Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Davis Mills getting no respect

Perhaps, but it goes to prove the idea you don't need a top tier QB to win multiple SBs.
No you don’t. But if you don’t, you need a damn good team. Top tier QB or damn good team, which one are we closer to?

And also, damn good teams are harder to keep together.

No you don’t. But if you don’t, you need a damn good team. Top tier QB or damn good team, which one are we closer to?

Common practice is to build a team...oh wait...
Btw, where you going to get a top tier QB?

Mills still has a lot of growing to do so I haven't given up on him yet.
The combination of him and the team continuously improving together should make us competitive in the not too distant future.

First you’ve got to improve before you can continuously improve. I’ve seen no signs of that happening yet.

First you’ve got to improve before you can continuously improve. I’ve seen no signs of that happening yet.
True, the team has yet to show it, but you can't say Mills didn't improve over the season.

Last edited:
Here's a list of every Quarterback ever drafted, what round they were drafted & what year. It also shows who was taken before them. It's amazing how many top rated QB's were busts & how many Hall of Famers were taken in the later rounds. My point is, all any team can do is make their best evaluation, coach the player up & give them time to develop. And, I couldn't give a flip what the media ho's have to say about my team's players. Most of them are biased towards the east coast & west coast teams anyway. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

Mills still has a lot of growing to do so I haven't given up on him yet.
The combination of him and the team continuously improving together should make us competitive in the not too distant future.
Then let’s not hope he can be as good as Eli Manning.

Eli is the toughest QB I’ve seen in my lifetime. But he was not a plus QB, not a game changer

Here's a list of every Quarterback ever drafted, what round they were drafted & what year. It also shows who was taken before them. It's amazing how many top rated QB's were busts & how many Hall of Famers were taken in the later rounds. My point is, all any team can do is make their best evaluation, coach the player up & give them time to develop. And, I couldn't give a flip what the media ho's have to say about my team's players. Most of them are biased towards the east coast & west coast teams anyway. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

It would be cool to see how many QBs had Super Bowl appearances, Super Bowl wins, and if the QB went to HOF.

So are you unhappy with what you perceive is his ceiling?
I'm not going to sit here and act like I know what his ceiling will be. He's played 12 f'ing games. I will say, however, if someone tells me we'll get Eli Manning out of him, then go ahead and start the QB search yesterday. Eli was average at best.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know what his ceiling will be. He's played 12 f'ing games. I will say, however, if someone tells me we'll get Eli Manning out of him, then go ahead and start the QB search yesterday. Eli was average at best.
Who told you we will only get Eli Manning out of him?

Sheesh. Nobody TOLD me. His name was brought up upthread. If somebody thinks Eli is the level to compare Mills to, well, that's not a very good level to be at. As I've said, Eli wasn't even Schaub at his peak good.
I brought up the Eli Manning comparison as a question to another poster who said he compares him to a possible Matt Ryan, which I liked. So then you said we should start looking for another guy if that is all we can expect.
Sheesh, we were just shooting the breeze too.

Especially when you are paying your QB 40-50 mil a year.

Look at history and the percentage of the cap the QBs on SB winning teams take up as a guide.

If I am projecting Mills based on body type, throwing mechanics, combine numbers, and eye test then I settle somewhere between Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan. Ten to fifteen years ago he would have likely not made it out of the first couple of rounds. Honestly if not for his injury history he wouldn’t have made it out of the first couple of rounds in current day. Let’s look at the numbers (not stats) and throwing mechanics below.

Measurements

Mills
6’4
31 3/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Ryan
6’4 3/4
32 5/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Bradford
6’4
34 3/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Mills
4.58/4.66 40

Ryan

Bradford

Now let’s look at the tape. I’ll try to find three comparable videos and throw types to compare.

Mills - 41 Yd TD Fade to Collins

Bradford - 36 Yd Pump Fade to Thielen

Ryan -44 Yd Fade to Julio

If you look at the ease Mills makes his throw compared to Ryan and Bradford, you get a feel for his arm strength.

Now let’s look at short throws. I love Mills quick delivery in this highlight. 11 Yard slant to Nico.

Bradford 10 yard corner to Rudolph. Notice the quick flick of the wrist but with enough juice to beat the inside man coverage.

Ryan 5 yard out/stick route to Hardy with a little extra zip due to traffic.

Now looking at this small small small sample, if the Texans can get the talent level of a Matt Ryan / Sam Bradford level (1.3 pick / 1.1 pick) at a third round discount, then we are in business. The thing that impresses me with Mills is the compact delivery and speed from decision to release. I would not quite put it on Brady’s release speed, but it is quite a difference after watching bigger pro style QBs like Savage and Osweiler who took an eternity from decision to release.

I am not forecasting a career of Matt Ryan by any means, but this is a best case scenario projection that teams attempt when looking into a prospect’s future potential. This is where I would start to build my views of where Mills could go and where Nick C. is hoping things will go.

I brought up the Eli Manning comparison as a question to another poster who said he compares him to a possible Matt Ryan, which I liked. So then you said we should start looking for another guy if that is all we can expect.
Sheesh, we were just shooting the breeze too.

Right. Eli sucks, so if that’s a comparison, give me something better than that shit. Next.

If I am projecting Mills based on body type, throwing mechanics, combine numbers, and eye test then I settle somewhere between Sam Bradford and Matt Ryan. Ten to fifteen years ago he would have likely not made it out of the first couple of rounds. Honestly if not for his injury history he wouldn’t have made it out of the first couple of rounds in current day. Let’s look at the numbers (not stats) and throwing mechanics below.

Measurements

Mills
6’4
31 3/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Ryan
6’4 3/4
32 5/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Bradford
6’4
34 3/8” arm length
9 1/2” hand size

Mills
4.58/4.66 40

Ryan

Bradford

Now let’s look at the tape. I’ll try to find three comparable videos and throw types to compare.

Mills - 41 Yd TD Fade to Collins

Bradford - 36 Yd Pump Fade to Thielen

Ryan -44 Yd Fade to Julio

If you look at the ease Mills makes his throw compared to Ryan and Bradford, you get a feel for his arm strength.

Now let’s look at short throws. I love Mills quick delivery in this highlight. 11 Yard slant to Nico.

Bradford 10 yard corner to Rudolph. Notice the quick flick of the wrist but with enough juice to beat the inside man coverage.

Ryan 5 yard out/stick route to Hardy with a little extra zip due to traffic.

Now looking at this small small small sample, if the Texans can get the talent level of a Matt Ryan / Sam Bradford level (1.3 pick / 1.1 pick) at a third round discount, then we are in business. The thing that impresses me with Mills is the compact delivery and speed from decision to release. I would not quite put it on Brady’s release speed, but it is quite a difference after watching bigger pro style QBs like Savage and Osweiler who took an eternity from decision to release.

I am not forecasting a career of Matt Ryan by any means, but this is a best case scenario projection that teams attempt when looking into a prospect’s future potential. This is where I would start to build my views of where Mills could go and where Nick C. is hoping things will go.

Best analysis I have seen.

I feel he's more a Flacco level talent (which is to say not quite at Ryan's level in my opinion) but doesn't have Flacco's arm strength which was elite.
So he's nothing like Flacco?

Get back with me when you find somewhere that says Flavco ever ran below a 5 flat 40, never mind a 4.58.

Last edited:
So he's nothing like Flaccid?

Get back with me when you find somewhere that says Flavco ever ran below a 5 flat 40, never mind a 4.58.

Go to 1:10 of this video and watch the break away from the sack and run after contact.

Matt Ryan Scrambles for 13 yard TD.

Now Flacco walking in molasses for a 38 yard touchdown I still can’t believe happened.

BTW Flacco ran a 4.84 40 which was faster than Ryan, but IMO Ryan definitely was fleeter of foot at BC and ATL than Flacco at Delaware and Baltimore.

Sheesh. Nobody TOLD me. His name was brought up upthread. If somebody thinks Eli is the level to compare Mills to, well, that's not a very good level to be at. As I've said, Eli wasn't even Schaub at his peak good.
Yeah, that isn't true at all.. I'll take the career Eli had out of Mills while hoping for more, but if that's his floor.. Where do I sign.

Schaub in his best years wasn't better than Eli either.

Last edited:
Why does a average QB (see last years stats) wid arms that looks like noodles........... get respect far?

122334.gif

And NO!!! don't show me no highlight reel neither! How bout them 1000 passes when that ball looks like a duck drunk and wobblely :D

Like telling Will Fuller...... Hey Will if you just ate 10 more burgers you might not have been so fragile.

Last edited:

Almost every NFL analyst would beg to differ b/c they chose to watch and analyze his last 5 games. It appears you may have not had the chance to watch those final 5 games……you owe to yourself to give them a watch. His improvement from Game 3 to Game 13 to Game 17 was substantial. This is why so many folks like him coming into the 2022 season. I expect to see Mills make another sound step in his development if the running game arrives and the new offense finds a way to involve the TE’s and SWR’s.

Almost every NFL analyst would beg to differ b/c they chose to watch and analyze his last 5 games. It appears you may have not had the chance to watch those final 5 games……you owe to yourself to give them a watch. His improvement from Game 3 to Game 13 to Game 17 was substantial. This is why so many folks like him coming into the 2022 season. I expect to see Mills make another sound step in his development if the running game arrives and the new offense finds a way to involve the TE’s and SWR’s.
I mentioned in another thread I would have liked a quality TE added to the roster but that prolly won't happen until next off season now.
Still got some holes to fill yet...

I mentioned in another thread I would have liked a quality TE added to the roster but that prolly won't happen until next off season now.
Still got some holes to fill yet...

I got a feeling TE, Brevin Jordan is going to make his NFL splash this season. If they truly incorporate the TE…..Jordan definitely has the talent to make the best of it.

Yeah, that isn't true at all.. I'll take the career Eli had out of Mills while hoping for more, but if that's his floor.. Where do I sign.

Schaub in his best years wasn't better than Eli either.

Eli - 60.3% completions, 4.5/3 TD/INT, 7.0 Y/A, 84.1 PR
Schaub - 64.2% completion, 4.1/2.7 TD/INT, 7.6 Y/A, 89.5 PR

Eli from his 1st PB season to his last (08-15);
61.2%, 4.9/3.1 TD/INT, 7.4 Y/A, 87.7 PR
Schaub from 08-12;
64.9%, 4.4/2.3 TD/INT, 7.9 Y/A, 94.0 PR

87.7 PR would have not only been 22nd in the league last year, but it would have been behind Mills 88.8.

Schaub had a 90+ PR 5 years in a row. Eli did it back-2-back seasons just once, and 5 times total in his career. If Mills floor is Eli, I'll pass and keep searching. I mean, that will be fine until you find a QB, but that's not franchise material IMO. Eli Manning was not good.

I've watched every damn game they've ever played, thank you very much. Mills stats were markedly improved in his 2nd stint as opposed to his 1st. I've mentioned it several times in the past. His PR in the last half of the season was over 100 IIRC. They went from scoring 10 points per game to over 20.

Mills very well could continue to improve, but even if that's the case, it doesn't mean it will translate to wins. They won 4 games the season before with the passing yards leader. Mills also has some tape on him now. Sophomore slumps happen for a reason. We'll see if the adjustments can be made.

That’s only because Mahomes (man with more integrity and dignity) opted to sit the last game of the regular season out. Derapist’s fans love to forget that small detail.

:toropalm:
And then there's fans who totally miss the point.

Schaub from 08-12;

87.7 PR would have not only been 22nd in the league last year, but it would have been behind Mills 88.8.

Schaub had a 90+ PR 5 years in a row. Eli did it back-2-back seasons just once, and 5 times total in his career. If Mills floor is Eli, I'll pass and keep searching. I mean, that will be fine until you find a QB, but that's not franchise material IMO. Eli Manning was not good.

I've watched every damn game they've ever played, thank you very much. Mills stats were markedly improved in his 2nd stint as opposed to his 1st. I've mentioned it several times in the past. His PR in the last half of the season was over 100 IIRC. They went from scoring 10 points per game to over 20.

Mills very well could continue to improve, but even if that's the case, it doesn't mean it will translate to wins. They won 4 games the season before with the passing yards leader. Mills also has some tape on him now. Sophomore slumps happen for a reason. We'll see if the adjustments can be made.

No, I get what you’re saying. A good QB means nothing if the team as a whole sucks. (Or vice versa) I just had to throw a little jab at the blind sexual predator fans. Not at you in anyway. You know, text tone…

Last edited:

Schaub from 08-12;

Mills should be better in his sophomore season since he's played so little. For every guy that's suffered a sophomore slump I can point to many more that have played much better in their 2nd seasons. It's like you're rooting for Mills to fail, in your quest to be right. Are Lawrence/Wilson/Fields going to suffer sophomore slumps? If they do they're going to be historically bad.

Coming up clutch is the most important thing. Eli came up clutch on the biggest stage. Schaub folded like a cheap tent. A bunch of useless stats cant quantify this.

True, context does matter, or course you fail to understand the general context of the difference between a bunch of useless stats and winning QB play. I get why this is, things tend to end up this way when posters spend a bunch of time crunching stats they tend to lose sight of what's most important. W/L's.

How bout them 1000 passes when that ball looks like a duck drunk and wobblely :D
I’m not going to say there weren’t any ducks. All QBs throw a duck from time to time. I don’t believe Mills did more frequently than others.

I like everything about the way Mills throws the football. His mechanics, the way it leaves his hands, & especially his anticipation & placement. I don’t think he has the strongest arm in the league. But he knows what he has & how to use it.

I was making a comparison of their talent as passers, which I should have specified.
I think they're similar in passing talent overall but Flacco had more arm strength.

Agreed, and Mills appears to be the better athlete and process faster. To say his arm isn't as strong as Flacco's isn't a slight of Mills. Flacco has one of the strongest arms in the NFL still today.

Back