Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

B/c im not buying into the hype that he’s as good as the hype machine portrays him to be…get your **** straight bud
I have my facts together home boy. You’ve been skitting on Sauce way before the drafts. I guess you don’t remember the conversation we’ve had huh. And you cursing suppose to mean what exactly?

clearly you dont

I dont have to “search” for problems with sauce…they’re readily apparent & have been from day 1… & if you’re not “seeing” that he’s all over social media, then you’re not looking….but then you wouldn’t b/c you said you dont care about twitter nonsense right?
Yeah OBJ’s giants teammates loved him too…so did his Browns teammates….they didnt see any issues with him either…thats pretty much the story with alot of problem child players over the years…

you’re absolutely right, Stingley could just as easily spin out like OBJ…and by me saying that isnt to say that i dont think Sting couldn’t….no smoke there. I get it, you’re a Sauce fan…but none of these guys are perfect prospects and there’s a reason Teams keep going at him…b/c they see an opportunity to use his aggressiveness against him…Hence Allen & the Bills hitting him 1st play out the gate with a 42 yd bomb.

Dont confuse my criticism of him to mean that he’s not playing well. But he does have flaws. Flaws that are being covered up by a stout front 7….for now.

you’re right and I’m not shying away from the comment. There are no problems with Sauce as far as his behavior orhis play on the field. You’re projecting and using your belief that he may become a problem, something that just isn’t there as hard asyou try to help your argument. At this point neither player is a problem. If you want to claim there’s been an issue or proof to this thought process from day one you’re the one who’s wrong. His teammates, CS and fans love him. With good reason. He’s a leader on the team.
BTW saw a breakdown of the first play. The Bills have run that formation a number of times and that was the first time they went to Diggs as in that game. He played it right given his film study. Was a great call. It happens. Other than that he was outstanding against the leagues best offense, helping hold Allen to 100+ yards below his average and the Bills to 53 yards in the 2nd half

Last edited:
Thanks.
I find it interesting that he lectured me for blasting the post when I didn’t in any way, just disagreed. Or because he thinks I only read a single post as opposed to the entire thread.
Then he felt the need to claim I didn’t understand the game because I stated that Sauce has been the better player so far. Because that’s a comment out of left field apparently.
That’s what he does around here when he feels you’re coming at him sideways. During the draft thread the excuse was Sauce hasn’t played against elite competition and that he gets away with being handsy.

you’re right and I’m not shying away from the comment. There are no problems with Sauce as far as his behavior orhis play on the field. You’re projecting and using your belief that he may become a problem, something that just isn’t there as hard asyou try to help your argument. At this point neither player is a problem. If you want to claim there’s been an issue or proof to this thought process from day one you’re the one who’s wrong. His teammates, CS and fans love him. With good reason. He’s a leader on the team.
BTW saw a breakdown of the first play. The Bills have run that formation a number of times and that was the first time they went to Diggs as in that game. He played it right given his film study. Was a great call. It happens. Other than that he was outstanding against the leagues best offense.

im not projecting anything…you guys just can’t handle criticism of your boy. He didnt play it right..he got caught guessing and diggs ran by him.

That’s what he does around here when he feels you’re coming at him sideways. During the draft thread the excuse was Sauce hasn’t played against elite competition and that he gets away with being handsy.

up until last week he hadnt played any elite qb/wr combo…cry about it buddy.

im not projecting anything…you guys just can’t handle criticism of your boy. He didnt play it right..he got caught guessing and diggs ran by him.
You’re criticizing things that aren’t true or an issue. That’s not criticism, that’s speculation based on nothing.
Then blast me for thinking Sauce is one of the best corners in the league and the top rookie corner. Odd argument as of today

It would help if I blasted him.
You accused him of searching for problems with Sauce just to make Stingley look better. That is blasting him imo. And if you state as if it's fact that Sauce is clearly the better player then in my opinion you don't understand the differences between man and zone, how front 7 pressure affects secondary play and how coaching affects play then you don't understand football. And if you think I lectured you with the brief post I made before, you are going to struggle mightily on this board

I have my facts together home boy. You’ve been skitting on Sauce way before the drafts. I guess you don’t remember the conversation we’ve had huh. And you cursing suppose to mean what exactly?
Are you high? Since when is sh!t a curse word? Tex was as high on Gardner as anyone pre-draft and iirc he just didn't want to take a CB at #3

Are you high? Since when is sh!t a curse word? Tex was as high on Gardner as anyone pre-draft and iirc he just didn't want to take a CB at #3
No he wasn’t, go back and look at our conversation during the draft. He did not want the Texans to draft him. And dude whenever you see ****. The freaking system puts it there because it’s a curse word.

You accused him of searching for problems with Sauce just to make Stingley look better. That is blasting him imo. And if you state as if it's fact that Sauce is clearly the better player then in my opinion you don't understand the differences between man and zone, how front 7 pressure affects secondary play and how coaching affects play then you don't understand football. And if you think I lectured you with the brief post I made before, you are going to struggle mightily on this board
Deleted: not my business

Last edited:
Now you're making sh!t up. Pre-draft I was as high on Sauce as anyone and fully expected to take him if not Hamilton. After the draft I was wondering why the Texans didn't take him until I read Lovie's statement that he thought Stingley would fit what he wanted to do better. I think Sauce is a very good player as is Stingley. But only Sauce gets that media hype led by the NY media. Man coverage done well is more romantic than zone coverage done well. Doesn't mean either is the 'better' player

Now you're making sh!t up. Pre-draft I was as high on Sauce as anyone and fully expected to take him if not Hamilton. After the draft I was wondering why the Texans didn't take him until I read Lovie's statement that he thought Stingley would fit what he wanted to do better. I think Sauce is a very good player as is Stingley. But only Sauce gets that media hype led by the NY media. Man coverage done well is more romantic than zone coverage done well. Doesn't mean either is the 'better' player
JB move the F around.

Well a whole lot of people don’t understand the game then. What’s to understand about zone and man D? Jets play both and Sauce has been adept at both so don’t lecture me about what I know about football. I’ve said repeatedly that both have played well but Saice has played better football. The Jets D last season was historically bad and rated bottom of the league. The Texans and Jets both won 4 games last season and the Jets DL is basically the same as a year ago. Sauce has been part, a big part of their drastically improved play.
And yes criticizing his off field behavior, claiming he could become a cancer as OBJ has been is searching for problems that don’t actually exist, so he should stick to what we know. I’m actually the one discuss their play. If we’re talking beyond on field play, given their histories I would be more concerned with Stingley injury history vs Sauces tweets.
If these takes are going to make it hard for me to discuss the game, these players so be it.

Last edited:
Well a whole lot of people don’t understand the game then. What’s to understand about zone and man D? Jets play both and Sauce has been adept at both so don’t lecture me about what I know about football. I’ve said repeatedly that both have played well but Saice has played better football. The Jets D last season was historically bad and rated bottom of the league. Sauce has been part, a big part of their drastically improved play. If that take is going to make it hard for me to discuss the game, so be it.
If your going to consider every reply to you when someone disagrees with you a lecture then why did you sign up here? And Sauce is not the only reason for the improved defensive play of the Jets, but yes he's a big part of it. Why are you getting so upset when someone doesn't buy into his hype?

If your going to consider every reply to you when someone disagrees with you a lecture then why did you sign up here? And Sauce is not the only reason for the improved defensive play of the Jets, but yes he's a big part of it. Why are you getting so upset when someone doesn't buy into his hype?
Not every reply, just the posts where someone tells me I don’t know the game because I like Sauces game and dont see imaginary issues that don’t exist. You have issue with what I’m posting fine, disagree, tell me why I’m wrong. Don’t be a baby claiming I don’t know the game. Or that I don’t know the difference zone or man. Whatever reason that was brought up
I didn’t say he’s the only reason for the Ds improved play.
its not hype, he deserves the praise he’s gotten.

Wow unbelievable. Yes your hate runs deep for this young man. You have been hating on this youngster way before the draft. First it was because the competition. Now it’s because the Jets front 7.

Are you saying Sauce doesn't have flaws or that the NYJ front 7 isn't better than the Texans? I dont have a dog in this fight, because I think both will eventually become great players. Stingley needs a better front 7 against him.

Reactions: JB
Are you saying Sauce doesn't have flaws or that the NYJ front 7 isn't better than the Texans? I dont have a dog in this fight, because I think both will eventually become great players. Stingley needs a better front 7 against him.
Man are you freaking serious. Everybody on this earth has flaws. Nowhere in my comment suggests otherwise. What I do know is the young man is a baller and he’s handling his business with the Jets.

Look the TD from Mac Jones around the 2:30-min mark in the video.

Look at each of the receivers. They each had a defender following.
Look at how the defender in the middle with the pink shoes frantically calling to Joyner to get his butt over to cover the guy that caught the TD (Myers).

Unless Sauce was supposed to cover two guys at the same time, I don't see how one can put that TD on him.

Really ? have you ytried it ?
As a native Missourian Iv'e had a lot of really good BBQ up there and as a long-time Texas resident I've also had a lot of good BBQ right here.
Yep and I do not like the sauce but then I am not a huge sauce fan

Not every reply, just the posts where someone tells me I don’t know the game because I like Sauces game and dont see imaginary issues that don’t exist. You have issue with what I’m posting fine, disagree, tell me why I’m wrong. Don’t be a baby claiming I don’t know the game. Or that I don’t know the difference zone or man. Whatever reason that was brought up
I didn’t say he’s the only reason for the Ds improved play.
its not hype, he deserves the praise he’s gotten.
If you don't see that he's been pumped up by the media, I don't know what to tell you. It's been explained to you that liking Sauce's game has nothing to do with it.He plays mostly man coverage where Stingley plays mostly zone. We were talking about media hype not player ability. You refuse to acknowledge that Stingley is a top cornerback and state that Sauce is clearly better. That is what I have an issue with. What do you base that on? Stats? Hype? PFF grade? The difference in types of coverage and front 7 and coaching account for all 3 of those. Don't get personal and start name calling dude!

Man are you freaking serious. Everybody on this earth has flaws. Nowhere in my comment suggests otherwise. What I do know is the young man is a baller and he’s handling his business with the Jets.

So we agree that this is act one of a long play.

I just asked 2 simple questions and you responded like this, I appologize for getting under your skin.

If you don't see that he's been pumped up by the media, I don't know what to tell you. It's been explained to you that liking Sauce's game has nothing to do with it.He plays mostly man coverage where Stingley plays mostly zone. We were talking about media hype not player ability. You refuse to acknowledge that Stingley is a top cornerback and state that Sauce is clearly better. That is what I have an issue with. What do you base that on? Stats? Hype? PFF grade? The difference in types of coverage and front 7 and coaching account for all 3 of those. Don't get personal and start name calling dude!
Ever think he’s being pumped up because he’s just that good? He’s been great for the Jets from week 1. He’s not a product of the media, a player who came out of nowhere. He’s doing exactly what was predicted after his 3 years in Cincy.
You may want to read up on Salehs defense, it’s usually mostly zone, has been since he coached cover 2 in Seattle and then in SF. Was with the Jets, but they’ve changed it up somewhat because Sauce is ridiculous in press coverage. Why I laughed off being told I don’t know the difference between zone and man. They’ve added in a lot if man and have been surprised at how well Sauce has adapted to zone.
I’ve said, again, repeatedly that they’re both good. But you can’t get over with the part that says Sauce has played better so far.
The Jets front 7 is good. Helps but doesn’t make a bad corner good, he’s still shutting down his man, keeping completions down.
After the Bills game Von Miller couldn’t stop taking about Sauce and his play. Wasn’t hype
Who called anyone names?

Last edited:
Ever think he’s being pumped up because he’s just that good? He’s been great for the Jets from week 1. He’s not a product of the media, a player who came out of nowhere. He’s doing exactly what was predicted after his 3 years in Cincy.
You may want to read up on Salehs defense, it’s mostly zone, has been since he coached cover 2 in Seattle and then in SF. Why I laughed off being told I don’t know the difference between zone and man. They’ve added in a lot if man and have been surprised at how well Sauce has adapted to zone.
I’ve said, again, repeatedly that they’re both good. But you can’t get over with the part that says Sauce has played better so far.
The Jets front 7 is good. Helps but doesn’t make a bad corner good, he’s still shutting down his man, keeping completions down.
After the Bills game Von Miller couldn’t stop taking about Sauce and his play. Wasn’t hype
Who called anyone names?

Preach on, they can only deny reality to save their own objectives/riotousness.

I'm going to change the name of accused to protect his identity, it's now just Gardner. The man takes to his gardening seriously. He's as adept with his long scissor sheers as his 360-degree turning radius to catch that most untimely and tricky weed. If he can't jump over a bush, he can just reach around and pluck the fruit. Thier is a bit of lag in reaction time to smaller, quicker growing verities, but his make-up speed is electrifying like when lighting strikes a tree. He is just a Gardner that tends to his garden, likes it neat and trimmed, no surprises and isn't afraid of any challenges to curtail growth in his yard whatever is thrown his way.

Disagreeing with the Sauce love is anathema in these parts. Opinions not allowed

I'm wondering why this thread was started?

Although I'm glad it was.
It was started so everyone would agree with each other and say how smart you are to agree with me

edit: Actually it was started so everyone could laugh at the Texans for taking Stingley instead of THE ANOINTED ONE and how could they be so stupid!

In about three or four years we'll know which was the better pick. But in the meantime, I guess there's no harm in bashing each others heads in with no real data yet. It is what we do around here, ya know. LOL

A bit of semantics here. I will still argue that the 3rd pick in the draft shouldn't have been used for Stingley because of his injury history, and I will still argue that. However, judging the players performance is a different thing than judging the player by the slot he was drafted in. Stingley, as a rookie, is doing fine as a rookie CB IMO. In fact, I quite happily surprised he is still upright and playing.

In about three or four years we'll know which was the better pick. But in the meantime, I guess there's no harm in bashing each others heads in with no real data yet. It is what we do around here, ya know. LOL

And when there is a conclusive result nobody will admit they were wrong or even address it. They will have moved on to the next rookie player comparisons. Such is life on Texans Talk!

basically…folks cant handle criticism of their boy…and im “searching” for “imaginary” flaws…

seems totally backwards. Those here who are talking up Sauce taking about how well he’s played and not trying to bring down your guy. Also they’re not complaining that people like Stingley.
Funny when we see what we want to see and it doesn’t quite match up to reality

seems totally backwards. Those here who are talking up Sauce taking about how well he’s played and not trying to bring down your guy. Also they’re not complaining that people like Stingley.
Funny when we see what we want to see and it doesn’t quite match up to reality

What I want to know is what was the purpose of this thread at the time it was made?

Back