Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

College Football Random Thought of the Day

trading down this year in the hopes of Caleb/Maye next year is tempting...but aren't you concerned Tampa & Arizona will be worse than us?

As long as Lovie's the HC not at all.

Arizona is tied to Murray

There are 2 QB's that I really like, I'm sure there will be another 1-2 that will prove worth of 1st rd QB consideration. There always are.

As long as Lovie's the HC not at all.

Lovie's stubborn steadiness, the continuity of his regime, plus the infusion of youth from last yr's draft and the next (assuming Metch, Green et al are healthy) could net 4 to 5 wins with Mills at qb
IMO...i see other teams being worse

Arizona is tied to Murray

Fair. They're really screwed.
Although...if in possession of the 1st pick, they'll take Caleb and figure the rest out.

There are 2 QB's that I really like, I'm sure there will be another 1-2 that will prove worth of 1st rd QB consideration. There always are.

Except for this draft?
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Stroud missing his Smith, the TE, and Harrison getting hurt and still put up a 40 piece against a top defense showed what most people have seen all year. He has a plus arm and top end accuracy. When he decides to run, he's effective. I like Caleb alot only because he's a better foot athlete. I like the processor of Young whom a year ago everyone couldn't wait to draft. Maye needs more seasoning, but he's a top flight prospect although he walks into sacks. All in all, I'm drafting my qb this year and I can figure out the rest later with the extra picks. As we all know, someone is going to rise up the boards and someone will go down the draft board. We don't know who yet, but it happens every year. I really think Tyree Wilson will be there for Browns pick and Hyatt there at bottom of 1st. That would be my move.

Lovie's stubborn steadiness, the continuity of his regime, plus the infusion of youth from last yr's draft and the next (assuming Metch, Green et al are healthy) could net 4 to 5 wins with Mills at qb
IMO...i see other teams being worse

Fair. They're really screwed.
Although...if in possession of the 1st pick, they'll take Caleb and figure the rest out.

Except for this draft?
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Depends on if that bird craps in your hand.

What's the point of drafting a QB 1-1 if you cant win a championship with him? No QB Young's size Ht/Weight has ever won a SB.

Stroud missing his Smith, the TE, and Harrison getting hurt and still put up a 40 piece against a top defense showed what most people have seen all year. He has a plus arm and top end accuracy. When he decides to run, he's effective. I like Caleb alot only because he's a better foot athlete. I like the processor of Young whom a year ago everyone couldn't wait to draft. Maye needs more seasoning, but he's a top flight prospect although he walks into sacks. All in all, I'm drafting my qb this year and I can figure out the rest later with the extra picks. As we all know, someone is going to rise up the boards and someone will go down the draft board. We don't know who yet, but it happens every year. I really think Tyree Wilson will be there for Browns pick and Hyatt there at bottom of 1st. That would be my move.

Not everyone

At the combine Russ measured 5'11" and 204 lbs- Young will be right around 5'11" and at least 190

Are some of us over playing what an inch and 15 lbs can mean or are some of us underestimating what an inch and 15 lbs can mean?

Are some of us over playing what an inch and 15 lbs can mean or are some of us underestimating what an inch and 15 lbs can mean?
It could mean anything or it could mean nothing...
why put in the inch?

1 inch and 15 pounds is going from Josh Allen to Joe Burrow.

That's not a deal breaker for Burrow, he's plenty big enough to go week in and week out obviously, but it's a legit difference.

If we went from a supposed Bryce Young (5'11 190) to 5'10 175 I imagine that's a deal breaker for anyone.

Maybe Bryce is the schrodingers cat for nfl qb height/weight and we're just gonna have to see what's in that box.

I still don't get how 5'11 204 is short but 5'11 190 is tiny

I personally believe both are short, relative to the demands of the position.

204 is hardly big, relative as well. It's adequate.

And so following the scale downward I don't think it's a reach to consider 190 'small' at best and 'tiny' - again, relatively speaking - at worst.

15 pounds at the same height is a fairly significant decrease - like I was trying to illustrate in my above post - particularly the smaller the comparative sizes are. The question here is whether 205 to 190 is the kind of decrease that a guy of Young's talent/skill can hang week in and week out with.

Reactions: JB
At the combine Russ measured 5'11" and 204 lbs- Young will be right around 5'11" and at least 190

15 lbs is quite a bit.

Plus I consider Wilson's NFL success to be an outlier.

Obviously you look at things like if it's been done before then Young can do it too. That's way to big of a risk at 1-1 for my taste.

15 lbs is quite a bit.

Plus I consider Wilson's NFL success to be an outlier.

Obviously you look at things like if it's been done before then Young can do it too. That's way to big of a risk at 1-1 for my taste.
I would prefer a different direction but unfortunately I think a QB will be selected. You're hoping it's Young and I would be okay with that or with Stroud and will support whoever they take. You have made it clear that you will not support any QB they take this year

I would prefer a different direction but unfortunately I think a QB will be selected. You're hoping it's Young and I would be okay with that or with Stroud and will support whoever they take. You have made it clear that you will not support any QB they take this year
I've said I will support any QB they pick.

I wonder how that is going to go. Would that mean more stars will opt out of playoff games in case they get hurt before them draft

The players that would opt out is the players that would opt out of their bowl games anyway. Won't see much difference there unless it's fewer players opting out

The players that would opt out is the players that would opt out of their bowl games anyway. Won't see much difference there unless it's fewer players opting out
I think it will be fewer, because 8 more teams will be playing for a championship. Players will continue to opt out of the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, and such. And I can't say I blame them.

I've been wondering something for years now. As we've seen college football change from the system in place when I was a kid I wonder how long before it's going to simply become a formal contract (if ever)? It was "You get a scholarship, we own your ass for four years and make tons of money off of you and then if you're good enough you can make your money in the NFL" and now they can be paid, transfer to other schools, opt out of games because it's dangerous (and I totally understand what's at risk for them) but at some point will we see contracts in place that require them to play in these playoff games? Will it just become (formally) a minor league system very loosely related to education at all? I'm not even sure that would be a bad idea at this point. I watched a UH Cougar speaking on TV during the Big12 event the other day and the man could barely speak coherently. I wonder if we'll see a future where they pay players outright and getting a degree is entirely optional for those players.

• Sad
Reactions: JB
I've been wondering something for years now. As we've seen college football change from the system in place when I was a kid I wonder how long before it's going to simply become a formal contract (if ever)? It was "You get a scholarship, we own your ass for four years and make tons of money off of you and then if you're good enough you can make your money in the NFL" and now they can be paid, transfer to other schools, opt out of games because it's dangerous (and I totally understand what's at risk for them) but at some point will we see contracts in place that require them to play in these playoff games? Will it just become (formally) a minor league system very loosely related to education at all? I'm not even sure that would be a bad idea at this point. I watched a UH Cougar speaking on TV during the Big12 event the other day and the man could barely speak coherently. I wonder if we'll see a future where they pay players outright and getting a degree is entirely optional for those players.

The NCAA needs to provide a standard contract for all players that sign, the contract says we will pay you X amount of money and provide you an education. This contract includes a clause that says you have to play for atleast 3 yrs including all bowl games.

The NCAA needs to provide a standard contract for all players that sign, the contract says we will pay you X amount of money and provide you an education. This contract includes a clause that says you have to play for atleast 3 yrs including all bowl games.

I don’t see CFB ever doing this…..b/c they own a monopoly over HS football talent.

I think the XFL, and/or USFL would stand a better chance at success if they would swing their focus to CFB and their monopoly on HS talent. The old AFL successfully challenged the NFL and eventually won a merger b/c at that time, they could afford to go after the same CFB talent while giving them a more up-tempo offensive/defensive option. That’s never going to happen today b/c of the money the NFL pays its athletes along with their television rights allows them to block competition.

CFB has had the luxury of being the NFL’s minor league system with zero competition. CFB is seriously fool of themselves.

As for the XFL/USFL….they should merge, start signing HS football players who’d like to focus on football and their ultimate NFL dream 24/7 for a minimum of 2-3 years, and pay them a reasonable base salary for their service. I wouldn’t hesitate to offer players a profit sharing program for apparel sales that feature their names. This could be a new angle in potentially gaining another merger with the NFL for a functioning developmental league.

Last edited:
They would have to give a full scholarship to all that signed contracts
As for the XFL/USFL….they should merge, start signing HS football players who’d like to focus on football and their ultimate NFL dream 24/7 for a minimum of 2-3 years, and pay them a reasonable base salary for their service. I wouldn’t hesitate to offer players a profit sharing program for apparel sales that feature their names. This could be a new angle in potentially gaining another merger with the NFL for a functioning developmental league.
This would only work if they had 2 levels or otherwise protect the kids that hadn't matured. 17&18 years old aren't capable to go up against 24-25 years old consistently. Injuries would greatly increase
and many of those will never make the NFL or even USFL/XFL level... and why dilute the talent level that much? They'd be slicing their own throats

Got nothing better to do....

The Ohio State stickers represent the leaves of the buckeye, a species of tree native to North America. Players receive buckeye stickers for exceptional play. Specifically, each player receives a sticker for a win, two stickers for a win in a conference game, and three stickers for a win over Michigan

Ohio-State-helmet-1.jpg

I think it will be fewer, because 8 more teams will be playing for a championship. Players will continue to opt out of the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, and such. And I can't say I blame them.

At what point do players say enough is enough? Over the years the number of games per year has increased. In 2024', it's possible that a team that reaches the playoff championship game will have played 16 games! I gotta think a player's union is going to be created and that players are going to demand (and rightly so) their slice of the pie, which should be substantial.

Garrett related to Lincoln Riley.

Clemson's offense struggled at times in 2022 and freshman QB Cade Klubnik accounted for 74 of the team's plays in his first start in the Orange Bowl.

I think Klubnik is going to be a really good QB!

Brown reportedly died on his way to class.

The mother of an Ohio State true freshman was killed in a drive-by shooting in Chicago. Just a horrible thing to happen.

At what point do players say enough is enough? Over the years the number of games per year has increased. In 2024', it's possible that a team that reaches the playoff championship game will have played 16 games! I gotta think a player's union is going to be created and that players are going to demand (and rightly so) their slice of the pie, which should be substantial.
South Dakota State played 15 games last year in winning the FCS Championship. The FCS playoffs are a 24 team field. Never have heard a complaint from any FCS team.

Back