Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills is a poor man's...

BigBen

Practice Squad
Everyone wants to debate his ceiling and honestly I see Tannehill is where he will land. I wonder if that is good enough?

BigBen

Practice Squad
He has been one of the few bright spots this year. We won't be drafting a QB this year so I don't mind watching his progress next year. Way to early to say if he can be the future started or just a good backup. There are other reasons I won't get fully invested in the franchise but I am still a fan and I'm more than happy to give credit where credit is due. He has had a successful rookie season!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want to see what Mills can do with a run game and being well protected before I can begin to pass judgement on his play. Right now I'm glad that he's a smart QB (Well advanced seeing how little he's played, Thanks Pep) who has an above avg arm and throws with accuracy/anticipation.

Right now I would say his floor is Dalton

His ceiling is Rivers.

Jack Burton

Veteran
I want to see what Mills can do with a run game and being well protected before I can begin to pass judgement on his play. Right now I'm glad that he's a smart QB (Well advanced seeing how little he's played, Thanks Pep) who has an above avg arm and throws with accuracy/anticipation.

Right now I would say his floor is Dalton

His ceiling is Rivers.
THIS.
I see Phillip Rivers without the picks hopefully.
And I’m good with that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Everyone wants to debate his ceiling and honestly I see Tannehill is where he will land. I wonder if that is good enough?
Welcome to the board and I hope you take this the way I mean it but I really hope the picture is not you? I believe DM has improved significantly last part of season and I look forward to more. It would be a concern if Pep takes a job elsewhere.

THIS.
I see Phillip Rivers without the picks hopefully.
And I’m good with that.
Mills has had quite a few passes this year that should have been picks. I'm not trying to knock Mills or anything, he out played my expectations by a country mile. however, the truth is the truth, and at the end of the day Rivers is one of the most underrated QBs in my life time.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Jack Burton

Veteran
Mills has had quite a few passes this year that should have been picks. I'm not trying to knock Mills or anything, he out played my expectations by a country mile. however, the truth is the truth, and at the end of the day Rivers is one of the most underrated QBs in my life time.

Well, we will see. He has all the physical and downfield ability Rivers had.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Welcome to the board.

Mills did have quite a few passes that could have and should have been picked.

But here's the deal...

Most quarterbacks do. Think about all the games you've watched (I'm assuming here that you've watched a lot of games) where our defense should have or could have had a pick. Every QB I've ever watched has had those almost picks, bad QBs, good QBs, great QBs, all of them.

Personally, I'm not going to count "almost picked off" as a thing until they turn into actually being picked off.

vtech9

All Pro
I don't really know how this forum works, so if I'm responding to a bot forgive me guys haha, but yeah I found this place recently and I'm trying to move away from the Texans subreddit which has gotten a bit toxic recently.

Welcome aboard. Most of these guys have been members since the beginning. A lot of us started on the original Texans message boards, and moved here when that went south.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
since I think Tannehill has developed himself into the bottom part of the very good 10 to 12 QBs, I would be excited as a Texans fan. I think closer to 15 to 18 that you can start, but not really win with. downside in probably back-up with unrealized potential that never really develops.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If I'm grading him on a curve this time next season, it's time to move on.
I want to agree with you ,but I might not depending on what kind of talent we put around him in 22. I fully expect to be swapping out the entire coaching staff at this point next year. One of the coaches they hire in '23 will likely be a qb whisperer to salvage him.

If they cut Kelly now I won't be upset because Pep is still here for continuity.

The entire focus this off-season (at least high picks and key free agents) should be amping up the offense. Better protection. Better run game. If Mills doesn't pan out you have those pieces in place for the next young qb.

As for a comparison? Matt Hasselback keeps coming to mind for me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't really know how this forum works, so if I'm responding to a bot forgive me guys haha, but yeah I found this place recently and I'm trying to move away from the Texans subreddit which has gotten a bit toxic recently.

First thing you need to do is buy a jersey from swtbound
A former member who ripped off other members by taking their money and failing to deliver jersey's

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

Bots are mainly quiet lurkers hereabout... a few trolls to navigate but mostly honest conversations of varying degrees of intelligence/wisdom/common sense

Draft a Qb!!!!!!! Not a believer........... sorry! PoliteSilkyKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

Noddle arm and............ he hold the ball too long. To the point that he is not functional as NFL QB. He gonna need an elite line to ever give us decent production.

Last edited:

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Well it's good enough for the best record in the AFC. I don't think his ceiling has been defined yet as he has demonstrated his ability to learn and improve - and he passes the eye test. I think by mid-season of year 2 he will show huge growth and be a middle of the pack QB. I'm more concerned with his floor, which I think is about Nick Foles.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
What do you think there chances are for making the Super Bowl? Is he good enough to get them there?
Not by himself. If he has Derrick Henry in peak form, maybe.
I'm surprised the Titans have the best record in the AFC because we beat them once and played them close the last game.
Just goes to show - Any Given Sunday.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Not by himself. If he has Derrick Henry in peak form, maybe
I meant “their” not “there”
I'm surprised the Titans have the best record in the AFC because we beat them once and played them close the last game.
Just goes to show - Any Given Sunday.
Or if we had a real HC & OC this team could have won more than 4 games.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
At the least he looks good enough to win with if the right pieces are around him.

I mean, I'm excited about his potential...he looked pretty good against some good teams with Kelly as OC, Culley as HC, a bad running game, I don't even know who the TE is or what's going on with the OL..and a WR group that could use some work...

Not much was going in his favor and he still had some good showings.

I said in another thread I would draft a QB in the first four rounds still, but I probably wouldn't. I would try to bring tyrod or another journeyman vet as a back up. If there is some QB late in the draft that they like maybe take a guy late or udfa.

But basically, at this point Mills would be my guy until he proves he isn't. I'd probably fire Culley and try to retain Lovie even if that means promoting him to HC. But this team needs a real offense.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I said in another thread I would draft a QB in the first four rounds still, but I probably wouldn't.
I'm still stuck on "prototypical"

I know it's a new NFL & the game has changed. But I'm going to have a hard time getting behind a QB taken in the 1st round that isn't prototypical.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
At the least he looks good enough to win with if the right pieces are around him.

I mean, I'm excited about his potential...he looked pretty good against some good teams with Kelly as OC, Culley as HC, a bad running game, I don't even know who the TE is or what's going on with the OL..and a WR group that could use some work...

Not much was going in his favor and he still had some good showings.

I said in another thread I would draft a QB in the first four rounds still, but I probably wouldn't. I would try to bring tyrod or another journeyman vet as a back up. If there is some QB late in the draft that they like maybe take a guy late or udfa.

But basically, at this point Mills would be my guy until he proves he isn't. I'd probably fire Culley and try to retain Lovie even if that means promoting him to HC. But this team needs a real offense.
Agree with you except for this part. Lovie already had a run as a HC and he showed that it was his Peter Principle. He's a great DC and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I don't care if they fire Culley or not but I think that would be a moot issue if they got a real OC. Keep Lovie as DC, hire an offensive HC or hire an OC that is equal to Lovie on DC and just Culley around to motivate and inspire players, because almost every player through the years have said they love working with him, and I think alot of coaching issues would go away. Then its just a matter of putting talent on the field.

At that point you will really know what you have in Mills and if he is a Foles type QB that can win if the team around him is good or a Brady type QB who makes the team around him good or a Leaf type QB who isn't winning no matter who you put around him.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Lovie already had a run as a HC and he showed that it was his Peter Principle.
I hope, if they are looking for another HC, they would talk to Lovie & find out what's going on in his head now.

There were some saying he wouldn't do well here because he didn't do well at Illinois, specifically that Illinois' defense was so bad.

I'm not saying I want Lovie to be our HC. But his work in Tampa & Chicago shouldn't close the door on him.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I hope, if they are looking for another HC, they would talk to Lovie & find out what's going on in his head now.

There were some saying he wouldn't do well here because he didn't do well at Illinois, specifically that Illinois' defense was so bad.

I'm not saying I want Lovie to be our HC. But his work in Tampa & Chicago shouldn't close the door on him.
I get it but at the same time why mess with a good thing? I don’t think Lovie would really go any where if he is kept as DC because teams weren’t exactly knocking his door down. Give him an interview and see what he says, he has the advantage of already being there, but my first question would be who are you bringing in as OC and how involved do you plan to be in the offense?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I want to see what he looks like with a solid offensive line and an actual running game. Those have got to be Caserio's priorities on offense this off-season.

I saw enough potential to let him compete for the job in 2022. Hopefully they don't lose Pep and they let Kelly go.

Jack Burton

Veteran
We all should know consistency is something Mills needs to work on.

I don't even count the 4 picks he threw in the rain, so I'm happy with his TD to INT ratio. If I'm grading him on a curve this time next season, it's time to move on.
Agreed. And the great thing is, if he doesn’t pan out by then they will be moving into a much better QB class to get one.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I saw enough potential to let him compete for the job in 2022. Hopefully they don't lose Pep and they let Kelly go.
I think the Texans have put themselves into a spot where they are pretty much going to be forced to keep Kelly. Pep could very well be off to be OC elsewhere. The Texans could make Pep OC here, but why would he take that if McDaniels is going to be HC/OC soon?

And if they do lose Pep, what other OC would be willing to come here knowing the same, that the job will eventually be McDaniels?

Man this organization is a total clusterfuck.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Matt Schaub/Kirk Cousins . If anyone thinks you can beat the top tier qbs with those guys, be my guest. You'll never be able to build a perfect team to beat those guys. They gotta at least have the right coaching staff to give anyone a chance.

Matt Schaub/Kirk Cousins . If anyone thinks you can beat the top tier qbs with those guys, be my guest. You'll never be able to build a perfect team to beat those guys. They gotta at least have the right coaching staff to give anyone a chance.
That's kinda my worst fear with Mills. He plays next year shows he isn't "it"? Whatever, we are rebuilding anyway and can look around in the draft for one.

Shows he can play in the NFL, but isn't top tier? I doubt the Texans can break away from the "keep him around, quit looking" mindset