Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Diggs to Houston

These concerns about Diggs causing a problem are the very reason the Texans made his deal a one year deal. As I've said before he is very unlikely to cause a problem even if he doesn't get the most targets because he's only there for one year. On his past couple of teams the first year or so was fine it was just as time went on that the problems came out. Fact is Diggs was an absolute steal considering we traded just another teams 2nd next year. That was a deal to good to pass up unless it came out Diggs ran over an old lady or something, just sending stupid tweets wouldn't be enough to pass on that. He's just to good to not risk it.

hese concerns about Diggs causing a problem are the very reason the Texans made his deal a one year deal.
That's one way to look at it.

pissing away a 2nd round pick if you ask me.

The way I prefer to look at it is the Texans are making it clear to the player that they value him, what he brings to the table, & that they speak his language.

That locker room stuff is about grown men (coaches) not being able to control the work place. I doubt DeMeco will have that problem. Could be wrong. McDermitt & Brady were.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diggs signs an extension before the end of the 2024 season.

The way I prefer to look at it is the Texans are making it clear to the player that they value him, what he brings to the table, & that they speak his language.

That locker room stuff is about grown men (coaches) not being able to control the work place. I doubt DeMeco will have that problem. Could be wrong. McDermitt & Brady were.

I wouldn't be surprised if Diggs signs an extension before the end of the 2024 season.

or the start

While I don't think the stuff about Diggs is all true at the same time I'm not totally sold on this idea that its because the coaches couldn't control the locker room. AB still played for Tomlin when he started his crap and no one can say Tomlin doesn't control his team, sometimes a player just goes into business for themselves. You see it as pissing away a pick I see it as hedging their bets. They don't really know what they've got in Collins because yeah he looked really good last year but the two years before that he looked really bad so the question is how much is his improvement and how much is CJ. With Diggs you know the talent is there but its the off field stuff you have to worry about and you don't really know what kind of player you've got.

Here's the thing they can't keep both Collins and Diggs on the roster after this year without investing some major cap space which could hurt them in other areas. If Collins has anything close to the year he had last year teams will throw stupid money at him same with Diggs. So you play them both this year, see who looks better long term, work out a new deal if possible tag them if not and then let the other one walk. If they had kept Diggs full contract then the decision will have been made for them and if he goes diva then they are stuck with a problem child.

While I don't think the stuff about Diggs is all true at the same time I'm not totally sold on this idea that its because the coaches couldn't control the locker room. AB still played for Tomlin when he started his crap and no one can say Tomlin doesn't control his team, sometimes a player just goes into business for themselves. You see it as pissing away a pick I see it as hedging their bets. They don't really know what they've got in Collins because yeah he looked really good last year but the two years before that he looked really bad so the question is how much is his improvement and how much is CJ. With Diggs you know the talent is there but its the off field stuff you have to worry about and you don't really know what kind of player you've got.

Here's the thing they can't keep both Collins and Diggs on the roster after this year without investing some major cap space which could hurt them in other areas. If Collins has anything close to the year he had last year teams will throw stupid money at him same with Diggs. So you play them both this year, see who looks better long term, work out a new deal if possible tag them if not and then let the other one walk. If they had kept Diggs full contract then the decision will have been made for them and if he goes diva then they are stuck with a problem child.
Jerry Rice would look like Collins' first two years with the likes of Davis Mills being his QB. Collins is talented enough to have flashed signs of high upside. With CJ throwing him the ball, he looked like an all-pro. Collins has the talent to be a very good WR1 in this league, maybe even elite.
I don't know much about Diggs except that he's a very talented WR who appears to cause problems in the locker room. The Texans weren't doing themselves any favors by voiding the last 3 years of Diggs' contract. There was zero guaranteed money on it after 2024. They could simply have cut him and he would've been a free agent.

The Texans weren't doing themselves any favors by voiding the last 3 years of Diggs' contract. There was zero guaranteed money on it after 2024. They could simply have cut him and he would've been a free agent.
Dead money? Unhappy Diggs?

AB still played for Tomlin when he started his crap and no one can say Tomlin doesn't control his team, sometimes a player just goes into business for themselves.
I'm saying exactly that, Tomlin couldn't control that locker room. Sometimes that money gets to talking so loud the player can't hear anything else. He was vindicated when the Raiders (I think) picked him up. But that's the environment coaches need to be able to manage. The players make more than they do, & they know it.
They don't really know what they've got in Collins because yeah he looked really good last year but the two years before that he looked really bad so the question is how much is his improvement and how much is CJ.
Don't know what you're talking about. Collins has looked good any time & every time he was on the field. His issue was getting on the field.
Here's the thing they can't keep both Collins and Diggs on the roster after this year without investing some major cap space which could hurt them in other areas.
Teams pay ridiculous money all the time & somehow manage their cap, especially in the short term. They're paying Diggs $22MM this year when they were only obligated to pay him $8MM. That's not the kind of decision you make when you're rubbing nickels. At least it shouldn't be.
If Collins has anything close to the year he had last year teams will throw stupid money at him same with Diggs. So you play them both this year, see who looks better long term,
There's not much "long term" in Diggs' future.
If they had kept Diggs full contract then the decision will have been made for them and if he goes diva then they are stuck with a problem child.
If they had kept Diggs full contract they could have cut him at any time with no cap repercussion (not literally any time, but dam near). There was no guaranteed money on Diggs' contract.

Dead money? Unhappy Diggs?
What dead money with the Texans? Diggs' MO is when he's unhappy, he's a large distraction. Large enough that Buffalo ate $31 mil of dead money to show him out the door. He's a Texan for 2024. I hope he either breaks every single season receiving record or takes enough attention away from Collins and Dell that they can set some records. At this point, Diggs is a hired gun to strike while the Texans have major pieces on rookie contracts. I hope it pays off. If it doesn't, at least Cal spent the money to give it a shot. The Texans have a legit 4 year window while CJ and WAJ are on their rookie contracts. Very interested to see how Caserio drafts this year. Trader Nick has a job to do.

What if Tank Dell is our future Diggs?
Diggs 4.46 to Dell's 4.49

10 yards
Diggs 1.54
Dell is 1.49

If Diggs doesn't re-sign then Caserio will most likely be doing the same thing he did this yr again next year.

Trading a low 1st rd pick for a fairly high 2nd rd pick and then trade that pick for 2025's Diggs. Chess

Jerry Rice would look like Collins' first two years with the likes of Davis Mills being his QB. Collins is talented enough to have flashed signs of high upside. With CJ throwing him the ball, he looked like an all-pro. Collins has the talent to be a very good WR1 in this league, maybe even elite.
I don't know much about Diggs except that he's a very talented WR who appears to cause problems in the locker room. The Texans weren't doing themselves any favors by voiding the last 3 years of Diggs' contract. There was zero guaranteed money on it after 2024. They could simply have cut him and he would've been a free agent.
Last year was the first year Collins was relatively healthy.

Texans and all other teams for that matter piss 2nds away on unknowns every year. I like this because Diggs is a very known, respected and elite WR who will impact results immediately,‘especially in a legitimate Super Bowl window.

:logo:

What dead money with the Texans? Diggs' MO is when he's unhappy, he's a large distraction. Large enough that Buffalo ate $31 mil of dead money to show him out the door. He's a Texan for 2024. I hope he either breaks every single season receiving record or takes enough attention away from Collins and Dell that they can set some records. At this point, Diggs is a hired gun to strike while the Texans have major pieces on rookie contracts. I hope it pays off. If it doesn't, at least Cal spent the money to give it a shot. The Texans have a legit 4 year window while CJ and WAJ are on their rookie contracts. Very interested to see how Caserio drafts this year. Trader Nick has a job to do.
I was asking you if there would have been any dead money. There would have been only $3.5M guaranteed after this year, but he would have been under contract thru 2026. Nick talked to him and his agent and they decided to let him test the market after this year and move his guaranteed money to this year, giving him a salary of $22.5M. By doing so, they were able to write his new contract with 4 void years lowering his cap hit to $5.8M this year and ensuring they got the best Diggs has to offer. A win/win for all

Texans and all other teams for that matter piss 2nds away on unknowns every year. I like this because Diggs is a very known, respected and elite WR who will impact results immediately,‘especially in a legitimate Super Bowl window.

On the one hand we have to remember DeMeco Ryans was a 2nd round pick.

On the hand we have to remember teams piss away 2nd round picks.

Classic missed tackle. That was an embarrassing effort by the DB.
Both DBs missed their tackles.........because they attempted "bump" tackles, rather than wrap tackles.........the same problem we've seen with Texans DBs. It's like DBs aren't taught to use their arms to bring down their man........or just play ignore what they are taught.

Both DBs missed their tackles.........because they attempted "bump" tackles, rather than wrap tackles.........the same problem we've seen with Texans DBs. It's like DBs aren't taught to use their arms to bring down their man........or just play ignore what they are taught.
A lot of DBs like to get the big should hit instead of just making the tackle. Big hits make ESPN. Everyday tackles don't.

He did let it continue with Pitre last season. The truth is... Wrapping up has -always- been a cankersore of the Texans defense since day one.
That may just be Pitre because I have seen DR home in on tackling in one of his spiels.
And I know that Texans do not have, and never have had, a monopoly on poor tackling.

Unfortunately, I saw it too many times last season.......very costly when done by the safeties.
You're going to see more bump tackles than ever before with the new rules. Basically, a defender can't make a tackle from behind without drawing a flag. So throwing their bodies into the legs is the next big thing. The law of unintended consequences.

Driveby comment.

I saw Stefon Diggs at SXSW two years ago as a part of their sports track. Really sharp, thoughtful guy in a way you might not realize if you just pay attention to gossip headlines and speculation. One of the best talks I went to the entire time. Obviously has been very productive, and sometimes a WR isn't as productive going from one team to another team, but that wasn't an issue with him.

Some of the gossip stuff, when he was asked directly about it, he has had thoughtful responses. Also part of his reputation is that he is a hard worker, really works to help his teammates.

The weird part of the NFL is the limits that you have in where you work. You lack control. If you are a competitive person, and you don't think you are treated respectfully, what do you do about that? His first two head coaches might not be the kind of guys you may want to work with. One no longer is the head coach, and the other guy, well, has his own issues.

If you value control, the structure of the contract with him makes sense, along with both sides hedging mutual risks. And if they like working together, then they can continue doing that.

There is a team value bringing a vet in who has been wildly successful and is a competitive hard worker by all accounts, even by the people who slag him.

Hope it works out. Every year is a new season but I don't have a problem bringing in productive, competitive people.

/driveby out lfg :texans chick:

You're going to see more bump tackles than ever before with the new rules. Basically, a defender can't make a tackle from behind without drawing a flag. So throwing their bodies into the legs is the next big thing. The law of unintended consequences.
If you're referring to horse collars and hip drop tackles, these are a very minority of called penalties. Tackles from behind can usually be performed cleanly and are not flagged.

Classic missed tackle. That was an embarrassing effort by the DB.
Jeebus that was embarrassing from the DB. First mistake he made was attempting to tackle with his head facing down, like how are you able to track and tackle the ball runner when you take your eyes of them even for a split second? lol

head/eyes up, initiate contact with shoulder, wrap with arms and drive with your legs 🤝

Driveby comment.

I saw Stefon Diggs at SXSW two years ago as a part of their sports track. Really sharp, thoughtful guy in a way you might not realize if you just pay attention to gossip headlines and speculation. One of the best talks I went to the entire time. Obviously has been very productive, and sometimes a WR isn't as productive going from one team to another team, but that wasn't an issue with him.
Some of the gossip stuff, when he was asked directly about it, he has had thoughtful responses. Also part of his reputation is that he is a hard worker, really works to help his teammates.

The weird part of the NFL is the limits that you have in where you work. You lack control. If you are a competitive person, and you don't think you are treated respectfully, what do you do about that? His first two head coaches might not be the kind of guys you may want to work with. One no longer is the head coach, and the other guy, well, has his own issues.

If you value control, the structure of the contract with him makes sense, along with both sides hedging mutual risks. And if they like working together, then they can continue doing that.
There is a team value bringing a vet in who has been wildly successful and is a competitive hard worker by all accounts, even by the people who slag him.
Hope it works out. Every year is a new season but I don't have a problem bringing in productive, competitive people.

/driveby out lfg :texans chick:

...well, I'll be damned if it aint the flawless analogy of corporate-America.

Lance Z's official scouting report on Diggs when he came out of Maryland. Sure hope he can become a starter some day...

Seems pretty spot on to me but how he slipped through the cracks is beyond me?

Fluid, flexible athlete. Five-star recruit who stayed home to help build local program. Instinctive route runner. Does an outstanding job of sinking his hips and exploding out of breaks to create immediate separation. Natural ball-plucker. Excellent body control to adjust to throws, whether they're low, high or behind him. Can make contested catches.

Don’t feel sorry for Bills they only spent a 5th rounder for him & got a ton of production, helped Josh Allen become a franchise QB & 2nd round pick, I’d say that’s excellent return.

Seems pretty spot on to me but how he slipped through the cracks is beyond me?

Fluid, flexible athlete. Five-star recruit who stayed home to help build local program. Instinctive route runner. Does an outstanding job of sinking his hips and exploding out of breaks to create immediate separation. Natural ball-plucker. Excellent body control to adjust to throws, whether they're low, high or behind him. Can make contested catches.

Don’t feel sorry for Bills they only spent a 5th rounder for him & got a ton of production, helped Josh Allen become a franchise QB & 2nd round pick, I’d say that’s excellent return.

They did spend a 5th on him. And a 1st.. and a 6th.. and a 4th the following year.

They did get great production and he did help Allen's development, but they spent a whole hell of a lot more than a stale bag of chips for him.

They did spend a 5th on him. And a 1st.. and a 6th.. and a 4th the following year.

They did get great production and he did help Allen's development, but they spent a whole hell of a lot more than a stale bag of chips for him.

Completely forgot about trade from Vikings 😜
Redo, super steal for Vikings. Buffalo got what it paid for & Houston became his ultimate destination 😂

His draft profiles usually have good info... he does miss from time to time just like everyone else

Thing is he didn’t miss, at least pre-draft. Diggs was selected in the 5th round. Based on LZ’s report, that’s around or a bit lower then LZ’s scouting report would suggest. Seems to me he nailed it. Once guys are in the league,its a different ballgame. Everyone starts over at zero. Or if you want to split hairs, I guess we could say Lance and 32 teams missed.

Texans could have drafted him in the 4th round. They didn’t. 32 teams said pass for over 4 rounds. By my book, that makes Lance more valuable as a source, not less.

Thing is he didn’t miss, at least pre-draft. Diggs was selected in the 5th round. Based on LZ’s report, that’s around or a bit lower then LZ’s scouting report would suggest. Seems to me he nailed it. Once guys are in the league,its a different ballgame. Everyone starts over at zero. Or if you want to split hairs, I guess we could say Lance and 32 teams missed.

Texans could have drafted him in the 4th round. They didn’t. 32 teams said pass for over 4 rounds. By my book, that makes Lance more valuable as a source, not less.
I was talking overall, not what he said about Diggs umpteen years ago. I was responding to the posts ahead of mine

Ah yes… Case Keenum could have been our Romo if cooler heads prevailed back in the day.
..thank God they didn't. That one play between Diggs and Keenum made Case millions of dollars and got Case a starter's contract and job. I liked him a U of H, but Case didn't have the physical skills to be a starter. He was already a old rookie coming in so those skills were already at their peak/on the way down.

Also, I don't want to see the "Texans' Romo"... I don't want to see the "Texans' Dak" either, I watched Schaub.. Hopefully Stroud is a tier above those players.

Keenum is going to be a GREAT coach though!.. Hopefully he stays here.

..thank God they didn't. That one play between Diggs and Keenum made Case millions of dollars and got Case a starter's contract and job. I liked him a U of H, but Case didn't have the physical skills to be a starter. He was already a old rookie coming in so those skills were already at their peak/on the way down.

Also, I don't want to see the "Texans' Romo"... I don't want to see the "Texans' Dak" either, I watched Schaub.. Hopefully Stroud is a tier above those players.

Keenum is going to be a GREAT coach though!.. Hopefully he stays here.
Honestly I haven’t noticed much difference in Cases arm strength rookie vs vet. Just very middle of the road consistent.

Heard the recent interview with Cal and Hannah this morning on 610...

Sounds like they realize that Diggs is a guy that can get 'riled up'. They are banking on the locker room and coaching staff to be able to reel him back in if/when any issues occur.
Yeah, he's not the type they would take on in the past,but talent is talent. I mean, Chris Jones had issue in college. Andy Reid also drafted the cb from UW who was a all pro while Houston took Johnson. You can't have a disruptive locker room, but you also don't want all boy scouts. It's cool to have guys with an edge or personality. The Chiefs have 2 guys off the Texans that weren't trying to hear that nonsense

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back