Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills vs rookie QBs

Dejaview

All Pro
Mills wasn't a world beater but I thought he looked pretty damn good starting his first game in prime time on a short week.

It will be interesting to see what he looks like with a long week practicing with the starters to prepare for the Bills.
tonight 67.9 comp %, 168 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int, 95.5 rating

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Justin Fields certainly underwhelmed against the Browns.

6-20 68 yards

12 rushing yards

Sacked 9 times (!!!)
Mr. #1 hasn't actually been lighting it up either. I believe Mills has all the physical tools to be a franchise guy. Whether he develops or not remains to be seen, but you can say that about everyone in this class, and no one has been clear head and shoulders above the next. Given that, I'd rather have Mills at 3.67. He's not your typical 3rd round QB prospect, usually they lack either arm talent or size.. He checks all the size/strength boxes. I hope he develops and I hope we have the right staff to develop him.

Last edited:
Justin Fields certainly underwhelmed against the Browns.

6-20 68 yards

12 rushing yards

Sacked 9 times (!!!)

Our 3rd round pick is looking like a better value with each rookie QB first rounder’s next performance it seems.
I don't think you can read too much into rookie and young quarterbacks struggling when they have absolutely no offensive line to protect them.

Trubisky and Foles didn't just struggle last season simply because they aren't very good. I hope Justin Fields has a lot of intestinal fortitude because if not his career could be over rather quickly. Not because he does not have the talent but due to trying to lead a bad Bears offense and losing confidence.

I saw some positive things from DM against the Panthers so that's something. It could get quite ugly next Sunday but hopefully we see some promise in his play.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I don't think you can read too much into rookie and young quarterbacks struggling when they have absolutely no offensive line to protect them.

Trubisky and Foles didn't just struggle last season simply because they aren't very good. I hope Justin Fields has a lot of intestinal fortitude because if not his career could be over rather quickly. Not because he does not have the talent but due to trying to lead a bad Bears offense and losing confidence.

I saw some positive things from DM against the Panthers but he will look real bad against the Bills. You can bank on it!
That’s a fair point but Nagy is going on his 4th season as the Bears HC.

Dejaview

All Pro
Mr. #1 hasn't actually been lighting it up either. I believe Mills has all the physical tools to be a franchise guy. Whether he develops or not remains to be seen, but you can say that about everyone in this class, and no one has been clear head and shoulders above the next. Given that, I'd rather have Mills at 3.67. He's not your typical 3rd round QB prospect, usually they lack either arm talent or size.. He checks all the size/strength boxes. I hope he develops and I hope we have the right staff to develop him.
I’d take Lawrence in a heartbeat

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
He'll be fired at the end of the season.. No way they'll trust him with another highly drafted QB. In this housing market, I'd already be looking to list. He gone..
Agreed unless the defense can bail him out again to get to the playoffs.

I think the biggest miss in QB evaluation is coaching/fit.

Look at Josh Rosen. All it took was one season to make him damaged goods when he went to a horrible situation. Then his new coaching staff found a better player/fit for them and his confidence was shattered. Maybe he’ll be rehabilitated as a backup for a stint but it don’t look good.

Dejaview

All Pro

I saw some positive things from DM against the Panthers but he will look real bad against the Bills. You can bank on it!
Betting that a third round QB with 6 quarters of football will look bad playing against a team I think will be in the SB is about as brave a prediction as banking on Billie Jean King beating a roller skate wearing Bobby Riggs. Wonder what the odds are on that one.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Betting that a third round QB with 6 quarters of football will look bad playing against a team I think will be in the SB is about as brave a prediction as banking on Billie Jean King beating a roller skate wearing Bobby Riggs. Wonder what the odds are on that one.
In this day and age, a broken hip, blown out knee, and a following stroke..

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans believe rookie QB Davis Mills ‘can handle a lot more’
Sep 26, 2021

Davis Mills stood tall in the pocket and delivered a strike on an accurate sideline pass to Brandin Cooks, processing fast to hit the veteran wide receiver.

Mills’ 30-yard pass to Cooks led to a red zone touchdown pass to uncovered slot receiver Anthony Miller.

Although the Texans lost, 24-9, to the Carolina Panthers, Mills’ performance was encouraging enough against the NFL’s top-ranked defense that coach David Culley indicated the volume of the playbook will be expanded for the rookie quarterback going forward.

After Mills completed 19 of 28 passes for 168 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions for a 95.5 passer rating as the replacement for injured quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the offense is likely to open up in his second NFL start next week against the Buffalo Bills.

“Going into this ballgame, obviously, with Davis and it being his first game getting a full-time start, is that we wanted to make sure that we kind of kept it to the vest in what we were doing for him,” Culley said. “I think what we end up doing is, we got to the point that we probably felt like we kind of went too far with trying to protect him and just kind of doing what we feel like we need to do.

“What we did find out coming out of this game is that he can handle a lot more than what we felt like, because of the way he handled himself in this ballgame. Moving forward, we’ll just get back to doing the things that we had started doing in that first game and a half when Tyrod was our starting quarterback.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

Dejaview

All Pro

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Nagy's playcalling certainly didn't do Fields any favors and I'm not a fan of Fields. Essentially Fields didn't stand a chance.

ROFLMAO..You got me on that.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
He looks similar to how Watson looked under Kelly in that they might as well punt on 1st down for 2 or 3 series then get into some rhythm, then go back to the 3 and outs.

Im intrigued that Taylor wasn’t suffering this same issue; I guess because he isn’t playing any hero ball and has the vet savvy to find the pass and take what the D is giving him.

There’s been some nice plays but also a lot of wtf moments where he clearly has a different read to his receiver.

The worry is whether his development curve can outpace the rate at which his weaknesses are exposed on tape.

We’ve seen young QBs fail that arms race plenty of times. It isn’t pretty to watch.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He looks similar to how Watson looked under Kelly in that they might as well punt on 1st down for 2 or 3 series then get into some rhythm, then go back to the 3 and outs.
How many 3 & Outs were there Thursday night?

There’s been some nice plays but also a lot of wtf moments where he clearly has a different read to his receiver.
I can think of one. Maybe two.

austins23

Hall of Fame

Trubisky, Foles, and Dalton all struggled because Nagy sucks. Fields may get “Carr’ed” with this guy.

austins23

Hall of Fame
That’s a fair point but Nagy is going on his 4th season as the Bears HC.
He'll be fired at the end of the season.. No way they'll trust him with another highly drafted QB. In this housing market, I'd already be looking to list. He gone..
Nagy's playcalling certainly didn't do Fields any favors and I'm not a fan of Fields. Essentially Fields didn't stand a chance.
see my post above. I’m not a Fields fan either but he doesn’t stand a chance with this coach.

I like what I’ve seen from Mills so far. Dude has some huevos.

Dejaview

All Pro
All this and look at his NFL debuts…Browns, Panthers and now the Bills. Talk about baptism by fire. Never looks rattled. Checks that intangible box. With TT out I couldn’t imagine watching a journeyman QB now. he could be huge in our turnaround.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Depends, did Riggs place a bet on King winning?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
All this and look at his NFL debuts…Browns, Panthers and now the Bills. Talk about baptism by fire. Never looks rattled. Checks that intangible box. With TT out I couldn’t imagine watching a journeyman QB now. he could be huge in our turnaround.
Kind of reminds me of Nathan Peterman’s debut in the NFL… but without the historically bad confidence shattering performance.

mws

Rookie
How many 3 & Outs were there Thursday night?
Texans Drives:

1. Punt - 3 plays, 4 yards, 1:26
2. Punt - 5 plays, 17 yards, 3:06
3. Punt - 6 plays, 31 yards, 5:00
4. Punt - 3 plays, 2 yards, 1:52
5. Touchdown - 7 plays, 64 yards, 1:12

-- half --

6. Punt - 10 plays, 39 yards, 4:23
7. Punt - 3 plays, -5 yards, 2:05
8. Field Goal - 8 plays, 40 yards, 3:35
9. Downs - 5 plays, 19 yards, 1:36

Texans Drives:

-- half --

Thanks for taking the time to find this.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans Drives:

-- half --

Right.... @welsh texan comment about might as well punt on 1st down doesn’t make sense. The Panthers punted just as often.