Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Davis Mills getting no respect

Dude, you're losing me. You can bring up all the combine stuff you want. But that doesn't necessarily translate into game action. We can all see through a simple eye test that Waddle and Hill and MUCH superior to Cooks and Dorsett. **** man, it's not even a conversation. Perhaps peak Cooks you might have an argument he's close to the other guys, but he's obviously lost a step and I haven't seen any catches this year where he really separated all that much... Everything Cooks catches is contested. Hill and Waddle get 2-3 yards of separation on the defender all the time.

So bottom line, I don't agree with your premise at all. Hill is about to become an All-Pro for the 4th year in 7, with a QB that was quasi on the bubble entering the season. He's a consensus generational talent. Common man, are pretzelling yourself to fit a narrative.

Ok, I think I'm checking out of this thread because the debate doesn't make any sense to me. Please have the last word as warranted. Cheers.
This is as open as it gets.

And if we sit down and watch film all day; I guarantee you that I can show you how Mills misses all these open receivers.

There's a video clip somewhere showing just that.
I think it was Texansballer that posted it.

Watch how much time Mills had.
Yet, he locked onto the receiver from the start.
Too easy for the safety to see it.

And look how open how no. 15 Chris Moore was.
Mills could either manipulate the safety to that side before making this throw or manipulate the safety with this look and deliver the pass to Moore.

It's nonsense to say that Mills didn't have open receivers.

Yes

Pass block: 21st and 29th respectively.

What kind of source is “the undroppables”.

Looks like a bunch of part time-arm chair sports analyst. Probably as knowledgeable as some on this message board.

You can't expect the receiver to make the difficult catch all the time.
The fact was that he was wide open and Mills had plenty of time.
One would expect the QB to make a better pass than that. No excuse.

Also, we've already go over the number of drops by both teams; the difference is negligible.

The fact remains that Mills is very inconsistent with his accuracy.

Undeniably so.

Most of the time a ball hitting the receivers in the hand is a catchable ball. Saying they are all difficult catches is false.

This is as open as it gets.

And if we sit down and watch film all day; I guarantee you that I can show you how Mills misses all these open receivers.

There's a video clip somewhere showing just that.
I think it was Texansballer that posted it.

You are changing the subject from you saying the Texans wide receivers are as good as Hill and Waddle from Mills missing an open player.

Own what you say.

And your analysis or opinion doesn’t count for much when you think the Texans wide receivers are as good as Hill and Waddle.

What kind of source is “the undroppables”.

Looks like a bunch of part time-arm chair sports analyst. Probably as knowledgeable as some on this message board.
It rhymes with all the sources we had.
Some member(s) here (who are Mill's defenders) even admit that the pass block hasn't been too bad this year.

And the Dolphins were coming off a year where their pass block was deemed historically bad by numerous sources, including PFF.

PFF is a source where Steelb used to say that Tunsil is the 5th or 6th best LT.

They also said that the Dolphins have two very weak links on the offensive line; worse than the two weak links on the Texans Oline.

Most of the time a ball hitting the receivers in the hand is a catchable ball. Saying they are all difficult catches is false.
You still missed the point.
We're discussing whether Mills has an open receiver and whether he has time to throw the ball.

He had both and threw the ball low.
In that instance, throwing the ball low to a receiver on the move (unless it was supposed to be thrown to that low spot) is on the QB.

That ball was also slightly behind the receiver.

Throwing a receiver open is the term.
Your QB is supposed to throw the receiver open.

You are changing the subject from you saying the Texans wide receivers are as good as Hill and Waddle from Mills missing an open player.

Own what you say.

And your analysis or opinion doesn’t count for much when you think the Texans wide receivers are as good as Hill and Waddle.
When did I say that the Texans receivers are better than the Dolphin's two best receivers?

I'm saying that the Texans receivers did get open a lot, and Mills had missed many of them.

You can't expect the receiver to make the difficult catch all the time.
The fact was that he was wide open and Mills had plenty of time.
One would expect the QB to make a better pass than that. No excuse.

Also, we've already go over the number of drops by both teams; the difference is negligible.

The fact remains that Mills is very inconsistent with his accuracy.

Undeniably so.

With his level of inexperience…..I fully prepared myself mentally for inconsistency during his developmental period. My only hope, Caserio would have considered bringing in a solid Tier 1 veteran backup QB that could compete with Mills and mentor him if Mills won the starting job. I believe this to be invaluable….just chat with Elway regarding Kubiak, their QB2, not the coach.

Last edited:
See how open Dorsett was; he had to wait and wait for the ball; therefore getting rung up as he caught the ball.

Bad pick for an example. Mills threw that ball about as good as anyone in the NFL could have. Just over the top of the front defender and just in front of the defender coming his way in a hurry. If he had led Cooks the pass is probably picked. Great pass and catch.

It's impossible to follow the conversation here as it keeps changing. Can anyone please tell me what the topic really is?

When did I say that the Texans receivers are better than the Dolphin's two best receivers?

I'm saying that the Texans receivers did get open a lot, and Mills had missed many of them.

Don’t try to crawfish your way out and play word games.

Every time you quoted a stat myself and others said it is because of Hill and Waddle. Your answer was to compare and say the Texans have Dorsett and Nico and that was ample enough.

You were given enough opportunities to clarify your position and didn’t.

If you were just trolling because you have nothing better to do just say so.

When I have nothing better to do I continue pointless conversations to exhaustion.

And now we know how we got here.

Bad pick for an example. Mills threw that ball about as good as anyone in the NFL could have. Just over the top of the front defender and just in front of the defender coming his way in a hurry. If he had led Cooks the pass is probably picked. Great pass and catch.
Watch the replay.
That pass to Dorsett (not Cooks) could have been sooner, before the safety has time to come over.

Another thing; Mills never tried to hold off the safety.
He was staring at the sideline route the whole time.

Last edited:
Don’t try to crawfish your way out and play word games.

Every time you quoted a stat myself and others said it is because of Hill and Waddle. Your answer was to compare and say the Texans have Dorsett and Nico and that was ample enough.

You were given enough opportunities to clarify your position and didn’t.

If you were just trolling because you have nothing better to do just say so.

When I have nothing better to do I continue pointless conversations to exhaustion.

And now we know how we got here.
You're the one who's trying to crawfish around and twist my words and my point.

My point was regarding Air Yard.

Can the receivers get open?
Yes, they can.

Can Mills get the ball to them?
Mills had plenty of protection and missed the open receiver or didn't see them many times.

I've shown a number of those instances with video clips.

And there are many more.

It was Mills who's the bigger part of the problem.

Case in point:
Many people who had hoped for Mills to become the one had waned in their support.

Steelb doesn't mind drafting another QB, if there's a good one.

Opti doesn't mind bringing in a veteran.

Unbiased guys like PencilNeck had said they're no longer optimistic as they once were.

I had hope before the season but I just haven’t seen anything to make me think he’s the guy. Misses too many easy throws, doesn’t have the confidence to try and throw his guys open, and doesn’t really have the ability to extend plays and make things happen on third down.

We’re suffering from the same issues Texans fans suffered from post Schaub pre Watson. We forget what good QB play looks like so when our guy does play a decent game fans go crazy over 1-2 throws when the actual good QB’s make those throws 4-5 times week in and week out. He’s not terrible and we shouldn’t rush the QB search but we’re gonna need to draft someone in 2023 or 2024 barring a turnaround this year

You're the one who's trying to crawfish around and twist my words and my point.

My point was regarding Air Yard.

Can the receivers get open?
Yes, they can.

Can Mills get the ball to them?
Mills had plenty of protection and missed the open receiver or didn't see them many times.

I've shown a number of those instances with video clips.

And there are many more.

It was Mills who's the bigger part of the problem.

Case in point:
Many people who had hoped for Mills to become the one had waned in their support.

Steelb doesn't mind drafting another QB, if there's a good one.

Opti doesn't mind bringing in a veteran.

Unbiased guys like PencilNeck had said they're no longer optimistic as they once were.

I have found something better to do.

I had hope before the season but I just haven’t seen anything to make me think he’s the guy. Misses too many easy throws, doesn’t have the confidence to try and throw his guys open, and doesn’t really have the ability to extend plays and make things happen on third down.

We’re suffering from the same issues Texans fans suffered from post Schaub pre Watson. We forget what good QB play looks like so when our guy does play a decent game fans go crazy over 1-2 throws when the actual good QB’s make those throws 4-5 times week in and week out. He’s not terrible and we shouldn’t rush the QB search but we’re gonna need to draft someone in 2023 or 2024 barring a turnaround this year
I get this. But we saw all of that from him at the end of last season. & we saw it all last game.

To me it looks like he’s got all the tools, just needs to put it all together. The 1st five games looked like a guy having to relearn everything, a guy who has to learn to do everything different & for some reason removing Cooks as his safety net was part of the changes.

I didn’t expect him to be so discombobulated with Pep carrying over from last year. But he did & I don’t know why.

Looks like he’s feeling himself last game. Hopefully a couple of home games will help him continue to progress.

I get this. But we saw all of that from him at the end of last season. & we saw it all last game.

To me it looks like he’s got all the tools, just needs to put it all together. The 1st five games looked like a guy having to relearn everything, a guy who has to learn to do everything different & for some reason removing Cooks as his safety net was part of the changes.

I didn’t expect him to be so discombobulated with Pep carrying over from last year. But he did & I don’t know why.

Looks like he’s feeling himself last game. Hopefully a couple of home games will help him continue to progress.

Arguably, I'd say that's the best road game he's played.

Unfortunately, we're hitting a tough stretch of the season.

Spot on Doc108. Good stuff/observation

Yeah up until it counted the most. Crunch time. But I’m going to place 75% of it on Pep. You’re down and you have your QB dinking and donking. You need big plays, a freaking answer and you took out your best weapon in the 4th.

I hope so too. What I’m really looking for is increasing consistencies on the easy throws. Putting it on the receivers so they can fight for YAC. Also I’d like to see him work on some higher level NFL throws. Get some back shoulder throws going, give your guys a chance to make a contested catch.

But we’ll see. He’s still got 11 games left but the clock is running for him.

The Texans ol has been much better than the Packers. These guys don't know what they're talking about.

Bakhtiari has been injured.

Arguably, I'd say that's the best road game he's played.

Unfortunately, we're hitting a tough stretch of the season.
Mills has played 3 good games this season overall, statistically, although intra-game consistency hasn't been there. Week 1 (Indy), Week 5 (SD) and Week 7 (LA). If it weren't for late force picks, Passer ratings would be well over 100 for the latter two. Broncos game SUCKED, and Bears/Jag were meh.

Mills needs to show more consistency of course, but it looks like it's getting better as we go as he gets more reps and understands the playbook. Evaluation will be hard to do though if he loses his top 2 WRs, Cooks and Collins (for an extended time), so not sure how Caesario can really make a fair evaluation. The team would have no weapons besides Pierce at that point, and he's not an established pass catcher.

Not sure how you really give a fair evaluation with no talent in the receiving core or TE.

Last edited:
Mills has played 3 good games this season overall, although intra-game consistency hasn't been there. Week 1 (Indy), Week 5 (SD) and Week 7 (LA). If it weren't for late force picks, Passer ratings would be well over 100 for the latter two. Broncos game SUCKED, and Bears/Jag were meh.

Mills needs to show more consistency of course, but it looks like it's getting better as we go as he gets more reps and understands the playbook. Evaluation will be hard to do though if he loses his top 2 WRs, Cooks and Collins (for an extended time), so not sure how Caesario can really make a fair evaluation. The team would have no weapons besides Pierce at that point, and he's not an established pass catcher.

Not sure how you really give a fair evaluation with no talent in the receiving core or TE.
I might add, the Broncos have made most opponents QBs suck this year, as that pass defense is really good. Herbert - 66 QB rating (@ home) ; Ryan - 60, Mills - 63, Wilson - 72, Carr - 76 (@ home), Garropolo - 81.

Only guy who did well statistically was Geno Smith Week 1.

Last edited:
Mills has played 3 good games this season overall, although intra-game consistency hasn't been there. Week 1 (Indy), Week 5 (SD) and Week 7 (LA). If it weren't for late force picks, Passer ratings would be well over 100 for the latter two. Broncos game SUCKED, and Bears/Jag were meh.

I’d be careful of grading him on a curve. Those three games you mentioned were decent games but they weren’t anything special. In the end in all those games we scored 24, 20, and 20 points. I believe for NFL offenses this year the median is somewhere around 24. So in his best games he’s made our offense middle of the road, not to mention the costly turnover he had in each of those games.

We’re looking for the QB of the future, a guy who we can put at the helm and expect success in a conference with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, and Herbert. For me to feel like he even has a chance at being that QB those “good” games of his need to become the norm in the second half of the season not the exception.

I’d be careful of grading him on a curve. Those three games you mentioned were decent games but they weren’t anything special. In the end in all those games we scored 24, 20, and 20 points. I believe for NFL offenses this year the median is somewhere around 24. So in his best games he’s made our offense middle of the road, not to mention the costly turnover he had in each of those games.

We’re looking for the QB of the future, a guy who we can put at the helm and expect success in a conference with Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, and Herbert. For me to feel like he even has a chance at being that QB those “good” games of his need to become the norm in the second half of the season not the exception.
I agree to some extent, but there's a heavy dose of context here.

First off, it's obvious that Pep in calling a conservative and measured offense that relies of short passing and measured ball movement. Is that because of Mills? Is it because he wants to limit mistakes because of Mills inexperience? Is it because we have below average WR1/2/3 talent? I would say possibly all of the above, although Mills had the best 20+ yards travelled passer rating in the entire NFL last year, so I have a hard time believing he doesn't trust Mills putting the ball downfield.

In the end, the team is not going to score a lot of points because it is not designed to. It's designed to be a 1990's style, ball control short passing offense with the occasional vertical strike. No motion or creativity whatsoever.

And even though I'm bullish on Mills arm talent and overall starter viability, I'm under no illusions he will even become Rodgers, Mahomes or Allen. My baseline prediction, if he's developed properly, is someone like Derek Carr, where he shares a similar build, arm strength, game fluidity and approach, although Carr is obviously better right now.

Some fans may think that's not enough, and that's fine. But if the baseline is getting the next Mahomes or Allen, well we could be waiting a long time for that and spinning though a multitude of QBs to find that golden nugget.

Last edited:
Mills had only one decent game so far this season. That game was last week.
I don't think that's true at all. Week 1 he had a 99.5 passer rating and was the 10th ranked QB according to PFF, despite the 4th quarter letdown. Mills passer rating was close to 110 in the SD game before he threw that desperation 4th and 20 heave when the OL got blown up right off the snap. So I don;t agree at all with that. Statistically, what you said isn't true. If you say that for an intra-game consistency point of view, then there's partial merit.

I don't think that's true at all. Week 1 he had a 99.5 passer rating and was the 10th ranked QB according to PFF, despite the 4th quarter letdown. Mills passer rating was close to 110 in the SD game before he threw that desperation 4th and 20 heave when the OL got blown up right off the snap. So I don;t agree at all with that. Statistically, what you said isn't true. If you say that for an intra-game consistency point of view, then there's partial merit.
You can not go off of the stat line. You have to watch the game. And Mills was wildly inconsistent in that game. Especially in the fourth quarter when it counted the most.

That’s why people said give him a whole season to measure his performance.
I was one of those people. But I have seen enough of him and Pep. And don’t get me started on Lovie and his defense. You don’t have to give them a full season to know that they are terrible.

Last edited:
I agree to some extent, but there's a heavy dose of context here.

First off, it's obvious that Pep in calling a conservative and measured offense that relies of short passing and measured ball movement. Is that because of Mills? Is it because he wants to limit mistakes because of Mills inexperience? Is it because we have below average WR1/2/3 talent? I would say possibly all of the above, although Mills had the best 20+ Passer rating in the entire NFL last year, so I have a hard time believing he doesn't trust Mills putting the ball downfield.

In the end, the team is not going to score a lot of points because it is not designed to. It's designed to be a 1990's style, ball control short passing offense with the occasional vertical strike. No motion or creativity whatsoever.

And even though I'm bullish on Mills arm talent and overall starter viability, I'm under no illusions he will even become Rodgers, Mahomes or Allen. My baseline prediction, if he's developed properly, is someone like Derek Carr, where he shares a similar build, arm strength, game fluidity and approach, although Carr is obviously better right now.

Some fans may think that's not enough, and that's fine. But if the baseline is getting the next Mahomes or Allen, well we could be waiting a long time for that and spinning though a multitude of QBs to find the golden nugget.
We’ll see on Mills he’s still got 11 games to prove me wrong.

As for waiting on a second Mahomes I agree that’s futile. Personally I think the best realistic QB you are looking for is a tier below the top guys but above that Carr/Cousins tier. That would be guys like Stafford, Lamar, Wilson before this disastrous year.

Guys of that caliber aren’t unicorns or anything. I’d say there’s 10-11 QB’s in the league in those top two tiers pre this season. It’s not like they grow on trees but that’s a third of the league. I just think Mills ceiling looks like a tier below that and I don’t think it’s worth hanging onto a guy like that for too long, not when you have the draft capital that we do these next 2 years

You can not go off of the stat line. You have to watch the game. And Mills was wildly inconsistent in that game. Especially in the fourth quarter when it counted the most.
Well ****, of course you have to go off the stat line. That's the best aggregate arbiter of how a QB performed in a given game, obviously. The stat line doesn't give the entire context in terms of clutchness or consistency of course, but if you have a 100 passer rating, which incorporates most of the important performance variables in a systematic calculation, but didn't close in the fourth quarter, it doesn't mean Mills had a 'bad' game. It could mean he had an inconsistent game, or unclutch game, but not bad. Statistically, he managed the offense to a level that made the game winnable at the end, generally speaking.

My question to you is this: Did you expect Mills to come in and start closing off game in the 4th quarter right away this season? If Caesario draft a lottery QB, are you going to give him **** for not closing right away when that will inevitably happen? What happens if the new QB has subpar receiving weapons, like the Texans do currently?

Expectations here are insane.

We’ll see on Mills he’s still got 11 games to prove me wrong.

As for waiting on a second Mahomes I agree that’s futile. Personally I think the best realistic QB you are looking for is a tier below the top guys but above that Carr/Cousins tier. That would be guys like Stafford, Lamar, Wilson before this disastrous year.

Guys of that caliber aren’t unicorns or anything. I’d say there’s 10-11 QB’s in the league in those top two tiers pre this season. It’s not like they grow on trees but that’s a third of the league. I just think Mills ceiling looks like a tier below that and I don’t think it’s worth hanging onto a guy like that for too long, not when you have the draft capital that we do these next 2 years
OK, we can disagree on Tier. Some have Mills rated higher than others, and that's fine. That's why I'm all for drafting a QB if you have the next Manning or whichever can't miss guy in the draft - at least at this point. Opinions will shift depending on how the year progresses.

But keep in mind, there are serious pitfalls to taking a lottery QB 'just because'. It becomes an absolute albatross for a team to draft someone like Kyler Murray, who is above average but not elite, and bust your cap space to all hell for ok production. It has to be the right guy.

If Mills keep playing like San Diego, Indy or last week, I want to invest in the defense and WR/TE. I don't want another lottery QB unless there is substantial upgrade potential. Is that what we have in this draft coming up??? I donno if I see that. But we shall see - alot of games left to play this season.

Well ****, of course you have to go off the stat line. That's the best aggregate arbiter of how a QB performed in a given game, obviously. The stat line doesn't give the entire context in terms of clutchness or consistency of course, but if you have a 100 passer rating, which incorporates most of the important performance variables in a systematic calculation, but didn't close in the fourth quarter, it doesn't mean Mills had a 'bad' game. It could mean he had an inconsistent game, or unclutch game, but not bad. Statistically, he managed the offense to a level that made the game winnable at the end, generally speaking.

My question to you is this: Did you expect Mills to come in and start closing off game in the 4th quarter right away this season? If Caesario draft a lottery QB, are you going to give him **** for not closing right away when that will inevitably happen? What happens if the new QB has subpar receiving weapons, like the Texans do currently?

Expectations here are insane.
Why are we cursing. Dude I watched every freaking game and I know wtf I saw out there. And heck yeah, that’s his freaking job. You want to be a darn starter in this league, you have to come up big in big moments.

A fan should expect to see a good the product on the freaking field. People are investing their money and time on these teams. Like I said before, most of these Texans fans are programmed to look at failure and be satisfied with it.

They’re is nothing wrong with disagreeing, so why are you getting all caught up in your feelings. Are you kin to Mills or something?

Yeah up until it counted the most. Crunch time. But I’m going to place 75% of it on Pep. You’re down and you have your QB dinking and donking. You need big plays, a freaking answer and you took out your best weapon in the 4th.
Until I see otherwise, I don't believe he has "it." He doesn't have that "clutch" gene. He's not the future. He's right now.

I'd be careful putting too much on the QB. Scoring & winning are team efforts & the QB is only a part of it. A big part, but only a part.

First off, it's obvious that Pep in calling a conservative and measured offense that relies of short passing and measured ball movement.
I'm not convinced it's so obvious. Mills is pulling the trigger. Mills is reading the defense. Mills decides where the ball goes.

I expect as he gets more comfortable he's going to start opening it up. I'm really expecting 3 passing TDs against Tennessee. But I expected 3 passing TDs against Oakland Las Vegas.

OK, we can disagree on Tier. Some have Mills rated higher than others, and that's fine. That's why I'm all for drafting a QB if you have the next Manning or whichever can't miss guy in the draft - at least at this point. Opinions will shift depending on how the year progresses.

But keep in mind, there are serious pitfalls to taking a lottery QB 'just because'. It becomes an absolute albatross for a team to draft someone like Kyler Murray, who is above average but not elite, and bust your cap space to all hell for ok production. It has to be the right guy.

If Mills keep playing like San Diego, Indy or last week, I want to invest in the defense and WR/TE. I don't want another lottery QB unless there is substantial upgrade potential. Is that what we have in this draft coming up??? I donno if I see that. But we shall see - alot of games left to play this season.

Patrick Mahomes wasn’t projected to be the next Manning either. Lamar Jackson was barely a first round pick, Watson was a mid first rounder, Herbert was a high pick but still the third QB off the board. It definitely is a bit of a lottery but you don’t need an all time prospect to get a really good QB. Frankly in this class I’m already seeing three guys with more upside than Mills and in the 2024 draft I’m already seeing 1 guy and I’m sure others will emerge.

Frankly I’d rather ride the risky QB carousel than build around a guy like Mills so we can get bounced in the divisional round every year

I'd be careful putting too much on the QB. Scoring & winning are team efforts & the QB is only a part of it. A big part, but only a part.

We don’t have an offense that completely lacks talent. Our line is average, we have a good running back, and our receiving weapons aren’t good but they aren’t abysmal. We have an offense that should be able to put up 20 points per game on a consistent basis yet we’ve managed to reach that in less than half of our games. I’m watching tape of Mills missing open throws, turning the ball over. He’s not the only problem but put Cousins or Ryan Tannehill or any average NFL QB on this offense and they’re doing much better .

Frankly I’d rather ride the risky QB carousel than build around a guy like Mills so we can get bounced in the divisional round every year
I look at Mills like a bird in the hand. If he's going to get us bounced out of the divisional round a couple of years, then we can get a Mahomes (who sat one year), or Herbert (who's having a hard time getting his team to the playoffs, thanks to the Davis Mills azwhupin)...

He's Alex Smith, Ryan Tannehill, Jimmy Garoppolo... maybe. So I agree, you don't need a generational Prototypical prospect. But you don't need Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Zach Mettneberg, Vince Young, Marcus Mariotta.

Not many people here are happy with Pep Hamilton. Some think he'll be poached as a HC. Before we draft a QB, I'd like to be more "secure" in what we're going to do for coaching.

We don’t have an offense that completely lacks talent. Our line is average, we have a good running back, and our receiving weapons aren’t good but they aren’t abysmal. We have an offense that should be able to put up 20 points per game on a consistent basis yet we’ve managed to reach that in less than half of our games. I’m watching tape of Mills missing open throws, turning the ball over. He’s not the only problem but put Cousins or Ryan Tannehill or any average NFL QB on this offense and they’re doing much better .
I think Mills will be, not might be, better than those guys when he gets 4 or 5 years under his belt.

The next 3 games are going to show us more who Mills is than the last 3. He's learning his 2nd system in two years.

Back