Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

Pushing the ball doesn't always mean throwing bombs, its about throwing the ball with the chance to make big plays. It could be that play vs philly of that one vs the Bears. There have been plays where wr's broke open in their route and because Mills has predetermined to check the ball down to Burkhead. Those are plays designed in a progression that should've been made.
This is my biggest issue with Mills

Do you feel USC is stacked with the same talent as Ohio State? I believe USC joins Alabama and Ohio State at the top of the recruiting class in 2023.
I believe USC has as much talent as any program in the country right now. I believe with Riley there as an offensive minded/qb guy , you're not going to see the exodus of that talent leaving. I mean DJ,Stroud,and Young are all from Cali and none stayed home. That's going to change. Chip Kelly is also across town and establishing his program, that's going to help too.. Riley is going to have to recruit better and develop defense better than he did at OU.

Pushing the ball doesn't always mean throwing bombs, its about throwing the ball with the chance to make big plays. It could be that play vs philly of that one vs the Bears. There have been plays where wr's broke open in their route and because Mills has predetermined to check the ball down to Burkhead. Those are plays designed in a progression that should've been made.
So how many times per game does the broadcast team show guys who are open and Mills didn’t get it there?

Matt Jones looks a whole better after being benched. Maybe this will wake Mills up.
With the Texans luck. Mills sits out a couple of games, gets a chance to play in the final 2-3 games this year, performs like he did in the last five games in 2021 and Texans are back where they were at the end of the 2021 season. Wondering if he can build on those performance. Talk about a hamster wheel.

With the Texans luck. Mills sits out a couple of games, gets a chance to play in the final 2-3 games this year, performs like he did in the last five games in 2021 and Texans are back where they were at the end of the 2021 season. Wondering if he can build on those performance. Talk about a hamster wheel.

Never underestimate the Houston Hamsters abilities at wheel spinning.

I really want to know which receiver is consistently getting open.
In fairness. Isn't that tough answer for any poster to answer? If you have a QB hesitating to throw the ball and can't extend plays. He is constantly missing the open windows. For example, on the Pick-6 against Washington. If Mills trusts his read and doesn't hesitate, Cooks is open. However, because he hesitates, the DB breaks on the ball and it appears that no one was open.

Here is a very good breakdown of what the defense was doing, the throw and what leads to the Pick-6. If needed, you can go to the 1:01 mark. IMHO. It feels like we went from a QB who "at times" would hold the ball too long and extend the play to one who either doesn't allow the play to develop or holds the ball, cannot extend the play and is missing opportunities. As Texans fans, we just can't win.

Wrong receiver we’re open a lot. He was just going to his first read. And he wasn’t allowing a lot of those plays to develop.
This is where you don't come off as credible. The real answer is a mixture of both: Mills is sometimes missing reads or locking on primary read, but it's also the receivers not getting open consistently. I've seen at least 2 games where the color guy, an ex-NFL player, men being paid millions of dollars per year to express expert opinions of the game from the press box with a perfect vantage point, explicitly state that they weren't seeing WR getting open on the field. Many have noted this as well. Throw in a brutal interior OL, and the problems are collective issue.

You'll have more credibility when you're not 100% hate on for Mills are try being objective. And yes, Mills is a big contributor to these problems which is why I support him sitting. If this is wrong, and Mills is really the sole issue of the offense's problems, then Allen will be a material upgrade to the offense for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
This is where you don't come off as credible. The real answer is a mixture of both: Mills is sometimes missing reads or locking on primary read, but it's also the receivers not getting open consistently. I've seen at least 2 games where the color guy, an ex-NFL player, men being paid millions of dollars per year to express expert opinions of the game from the press box with a perfect vantage point, explicitly state that they weren't seeing WR getting open on the field. Many have noted this as well. Throw in a brutal interior OL, and the problems are collective issue.

You'll have more credibility when you're not 100% hate on for Mills are try being objective. And yes, Mills is a big contributor to these problems which is why I support him sitting. If this is wrong, and Mills is really the sole issue of the offense's problems, then Allen will be a material upgrade to the offense for the foreseeable future.
Dude you haven’t been on here long enough for this. Go back to last season and all of the off season. I backed Mills up to the fullest. So don’t ever charge me up with nonsense like this. One last thing if he plays good or makes a beautiful play, I’m one of the first to come on here and give him or any other player their props. Credibility, man miss me with that crap.

Dude you haven’t been on here long enough for this. Go back to last season and all of the off season. I backed Mills up to the fullest. So don’t ever charge me up with nonsense like this. One last thing if he plays good or makes a beautiful play, I’m one of the first to come on here and give him or any other player their props. Credibility, man miss me with that crap.
How long you've been here or I've been here makes no difference to me. You consistently are a one-way street with blame, and I think you are wrong (or more accurately, half right). So when you start acknowledging the other factors, I have no reason to message this way. Quite obvious you're all-in on the Mills hate, and your one-way messaging has irked me... Have a nice evening!

Is there a time frame of board membership that allows one to state an opinion? How long is it? You're a new comer to many... I'm a new comer to some too. If there is a probation period it should be stated loudly in the rules. Credibility man?
The more you post does not make you smarter. It's like Dr. Richard Feynman said, You can have a Ph.D. and still be an idiot.

Eh...

I want to give Mills the benefit of the doubt. But he's making too many bad decisions lately & not enough good decisions to balance it out.

I understand the team is letting him down, but he can't be part of the problem. He's got to stop making bad decisions or start making more good ones.

How long you've been here or I've been here makes no difference to me. You consistently are a one-way street with blame, and I think you are wrong (or more accurately, half right)
You totally missed his point. He was one of Mill's biggest fanbois until recently. You may not agree with his reasons, but that's what makes for productive discussion. His critics has been mainly on the throws we can all agree Mills should have made. Had nothing to do with the OL, pass rush, or play call. WR wide open, Davis has a clean pocket, & he sails it, throws it at the feet, or misses wide for no apparent reason.
So when you start acknowledging the other factors, I have no reason to message this way
You do understand as one sided as you say he is, you're just as one sided.

Is there a time frame of board membership that allows one to state an opinion? How long is it? You're a new comer to many... I'm a new comer to some too. If there is a probation period it should be stated loudly in the rules. Credibility man?
Not my point. The point is if he was on here then, he would’ve known I was one of the only ones on here lobbying for him to start. I gave him his props for finishing off the season strong. But it’s pretty amazing on how quickly you take up for others. This had not a darn thing to do with you. But since it’s TB, I knew you would come to their aid.

You totally missed his point. He was one of Mill's biggest fanbois until recently. You may not agree with his reasons, but that's what makes for productive discussion. His critics has been mainly on the throws we can all agree Mills should have made. Had nothing to do with the OL, pass rush, or play call. WR wide open, Davis has a clean pocket, & he sails it, throws it at the feet, or misses wide for no apparent reason.

Exactly and thank you Thunder.

Not my point. The point is if he was on here then, he would’ve known I was one of the only ones on here lobbying for him to start. I gave him his props for finishing off the season strong. But it’s pretty amazing on how quickly you take up for others. This had not a darn thing to do with you. But since it’s TB, I knew you would come to their aid.
This makes no sense to me. I wasn't coming to anyone's aid, I was just questioning the one comment that I quoted. I know that you've been a Mills supporter as much as anyone until lately. Why are you so sensitive that you think I am taking up for others against you? Who is TB?

I really want to know which receiver is consistently getting open.
Pay for game pass and watch the all 22 and you will see the wrs getting open by nfl standards and him not cutting the ball loose. I rarely watch the TV copy. i watch the all 22 and the condensed game and see it alot.

Just remember there are two sides to everything.. unless it's a circle or a triangle or a square or a..

This makes no sense to me. I wasn't coming to anyone's aid, I was just questioning the one comment that I quoted. I know that you've been a Mills supporter as much as anyone until lately. Why are you so sensitive that you think I am taking up for others against you? Who is TB?
Tampa Bay? Can we go back to football?

True you did want Mills to start this season at QB and changed your mind.

I changed my mine too, although I believe Mills never stood a chance to succeed.

You really changed my opinion when it came to Derrick. You were one of his biggest fans, but when his sexual perversions came to light you were right in saying it was time to move on from Derrick. (Unlike some on this MB) You really gained my long term respect, not that this probably matters to you at all.

Just know the back and forth about Stroud is just football talk that we happen to disagree on. I still enjoy the back and forth talking football.

True you did want Mills to start this season at QB and changed your mind.

I changed my mine too, although I believe Mills never stood a chance to succeed.

You really changed my opinion when it came to Derrick. You were one of his biggest fans, but when his sexual perversions came to light you were right in saying it was time to move on from Derrick. (Unlike some on this MB) You really gained my long term respect, not that this probably matters to you at all.

Just know the back and forth about Stroud is just football talk that we happen to disagree on. I still enjoy the back and forth talking football.
I enjoy talking football with you and the rest of the crew.
I’m all about the Texans and that’s it. And I will call the game exactly the way I see it. I understand some will agree while others will disagree. That’s why it’s a sports forum.

I enjoy talking football with you and the rest of the crew.
I’m all about the Texans and that’s it. And I will call the game exactly the way I see it. I understand some will agree while others will disagree. That’s why it’s a sports forum.
I appreciate you and your take.

You're one of the least biased among us all.

Though you will go all out for a take, you're always open for changes.

You have an open mind.

I think I may envy you on that.

That's not going to happen, because Mills can't fix his flaws in a couple of games. Though I think he could get his footwork right eventually. With the right coaching. I thought about going back to look at his college video to see where Mills went wrong, but what's the point? Mills is a limited athlete with a low NFL ceiling. At best, he's a bridge QB/backup. Someone you're always looking to replace.

Reading the last couple of pages of this thread, it has been really interesting. Since 2017, the Texans defense allowed 27.3 (2017), 19.8 (2018), 24.1 (2019), 29.0 (2020), 26.6 (2021) and 23.0 (2022) per game. Does anyone notice a trend?

Reading the last couple of pages, if I didn't know better, I would think that bad OL play, bad defenses, questionable offensive play calling, or WRs not getting separation are new issues with the Texans. Well guess what? These issues have been constants with the Texans and some of us have been posting about it and how it affects a young QB for years.

I've seen enough. I liked the pick originally as leverage against the Watson drama. Saw a couple flashes last year. Nothing since.

With a different oc and better talent I'd give another shot next year if desperate. I wouldn't rest the hopes of a season on him ever again. I see him as a decent journeyman back up from here on out.
It was still an excellent pick by Caserio in the third round and I'm confidant the final NFL chapter has not been written for Davis Mills because he's obviously got talent, we know that. With a different coordinator and/or different supporting cast to include better WRs and a better TE who knows ?

We’ve all talked about this ad nauseum…. This offense very rarely, if ever, has WRs running wide open consistently. It always seems like when one is wide open it’s because of a blown coverage. Pep isn’t scheming guys open.
The other part of this equation in futility, the Texans receiving corp is pretty mediocre. They have a quarterback that routinely misses outside, misfires long, an OC w/o a plan, and a very thin receiving corp. Additionally, the Texans are 6th worst at running the ball. In fact, in almost every offensive statistic the Texans rank at or near the bottom. For that to happen, it's systemic. And it all happened with O'Brien. As most of us stated at the time, it's going to take several years before the Texans can be just average.

NFL Offensive Team Rankings 2022-23 (lineups.com)

The other part of this equation in futility, the Texans receiving corp is pretty mediocre. They have a quarterback that routinely misses outside, misfires long, an OC w/o a plan, and a very thin receiving corp. Additionally, the Texans are 6th worst at running the ball. In fact, in almost every offensive statistic the Texans rank at or near the bottom. For that to happen, it's systemic. And it all happened with O'Brien. As most of us stated at the time, it's going to take several years before the Texans can be just average.

NFL Offensive Team Rankings 2022-23 (lineups.com)
And the defense is worse

I still believe

View attachment 11140

Perfect QB for a rebuild
After watching Caleb Williams last night I think Davis Mills, Lovie Smith, Pep Hamilton, and Nick Caserio all need one more year. In the meantime, the Texans should draft CJ Stroud in 2023, sit him for a year, draft Williams in 2024, then trade Stroud for a minimum of 4000 NFL trade value points. TIA

Back