to get there and get it done. Everybody wrote them off in week 1 when they lost to the Cowboys. Oops.

We're going to win the division. Remains to be seen if we can lock up the first round bye, but yet I still think we will. I see us as maybe a 12-4 team at best or an 11-5 at worst.

We've got 10 games left to play, we need to win 7 out of 10 to go 12-4......or win 6 out of 10 to go 11-5. I like those odds, frankly. Then it depends on the records of the other AFC divisional champs in determining seeding for other stuff.

Ravens and Pats are easily the biggest threats to us.

patriots 3-3...im more worried about the ravens then anything else..besides the ravens and patriots rest of scedule is somewaht easy.. if we can win one those games..we could go 14-2 which would almost confirm a first seed bye

This is a playoff team, because our division is so weak. But no, it's not a Super bowl team. This team will go no further in 2012 than it did in 2011.

Playoffs are high pressure, high visibility games. Not the Texans' strength.

Green Bay was the game that many of us expected to be the first test in a stretch run against some very good QBs. Not a good start.

Last edited:
Luckily we're in the AFC. I really don't see any threat from the AFC except for the patriots. The ravens aren't the same anymore. I see us maybe finishing 1st or 2nd in the AFC.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk

There is a 6-0 team, then there are two 5-1 teams that play each other this coming Sunday, and then everyone else has 4 wins or less. Yeah, we're a contender. We were a contender last year when a 9-7 team won the super bowl.

There's always a chance unless you just suck like a black hole, which the Texans are finally not doing.

Making the post season is all that really matters, I could give a darn about a perfect record unless the team is just that good which obviously this one is not. The Giants barely made the playoffs last year, but they went all the way winning the Superbowl. This was most disturbing not that we lost to the Packers but how we lost. Seemed like Texans lost all the progress they've worked so hard to improve on past four years, flashing back to 2005-06. OL looks bad, defense looks lost without Cushing, special teams continued its downward spiral, although Keshawn Martin was a bright spot returning kicks in his first NFL game. So even though it's only 6 games, Texans could turn it back around you just never know but in such a big game, nationally televised, full house the Texans sure didn't look like a Superbowl team.:whip:

Making the post season is all that really matters, I could give a darn about a perfect record unless the team is just that good which obviously this one is not. The Giants barely made the playoffs last year, but they went all the way winning the Superbowl. This was most disturbing not that we lost to the Packers but how we lost. Seemed like Texans lost all the progress they've worked so hard to improve on past four years, flashing back to 2005-06. OL looks bad, defense looks lost without Cushing, special teams continued its downward spiral, although Keshawn Martin was a bright spot returning kicks in his first NFL game. So even though it's only 6 games, Texans could turn it back around you just never know but in such a big game, nationally televised, full house the Texans sure didn't look like a Superbowl team.:whip:

Yep

This is also the 1st game they have faced an elite QB.

It doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

This game you had one team fighting for its playoff lives and another team that started to believe the hype. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Gary and the guys.

Ravens fan here ... obviously ...

I most certainly think the Texans have a Super Bowl caliber team. I don't think that's even debatable, even with the loss last night.

As long as you guys stay healthy, I have a feeling y'all will be in the AFCCG with no problems.

IMO, last years team was better. I think last year was our best chance at reaching the SB. Injuries ruined that season

Yes. One loss doesn't destroy an entire season. The Giants were gettin their butts kicked and were written off by EVERYONE but their fans when they clowned Tom Brady and ruined his "perfect season."

IMO, last years team was better. I think last year was our best chance at reaching the SB. Injuries ruined that season

While I agree that last years team was better, due to issues with teams like Ravens, Pats, Steelers our chances are better barring more significant injuries. I think it all depends on how we play going into the playoffs and less on how we play in week 6.

If we have a couple down weeks and still manage to pull off enough wins, then get hot before the post season I will like our chances.

Never really bought much into the SB hype of this team to begin with. Too many things have to go right for that to happen. maybe enough to make it there...but were not ready to win it....yet.

Some cracks in the armour of this team were exposed last night.

For instance, If it ain't Watt making the play on the front four, we're going to struggle. Teams aren't fearing Barwin or Reed on the edge.

Teams are willing to wager their guys winning the 1 on 1 match ups against our secondary...& they are winning them.

I think our maturity showed last night as well. Stupid penalty after stupid penalty kept drives alive for the Packers....the spotlight burned them to a crisp.

& I can't make up my mind whether or not AJ is just trying to take it as easy as possible so as to not miss any games............or him falling over the hill over night b/c he clearly doesn't look like the same guy...not even from last year.

The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent

The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent

Your friend is silly. Boise State got on the map by beating those "elite" teams in prime time games (OU, Oregon, Georgia).

Furthermore, there are only really about 3 elite teams in the NFL in any given year...most teams never play all 3 so if he's saying that about us, he's gotta say it about almost every team in the NFL.

Indy dominated a joke of a division for 10 plus years and noone had a problem with it. The same for NE. Now all of a sudden b/c were taking advantage of it, its a problem.

No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.

No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.

The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.

The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.

great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.

The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. <snip>

I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.

great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.

Not only the Packers, Giants, and 9ers.

You have the Falcons who are still undefeated...then you have the NFC North and NFC West, in the west every team is at least .500 The team that is below .500 in the North are the Detroit Lions.

I think the Texans just play in the weaker conference. You have those 3 teams and hopefully we can be the better of the Pats and the Ravens.

I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.

Yeah I know what you mean. I also agree that ILB (and really OLB at this point too since they provide no help to Watt...) and OL is a cause for concern right now. The biggest concern is Joseph. The first few games our secondary you could argue was our strength on defense (run defense has always been meh this year). It's not because we didn't play anyone (They played great against Manning too) and felt like we got some pressure sacks and they made plays. Now Joseph has been picked on for two games and they just look sloppy out there.

Sometimes I feel like even when Cushing was around that this team is missing one extra playmaker on defense. If you think about last year we had 3 extra playmakers in Mario, Demeco, Barwin (who has vanished) I think you just don't replace two pro-bowl level talents. I don't care what people say about Mario he's much better than any outside rusher we have now (and I know we could not keep him) and Demeco I've been saying all along we would miss him and I always wonder how Philly can fit all these guys on their roster but we can't.

If last night had been a dominated loss to the Dolphins or some equally wretched team, I'd be scared the sky is falling, too.

But, we lost to one of the three best teams in the league, just one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and a team that went 15-1 last season.

The Packers are going to whoop some teams this year. Just so happens that the Texans were ripe for a whooping right when the Packers were coming off a wake-up-call loss to the Colts.

According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!

According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!

yeah, you're right about the fans. Y'all were loud! My tv was shaking.

Unfortunately, no amount of rabid fan love will inspire a team that comes out of the tunnel flat. They barely had a pulse out there.

Watt looked like he was working on a M.A.S.H. unit, but he was the lone highlight, iirc.

NFC has better teams, don't know if I'd go that far to calling it(AFC) JV...that would mean that the AFC team has no shot at winning it.

But if you get to the superbowl of course you have a shot at it. Easier said than done of course.

The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I'd throw Denver in there as well, behind those three teams, but still. They'll get better as the year goes on. If we get a bye, we'll most likely be playing one of those three teams, Pats, Ravens, or Broncos on our way to the AFC Championship game, then we'll face one of the other two.

6-1 and two weeks to rest and heal. Any changed views?
6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.

6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.

I would like the back ups to get more time at Buffalo. Yates, Lestar Jean, Brandon Harris, Carmichael, Brooks, Demps, etc. As season progresses more liklihood of injuries & we need to have exerienced subs ready to go.

The afc almost won last year, it all came down to a few muffed passes...If we play in the playoffs and the superbowl the way we played agaisnt the ravens..I beleive we can make it to superbowl and win it..

Of course we do. But the NFC might have a few teams better than us... we'll see.

I personally belive we arnt playing best football..our new starters still getting feel for team and arian still trying to find his groove..i think near december helath permitting we will be unstoppable..any given sunday..49ers whooped packers,but the 49ers lost bad to the giants, who lost to some bad teams, while average teams have beaten the packers..while the packers beat us.

So if football has taught us anything as doesnt matter who has the most talent, it involves luck and risk..to make some palys work. and its not always the most talented that wins (mario williams) it is which team plays with the most heart and goes out and plays the best football

thoguht texans played the best when everyone doubts them..they doubted them all year last year...they said we would not be falcons with rookie qb and we did..now that same team is said to be best team in league..im not buying it

When we play them in regular season, will we be team against Packers or team against Baltimore?

Same team. That Sunday night game had to happen the way it happened to get the team we have now. I doubt we'll see another stinker the rest of the way.

When we play them in regular season, will we be team against Packers or team against Baltimore?

The threat of of Jay Cutler playing like an Aaron Rodgers is very small. Not impossible - cause he has his moments - but small. So I think we can keep their offense somewhat in check. However, the Bears have a defense that is more respected than the Packs' D. Soooo.... maybe they keep us in check too. I think the Bears game turns out to be one of those 13-10 defensive battles....
who knows

Not the best teams go to the superbowl every year... what we need most is momentum and the most desire to win. Every team can beat every other in the NFL any given night - the odds may be pretty small though. But right now, I think we have the best odds of the entire NFL to make it to the superbowl.

But our lack of experience in big games may come back to hurt us in games in Januray against say the Patriots.

Not the best teams go to the superbowl every year... what we need most is momentum and the most desire to win. Every team can beat every other in the NFL any given night - the odds may be pretty small though. But right now, I think we have the best odds of the entire NFL to make it to the superbowl.

But our lack of experience in big games may come back to hurt us in games in Januray against say the Patriots.

ppst jj watt will imagine brady as a great all american burrito and eat him up;P thats how he rolls

The threat of of Jay Cutler playing like an Aaron Rodgers is very small. Not impossible - cause he has his moments - but small. So I think we can keep their offense somewhat in check. However, the Bears have a defense that is more respected than the Packs' D. Soooo.... maybe they keep us in check too. I think the Bears game turns out to be one of those 13-10 defensive battles....
who knows
'Cause we have never made average QBs look like hall of famers? I'm not too concerned about how much we beat them by, I just want them to control the game. SHould be a slugfest as you indicate.

I know I should not but I am more or less taking this Buffalo game for granted. I see it as another week to get healthier and maybe give the starters some time off once game is in hand. It will be interesting how Gary Kubiak allots playing time. Hopefully, Yates and Forsett get some time. Mitchell also as Cody has missed some playing time with lower back strain.

Let's not forget that Ryan Fitzpatrick introduced himself to the NFL through
embarrassing the Texans at Reliant Stadium.

Let's not forget that Ryan Fitzpatrick introduced himself to the NFL through
embarrassing the Texans at Reliant Stadium.

Yeah, but let's also remember since then he's 0-2 against the Texans (combined score of 66-16) throwing four picks and no TD's and posting passer ratings of 48.3 and 41.4. And those two games were against defenses coordinated by Richard Smith and Frank Bush.

Back