Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Derek Stingley vs. Sauce Gardner

During that draft, I saw reports that Lovie was in love with Stingley's breakout season and thought he could return to that. Lovie had no concept of the injury. Doctors told him what he wanted to hear.
Again, as we found out in this last draft, those reports don't mean squat. I mean 4 cb's were drafted in the 1st rd and it seems like Texans got the wrong one. There is no way a talent eval can watch Stingley the last 2 years at LSU and thought he played well. When he played, it wasn't good. McDuffie, Gardner, and Elam were better than he was last year.

Again, as we found out in this last draft, those reports don't mean squat. I mean 4 cb's were drafted in the 1st rd and it seems like Texans got the wrong one. There is no way a talent eval can watch Stingley the last 2 years at LSU and thought he played well. When he played, it wasn't good. McDuffie, Gardner, and Elam were better than he was last year.
You act like the Texans are supposed to think logically. Doesn't that go against everything they've shown the past 23 years?

Agreed

But that's not the way the Texans work. Caserio gets the players the HC wants. This includes Lovie and Ryans. This still goes on today Ryans wanted WA and Caserio is the guy who makes it happen. It's called a GM and HC working together. Lynch and Shanny do the same thing for the 49ers. I know Texans fans aren't used to this setup after the RS/BOB yrs.
Look no further than the Trey Lance draft. Shanny wanted him, Lynch got him. Helluva mistake, but they've moved on.

As I have pointed out before and as @JB posts, you continue to voice what should be the case. Lovie "should have wanted " a different CB. Well, so should have Caserio who i would think would have even greater need/want to go with the less riskier and arguably better Gardner.
There is better "no way!' for Nick than Lovie as GM needed to solidify his position at the time of draft than Lovie.

Doc, you have my upmost respect. If you say it, I believe it. I don't think other posters will understand and still blame NC.
It's not that I don't believe or respect CnnD. It's that I think it's the job of the GM to influence others & change minds. He's the expert & it's his job to protect the non-experts from themselves. We all know how impressionable Cal is. That should have been easy. Lovie might have been a little tougher, but the evidence was substantial against Stingley at 2 regardless of Gardner being there as well.

Cal will call Nick on the carpet regarding Sting, and Nick will just pass the buck to his short timer HC. What a screwed up organization this is.

giphy.gif

It's not that I don't believe or respect CnnD. It's that I think it's the job of the GM to influence others & change minds. He's the expert & it's his job to protect the non-experts from themselves. We all know how impressionable Cal is. That should have been easy. Lovie might have been a little tougher, but the evidence was substantial against Stingley at 2 regardless of Gardner being there as well.
He can give his thoughts Whether they're taken or not is another matter. Truth is Cal said Caserio was brought in to run the football side of things and then the McNair's knee capped him. After this happened Caserio is now just carrying out what the HC and ownership/fan council want to do. In fact I think Caserio has kinda checked out and is just collecting the 36 mil. Considering how things have gone down on Kirby I really cant blame him.

Stingley at his Pro Day said a Lisfranc once it's repaired, you won't have to worry about it again. He also said that none of the teams he interviewed with were concerned with the Lisfranc injury. Unfortunately, there are many decision-makers that are ignorant regarding injuries, but too ignorant to know that they are ignorant.

Should I repeat what I typed earlier or are you pretending you didn't understand?
I understand what you're saying and the difference is. Caserio isn't running the entire football program as Cal promised he would. Ryans is going to get his guys if there's a difference in opinion. This is the way the McNair's want their org ran. Same as it was run when Bob was alive, except RS had the McNair's ear until he didn't. You can accept this or not, Caserio accepted this and is getting paid at this point.

This is certainly how we wish or expect the going on to have been. But we weren't privy to these talks and decisions. 2022 is the past. 2023 is the now.

The discussion over the 2023 draft has largely been over the Stroud/Anderson picks. What I find interesting as well is the Scruggs pick, moving from 65 into the bottom of the 2nd round (62), and who was the instrumental voice behind this selection. The interest behind this player, and the move up to insure his selection, is why I believe he was selected to be the long term answer at the Center position.

I understand what you're saying and the difference is. Caserio isn't running the entire football program as Cal promised he would. Ryans is going to get his guys if there's a difference in opinion. This is the way the McNair's want their org ran. Same as it was run when Bob was alive, except RS had the McNair's ear until he didn't. You can accept this or not, Caserio accepted this and is getting paid at this point.

If this was how it has always been, why has the last 5 years or so been such a departure from before. BOB going postal. 3 coaches in 3 seasons, chaos, all other kinds of indecision and lack of direction. I remember the RS days and he wasn’t let off the hook out side of the Brock Osweiler situation which was publicly stated that it came from the owner. He got more than his fare share of blame. So is this because of. stark contrast between Cal and BOB or is it between BOB, RS, and now Casserio? If RS had the owner’s ear and kept the old man from interfering, why doesn’t Nick? And if that’s what it takes to effectively lead the team, build consensus, then you have to credit RS for having that skill that apparently Nick Casserio is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this was how it has always been, why has the last 5 years or so been such a departure from before. BOB going postal. 3 coaches in 3 seasons, chaos, all other kinds of indecision and lack of direction. I remember the RS days and he wasn’t let off the hook out side of the Brock Osweiler situation which was publicly stated that it came from the owner. He got more than his fare share of blame. So is this because of. stark contrast between Cal and BOB or is it between BOB, RS, and now Casserio? If RS had the owner’s ear and kept the old man from interfering, why doesn’t Nick? And if that’s what it takes to effectively lead the team, build consensus, then you have to credit RS for having that skill that apparently Nick Casserio is lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS had the power because Bob McNair was running the team and he was the godfather to Cal's kids. That's the difference. Just because RS had this skill didn't mean he was good at his job He was the ultimate politician, plastic man. Stabbing Kubiak in the back told me all I needed to know about RS.

Stingley at his Pro Day said a Lisfranc once it's repaired, you won't have to worry about it again. He also said that none of the teams he interviewed with were concerned with the Lisfranc injury. Unfortunately, there are many decision-makers that are ignorant regarding injuries, but too ignorant to know that they are ignorant.
I've had several people that questioned that Stingley could have ever said this. So I'll submit this:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Derek Stingley Jr. pro day
Stingley participated in LSU's pro day on April 6 — one of the latest in college football — and seemed to put to bed any lingering injury concerns teams may have had.

The 6-0, 190-pounder not only ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, but he also put up a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-2 broad jump on top of his position drills.

Stingley said at the event that the Lisfranc injury is no longer a concern:

"The Lisfranc injury, it happened on the first day of camp," he said. "And I played those three games (to start the '21 season) with the Lisfranc.

"When I hurt it, it was painful. But the Lisfranc is an injury, once you get it fixed, you'll never worry about it again. I feel fine right now.
It doesn't even feel like I hurt it in the first place."

Stingley said he felt his pro day performance was enough to show teams "nothing has changed" and that "I'm still me."

"I just wanted to show that nothing has changed over these past couple of years," he said. "Just go out there and do what I did.

"It was good, it was fun. The teams just wanted to see how I moved and after I showed them that I'm still me, everything is going to be good."

I've had several people that questioned that Stingley could have ever said this. So I'll submit this:

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Derek Stingley Jr. pro day
Stingley participated in LSU's pro day on April 6 — one of the latest in college football — and seemed to put to bed any lingering injury concerns teams may have had.

The 6-0, 190-pounder not only ran a 4.37 40-yard dash, but he also put up a 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 10-2 broad jump on top of his position drills.

Stingley said at the event that the Lisfranc injury is no longer a concern:

"The Lisfranc injury, it happened on the first day of camp," he said. "And I played those three games (to start the '21 season) with the Lisfranc.

"When I hurt it, it was painful. But the Lisfranc is an injury, once you get it fixed, you'll never worry about it again. I feel fine right now.
It doesn't even feel like I hurt it in the first place."

Stingley said he felt his pro day performance was enough to show teams "nothing has changed" and that "I'm still me."

"I just wanted to show that nothing has changed over these past couple of years," he said. "Just go out there and do what I did.

"It was good, it was fun. The teams just wanted to see how I moved and after I showed them that I'm still me, everything is going to be good."
Well, I guess it's water under the bridge now. He's who we drafted & will have to live with. The good part is, with the team rebuild taking shape & if we can get a couple of good years out of him, we'll be able to draft his replacement & move on from him. There will always be another good CB available in every draft & every team misses on a prospect every now & then. This is why the owners should stay out of the War Room & let the people they hired do their job. Thanks for all your insight Doc.

This is why the owners should stay out of the War Room & let the people they hired do their job. Thanks for all your insight Doc.
I haven't seen any conjecture that ownership was involved in the Stingley pick. This was the result of the people they hired.

The hand wringing over this 1 pick is silly. He’s injured again…has been injured in the past…guesses that he would get injured again only go so far as that…guesses.

I have the upmost respect for CND and everything that he contributes to this forum, but this is the game. Guys get injured. Can’t be scared to take a chance on a guy b/c of that. You scared to pick a guy b/c he had a significant injury, that eliminates the current DPOY and his brother from consideration the years they came out.

y’all think y’all upset/pissed now, imagine how pissed you’d be if you were scared away from taking a Nick Bosa b/c of his vast injury history and selected Clelin Ferrell.. yeah he healthy & don’t miss games..but he sucks.

The hand wringing over this 1 pick is silly. He’s injured again…has been injured in the past…guesses that he would get injured again only go so far as that…guesses.

I have the upmost respect for CND and everything that he contributes to this forum, but this is the game. Guys get injured. Can’t be scared to take a chance on a guy b/c of that. You scared to pick a guy b/c he had a significant injury, that eliminates the current DPOY and his brother from consideration the years they came out.

y’all think y’all upset/pissed now, imagine how pissed you’d be if you were scared away from taking a Nick Bosa b/c of his vast injury history and selected Clelin Ferrell.. yeah he healthy & don’t miss games..but he sucks.
If 2 prospects are close in your evaluations, then you choose the prospect with the lesser injury history. Unfortunately CnD appears to have gotten the Stingley pick right.

First of all, let me say that despite the fact that we don't always agree on things, I also respect your opposing takes.

There are injuries and there are injuries. In college, Joey Bosa suffered a sports hernia in his last year. Nick Bosa suffered the same injury in college (evidently a familial hereditary weakness). A sports hernia when repaired seldom results in permanent signficant performance deficits. Nick Bosa also had a pre NFL history of ACL tear.................in high school. Such an injury to a DE/OLB (unlike in the case of a WR) will seldom have significant effect on future performance after 2 years............it was obvious that Nick was not affected in his college career by the ACL. In contrast, a Lisfranc that necessitates a surgical repair is notorious for leaving a player with long-term performance deficits and with increased risk for secondary and compensatory injuries.

First of all, let me say that despite the fact that we don't always agree on things, I also respect your opposing takes.

There are injuries and there are injuries. In college, Joey Bosa suffered a sports hernia in his last year. Nick Bosa suffered the same injury in college (evidently a familial hereditary weakness). A sports hernia when repaired seldom results in permanent signficant performance deficits. Nick Bosa also had a pre NFL history of ACL tear.................in high school. Such an injury to a DE/OLB (unlike in the case of a WR) will seldom have significant effect on future performance after 2 years............it was obvious that Nick was not affected in his college career by the ACL. In contrast, a Lisfranc that necessitates a surgical repair is notorious for leaving a player with long-term performance deficits and with increased risk for secondary and compensatory injuries.

agreed, but at the end of the day whether there’s long term performance deficits or not, you can’t predict when or even if a guy will ever be able to remain relatively injury free...even if he entersd
the league “healthy”…or without an injury that over the long haul will impede his performance.

Though Joey Bosa’s injuries allowed him to recover 100% with no performance deficits, he still suffered them and continues to to the point he has only been able to be healthy and play in all 16 games for only 2 of his now 8 seasons; missed 13 games due to injury in his 1st 3 seasons.

I just don’t see the difference in something like that and Stingley’s situation. And I certainly wouldn’t pass on a guy who I thought had the talent to be a great pro b/c of the type of injury they had.

At the end of the day, he’s just 1 pick. 1 guy playing a position that can easily be schemed around at that. Sauce hasn’t missed any games…a lot of good that’s doing the jets right now.

but it’s cool, we can agree to disagree.

I just hope if they have to take guys with LisFranc injuries they do it in the 3rd rd or later. Really around pick #100 will I be comfortable taking a guy that's had a Lisfranc injury. I would take a chance on a guy with an ACL (Not a WR) before I would take a chance on a guy with a Lisfranc. Schaub and now Stingley have stained me.

I just hope if they have to take guys with LisFranc injuries they do it in the 3rd rd or later. Really around pick #100 will I be comfortable taking a guy that's had a Lisfranc injury. I would take a chance on a guy with an ACL (Not a WR) before I would take a chance on a guy with a Lisfranc. Schaub and now Stingley have stained me.
I agree but do not want to draft a player with a lisFranc injury at all.

Last edited:
Can this thread just go away? There really is no competition between the two. Sauce plays lights out and Stingley stays on IR. The absolute worst draft pick in Texans history, and that's saying something.

Can this thread just go away? There really is no competition between the two. Sauce plays lights out and Stingley stays on IR. The absolute worst draft pick in Texans history, and that's saying something.

Both 1st round picks from last year are busts.

Nope, Carr over Peppers was the worst by far. 4 wasted yrs a a lazy bleep, vs drafting a HOF.

I LOL a guys a bust after his rookie yr and 2 games?

Nope, Carr over Peppers was the worst by far. 4 wasted yrs a a lazy bleep, vs drafting a HOF.

I LOL a guys a bust after his rookie yr and 2 games?
Agree to disagree on the worst draft pick.
Yeah, I consider a player with major injury history in college and will miss at least 15 of his first 34 games on IR a bust. Can wait to see how many games he misses in season 3.

Sauce is already the best CB in the NFL. Stingley is made of glass. Not hard to figure out

He’s the most hyped…& I see you’re a victim of said hype…but he’s certainly not the best cb in the league. When the critics came for him this year, he shut his social media down b/c he couldn’t take it.

Teams do not fear him at all, he does not travel and he does not get turnovers. He has exactly 1 more int than Stingley does and he’s missed no games. Hill wasn’t healthy last year when they played & neither was Tua. I suspect that this year when the Jets match up with Miami with a healthy Hill/Waddle & Tua they will have their way with him.

Agree to disagree on the worst draft pick.
Yeah, I consider a player with major injury history in college and will miss at least 15 of his first 34 games on IR a bust. Can wait to see how many games he misses in season 3.
I can't disagree with you, but I try to give all of thes guys 2 1/2 yrs before coming to this conclusion.

He’s the most hyped…& I see you’re a victim of said hype…but he’s certainly not the best cb in the league. When the critics came for him this year, he shut his social media down b/c he couldn’t take it.

Teams do not fear him at all, he does not travel and he does not get turnovers. He has exactly 1 more int than Stingley does and he’s missed no games. Hill wasn’t healthy last year when they played & neither was Tua. I suspect that this year when the Jets match up with Miami with a healthy Hill/Waddle & Tua they will have their way with him.
Sherman in his prime didn't travel, neither did Nmandi. I don't recall Champ traveling either. Some defensive coaches don't want to swap sides with corners because that can be a tell.

agreed, but at the end of the day whether there’s long term performance deficits or not, you can’t predict when or even if a guy will ever be able to remain relatively injury free...even if he entersd
the league “healthy”…or without an injury that over the long haul will impede his performance.

Though Joey Bosa’s injuries allowed him to recover 100% with no performance deficits, he still suffered them and continues to to the point he has only been able to be healthy and play in all 16 games for only 2 of his now 8 seasons; missed 13 games due to injury in his 1st 3 seasons.

I just don’t see the difference in something like that and Stingley’s situation. And I certainly wouldn’t pass on a guy who I thought had the talent to be a great pro b/c of the type of injury they had.

At the end of the day, he’s just 1 pick. 1 guy playing a position that can easily be schemed around at that. Sauce hasn’t missed any games…a lot of good that’s doing the jets right now.

but it’s cool, we can agree to disagree.

In literally every business, there is risk management decisions made. But there’s times to swing for the fences and there’s times to be more cautious and conservative. Those risks can be human capital, as is the case here.

In this case, I don’t even think it’s close. This was an unnecessary risk, and an extremely dumb decision. And no it’s not hindsight. I said before the draft I wouldn’t touch him until the 2nd round. I know you will go to the mat on this. Some people refuse to give up their position, no matter how obvious it is to others, so I won’t try to convince you.

Sherman in his prime didn't travel, neither did Nmandi. I don't recall Champ traveling either. Some defensive coaches don't want to swap sides with corners because that can be a tell.

Namdi was a fraud. He was never as good as everyone thought. He really only had 1 impressive season. The rest was just hype from that season and the fact that qb’s didn’t throw at him. But that wasn’t b/c he was so good. It was b/c he wouldn’t travel with the offense's best WR and so all they did was send their #1 to the other side and throw to them over there. Got exposed the minute he left the Raiders.

Champ could travel if you needed him to and he did at select times in his career. Sauce is the most like Sherman But like Champ, both these got their hands on the ball regularly …& that’s ultimately what put fear in qb’s whether they traveled or not. Sauce….at least at this point in his career has not shown that he can do that.

Back