Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Warren Moon spent 4 years in college before the CFL... the only thing that kept him from being drafted into the NFL was the color of his skin

Very aware of Moon's success at Washington and subsequent Rose Bowl victory for his final hurrah. NFL wanted him to convert to DB and Moon wanted to remain a QB so he turned his attention to the CFL where the Eskimos enjoyed his services for 6 seasons and 5 CFL Championships. Unfortunately, Hugh Campbell didn't enjoy the same results.

This is exactly the reason I want to take some of these athletes away from the greedy little hands of CFB. Baseball does it and basketball in a roundabout way. Go after those HS athletes who want to play football first and foremost and give them a new league where they can compete and get paid. Athletes who want a college degree would certainly stay path in attending college and playing football. So, universities/colleges will still have.....key word, "student/athletes, playing football and working towards a degree. Athletes in the new league would get to focus on football 24/7 and eventually be an UFA to sign with any NFL team of their choice.....I guess that could be one silver lining, circumventing the NFL Draft. Didn't Warren Moon take this same route to the NFL as an UFA from the CFL? Houston Oilers won the bidding war.

When guys don't make it in the minors there will be cries of these guys being taken advantage of and racism.

I love the draft, it gives teams like the Texans a chance to build a championship team. You could still have a minor league system and keep the draft.

Last edited:
When guys don't make it in the minors there will be cries of these guys being taken advantage of and racism.

I love the draft, it gives teams lol like the Texans a chance to build a championship team. You could still have a minor league system and keep the draft.

I mentioned this in the past. All it would take is a few of the top athletes to bypass CFB, sign with the new league, enjoy success, and then have a bidding war ensue for their services at the NFL level.....thus arriving to NFL camp with a better contract than the current CFB eligible athletes. You got to wonder just how long the NFL would wait to knock out some kind of endorsement contract with the new league.....closet thing since an NFL merger.

I mentioned this in the past. All it would take is a few of the top athletes to bypass CFB, sign with the new league, enjoy success, and then have a bidding war ensue for their services at the NFL level.....thus arriving to NFL camp with a better contract than the current CFB eligible athletes. You got to wonder just how long the NFL would wait to knock out some kind of endorsement contract with the new league.....closet thing since an NFL merger.
Like the UDFA's are doing now? Their pay wouldn't be any better and certainly wouldn't approach what drafted players are getting now

Who would invest in this new league? The NFL certainly wont, college football is currently a free minor league system for them.

Reactions: JB
Like the UDFA's are doing now? Their pay wouldn't be any better and certainly wouldn't approach what drafted players are getting now

HS athletes haven't been paid legally during their HS career. CFB athletes are not legally paid neither. CFB players who didn't make the cut in camps and wanted to extend their playing time have these summer leagues that pop up but never really sustain b/c the players make it more of an afterthought. The pay is okay if the alternative is not getting paid to play football. Giving HS football players an option would be interesting.

Who would invest in this new league? The NFL certainly wont, college football is currently a free minor league system for them.

....to the schools only. They keep all the revenue, and don't really care if the athletes use that scholarship money or not. Bottom line, they just want butts in the seats and folks buying everything from the school shops. Man, no one has ever challenged CFB and it's not like it couldn't be done. Challenging the NFL has proven to be fruitless and a massive waste of money. Challenging CFB for HS athletes may be the low hanging fruit.

HS athletes haven't been paid legally during their HS career. CFB athletes are not legally paid neither. CFB players who didn't make the cut in camps and wanted to extend their playing time have these summer leagues that pop up but never really sustain b/c the players make it more of an afterthought. The pay is okay if the alternative is not getting paid to play football. Giving HS football players an option would be interesting.
Bolded is not true any longer. If a HS player isn't good enough to get a scholarship, why would the NFL be interested? Who is going to coach those kids? Who is going to pay those coaches?. This sounds like yet another Utopian dream of yours

Bolded is not true any longer. If a HS player isn't good enough to get a scholarship, why would the NFL be interested? Who is going to coach those kids? Who is going to pay those coaches?. This sounds like yet another Utopian dream of yours

You got to get outside that tiny box you keep yourself in. Dexter Manley was one of the examples given in this or another conversation. DM could’ve avoided the embarrassment of playing for Oklahoma State, while being completely illiterate, if an alternate route to continuing football at a higher level had been available. He was an illiterate monster in the NFL who obviously had enough ability to learn his responsibilities in the Redskins defense. Something tells me there’s plenty of other athlete like or not as bad as DM be used by CFB who might like an alternate opportunity.

Utopian dreams are leagues who continue to convince themselves that they can compete with the NFL during the summer. It hasn’t never worked, but damm if they don’t try and live the dream…..then that thump/thud is them falling out of bed and back to reality.

Last edited:
You got to get outside that tiny box you keep yourself in. Dexter Manley was the example
Manley was an example of what,? He would not have been able to read with or without college.

He made the most of the opportunity he was given in life.

Manley was an example of what,? He would not have been able to read with or without college.

He made the most of the opportunity he was given in life.

That a talent like Manley could’ve got to the NFL via college or an alternate league. By the way, Manley’s moment of reckoning came when he was standing on the sideline and Theismann’s leg was snapped in half. Made him finally realize….what would I do if my career came to an end on one play? He made a life changing decision to become literate and in my opinion, saved him.

That a talent like Manley could’ve got to the NFL via college or an alternate league. By the way, Manley’s moment of reckoning came when he was standing on the sideline and Theismann’s leg was snapped in half. Made him finally realize….what would I do if my career came to an end on one play? He made a life changing decision to become literate and in my opinion, saved him.
It's a personal decision.

I'm very happy for Manley.

Caleb Williams is impressive.
Someone's getting gold in the 2024 draft.
I am gambling that we can use our two round ones in 2024 if necessary to get him. After watching Caserio this draft of 2022 we know he likes to trade around. I can see us ending up with three to four round ones in 2022 and 2 to 3 pics in round two. His stats are extremely good but I am still hoping Davis Mills can be the guy.

I am gambling that we can use our two round ones in 2024 if necessary to get him. After watching Caserio this draft of 2022 we know he likes to trade around. I can see us ending up with three to four round ones in 2022 and 2 to 3 pics in round two. His stats are extremely good but I am still hoping Davis Mills can be the guy.
Like everything else, there is good and bad and I see Caserby's trading around as being more on the bad side. It's still way too early but not sure why a team with the #1 pick would want to trade the pick with Caleb Williams available. Would you?

Is Jimbo Fisher not who many thought he is or wanted him to be? This is his 5th year with recruiting clasess in the Top 10 so he has no excuses. I noted back at the NFL Combine how many of the Aggies at the Combine underperformed athletically compared to many other athletes at the Combine.

It looks like the Aggies are getting physically manhandled in their games and why they also often underperform on the football field. A change in Aggie's Strength and Conditioning should be in order or Jimbo's seat is going to get a lot hotter.

Like everything else, there is good and bad and I see Caserby's trading around as being more on the bad side. It's still way too early but not sure why a team with the #1 pick would want to trade the pick with Caleb Williams available. Would you?
Sure a team with no need for a QB. 2023 for example: Jets, Jags possibly Texans, Lions and Atlanta could draft QB or think they have greater need.

Is Jimbo Fisher not who many thought he is or wanted him to be? This is his 5th year with recruiting clasess in the Top 10 so he has no excuses. I noted back at the NFL Combine how many of the Aggies at the Combine underperformed athletically compared to many other athletes at the Combine.

It looks like the Aggies are getting physically manhandled in their games and why they also often underperform on the football field. A change in Aggie's Strength and Conditioning should be in order or Jimbo's seat is going to get a lot hotter.

That's what stood out to me during the parts of the game I watched. App State dominated on the line of scrimmage on multiple plays I saw.

7 different QBs threw a pass for Harbaugh's Wolverines today
i
Michigan Passing
C/ATTYDSAVGTDINT
J.J. McCarthy15/1821411.900
Alan Bowman1/12020.010
Cade McNamara1/11818.000
Brandon Mann1/177.000
Alex Orji1/155.000
Davis Warren1/252.500
Andy Maddox1/144.000
Team0/100.000
TEAM21/2627310.510

Watching Miami vs Texas A&M. Miami appears to be controlling both lines of scrimmage. The Canes look better conditioned and stronger at point of attack. This could get ugly by the 4th quarter.

#13 Miami- 9
#24 Aggies-17
The only thing I saw ugly was a questionable targeting call
Well, I do have to give props where props are due. You're one heckuva of a Monday Morning Quarterback and you also make a tremendous Troll.

• Haha
It's like looking in a mirror for you huh?
No, I actually made the comment during the first quarter, NOT after the game was over. Opinions, after the games are over, are how Monday Morning Quarterbacking works.

Includes comment about Odell Beckham Jr.

ESPN: NCAA places LSU football on probation, accepts school's self-imposed penalties over recruiting violations.

Includes comment about Odell Beckham Jr.

ESPN: NCAA places LSU football on probation, accepts school's self-imposed penalties over recruiting violations.

They sure weren't that lenient with Texas schools and their self-imposed penalties. Maybe the Texas schools offered to write 1,000 times...."We are sorry and will not commit any further recruiting violations".

What are your thoughts on Brock Bowers?
Best total package TE since Gronk. To bad he won't be draft eligible until 2024. A top 10 pick. IMHO

I like his teammates Darnell Washington as an all around guy and if you want a TE that can get down the seam and is a big target Gilbert is that guy. If he hadn't switched schools so many times he would be a 1st rd lock in the Pitts mode. I'm hoping one of these guys falls to the late 2nd and Caserio trades up and drafts one of them.

Back