Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yes, defense against the rush is really bad. That's the category I was referring to. But overall, it seems our defense is middle of the pack, ranking 16.

Overall, our offense is dead last.
Defense is only ranked 16th because the rushing defense is so bad (dead last by 25 yds/g) that the passing defense (14) and pts (18) make the total numbers appear better on the surface. Teams run so much and the defense can't get off the field giving the offense less time and possessions to suck. Texans are a bad bad football team

KarlK

Waterboy
This is where you don't come off as credible. The real answer is a mixture of both: Mills is sometimes missing reads or locking on primary read, but it's also the receivers not getting open consistently. I've seen at least 2 games where the color guy, an ex-NFL player, men being paid millions of dollars per year to express expert opinions of the game from the press box with a perfect vantage point, explicitly state that they weren't seeing WR getting open on the field. Many have noted this as well. Throw in a brutal interior OL, and the problems are collective issue.

You'll have more credibility when you're not 100% hate on for Mills are try being objective. And yes, Mills is a big contributor to these problems which is why I support him sitting. If this is wrong, and Mills is really the sole issue of the offense's problems, then Allen will be a material upgrade to the offense for the foreseeable future.
You're the last person on here that should be calling out someone's credibility. You've been a delusional Mills fanboy from the first moment i've had the displeasure of reading one of your posts. I assume your either have Stanford ties or you know Mills or someone in his family personally. Whatever your bias is, your attempts at passing Mills off as anything other than a low level NFL quarterback are laughable and unconvincing.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think Tua Tagovailova is Mike McDaniels guy. He's just the guy he has now.

He's Tannehill for Tennessee. Allows McDaniels to build & wait for his Mahomes/Roethlisberger/Rodgers to fall out of the top 10.

That, imo, is what Mills was supposed to be, & still can be.

wildroot

Rookie
We should have grabbed Tua when he was offered up as part of a pkg for you-know-who.

As it stands, I'd sign a veteran QB
for next year and keep Mills and see what develops. Trade down in next years draft and get as much as we can for the #1 pick. At a minimum it needs to be an early 2023 1st round and a 2024 1st round + whatever, maybe an established player.
Use 2023 draft to continue to beef up at WR, OL, and probably CB and LB. In 2024 take our QB and use our other 1st round pick (recieved for trading out of our #1 this year) and the rest of the draft to solidify this rebuild and be done with it.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We should have grabbed Tua when he was offered up as part of a pkg for you-know-who.

for next year and trade down in the next draft and get as much as I could for the #1 pick. At a minimum, an early 2023 1st round and a 2024 1st round. Use 2023 draft to continue to beef up at WR, OL, and probably CB and LB. In 2024 take our QB and use our other 1st round pick (recieved for trading out of our #1 this year) and the rest of the draft to solidify this rebuild.
Tua’s turnaround is due to the HC, OC, and mostly to WR- Tyreek Hill. Sadly, the Texans and Mills/Allen have none of these.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

for next year and keep Mills and see what develops. Trade down in next years draft and get as much as we can for the #1 pick. At a minimum it needs to be an early 2023 1st round and a 2024 1st round + whatever, maybe an established player.
Use 2023 draft to continue to beef up at WR, OL, and probably CB and LB. In 2024 take our QB and use our other 1st round pick (recieved for trading out of our #1 this year) and the rest of the draft to solidify this rebuild and be done with it.
I agree with OptimisticTexan Mills is just as talented as Tua, Mac Jones, & Daniel Jones. What we need are coaches who can install & coordinate systems.

that’s not to say any of those guys are franchise caliber QBs. But they are excellent bridge QBs, or can be.

Unless the QB you bring in is the next Mahomes or Brady, you’re better off sticking with Tagovailoa/Daniel or Mac Jones.

Seeing a lot of skepticism on the top end QBs in the 2023 draft class all around the interwebs. I have to agree with this. The pre-season hype on Stroud/Young is starting to wane. This is a bad year to be drafting #1 overall and needing a QB. Going to be very interesting to see what Caserio does here. We're taking a QB 100%, but where??

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
What do you think of Daniel Jones now, compared to when he was drafted, or Tua?
No one is winning championships with Daniel Jones or Tua at starting QB. And they're both a hellava lot better than Davis Mills will ever be.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No one is winning championships with Daniel Jones or Tua at starting QB.
I'm sorry if that's what you got out of my post.

Do you think either team should have drafted Zach Wilson or Mac Jones, or Malik Willis in the 1st round? Would they be better now?

And they're both a hellava lot better than Davis Mills will ever be.
I'm just a Texans fan. All I got is hope. Hope that Davis gets his head out of his butt & become the game manager we need until we find our QB. I prefer that than the QB carousel to come if he's not.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I don't think Tua Tagovailova is Mike McDaniels guy. He's just the guy he has now.

He's Tannehill for Tennessee. Allows McDaniels to build & wait for his Mahomes/Roethlisberger/Rodgers to fall out of the top 10.

That, imo, is what Mills was supposed to be, & still can be.
I was unimpressed with Tua this past weekend other than his release, which I grant you is pretty quick but he's still got a noodle arm and his accuracy was dubious. And I can't recall WRs being that wide open since watching a recent college game, so wow talk about easy pickings.

I was unimpressed with Tua this past weekend other than his release, which I grant you is pretty quick but he's still got a noodle arm and his accuracy was dubious. And I can't recall WRs being that wide open since watching a recent college game, so wow talk about easy pickings.
Tua has a very weak arm by NFL standards and it's not strong enough to make all the NFL throws. Like Garoppolo, you'll notice that any intermediate to long throw usually travel in the middle of the field because its a shorter distance. These guys risk getting picked off trying to throw deep sideline outs to the WR for example, so that keep throws longer throws in the middle. However, Tua is quite accurate.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Mills has had time to sit back and process the game again. Expecting pro bowl level QB play for the stretch run!

Why does Lovie Smith give away the advantage this time around? :brando:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Why does Lovie Smith give away the advantage this time around? :brando:

I don’t know, but with the Cowboys pass rush I’m actually a little afraid for Mr. Mills.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Hey, just came back to say you were right, Mills sucks ass. Congrats 🎉👏
I take no pleasure.
I just hate that Nick Caserio wasn't able to use the pick to find a starter at another position.

A third round pick is not a spot for a developmental player, especially on a rebuilding team.

Mills is a good guy; he's just not special.

He's a good fit with the Niners (they run the WCO that Stanford does), they could have had Mills later in the second or early third.
But they didn't think Mills have a higher upside than Garropolo.
They could have had Mills developing behind Garropolo, but they rather risked it on Trey Lance.

I just blame it on Nick Caserio. He who knows or does not know whether any HC the Texans hire can bring about the results (meaning he has no idea what offensive system the HC / future HC is going to run), but he picked a QB as his first.
I don't see the vision in that.

Now if you tell me NC is such a good GM that he can influence the owners to hire a HC that would run the offensive system that he envisioned then he can take a flyer on a project like Mills.

But Nick Caserio didn't have that liberty and all he knew was Tom Brady.

He had no experience with rebuilding a team.

I do like Mills, but just not as the guy I want to go to war with when I asprise to win it all.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I take no pleasure.
I just hate that Nick Caserio wasn't able to use the pick to find a starter at another position.

A third round pick is not a spot for a developmental player, especially on a rebuilding team.

He's a good fit with the Niners (they run the WCO that Stanford does), they could have had Mills later in the second or early third.
They could have had Mills developing behind Garropolo, but they rather risked it on Trey Lance.

I just blame it on Nick Caserio. He who knows or does not know whether any HC the Texans hire can bring about the results (meaning he has no idea what offensive system the HC / future HC is going to run), but he picked a QB as his first.

Now if you tell me NC is such a good GM that he can influence the owners to hire a HC that would run the offensive system that he envisioned then he can take a flyer on a project like Mills.

I do like Mills, but just not as the guy I want to go to war with when I asprise to win it all.
Good post

Bottom line for me is are the Texans in a better place than they were a year and a half ago?

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I take no pleasure.

Let's not ignore the circumstances behind the pick. We were roughly 3-4 months into the Watson drama at the time of the draft with no indication he'd be back. Other '20 roster quarterbacks included Aj. McCarron and Josh McCown. Tyrod Taylor was signed mid March in 21 with an average history of performance and a litany of missed games due to injury.

In the draft, qb's Kyle Trask and Kellen Mond were picked directly ahead of the Texans bleeding the 2nd tier of qb talent dry. Apparently, even other nfl teams knew we needed a qb even if most hometown fans didn't.

Mills was picked at #67 and the next qb was selected at #133. I'd wager maybe that shows the talent gap.

I actually liked the pick. I didn't know Mills from a hill of beans ,but I did understand the need for new talent at the qb position. I thought it was a shrewd move and a strong hedge against whatever Watson did at the time.

Mills WAS a developmental pick. Every qb selected in the draft is a developmental pick. Maybe Pep didn't do him justice? We'll see. I think Mills can be a solid career backup. I don't fault them for taking a shot. Now it's time for another developmental pick.

Betting any rookie qb won't succeed really is an easy wager. It's not worth patting your own back over (not directed at you personally 76.) It’s just the law of averages. Take another shot, and another, and another until you find the right guy.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Unless it's a QB

Agreed. If he can't stop turning the ball over, I've got no use for him.
Did you see any chance that Mills can be better than Andrew Luck?

Did you imagine any chance that Mills can be close to Andrew Luck?

And I wasn't all that high on Luck.
I had said he was going to be a very good QB in the NFL, but I wasn't sure whether he or Wilson would have a better career.

Did you see any chance for Mills to be a top ten QB in the league for a few years?

If not, he shouldn't be drafted in the third.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Let's not ignore the circumstances behind the pick. We were roughly 3-4 months into the Watson drama at the time of the draft with no indication he'd be back. Other '20 roster quarterbacks included Aj. McCarron and Josh McCown. Tyrod Taylor was signed mid March in 21 with an average history of performance and a litany of missed games due to injury.

In the draft, qb's Kyle Trask and Kellen Mond were picked directly ahead of the Texans bleeding the 2nd tier of qb talent dry. Apparently, even other nfl teams knew we needed a qb even if most hometown fans didn't.

Mills was picked at #67 and the next qb was selected at #133. I'd wager maybe that shows the talent gap.

I actually liked the pick. I didn't know Mills from a hill of beans ,but I did understand the need for new talent at the qb position. I thought it was a shrewd move and a strong hedge against whatever Watson did at the time.

Mills WAS a developmental pick. Every qb selected in the draft is a developmental pick. Maybe Pep didn't do him justice? We'll see. I think Mills can be a solid career backup. I don't fault them for taking a shot. Now it's time for another developmental pick.

Betting any rookie qb won't succeed really is an easy wager. It's not worth patting your own back over (not directed at you personally 76.) It’s just the law of averages. Take another shot, and another, and another until you find the right guy.
If you already know a QB selected in the third round, especially one with no special trait, is a very long shot, then why would you think he deserves to be drafted in the third round when your team still needs good starter at other positions?

Where I may pat my back is when I said you're wasted a pick, with which you can find an Olineman or a Lineman that can help your team.

Mills is a backup QB, and they're dime a dozen.

You don't need to waste a third round pick for a backup QB.

powda

If you already know a QB selected in the third round, especially one with no special trait, is a very long shot, then why would you think he deserves to be drafted in the third round when your team still needs good starter at other positions?

Where I may pat my back is when I said you're wasted a pick, with which you can find an Olineman or a Lineman that can help your team.

Mills is a backup QB, and they're dime a dozen.

You don't need to waste a third round pick for a backup QB.

I'd struggle to say we find many starters in the 3rd round. Even the ones that do, wouldn't start for most teams.

This team needs a quarterback. Wouldn't you agree?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I'd struggle to say we find many starters in the 3rd round. Even the ones that do, wouldn't start for most teams.

And exactly why I said from the very start that Mills isn't it.
You're just wasting time with him under center.

You need a veteran gap QB so you can evaluate other players.

This way, the way that you agreed with Nick Caserio to let Mills have the reign, does not help you to evaluate which younger guy(s) are worth to keep.

You're not doing your team a service.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Good post

Bottom line for me is are the Texans in a better place than they were a year and a half ago?
Supposedly so.
With the extra picks and more cap space.

It doesn't show up on the scoreboard though.

I wasn't convinced with the Green's pick.
I don't like him in that spot.
And he was not too good when he was healthy.
I chalked it up as he was a rookie.
He was "less bad" than later on when he got injured.
Green was nothing to write home about early in the season, not worth the spot he was picked at.

I remembered when I watched Brandon Brooks' tapes, that I Iiked it a lot.
Such a big guy and he can get to the second level.
And what round was he drafted in?

powda

And exactly why I said from the very start that Mills isn't it.
You're just wasting time with him under center.

You need a veteran gap QB so you can evaluate other players.

This way, the way that you agreed with Nick Caserio to let Mills have the reign, does not help you to evaluate which younger guy(s) are worth to keep.

You're not doing your team a service.

I think he showed enough in late 21 to get more playing time. I don't think he showed enough for us to ignore the qb position in that draft or free agency (22.)

If you want a winning team, you have to have a qb. More free agent journeymen like Tyrod Taylor aren't going to do it.

What's your plan for qb in 2023?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Supposedly so.
With the extra picks and more cap space.

It doesn't show up on the scoreboard though.

I wasn't convinced with the Green's pick.
I don't like him in that spot.
And he was not too good when he was healthy.
I chalked it up as he was a rookie.
He was "less bad" than later on when he got injured.
Green was nothing to write home about early in the season, not worth the spot he was picked at.

I remembered when I watched Brandon Brooks' tapes, that I Iiked it a lot.
Such a big guy and he can get to the second level.
And what round was he drafted in?
It shouldn't with no way to add quality FA's and subpar coaching/QB play and no real playmakers at the skill positions.

You're a PFF guy, I'm not, but go checkout Greens pff grades for the 1st three weeks of the season. He got hurt in game 5.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Did you see any chance that Mills can be better than Andrew Luck?

Did you imagine any chance that Mills can be close to Andrew Luck?

And I wasn't all that high on Luck.
I had said he was going to be a very good QB in the NFL, but I wasn't sure whether he or Wilson would have a better career.

Did you see any chance for Mills to be a top ten QB in the league for a few years?

After last season Mills had played better than any QB in his draft class. So yes I thought he could eventually lead the Texans to where Lawrence is tonight. BTW, I still say Mills would be much better with better weapons around him.

vtech9

All Pro
I think he showed enough in late 21 to get more playing time. I don't think he showed enough for us to ignore the qb position in that draft or free agency (22.)

If you want a winning team, you have to have a qb. More free agent journeymen like Tyrod Taylor aren't going to do it.

What's your plan for qb in 2023?
In late '21, Mills showed that he could possibly be a starting caliber QB. In '22 he showed that he could only be a possible backup. Can he be more than a backup? I don't know. I do think his regression was because of the coaching staff. Will he improve with new coaches? We'll have to wait and see. It may not be here though.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

I was against drafting a QB at all in that draft. But we're not talking about what I would do, what you would do, or even Davis Mills

Unless it's a QB. I'm not saying Davis Mills should have been that QB. I agree a third round pick should be expected to play a lot, if not start.

But a QB taken in the third round would be a developmental player.

I agree it wasn't prudent for the Texans to do so in that draft, with that pick, or with that QB.

Generally speaking there is nothing wrong with taking a developmental QB with a 3rd round pick.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

But he's a developmental QB right?

I really wonder what their plan was. It surely wasn't to win... but to develope Mills?

That was an extremely valuable pick surely they expect him to be the starter eventually & that's not looking very good right now.

If they draft a QB in 2023 that shows Nick Fubared his first pick in his first draft.