Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Idea for Big 16 pods:

West: AZ, AZ State, Utah, BYU
Central: Colorado, OSU, Kansas, KSU
Texas: Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston
East: ISU, Cincy, WVU, UCF

Really wild that Utah, AZ, AZ St, and Colorado all got on board. Utah and Colorado bring some nice juice to the BIG 16.

Obviously, there are only 2 REAL conferences now. Not sure what it means for the future, but I always supported a European soccer like multi-tiered league system for college football with promotion and relegation...
2?

Obviously, there are only 2 REAL conferences now. Not sure what it means for the future, but I always supported a European soccer like multi-tiered league system for college football with promotion and relegation...

This is far too worthwhile an idea for the current state of college football to have any hope at all of ever seeing the light of day.

Tier 1 are the current best 14-ish (or more, idk) teams in the country (not sure how that's initially decided, but harder problems have been solved) and they compete for a national title.

Tier 2 compete to get into Tier 1.

Tier 3 compete to get into Tier 2, and etc, etc all the way down..

Two or three winning teams from each lower tier have a chance to play a postseason game against a losing team from each upper tier to see who gets to stay or go. Real meritocracy.

The bowl system is then used for college football playoff games and pro/rel games between tiers. Imagine that, a whole bowl season of hugely relevant games with every school and fanbase heavily invested in the outcome.

Imagine a Boise St. or Utah that can genuinely try to find out how high they can really climb. A Vanderbilt or Indiana that don't get to stay in a cush conference 'just cause', they have to continually earn it.

I think it'd be fun to do more than just imagine that.

I think it's the SEC and BIG 10.

2024 BIG 10 (21)
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers

Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Nebraska

Washinton
Oregon
USC
UCLA
**Washington State**
**Oregon State**
**Stanford**

I'd fully expect the new BIG 21 to add another 3 Western based schools.....maybe Stanford, Washington State, and Oregon State to complete the takeover of the PAC 12.

SEC or SEC 16
Alabama
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Auburn

Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Florida
Missouri
Vanderbilt

My guess.....SEC is going to go shopping in the ACC and pull Clemson and Florida State into the conference. That could give them a total of 18 schools. Maybe they try to add 2 more schools for a grand total of 20 and modify their conference to four (5) team divisions. The SEC could easily hand pick (4) more schools.

The BIG 12 could start hand picking the leftovers from the ACC to try and be the 3rd super conference. The biggest prize for the BIG 12, or any other conference for that matter, should the ACC blowup....would be Notre Dame, if they decide to join a conference. If the super conferences squeeze out all the other conferences....Notre Dame may have to step away from their tradition of being an independent and gain a conference affiliation.

I think it's the SEC and BIG 10.

2024 BIG 10 (21)
Ohio State
Michigan
Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Maryland
Rutgers

Wisconsin
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Northwestern
Purdue
Nebraska

Washinton
Oregon
USC
UCLA
**Washington State**
**Oregon State**
**Stanford**

I'd fully expect the new BIG 21 to add another 3 Western based schools.....maybe Stanford, Washington State, and Oregon State to complete the takeover of the PAC 12.

SEC or SEC 16
Alabama
LSU
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Auburn

Georgia
Tennessee
South Carolina
Kentucky
Florida
Missouri
Vanderbilt

My guess.....SEC is going to go shopping in the ACC and pull Clemson and Florida State into the conference. That could give them a total of 18 schools. Maybe they try to add 2 more schools for a grand total of 20 and modify their conference to four (5) team divisions. The SEC could easily hand pick (4) more schools.

The BIG 12 could start hand picking the leftovers from the ACC to try and be the 3rd super conference. The biggest prize for the BIG 12, or any other conference for that matter, should the ACC blowup....would be Notre Dame, if they decide to join a conference. If the super conferences squeeze out all the other conferences....Notre Dame may have to step away from their tradition of being an independent and gain a conference affiliation.
These mega conferences are an absolute joke. Why are Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, and a handful of other so so schools claiming to compete in football with Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State? Ditto the SEC with Vandy, South Carolina, Missouri, and others. It's a stretch to find 10 teams in each conference that can legitimately compete for the title. This sport is eating itself alive. Wake me up when Alabama plays Georgia and Ohio State meets Michigan. Otherwise, I'm just looking at who's covering the spread.

USC at Rutgers?
Indiana at Oregon?

Back in the day the Falcons and Rams were in the same division and the Braves were in the NL West with the Giants, Dodgers and Padres.

USC at Rutgers?
Indiana at Oregon?

Back in the day the Falcons and Rams were in the same division and the Braves were in the NL West with the Giants, Dodgers and Padres.
In a time where companies are concerned with their carbon footprint, bigtime college football says "Who cares? As long as I get a bigger bag."

This is an absolute must-read for anyone following college football!!!!!!!!!!

Meet the man who thinks he 'screwed up' college football with a Supreme Court win
Andrew Coats, the lawyer who convinced the Supreme Court in 1984 to allow universities to maximize football revenue, leading to a sweeping upheaval today, looks back with regret on the landmark case he successfully argued.

Aug. 26, 2023, 8:11 AM CDT
By David K. Li

As a century-old college sports conference teeters on the brink of extinction and student-athletes brace for exhaustive cross-country travel, the attorney arguably responsible for these drastic changes says he's not particularly happy about it at all.

Andrew Coats, the lawyer who convinced the U.S. Supreme Court in 1984 to allow universities to maximize football revenue, leading to a television-driven money-grab and today's sweeping upheaval, now looks back with regret on the landmark case he successfully argued.

“I think I screwed up college football across the board, because I think the case did it,” Coats recently told NBC News, reflecting on his role in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma.

America’s highest court ruled in favor of Coats' clients and said that the governing body of intercollegiate athletics couldn’t restrain the trade rights of schools and their conferences.

Now, the once-stable world of college football has turned into a near-nonstop swap meet in which universities constantly change conference affiliations, seeking more lucrative TV contracts. As a result, the Pac-12, a 108-year-old conference, will be reduced to four schools, and likely dissolve altogether.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Human interest story:

Like so many others, Daniels took an unforgettable toll from COVID-19. But the star quarterback is coming to terms with his grief and learning how to cope in h...

Back