Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

djohn2oo8

All Pro
called it.. Allen will look ok for a sec against the Dolphins and Browns…then will get wrecked by Dallas, Chiefs and Tenn…pretty much like Mills..
Yep. I do not like Mills being treated by the team as the scapegoat for team wide issues. That’s concerning. Kyle Allen isn’t going to fix running Brandin Cooks on predictable out routes the first or second play of the game either.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Well he h

Well he has been benched and rightfully so.
why is it right? He was playing bad..but the reasons aren’t solely b/c of him & dropping Kyle Allen in as the starter isnt likely to yield any better results than what we got from Mills. This a hail mary attempt…….. in a driving rainstorm …….. with midget WR’s …….. from like the 99 yard line lol.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I've seen enough. I liked the pick originally as leverage against the Watson drama. Saw a couple flashes last year. Nothing since.

With a different oc and better talent I'd give another shot next year if desperate. I wouldn't rest the hopes of a season on him ever again. I see him as a decent journeyman back up from here on out.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
There’s absolutely no point in benching Mills at this point in time. Because Allen is not going to do any better. Also, as a GM it is Caserio’s job to help his QB. Has he?
There’s absolutely no point continuing to throw a QB out there who’s bottom of the barrel in just about every statistical category there is either. Even if it isn’t all his fault which it isn’t.

Allen isn’t going to make anything better just like replacing any so-called starter on this team with anybody on this roster won’t. Well, maybe Eno over Rex.

If nothing else, benching Mills might be better for his psyche. Let him watch a game or two from the sidelines, kinda gather himself or something. Hell, the way this OL protects, Allen could be injured at any moment and Mills is right back in there.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
There’s absolutely no point continuing to throw a QB out there who’s bottom of the barrel in just about every statistical category there is either. Even if it isn’t all his fault which it isn’t.

Allen isn’t going to make anything better just like replacing any so-called starter with anybody on this roster won’t. Well, maybe Eno over Rex.

If nothing else, benching Mills might be better for his psyche. Let him watch a game or two from the sidelines, kinda gather himself or something. Hell, the way this OL protects, Allen could be injured at any moment and Mills is right back in there.
Allen does have an injury history… and Mills best ability is his availability.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Yep. I do not like Mills being treated by the team as the scapegoat
I don't think he's a scapegoat. I think he's been a big part of the problem.

His footwork is absolutely trash and that reflects in his accuracy. He stares at his wr of choice. He doesn't look with his eyes, he looks with his head and entire secondarys key on that. His play is 100% conservative. Maybe he's being overcoached into that ,but he seems to take the 3 yard check down 10 out of 10 times over a 30 yard chance.

All of his throws feel a second late. I don't know if he has trouble reading defenses or if he's not familiar enough with the plays? He has a problem diagnosing things though without question. Something here is off.

No on field presence. I like a Qb with grit and moxy. I don't see it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
why is it right? He was playing bad..but the reasons aren’t solely b/c of him
is that the only reason to bench a guy? Because everything is going poorly because of him? How about he’s not playing well?

What if he didn’t show up one day without clearing it first & when asked he said, “you ain’t the boss of me!!”

I don’t know why they benched him. I don’t agree with it. In fact I’m upset about it because I thought they had a plan & were just going through the process.

Benching him now tells me they don’t know what the problems are & how to fix them. I should have known when Lovie said as much a couple of days ago.

sigh

badboy

Hall of Fame
I remember D.Brown rookie struggles, that's why I'm not worried about Green. Center is a problem,but they can get one in the 3rd or 4th rd of the draft. WR class is deep, Edge players are available in 1st rd. They need better coaching and transition from these Kirkskey/KPL/Eric Murray types on defense.
Agree except that edge rushers can be found in round two also.

badboy

Hall of Fame
is that the only reason to bench a guy? Because everything is going poorly because of him? How about he’s not playing well?

What if he didn’t show up one day without clearing it first & when asked he said, “you ain’t the boss of me!!”

I don’t know why they benched him. I don’t agree with it. In fact I’m upset about it because I thought they had a plan & were just going through the process.

Benching him now tells me they don’t know what the problems are & how to fix them. I should have known when Lovie said as much a couple of days ago.

sigh
Protecting that 1.1 in 2023

Texansballer74

The Marine
Mills was doing a fine job of that. Maybe they want to see what they have in Allen just in case they need to draft a qb and let Allen take the reigns next year as the rookie learns.
Or maybe they want to be able to properly evaluate the rest of the offensive unit. Mills wasn’t giving them that luxury because he was that bad. Caserio used McCoy as an example in his meeting today, highlighting how quickly he was getting the ball out. Mills wasn’t doing that.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
I don't think he's a scapegoat. I think he's been a big part of the problem.

His footwork is absolutely trash and that reflects in his accuracy. He stares at his wr of choice. He doesn't look with his eyes, he looks with his head and entire secondarys key on that. His play is 100% conservative. Maybe he's being overcoached into that ,but he seems to take the 3 yard check down 10 out of 10 times over a 30 yard chance.

All of his throws feel a second late. I don't know if he has trouble reading defenses or if he's not familiar enough with the plays? He has a problem diagnosing things though without question. Something here is off.

No on field presence. I like a Qb with grit and moxy. I don't see it.
His play is conservative? How about the playcalling itself? Are any plays even designed to get past the first down marker until they are down 14 plus? Allen will face the same issues.

Reactions: JB

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Or maybe they want to be able to properly evaluate the rest of the offensive unit. Mills wasn’t giving them that luxury because he was that bad. Caserio used McCoy as an example in his meeting today, highlighting how quickly he was getting the ball out. Mills wasn’t doing that.
lol, who is there to evaluate on offense? Pretty much everyone can be evaluated independent of Mills except the WR’s…so lets do that. Moore, Cooks have been in the league for ages..we know what they are. Nico has seemed to blossom a bit with Mills playing as bad as he is….Pierce is awesome..Rex is trash…We know what Tunsil and Howard are..Green has struggled as of late but again his play can be evaluated independently. Quessenberry and Cann are trash..Jordan can’t stay healthy but has good repoire with Mills when he is on the field. Howard..Akins are veterans but are JAGs…

literally the only evaluation left is Metchie…& thats b/c he hasnt played. There’s no evaluation that needs to happen for any other players on offense. The playcalling and overall philosophy is doing more damage to the offense than any 1 player…

Hottoddie

Veteran
I was a little disappointed when I read the news, but now I'm glad they've decided to make the move. Allen has more NFL experience than Mills & if he struggles like Mills has struggled, then it might take some of the heat off Mills & make everyone take a closer look at the offensive line and/or coaching staff. It's my opinion that the most glaring holes on the offense are the interior line & play calling. Green's a rookie playing with an injury & should get better the more he plays (and the injury heals, of course). AJ Cann is solid & should be good for another year, but he's getting up there in age & injuries could start raising their ugly heads before too long. I believe we have to draft, or sign through free agency, a young starting center & a RG. Britt & McCray have to go. Then, we'll have to get through the process of them gelling together. I know everyone on this board is a rabid Texan fan, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that the Texan's are in the middle of a total rebuild & not all the pieces are in place yet. These next two drafts & free agency periods (with a boatload of cap space) should put us into serious contention. And, as for Kyle Allen, he's had one decent year in 2019 before following Rivera to Washington where he dislocated his ankle & has been an after thought in the NFL since. Maybe Doc can give us his opinion as to the recovery from a dislocated ankle in the NFL.

"Allen was traded to Washington in 2020, following Rivera to Washington in 2020. He started in four games that season before a dislocated ankle ended his season in Week 9."

djohn2oo8

All Pro
What about the qb
Can’t evaluate him completely. Because he has regressed under Pep, and the OL doesn’t block. And there are no reliable receivers. Not even Cooks who has dropped a lot of passes. Put another QB in with these circumstances, you won’t see wins either.

Say Mills holds on to the ball too long, which of the receivers are getting separation? Which play calls are designed for that? Why is Brandin Cooks (an undersized receiver) running verticals multiple times per game?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I was a little disappointed when I read the news, but now I'm glad they've decided to make the move. Allen has more NFL experience than Mills & if he struggles like Mills has struggled, then it might take some of the heat off Mills & make everyone take a closer look at the offensive line and/or coaching staff. It's my opinion that the most glaring holes on the offense are the interior line & play calling. Green's a rookie playing with an injury & should get better the more he plays (and the injury heals, of course). AJ Cann is solid & should be good for another year, but he's getting up there in age & injuries could start raising their ugly heads before too long. I believe we have to draft, or sign through free agency, a young starting center & a RG. Britt & McCray have to go. Then, we'll have to get through the process of them gelling together. I know everyone on this board is a rabid Texan fan, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that the Texan's are in the middle of a total rebuild & not all the pieces are in place yet. These next two drafts & free agency periods (with a boatload of cap space) should put us into serious contention. And, as for Kyle Allen, he's had one decent year in 2019 before following Rivera to Washington where he dislocated his ankle & has been an after thought in the NFL since. Maybe Doc can give us his opinion as to the recovery from a dislocated ankle in the NFL.

"Allen was traded to Washington in 2020, following Rivera to Washington in 2020. He started in four games that season before a dislocated ankle ended his season in Week 9."
Allen’s “decent” year he had decent starters on his team..especially on defense. 2 pro bowlers and a few all-pros…he wont have anything close to that with this team.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Can’t evaluate him completely. Because he has regressed under Pep, and the OL doesn’t block. And there are no reliable receivers. Not even Cooks who has dropped a lot of passes. Put another QB in with these circumstances, you won’t see wins either.

Say Mills holds on to the ball too long, which of the receivers are getting separation? Which play calls are designed for that? Why is Brandin Cooks (an undersized receiver) running verticals multiple times per game?
Cooks doesn’t run many vertical routes.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
lol, who is there to evaluate on offense? Pretty much everyone can be evaluated independent of Mills except the WR’s…so lets do that. Moore, Cooks have been in the league for ages..we know what they are. Nico has seemed to blossom a bit with Mills playing as bad as he is….Pierce is awesome..Rex is trash…We know what Tunsil and Howard are..Green has struggled as of late but again his play can be evaluated independently. Quessenberry and Cann are trash..Jordan can’t stay healthy but has good repoire with Mills when he is on the field. Howard..Akins are veterans but are JAGs…

literally the only evaluation left is Metchie…& thats b/c he hasnt played. There’s no evaluation that needs to happen for any other players on offense. The playcalling and overall philosophy is doing more damage to the offense than any 1 player…
Again, I ask the question.
Is it because of the GM or the coaching staff that the result on the field is so bad?

What's your suggestions as how to fix this?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Again, I ask the question.
Is it because of the GM or the coaching staff that the result on the field is so bad?

What's your suggestions as how to fix this?
There aint no “fixing” this this year. The team is bad…almost everyone knew it would be bad……b/c we’re in the middle of a rebuild coming out of an unprecedented situation.

This past draft yielded some quality pieces…we’ll get another draft this year to add to that…finally have some cap space so maybe we can add a quality FA or 2…this is what building through the draft looks like..takes patience..people need to chill.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
There aint no “fixing” this this year. The team is bad…almost everyone knew it would be bad……b/c we’re in the middle of a rebuild coming out of an unprecedented situation.

This past draft yielded some quality pieces…we’ll get another draft this year to add to that…finally have some cap space so maybe we can add a quality FA or 2…this is what building through the draft looks like..takes patience..people need to chill.
Did you expect the Texans to be this bad?

Given that you think the draft brought some quality pieces?

Texansballer74

The Marine
and a qb cant get comfortable in the pocket with his center in his lap either.
Dude what’s done is done. I’m not about to go back and forth with you because you’re not happy with the decision. You saw what you saw and I saw what I saw. Mills was terrible. And in the beginning he had time and he was still inaccurate with his passes. On a lot of those drop back passes he had time. The offensive line has regressed from earlier this season no doubt. Anybody can tell they’re half ashing it because the confidence in the quarterback isn’t there. You can tell the receivers are getting frustrated as well. But hey keep up the fight for Mills

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Did you expect the Texans to be this bad?

Given that you think the draft brought some quality pieces?

Even if we only win 1 game this year……what really is the difference between 1 win this year and 4 from last year? There is no discernible difference in those levels of bad like you’re trying to make ot seem…Last year 2 of our wins came against the lowly Jags…this year our only win is against the lowly jags.

and although i consider them quality pieces, they are still rookies. Last year Nico didnt look like a viable #2 thru 16 games..He‘s set to make a huge jump in production this year having already pretty much surpassed what he did all of last year.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
What about receivers who consistently let the ball him them in the chest and proceed to drop it? Who is reliable out there? Which WR?
The Texans are in the middle of the pack in dopped passes, tied with several teams with 13 drops and just one or two more than the teams with 11 and 12 dropped passes.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Even if we only win 1 game this year……what really is the difference between 1 win this year and 4 from last year? There is no discernible difference in those levels of bad like you’re trying to make ot seem…Last year 2 of our wins came against the lowly Jags…this year our only win is against the lowly jags.

and although i consider them quality pieces, they are still rookies. Last year Nico didnt look like a viable #2 thru 16 games..He‘s set to make a huge jump in production this year having already pretty much surpassed what he did all of last year.
With all the new pieces (also more cap space), this team ought to look better than the one from last year.

I ask you again, did you expect them to be this bad?
Answer me frankly.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
i just wanna know what your genius insights into the team’s performance will be when Allen gets out here and the offense still looks like ****.
The Texans are actually pretty good in the penalty department. (Fewer than the norm).

And as I had posted earlier, better than mediocre in the dropped passes department.

Last edited by a moderator:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
lol..yeah…but you were also advocating we throw money at Daryl Williams to play guard for us b/c he had a good PFF grade in 2020 for the panthers….that guy is currently not even playing the NFL anymore so….what gives pancakes…:mcclain:
Go back and check on the thread when the Texans sign Cannon and Britt, Williams was not on the list.

I don't even know who he is.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
there is no “this bad” in my mind dude..b/c there is no difference between 1 win and 4.
Bad is bad…stop trying to put **** into a nice neat box for your reductive ass way of thinking.
LOL.

And I had expected some reasoning.

My bad.

You're right.

Pardon me from existing. texanpride

Last edited:

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

Because Cooks known for his deep speed. He's always been a fast,explosive, wr. He's not undersized. He wasn't undersized when Brees,Brady,Goff,and Watson was throwing him the ball, but now all of a sudden he's undersized? How about Mills is just not a starting nfl caliber qb. Its fine, he can make a bunch of money being a great backup in the nfl

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
and a qb cant get comfortable in the pocket with his center in his lap either.
You remember the oline Watson was playing behind when posters said sacks were on him for holding the ball? I don't care if my qb holds the ball and take sacks being a playmaker vs holding the ball taking sacks because you're scared to turn the ball loose.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Because i known for his deep speed. He's a;ways been a fast,explosive, wr. He's not undersized. He wasn't undersized when Brees,Brady,Goff,and Watson was throwing him the ball, but now all of a sudden he's undersized? How about Mills is just not a starting nfl caliber qb. Its fine, he can make a bunch of money being a great backup in the nfl
Except he also had 1000 yard season with Mills throwing him the ball last year too. Imo He’s taken a step back this year b/c he cant beat doubles as a true #1. There’s a reason he has continued to get traded…He’s never been able to consistently be that true threat anywhere he’s gone

76Texan

Hall of Fame
you were against the Cannon and Britt signing and stated that the type of players they should be going after is williams…stating that his PFF grade and the percieved cheapness he could theoretically be had at….then you later crowed that we missed out b/c he signed a “very affordable” extension with the then up and coming Bills…
Williams was hardly a free agent.

I don't even know who he is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because Cooks known for his deep speed. He's always been a fast,explosive, wr. He's not undersized. He wasn't undersized when Brees,Brady,Goff,and Watson was throwing him the ball, but now all of a sudden he's undersized? How about Mills is just not a starting nfl caliber qb. Its fine, he can make a bunch of money being a great backup in the nfl
That's a bunch of B.S. Cooks looked just fine last year with Mills throwing him the ball. Typical Brandin Cooks type season, an in fact, 2021 was the most receptions he ever had in one season. The truth is, a confluence of factors is the reason why Mills has statistically regressed, including himself. So if he did it last year, you're saying that Mills was not capable of doing in again in 2022??

Last edited: