Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Depends on one's perception I guess. I wanted winning season & got that. Then wanted a championship & got that; with this roster & our division a chmpionship is not enough for me. As players have said, the goal is Super Bowl so it is my goal also. It is not too early to evaluate your team. You simply adjust your eval weekly. I do that with my mocks. You may be one of those fans who just watch a game for the fun, beer, food and companionship. That is cool but not me.

I watch for flaws and strengths and decisions by coaches and players. I enjoy working the cap and salaries & watching college games to create mocks and trades. At this point I am not worried at all.

If we talk about SB as most definite then I don't see it because the season is long. Injuries can deflate a team.

If we talk about whether the Texans have the personnel and the continuity of proven offensive and defensive systems to be a strong contender for the SB, then yes.

We are really solid across the board. I've read a lot of evaluations from different sources.

The key is to stay healthy and to improve some more in certain areas that need improving.

Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.

Way to early to say if we're SB bound.

You have to assess the team by the time the playoffs start. We can be the best team all season long, but if we limp into the playoffs with some bad injuries and a lack of momentum, then it can all end fairly easily.

The patriots looked unstoppable two seasons ago where some people felt that Brady was having an even better season then he had when he threw for 50 TD's. They got beaten by the Jets team that they destroyed a few games earlier in the season.

The Titans had that great season where they had the best record in the NFL as well a few yrs ago and fell flat in the post season.

The Giants had poor seasons both times they won the SB, but once the playoffs came they were as ready as a team could be and they beat everyone when they weren't favored in almost all of those match ups.

You have to be hitting on all cylinders when heading into the post season. UNfortunately last season we were not due to injuries. Hopefully this time around we'll be healthier and have a lot of momentum. We'll also be facing tougher teams this time around.

Texans
Broncos
Ravens/Steelers/Bengals (WHo Knows)
Patriots
Insert Wildcard here.

If the Texans had Matt Schaub in January instead of TJ Yates, we would have been in the AFC Championship game.

I hear people say that, but we will never know.

As for this season, I don't think that this team is near as close to Super Bowl quality as people think. The good thing is that they will have their chance to prove themselves on the field.

As for the next couple of weeks, I think that there is a good chance that we will be 1-2 after the Broncos game.

Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.

Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.

Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)

Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.

Most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the comic relief. :doot:

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Am I taking Schaub over Brady or Rodgers????Hell No.

Am I taking the Texans over the Pack or Pats? :thinking: That's a better question...

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Am I taking the Texans over the Pack or Pats? :thinking: That's a better question...

Does it matter if it's the Pats or the Packs? :lol:

I take Schaub over the Pats' defense any day.

I take Schaub over the Pack's defense any day.
The Packers defense was in such a state that they used the top 6 draft picks on the D.
They were dead last in the league in defense and passing defense last year.

I don't know. We keep talking about this is becoming a passing lead & we're seeing teams win the Super Bowl with the 30th ranked defense (not last year's Giants, but the two before)...

Having said that, I generally come across as a Schaub hater, but I've also commented that we haven't done a great job putting talent around him especially at the WR position. If Lestar, Keyshawn, Posey, & Iglesias can provide the quality we need at that position, who's to say Matt can't be "Manningesque"??

He does a fine job reading defenses, pre-snap adjustments, accurately delivering the ball, & taking care of the football. If he had the options Rodgers has, who knows?

If the season ended today, who do you think should be there?

49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.

49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.

That's what I was thinking, more or less. 49ers/Ravens & it isn't close. Going by the eyeball test. Those were the only two teams, I thought, that had strong all around performances.

I liked the Broncos, but the Ravens way out classed them.

Ravens
49ers
Broncos
Patriots
Jets
Texans
Cowboys

That would be the start of my power rankings, if I were to do power rankings.

I want to see a good solid effort from all aspects, O - D- STs against Jags. Not too concerned about score just the play and handling their business.

Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)

THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.

THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.

I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.

I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.
Houston led 6-3 at halftime, then ruined their comeback chances when Carr threw interceptions on consecutive drives and Edell Shepherd fumbled on a kickoff return. Dallas turned all three takeaways into points.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.

I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.

DUDE Schaub played the entire game in Tampa Bay.........

I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.

I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.
The West Coast Offense is designed to control the clock methodically with runs and short passes (and an occasional shot downfield.)

The common denominators that can be found in those coaches that I listed (especially in the year they won the SB) was a strong running game and a strong defense (that didn't gamble like Buddy Ryan's D, for example).

Take Brian Billick, for example.
Even though he was an offensive mind like TPN said, the year the Ravens won the SB, his offense ranked 5th in rushing attempt and 20th in passing attempt (22nd in passing yardage.)

Wouldn't you say that it was a conservative offense?
Especially considering the Ravens had the top scoring defense and second in yard allowed.

With a defense like that, an offensive mind like Billick could have open it up much more, right?
But he didn't.

If you go down the list, that was what happened with all those teams (and coaches) that I put on that list.

And it was a long list.

I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.

I thought we might have seen a little of a preview Niners/Texans in the PS.
Both teams are very solid across the board, and therefore, make for good SB contenders.

Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."

Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."

+Rep. Good post

+Rep. Good post

Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.

Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.

Fyi I am a Titan fan. Trust me I didn't enjoy saying that. It was men against boys.

2zyww28.jpg

it's always about injuries. we have a great roster, with a ton of depth and exceptional talent at each level - schaub, andre, foster, d-bo, watt, cush, joseph, manning. with a full roster it would be a great game between the texans and the top 4 or 5 teams. if those guys stay healthy and ray rice goes down, or brady or rodgers ... we look like locks. if the reverse is true, we're going to need a lot of luck.

look at the giants. the deeper you get into the playoffs, the more outcomes are determined by defense. they got their d-line healthy at just the right time last season, along with being relatively healthy overall, and it was enough to get them a ring.

yes, i think we do have a super bowl team ... if we can stay healthy, or at least get healthy at the right time.

it's always about injuries. we have a great roster, with a ton of depth and exceptional talent at each level - schaub, andre, foster, d-bo, watt, cush, joseph, manning. with a full roster it would be a great game between the texans and the top 4 or 5 teams. if those guys stay healthy and ray rice goes down, or brady or rodgers ... we look like locks. if the reverse is true, we're going to need a lot of luck.

look at the giants. the deeper you get into the playoffs, the more outcomes are determined by defense. they got their d-line healthy at just the right time last season, along with being relatively healthy overall, and it was enough to get them a ring.

yes, i think we do have a super bowl team ... if we can stay healthy, or at least get healthy at the right time.

Less logic and more Homerism please :bender:

Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

We really can't answer this question without hindsight.

But, we certainly have a team that has the potential to be a Super Bowl team! :texflag:

I have heard of this thing called a Super Bowl. I can't decide if it's a big bowl of cereal, or just something I'm not familiar with.

I have heard of this thing called a Super Bowl. I can't decide if it's a big bowl of cereal, or just something I'm not familiar with.

I figured it was a toilet that takes everything away with the first flush. idonno:

How things change. We are actually talking about if we are SB team or not?
Wow, I love it! Texans all the way baby!

Go Texans!!!

We WILL stay healthy!:superman:

:kubepalm: Mods please delete this post.. For the sake of Andre's legs, Foster's knees, and Schaub's entire body.. delete this post.

Remember "the thread" that was started last season and then guys started dropping like flies? If you're a Texans fan it's like being a baseball player watching your pitcher take a perfect game into the bottom of the 6th inning. Everybody already knows the guy has a no-no going, but NO ONE talks about it! :strangle:

:kubepalm: Mods please delete this post.. For the sake of Andre's legs, Foster's knees, and Schaub's entire body.. delete this post.

Remember "the thread" that was started last season and then guys started dropping like flies? If you're a Texans fan it's like being a baseball player watching your pitcher take a perfect game into the bottom of the 6th inning. Everybody already knows the guy has a no-no going, but NO ONE talks about it! :strangle:

Actually, this whole thread needs to be deleted. But it's funny there's some homers around here who don't believe in karma or jinxes.

I hear people say that, but we will never know.

As for this season, I don't think that this team is near as close to Super Bowl quality as people think. The good thing is that they will have their chance to prove themselves on the field.

As for the next couple of weeks, I think that there is a good chance that we will be 1-2 after the Broncos game.

Im not sure how many 3 Int games Schaub has had in his career but it would be safe to wager that he wouldnt of had one in Baltimore. The offense was scoring 10+ more points a game with Schaub than Yates. We dont know because Matt was sitting out but its pretty clear to most that we would have been a lot better off with Schaub

Actually, this whole thread needs to be deleted. But it's funny there's some homers around here who don't believe in karma or jinxes.

Im not sure its funny that some homers dont believe in karma or jinxes. I think its funnier that some homers believe that anything we do on the board would impact the game.

Im not sure its funny that some homers dont believe in karma or jinxes. I think its funnier that some homers believe that anything we do on the board would impact the game.

Oh it matters :foottap:

Infact I think if they win the Chip, we should all be fitted for a ring. God knows I've paid my dues over the last ten seasons, I have the scarring on my liver to prove it.

I do believe this team could lose, or have injuries and then lose a lot, but I don't believe in jinxes and I don't believe that what I say on a message board is going to have any effect at all on any NFL game.

I do also believe that the Houston Texans are the best team in the NFL right now, and that could change in a hurry, but I'm still going to enjoy it for now.

Back