Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills vs rookie QBs

Jimmy G will be the next Texans qb.....His situation in SF is tenous at best, they've already drafted their qb of the future, there will be pressure from the fans to start Lance......and as much as folks hate it, there is the NE connection here with Caserio. His deal is also somewhat favorable for us...he's only got 1 year left at 24M.

& hopefully that means the Texans will be drafting o-line early and heavy in 2022. Hello Mr. Linderbaum.....
Jimmy not coming to this crap show Tex.

Jimmy G will be the next Texans qb.....His situation in SF is tenous at best, they've already drafted their qb of the future, there will be pressure from the fans to start Lance......and as much as folks hate it, there is the NE connection here with Caserio. His deal is also somewhat favorable for us...he's only got 1 year left at 24M.

& hopefully that means the Texans will be drafting o-line early and heavy in 2022. Hello Mr. Linderbaum.....
If anybody wants to link the Texans to the Pats in any way I got NP because we are talking about the most successful NFL franchise of contemporary times. Where's the problem with that ?
Re Jimmy Gs comp, maybe unable to trade him the 49ers will find themselves in the position of having to release him outright, or absorb some of the contract themselves to consummate a trade ?

If anybody wants to link the Texans to the Pats in any way I got NP because we are talking about the most successful NFL franchise of contemporary times. Where's the problem with that ?
Re Jimmy Gs comp, maybe unable to trade him the 49ers will find themselves in the position of having to release him outright, or absorb some of the contract themselves to consummate a trade ?

that’s what I’m saying. He may not have a choice but to come here if he’s traded. Fact is, he hasn’t exactly distinguished himself enough with Shanny & co. I could see NC. Negotiating some kind of trade to get him here that could send Cooks and some low draft considerations this year & next.

If Caserio moves to get Garoppolo….is he then admitting he made a mistake in drafting Mills? If he tries to slant the signing as a veteran mentorship for Mills then why would Garoppolo want to be a lame duck QB?

I think Caserio sticks with Mills while adding much needed talent around him via the draft and free agency. Maybe TT will have no desire to play for the Texans in 2022 but his best opportunity to start in the NFL begins and ends in Houston…..unfortunately, that opportunity was this season and next season will be Mills year to prove he’s the Texans future. TT will sign elsewhere next season and the Texans will find an inexpensive veteran QB2.

If Caserio moves to get Garoppolo….is he then admitting he made a mistake in drafting Mills? If he tries to slant the signing as a veteran mentorship for Mills then why would Garoppolo want to be a lame duck QB?

I think Caserio sticks with Mills while adding much needed talent around him via the draft and free agency. Maybe TT will have no desire to play for the Texans in 2022 but his best opportunity to start in the NFL begins and ends in Houston…..unfortunately, that opportunity was this season and next season will be Mills year to prove he’s the Texans future. TT will sign elsewhere next season and the Texans will find an inexpensive veteran QB2.

NC doesn’t have to admit anything in regards to Mills. He was a 3rd round pick. If he were a 1st or 2nd I could see your point.

If Baker can’t get it together in Cleveland…..why would any of us think he’d suddenly come around to his Oklahoma potential in Houston?
He doesn't have to "come around" he just needs to throw a few balls, take a few hits, follow the company line. He's a place holder.

NC doesn’t have to admit anything in regards to Mills. He was a 3rd round pick. If he were a 1st or 2nd I could see your point.

That part of it will always be in the discussion, whether intentional or not. He was our first pick in the draft, regardless of which round it was, and that's how a lot of people think about it. "He was our first pick in the draft" is not how I think about it, it's "he's a 3rd round pick" is how I think about it so I don't have all the troubles with Mills that others do.

That part of it will always be in the discussion, whether intentional or not. He was our first pick in the draft, regardless of which round it was, and that's how a lot of people think about it. "He was our first pick in the draft" is not how I think about it, it's "he's a 3rd round pick" is how I think about it so I don't have all the troubles with Mills that others do.
I have a problem with a project QB being drafted in the high third round, especially on a team that needs to find a starters at so many other positions.

When a team already has an established QB and a solid line-up; that's when it's OK.

I have a problem with a project QB being drafted in the high third round, especially on a team that needs to find a starters at so many other positions.

When a team already has an established QB and a solid line-up; that's when it's OK.

The Texans starter was Taylor, known for getting injured, and he's already out on his 2nd injury of the season. They brought in two backups with experience and drafted a QB in the 3rd round. One of those backups is already gone, and Mills seems to be ahead of Driskell in the coaches minds. Would you rather have Driskell starting now, or Mills?

The Texans starter was Taylor, known for getting injured, and he's already out on his 2nd injury of the season. They brought in two backups with experience and drafted a QB in the 3rd round. One of those backups is already gone, and Mills seems to be ahead of Driskell in the coaches minds. Would you rather have Driskell starting now, or Mills?
I had already elaborated on this issue several times.
None of my scenarios included Driskel, Finley, nor Mills.

meh.....it's not as if they're going to win any more games this season anyway, with any QB. Might as well throw Mills to the wolves and see how he survives. If he survives. LOL

So the next question is if Mills totally flakes out do they try out Driskell or put Taylor back in? They're already folding the tents up for next season anyway.

As I see it, the only way to get a spark is for the OC call plays with high risk high reward and let the chips fall where they will.

View attachment 9406
This is the week to throw it deep. Seattle's pass rush is bottom in NFL last I checked, and same with their pass defense. Huck it up and let Nico get some jump balls and if Cooks is playing he can get open deep. We won't have consistent drives, so chuck and pray

This is the week to throw it deep. Seattle's pass rush is bottom in NFL last I checked,
Normally I would agree. Look at the other team, identify their weakness & imagine we can exploit it.

But the Titans rush defense is 2nd worse in the league. We went from avg 2.6 ypc to 3.0 ypc.

So I'm going to guess we'll avg 9 ypa. May even eclipse 180 yards total offense. I doubt our defense can keep up.

Normally I would agree. Look at the other team, identify their weakness & imagine we can exploit it.

But the Titans rush defense is 2nd worse in the league. We went from avg 2.6 ypc to 3.0 ypc.

So I'm going to guess we'll avg 9 ypa. May even eclipse 180 yards total offense. I doubt our defense can keep up.
I didn't say it would work, but we won't run against their LB's, so chuck and pray baby

NFL.com has Davis Mills dead last amoun... sorry, I read that wrong. Zack Wilson is dead last among rookie QBs.

QB Rankings

Rank
NR
Davis Mills

Davis Mills
Houston Texans · Rookie
2021 stats: 9 games | 65.8 pct | 1,737 pass yds | 6.4 ypa | 8 pass TD | 8 INT | 27 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 4 fumbles

We are reaching the point of the season -- over 300 dropbacks for Mills -- where it's OK to admit he's looked as good as or better than Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson. Mills' highs have weirdly been higher, including the start against the Patriots in Week 5 and the first half of last week's Seahawks game, where he started 14-of-14 for 150 yards, including many downfield throws. Mills vs. Lawrence for AFC South rookie quarterback supremacy arrives Sunday.

Mills > Lawrence

Texans win

The NFL site has Mills ranked 30 out of 32 starting QBs, with Lawrence at 29. But they had this to say about him:

We are reaching the point of the season -- over 300 dropbacks for Mills -- where it's OK to admit he's looked as good as or better than Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson. Mills' highs have weirdly been higher, including the start against the Patriots in Week 5 and the first half of last week's Seahawks game, where he started 14-of-14 for 150 yards, including many downfield throws. Mills vs. Lawrence for AFC South rookie quarterback supremacy arrives Sunday.

MANY passes DOWNFIELD?

I only saw one that went to Collins at 18yd out and the receiver gained another 12.

Did I miss something?
You should probably write to the author of the article & explain to him what “downfield” & “many” mean.
The beginning of the sentence was referring as well to the Pats game. I would suggest that the quote in question was in reference to both games.

Back