Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

76Texan

Hall of Fame
This is where you are misunderstanding. Nobody has said they want Mills to lead the Texans to a Super Bowl. They would be happy if it happened, but not what they said. They are saying they would rather have Mills play this next season, so the team will be bad enough to be able to get one of the QB's in the 2024 draft that are considered better than any QB available in this draft. They are saying they want one of the 2024 draft class QB's to take us to the Super Bowl, and just want Mills to hold us over until that draft.
You might be talking for yourself.

From my view point; if one wants to draft a QB in 2024, one couldn't care less who the QB is going to be in 2023, let alone defending Mills.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There are some women in these fora too.
We don't see a lot of them as the discussion can get a little aggressive at at times.
I haven't seen TexansChick for the longest of time.

And she did not give any indication that she wants to spend time on here like she used to.

We also had a few youngsters, but now they're gone too.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
You might be talking for yourself.

From my view point; if one wants to draft a QB in 2024, one couldn't care less who the QB is going to be in 2023, let alone defending Mills.
No one is defending Mills. He is already on the team, under contract, familiar to the organization and won't cost any draft capital or FA money. If one doesn't care who the QB is, why do you care that it would be Mills?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No one is defending Mills. He is already on the team, under contract, familiar to the organization and won't cost any draft capital or FA money. If one doesn't care who the QB is, why do you care that it would be Mills?
Who? :brando:

Just kidding.

I said last year that I wouldn't mind drafting Kenny Pickett with the second pick (instead of Green).

Before the season, most of the pundits had the Steelers in the bottom tier with no chance to make the playoffs.

But they almost did.

You want a guy that at least give the team a pulse.

I really don't want to berate Mills.

But the important thing is you want the best team you can have.

I believe in finding the best option each and every year.

I don't like tanking.
I hate watching bad football.

That's all.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
What was your opinion of Tua before Hill/Waddle were brought in? Be honest.

Yes I LOL at you, any old QB will do for you.

Your the guy who is at the club at 2 am and picks up the fat girl. Why? Because all of the girls look prettier at closing time.
My opinion of Tua is the same as it was before he was drafted. Fragile. It's proven itself out.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I said last year that I wouldn't mind drafting Kenny Pickett with the second pick (instead of Green).

Before the season, most of the pundits had the Steelers in the bottom tier with no chance to make the playoffs.
I wish we had one of those teams with an identity. A solid foundation to drop a rookie QB into.

Instead, we’ve fired 3 HCs in 3 years.

I know, let’s draft a QB to fix that problem.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Christ almighty all this continual fuss over Mills. More than likely he'll be someone's backup this coming season, so that'll settle that. And in the unlikely chance they intend to keep him as the starter and get a QB next year, he'll supposedly have much better coaching now. So maybe he'll improve from "not a starter" to an "almost mediocre starter". Which would be an improvement and should make everyone content unless you're one of those who love one of the QBs coming out this year.

But I wouldn't put any money on Mills starting next season. Maybe as a bridge for the new shiny QB they draft or something.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Christ almighty all this continual fuss over Mills. More than likely he'll be someone's backup this coming season, so that'll settle that. And in the unlikely chance they intend to keep him as the starter and get a QB next year, he'll supposedly have much better coaching now. So maybe he'll improve from "not a starter" to an "almost mediocre starter". Which would be an improvement and should make everyone content unless you're one of those who love one of the QBs coming out this year.

But I wouldn't put any money on Mills starting next season. Maybe as a bridge for the new shiny QB they draft or something.
I don't see anyone saying Mills will be the "guy" at all. I see people saying they would rather see Mills start over a rookie (me!) and be the bridge QB you mentioned.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I’m good with that. But I don’t want to spend any money on him. For the money I want to spend, Davis may win the job in TC anyway
What is Driskell's contract?
You could try and bring in another cheap vet but he would have to learn the calls, etc, but anyone better that Driskell would be nice to challenge and push Mills unless of course, the rookie looks good to go.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If Mills bears him, then all good. I’ll start him until the rookie is ready. Mills imo just doesn’t have that it factor.
Do you really want to win 7-8 games next year?

Do you really want to start the clock by drafting a QB in this draft?

I don't, think long term rather than short term. Unfortunately the McNair's have always thought short term and that's why the franchise is where it's at today.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Do you really want to win 7-8 games next year?

Do you really want to start the clock by drafting a QB in this draft?

I don't, think long term rather than short term. Unfortunately the McNair's have always thought short term and that's why the franchise is where it's at today.
What’s up with you select few fans who doesn’t want to see this team win?
You’re not going to sway me to think like you. So for the millionth time, I’m drafting a quarterback now. I’m not waiting until freaking 2024 to draft a quarterback.

Last edited:

michaelm

vox nihili
What is Driskell's contract?
You could try and bring in another cheap vet but he would have to learn the calls, etc, but anyone better that Driskell would be nice to challenge and push Mills unless of course, the rookie looks good to go.
Both Driskell and Allen are UFA. Mills is the only QB currently under contract.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Why would we spend on a QB at the top of the draft and spend in FA to bring in a vet if they are just a placeholder? None of the names being mentioned, outside of Jimmy G who has been to a Super Bowl but will cost a ridiculous amount of money, are going to be able to mentor the 1:2 pick. And he definitely would not come here knowing he's a short term option, potentially not even for a full year. Just use the FA money to build up all the other talent holes on this team and run Mills out there until the rook is ready, if they aren't already established as QB1 by the first game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What’s up with you select free fans who doesn’t want to see this team win?
You’re not going to sway me to think like you. So for the millionth time, I’m drafting a quarterback now. I’m not waiting until freaking 2024 to draft a quarterback.
It's the bigger picture vs the impatient picture.

The impatient picture is why the franchise is where it's at today. A solid foundation needs to be built then add the QB, unless there's a generational QB in this draft. There's not. IMHO

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm all for bringing in a vet to compete in TC. Let the best man win. The only two I really like are Jimmy G and Brissett.
Almost every NFL team will have (3) QB's on the roster. Ryans and Slowick (eventually) will be ushering in a 49'ers type of WCO. Mills will be with the Texans for 2023. A veteran will be needed to help the rookie and Mills transition to the new WCO. I only see the veteran QB as a bridge and mentor....even if they get the QB1 spot from Day 1. Garoppolo will not be on a lot of teams radars, just for the reason mentioned, his injury history. The Texans and Ryans/Slowick could probably get him in the door for an affordable contract. I don't see any team that's going to pay him 25M+ a season or give him a long term contract. Jimmy G's future is in short term contracts that are team friendly. Texans should sign him if the price is right. Draft Hooker and let him learn the offense with Garoppolo in the room and I think Hooker and Mills could manage just fine.

Both Driskell and Allen are UFA. Mills is the only QB currently under contract.
Remember the folks on here that thought starting Allen would make the Texans more competitive and possibly bring them more wins? But then he bombed so badly that he was on the bench after 2 games? Yep, the roster was so bad that Allen, a former starter with 17 career starts under his belt, looked like total ass.

Surely, we have to bring in better competition than him. But we can't expect miracles until we put the pieces and scheme in place to allow whoever the QB is to succeed.

Last edited:
Why would we spend on a QB at the top of the draft and spend in FA to bring in a vet if they are just a placeholder? None of the names being mentioned, outside of Jimmy G who has been to a Super Bowl but will cost a ridiculous amount of money, are going to be able to mentor the 1:2 pick. And he definitely would not come here knowing he's a short term option, potentially not even for a full year. Just use the FA money to build up all the other talent holes on this team and run Mills out there until the rook is ready, if they aren't already established as QB1 by the first game.
Exactly. All this talk about Carr and Garoppolo is idiocy IMO. Expensive and not that much better than what you already have. Either draft a QB @ 1:2 and have Mills play placeholder until that guy overtakes him (shouldn't be long for a high lottery player), or draft a developmental guy like Hooker or Richardson and let Mills and lower-priced comeptition aka Jacoby Brisett duke it out for placeholder status. If we end up winning 3 or 4 games again, you'll have another kick at the high lottery. If you win something like 8 or 9 games surprinsingly, you may have a 'good' problem on your hands. Still have a bunch of picks to trade up if QB is holding you back.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Remember the folks on here that thought starting Allen would make the Texans more competitive and possibly bring them more wins? But then he bombed so badly that he was on the bench after 2 games? Yep, the roster was so bad that Allen, a former starter with 17 starts under his belt, looked like total ass.

Surely, we have to bring in better competition than him. But we can't expect miracles until we put the pieces in to allow whoever the QB is to succeed.
Don't forget coaching and scheme. They make a tremendous difference, especially at QB.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I'd take Rush or White over Mills EASILY - and yes I've seen them play significant snaps. It's not even close to me. Either of those is a legit #2 who can start if necessary and not embarrass you. Mills is an insurance salesman masquerading as an NFL player. I guess we just see it totally differently - no problemo it's all good.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'd take Rush or White over Mills EASILY - and yes I've seen them play significant snaps. It's not even close to me. Either of those is a legit #2 who can start if necessary and not embarrass you. Mills is an insurance salesman masquerading as an NFL player. I guess we just see it totally differently - no problemo it's all good.
Mills was also coached by insurance salesmen masquerading as NFL coordinators.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What’s up with you select few fans who doesn’t want to see this team win?
I agree with steelbtexan on this one. It's not that I don't want to see this team win, I'm just tired of building paper tigers.
I'm not even set on drafting a QB in 2024. I'd there's a guy there that I love, of course I'll draft him. Even if he's in this draft.

But I'm more concerned with building a team that could win with Brock Purdy, than finding the next Joey Harrington.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't see any team that's going to pay him 25M+ a season or give him a long term contract. Jimmy G's future is in short term contracts that are team friendly.
He'll most likely take a one year prove it deal with a team that is going to win more than 8 games.

He won't be interested in what DeMeco is selling.

Xopher

Rookie
Daniel Jones sucked. I mean SUCKED. He got a healthy Barkley and much, much better coaching this year and turned out to be pretty damn good. The Giants wish they would have picked up his 5th year now. Mills looked pretty good the last part of his rookie season. Then some days looked like he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this season. I'm going to go with whatever the coaching staff says. If they think Mills has it and want to roll with him, great. I think there are at least 3 QBs in the next draft that are better than any QB in this one and the Texans have the draft capital to move up. Someone tell Cal to sit down and shut up. If they say Mills, fine. If the COACHES want to draft a QB at the top of this draft, fine.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Davis Mills will be the Texans starting QB for the next two years-minimum.

Probably longer.

Eat your heart out haters. :D

I'll try to attend the last tailgate next season with a smoker full of bbq crow for all the haters.

Hope they like Tex Joy rub and my doctored up Cattleman's BBQ sauce.

Couple of you are required to come back for seconds.

:coffee:
This is the Playa Haters Ball. I hope all the bad things in life happen to Mills and only to Mills. Hate, hate, hate, hate...

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Daniel Jones sucked. I mean SUCKED. He got a healthy Barkley and much, much better coaching this year and turned out to be pretty damn good. The Giants wish they would have picked up his 5th year now. Mills looked pretty good the last part of his rookie season. Then some days looked like he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn this season. I'm going to go with whatever the coaching staff says. If they think Mills has it and want to roll with him, great. I think there are at least 3 QBs in the next draft that are better than any QB in this one and the Texans have the draft capital to move up. Someone tell Cal to sit down and shut up. If they say Mills, fine. If the COACHES want to draft a QB at the top of this draft, fine.
I'd feel better about a Daniel Jones type transformation if Mills consistently made good decisions last year.

The inaccuracies & lack of it factor would be easier to swallow if he would have just made good decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about drafting a QB. But my focus for QB next season is teaching them to stay in their lane & make good decisions.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I agree with steelbtexan on this one. It's not that I don't want to see this team win, I'm just tired of building paper tigers.

I'm not even set on drafting a QB in 2024. I'd there's a guy there that I love, of course I'll draft him. Even if he's in this draft.

But I'm more concerned with building a team that could win with Brock Purdy, than finding the next Joey Harrington.
We’re dealing with a new and different regime. Like I said before, let’s let them work. Coach Ryans specifically said he wants to build a winning team that the fans can be proud of. Therefore, I believe him and Caserio will work together along with the rest of their staff to make that happen.

banned1976

sleeper mode
We’re dealing with a new and different regime. Like I said before, let’s let them work. Coach Ryans specifically said he wants to build a winning team that the fans can be proud of. Therefore, I believe him and Caserio will work together along with the rest of their staff to make that happen.
1.2, or 1.1 because I wouldn't exclude a trade up, I think is going to be telling. I worry about them drafting Levis. Another April Fools joke by the Texans to their fans. When is someone going to tell them April Fools doesn't last all of April?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That’s what I said.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
1.2, or 1.1 because I wouldn't exclude a trade up, I think is going to be telling. I worry about them drafting Levis. Another April Fools joke by the Texans to their fans. When is someone going to tell them April Fools doesn't last all of April?
Do you remember which QB was considered most ready for the NFL in the 2017 draft & which 1st round QB was considered the biggest “project”?

Reactions: JB