Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

JRingo

Rookie
It would shock no one if Mills was better under the current staff. Thrive? Like in, win most of your games? I don't see that even if Mills were coached by the late Bill Walsh.
I don’t see them being in win mode until after next years draft. I would like to see a veteran signed to start that he and whoever we select could learn under. If Garoppolo were to come in here he probably wouldn’t be healthy an entire year so you’d probably need a competent #2. Hopefully Mills could learn and hone his skills and decision making. I still see some talent in him realizing many don’t..

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I don’t see them being in win mode until after next years draft.
I don't see a winning record for the Texans in 2023. But I don't see the Texans trotting out Davis Mills as their starting QB, either. Unless there is an injury to the guy(s) in front of him. Is there "talent" in Davis Mills? I don't think anyone makes an NFL roster without some talent. Ryan Fitzpatrick played in the league for a million years, it seems. No one ever thought he was the final answer to their QB question.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I don’t see them being in win mode until after next years draft. I would like to see a veteran signed to start that he and whoever we select could learn under. If Garoppolo were to come in here he probably wouldn’t be healthy an entire year so you’d probably need a competent #2. Hopefully Mills could learn and hone his skills and decision making. I still see some talent in him realizing many don’t..
D. Ryans didn’t sign up for them not to be in win mode. He wants his team to win.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
D. Ryans didn’t sign up for them not to be in win mode. He wants his team to win.
Absolutely. DeMeco will not tolerate a loosing culture. We won't be seeing another 3 or 4 win season as long as DeMeco is here. How many more actual wins DeMeco translates into I'll wait on that prediction until after free agency and the draft. But I guarantee you in the 2024 draft we won't be drafting before pick 8 or 9, unless it's Cleveland's pick.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I don't see a winning record for the Texans in 2023. But I don't see the Texans trotting out Davis Mills as their starting QB, either. Unless there is an injury to the guy(s) in front of him. Is there "talent" in Davis Mills? I don't think anyone makes an NFL roster without some talent. Ryan Fitzpatrick played in the league for a million years, it seems. No one ever thought he was the final answer to their QB question.
We will have a much clearer picture after FA and the draft.
Myself, I am quietly optimistic.
We have a lot more going for us this go round.
I feel anything less than 8 wins will be a disappointment.

JRingo

Rookie
Absolutely. DeMeco will not tolerate a loosing culture. We won't be seeing another 3 or 4 win season as long as DeMeco is here. How many more actual wins DeMeco translates into I'll wait on that prediction until after free agency and the draft. But I guarantee you in the 2024 draft we won't be drafting before pick 8 or 9, unless it's Cleveland's pick.
Hope you and baller are right. Ryan’s has been impressive thus far. Can’t wait to see what he does in f/a and the draft.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
We will have a much clearer picture after FA and the draft.
Myself, I am quietly optimistic.
We have a lot more going for us this go round.
I feel anything less than 8 wins will be a disappointment.
I can't imagine when you're openly optimistic. :)

I think going from 3-4 to 6-7 is already a big jump, not to mention how the Texans had one of the worse offenses and defenses last year.

Getting to 8 is another big jump.
But I like that you set the bar high like that.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
I think it's possible because we're going to have an infusion of talent and likely better cozchjng.

We lost a lot of close games last year.

With better coaching and some better talent, those close losses turn into wins.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see a see 7-9 win team. Especially because I think the AFC South is not a great division. Do I *expect* it? No of course not.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I can't imagine when you're openly optimistic. :)

I think going from 3-4 to 6-7 is already a big jump, not to mention how the Texans had one of the worse offenses and defenses last year.

Getting to 8 is another big jump.
But I like that you set the bar high like that.
It's the intangibles - you just get that feeling! 😄

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Hell yea, you want Texans optimism I truly believe they will be above .500 maybe even more like this coming season. In 17 games 9 to win. Welcome to the playoffs in a weak division. If I'm wrong what are they going to do take my birthday away lol.
If the team responds to Ryan's and co, and the new system works for them, and they manage to nab a couple of very good players, I can see it.
In my optimistic minds eye...

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We lost a lot of close games last year.
Biggest problem Texans had last season was they couldn’t finish. If games were 2 or 2.5 quarters long we’d have won more.

if we were running it back in 2023 with an upgrade here and an upgrade there, I could see that amount of optimism.

But new coaches, schemes, I’m expecting a more drastic roster turnover than we’ve seen the last two seasons & you throw in a rookie QB, or the economic FAs…. Not looking good for 2023

Texansballer74

The Marine
Biggest problem Texans had last season was they couldn’t finish. If games were 2 or 2.5 quarters long we’d have won more.

if we were running it back in 2023 with an upgrade here and an upgrade there, I could see that amount of optimism.

But new coaches, schemes, I’m expecting a more drastic roster turnover than we’ve seen the last two seasons & you throw in a rookie QB, or the economic FAs…. Not looking good for 2023
Teams are not going to have film on the new rookie quarterback. We’ve seen rookie quarterbacks thrive in their first year as well. So in this division (the weakest in the entire NFL) running the WCO could easily win this division. So IMO it’s not looking too bad. Gotta see some on the field action before truly determining what it will be like.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Teams are not going to have film on the new rookie quarterback. We’ve seen rookie quarterbacks thrive in their first year as well. So in this division (the weakest in the entire NFL) running the WCO could easily win this division. So IMO it’s not looking too bad. Gotta see some on the field action before truly determining what it will be like.

Could.

My main point is we have nothing to base high optimism on. Rookie QB was only one of the factors working against this team that I named & there are several more. Regardless what the team "did" last year, basing improvement on that alone, which the post I was responding to, has little merit.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The whole division will be running the WCO.
Can you believe that?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Could.

My main point is we have nothing to base high optimism on. Rookie QB was only one of the factors working against this team that I named & there are several more. Regardless what the team "did" last year, basing improvement on that alone, which the post I was responding to, has little merit.
Watson won half of the games he started as a rookie with O'Brien as the HC.

It could happen.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Considering that you thought lat years team was a 10-12 win team I feel much more optimistic now
2023 Texans will be dealing with things 2022 Texans won't. There should have been enough carry over from 2021 to get the Texans over 4 wins.

I don't remember predicting 10-12 wins last season though. I might have talked about a playoff spot, but that was more about a bad division

Veracity

Practice Squad
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and joined because I was a Stanford season ticket holder when Davis Mills played for that school. My observation back then was that he had enough skill (s) to be a legitimate NFL QB. Specifically, I liked his throwing mechanics and accuracy. For the Texans I've watched him play a few games, and have seen his play in some highlight videos, but that's about it.
My guess is that most Texans fans would characterize his play this far as "up and down".
What has the new head coach said regarding Mills ?
Is it possible the Texans will use their upcoming 2023 top draft pick(s) on other positions and give Mills the 2023 season to show what he can do ?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and joined because I was a Stanford season ticket holder when Davis Mills played for that school. My observation back then was that he had enough skill (s) to be a legitimate NFL QB. Specifically, I liked his throwing mechanics and accuracy. For the Texans I've watched him play a few games, and have seen his play in some highlight videos, but that's about it.
My guess is that most Texans fans would characterize his play this far as "up and down".
Is it possible the Texans will use their upcoming 2023 top draft pick(s) on other positions and give Mills the 2023 season to show what he can do ?
DeMeco has wisely skirted conversations about any quarterback, whether in the upcoming draft or who is already on the Texans roster. And he may not even know, yet, what he wants to do other than what they've already done, which is add Keenum.

I don't think we're going to know how the Texans really feel about Mills until April 27th. I have my thoughts on it. I think they draft a quarterback, start Mills and supplant him with the rookie sometime in the middle of the season, unless of course Mills has an incredible season going on.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
This is going to be an interesting season if there are still people waiting around for Davis Mills to "appear". They will fit right in with the folks who want to see Case Keenum suddenly become the guy they always knew he could be if just the right set of circumstances would come together.

Do we have any Tom Savage fans in the audience? Come on! Stand up and let us know how you feel!

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
This is going to an interesting season if there are still people waiting around for Davis Mills to "appear". They will fit right in with the folks who want to see Case Keenum suddenly become the guy they always knew he could be if just the right set of circumstances would come together.

Do we have any Tom Savage fans in the audience? Come on! Stand up and let us know how you feel!
Dude.

Do not besmirch the name of Tom MotherEffing Savage.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
This is going to an interesting season if there are still people waiting around for Davis Mills to "appear". They will fit right in with the folks who want to see Case Keenum suddenly become the guy they always knew he could be if just the right set of circumstances would come together.

EJ Perry's Bandwagon will starting soon...get your tickets now

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
Hello All,

Mills the QB was given every opportunity to run with the starting job last season and regressed except for a couple of games or few moments. His next chance with the Texans will most likely be because of injury.

Porky

Hall of Fame
If anyone starts the season while the rookie gels a bit, it's Keenum not Mills IMHO. And honestly, both Young and Stroud are very pro-ready guys so I see them starting either week 1, or within the first qtr of the season. And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Mills is trash as a pro QB. I hear the XFL is hiring though.