Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

David Johnson... welcome to houston

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Not his fault BO'b is a dumass. If you're a glutton for punishment & haven't given up on the Texans, let's hope DJ has his best season ever.
If he does, then the Texans will have won this trade. Johnson was an all pro level RB that could do it all 3 yrs ago.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He just fell out of favor with the regime change in Arizona is all that really happened to him. was just basically just a 1000 yard 7 TD rusher in 2018 with Josh Rosen at Qb.

The last time he played with a competent qb anywhere close to DW4’s caliber (Carson Palmer) he was an all pro.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
He just fell out of favor with the regime change in Arizona is all that really happened to him. was just basically just a 1000 yard 7 TD rusher in 2018 with Josh Rosen at Qb.

The last time he played with a competent qb anywhere close to DW4’s caliber (Carson Palmer) he was an all pro.
Johnson averaged 3.6 ypc the past 2 seasons. All other Arizona RBs over the same span? 4.6 ypc. Dude is done. And the Texans are paying the back end of a very bad contract.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
No other team in the NFL would have taken on David Johnson's contract, $12.3 million still guaranteed. Arizona would have cut Johnson. Then, taken that dead cap hit of $16 million. And Johnson would have done backflips all the way to NRG if offered half of that as a FA.

So even if Johnson has a solid, comeback year as a Texan, it was a bad trade. The Texans should have received draft pick compensation from the Cards for alleviating that cap hit. Or, made the Cards pay have of the remaining guarantee. None of that happened. And when you take into account the pitiful compensation received for an All Pro WR, this has to be worst trade based on value in recent memory.

texanhead08

All Pro
It all comes down to the other GM's lick their chops when it comes to making trades with the Texans because OB has no damn clue what a players value is and he either overpays or gets pennies on the dollars when he sends a player somewhere (Clowney, Hopkins)

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
No other team in the NFL would have taken on David Johnson's contract, $12.3 million still guaranteed. Arizona would have cut Johnson. Then, taken that dead cap hit of $16 million. And Johnson would have done backflips all the way to NRG if offered half of that as a FA.

So even if Johnson has a solid, comeback year as a Texan, it was a bad trade. The Texans should have received draft pick compensation from the Cards for alleviating that cap hit. Or, made the Cards pay have of the remaining guarantee. None of that happened. And when you take into account the pitiful compensation received for an All Pro WR, this has to be worst trade based on value in recent memory.
Reminds me of last year when they traded Clowney and took on more deadweight salary of Barkevious Mingo AND paid 7 million to send away Clowney. It was nuts then, but apparently it's now a trend.

Texansballer74

The Marine

It was a desperate and very emotional move by Obrien.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Reminds me of last year when they traded Clowney and took on more deadweight salary of Barkevious Mingo AND paid 7 million to send away Clowney. It was nuts then, but apparently it's now a trend.
The Texans don't have a single qualified personnel guy left in the building. Who does O'Brien have to bounce trades off of? Prayer Boy? Flat Org Cal? Why should we expect anything but dysfunction from this group?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So you’re saying we (knee jerkers) are under valuing David Johnson in this trade. & if we feed him the way we’ve fed Hyde & Miller the last couple of years he might take some of the load off DW4.

ok. I’m easy. Sold.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Don't agree with any of the crap I have seen over the past few days, it's like I'm in bizarro world, but this guy didn't cause that so hoping DJ leads the league in rushing and all-purpose yards this year

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Hmmm... what did we get for Nuk again?
Come on man, you weren’t talking about the Hop trade. The post I quote insinuated that we traded a 2 for Stills and in fact we traded a 2 and got Stills and a high 4th. There’s plenty to be pissed at OB about being completely accurate, we don’t need to overstate his buffoonery

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Come on man, you weren’t talking about the Hop trade. The post I quote insinuated that we traded a 2 for Stills and in fact we traded a 2 and got Stills and a high 4th. There’s plenty to be pissed at OB about being completely accurate, we don’t need to overstate his buffoonery
My point was the deal OB paid to get Stills, a WR3, vs what he got for arguably the best WR in the game. It’s all pretty bad.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
If he does, then the Texans will have won this trade. Johnson was an all pro level RB that could do it all 3 yrs ago.
I think the Texans lost this trade, no matter what happens tomorrow. I'm all for acquiring David Johnson. I can deal with trading Nuk. But you MUST get proper value at THAT time. The Diggs trade shows that the Texans didn't get proper value.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think the Texans lost this trade, no matter what happens tomorrow. I'm all for acquiring David Johnson. I can deal with trading Nuk. But you MUST get proper value at THAT time. The Diggs trade shows that the Texans didn't get proper value.
An all pro David Johnson and #40 would be close in trade value. He was a stud. A perfect fit in this offense.

Unfortunately those days seem to be a thing of the past.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
An all pro David Johnson and #40 would be close in trade value. He was a stud. A perfect fit in this offense.

Unfortunately those days seem to be a thing of the past.
I could agree with that. Unfortunately, All-Pro DJ was 4 seasons ago, and hasn't surpassed 1000 yards rushing since. DJ wasn't even the starter for his team last season, and wasn't in plans to start next season. Everyone knew the Cards were looking to dump his contract.

On TOP of that... we are taking DJ's FULL contract AND we threw in a 4th round pick! WTF!?!?! This was a bad deal, regardless of what these players & draft picks turn out to be.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could agree with that. Unfortunately, All-Pro DJ was 4 seasons ago, and hasn't surpassed 1000 yards rushing since. DJ wasn't even the starter for his team last season, and wasn't in plans to start next season. Everyone knew the Cards were looking to dump his contract.

On TOP of that... we are taking DJ's FULL contract AND we threw in a 4th round pick! WTF!?!?! This was a bad deal, regardless of what these players & draft picks turn out to be.
They did get a 2021 4th back.

It's still a bad deal.

Texansballer74

The Marine
This is no damn where close to the value of Nuk. GTFOH with that lame duck crap. This was by far the worst trade in sports history. The majority of the sports world is given the Texans and Bill O’Brien the business right now.

Johnson barely played last season and lost his starting spot. He’s not a darn perfect fit any darn where.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is no damn where close to the value of Nuk. GTFOH with that lame duck crap. This was by far the worst trade in sports history. The majority of the sports world is given the Texans and Bill O’Brien the business right now.

Johnson barely played last season and lost his starting spot. He’s not a darn perfect fit any darn where.
We would have been better off signing a FA RB or maybe draft one.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Major overreaction

Herschel Walker trade says hi.