Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

College Football Random Thought of the Day

Checking on the Bowl schedule this morning, I don't find anything to watch in the early Bowls. The first game I find of interest is on the 28th, the Liberty Bowl with Arkansas vs Kansas.

Arkansas has that Center prospect Steelb likes so much, Ricky Stromberg.

Am I missing anything with the earlier games?

Checking on the Bowl schedule this morning, I don't find anything to watch in the early Bowls. The first game I find of interest is on the 28th, the Liberty Bowl with Arkansas vs Kansas.

Arkansas has that Center prospect Steelb likes so much, Ricky Stromberg.

Am I missing anything with the earlier games?

You can include me on the Stromberg list. I also like C- John Michael-Schmitz of Minnesota. In a worse case scenario….and it’s not a bad one by any means, I’d have no problem selecting the Michigan duo of C- Olusegun Oluwatimi and RG- Zak Zinter a little later.

I'm 30 miles from the Alamodome and the Longhorns on the 29th (I think), but I'm gonna watch from home. The Alamodome sucks for football unless you are in the end zones and between the 30's about halfway up. And all those tickets are gone to the teams already. I don't wanna deal with traffic and drunk co-eds, yes I'm old and cranky when it comes to crowds and lots of people.
But I will be watching the RB for the Horns. That dude can get it. Would love him here with Pierce.

edit: And I'll be watching my RoadRunners (UTSA) this Friday night! Get em Runners!!
And I will definitely not be watching the Jimmy Kimmel bowl....are you serious?? WTH?

I'm 30 miles from the Alamodome and the Longhorns on the 29th (I think), but I'm gonna watch from home. The Alamodome sucks for football unless you are in the end zones and between the 30's about halfway up. And all those tickets are gone to the teams already. I don't wanna deal with traffic and drunk co-eds, yes I'm old and cranky when it comes to crowds and lots of people.
But I will be watching the RB for the Horns. That dude can get it. Would love him here with Pierce.

edit: And I'll be watching my RoadRunners (UTSA) this Friday night! Get em Runners!!
And I will definitely not be watching the Jimmy Kimmel bowl....are you serious?? WTH?
What's the Jimmy Kimmel bowl?

Bill might nix NFL draft for Army 1st-round hopeful Andre Carter II
11:43 AM CT
Pete ThamelESPN

A sudden potential roadblock has emerged that could prevent Army star linebacker Andre Carter II and other talented athletes at service academies from playing professional sports directly out of school.

The Military Times reported on Dec. 8 that a potential change in the policy for athletes at the academies emerged as part of a bill being passed through Congress. Since 2019, athletes at military academies have had the ability to apply for a waiver to delay their active service requirement and immediately pursue professional sports opportunities.

That rule, pushed through by former President Donald Trump in 2019, appears on the cusp of being revoked. Tucked in Section 553 of the National Defense Authorization Act, which passed the Senate on Thursday and is headed to President Joe Biden's desk, is language that states an "agreement by a cadet or midshipman to play professional sport constitutes a breach of service obligation." The bill covers the Army, Navy and Air Force and states: "The cadet may not obtain employment, including as a professional athlete, until after completing the cadet's commissioned service obligation." That obligation is, according to Army, five years of active duty and three years in the individual ready reserve.

The change is expected to take place when the bill is signed, which could be as early as next week.

The amendment was introduced by Mike Gallagher, a Republican congressman from Wisconsin's eighth district. Late Friday, just over a week after The Military Times report was published, Gallagher's spokesperson offered an update in which Gallagher acknowledged that current athletes at the academies "signed up with the understanding that they could apply for a waiver to defer their military service."

Gallagher said in a statement to ESPN: "I will be working with my colleagues to identify a legislative fix that addresses this issue by grandfathering in existing athletes into the current system."

Gallagher added that he still believes generally in his stance: "U.S. military service academies exist to produce warfighters, not professional athletes."

Army star outside linebacker Andre Carter had 15.5 sacks last season, but has just three in 2022 as offensive coordinators have keyed on him. Danny Wild/USA TODAY Sports

Heading into this season, Carter's NFL draft potential was one of the feel-good stories in college football. The Black Knights star is Mel Kiper's No. 22-ranked player for the upcoming draft, a stunning development for a school that hasn't had a first-round pick since 1947 and has had only two players drafted since 1969.

Carter chose to stay at Army his final two seasons out of loyalty, despite being a player whose talent could command a large sum of money on the name, image and likeness market. He's 6-foot-7, 260 pounds, and talented enough to play at any blue-blood school. His family says transferring was never a serious consideration, not even after Carter led the country in sacks in 2021 with 1.19 per game. (He finished ahead of Will Anderson Jr., the Alabama outside linebacker who is the only OLB ranked ahead of him in Kiper's draft rankings.)
THE REST OF THE STORY

Wonder how long the Ags are going to put up with Jimbo. Man do they suck. Hear lots will be entering the transfer portal as well as many decommitments..

I think Jimbo is going to be done sooner than later. He’s had really good recruiting seasons since his arrival, so his in-season failures are 100% his to own.

Wonder how long the Ags are going to put up with Jimbo. Man do they suck. Hear lots will be entering the transfer portal as well as many decommitments..
My boy follows the Ags pretty close, the portal issue is not a big deal, maybe 3-5 kids of the 20+ that you would care about, mostly guys that cannot start, and another great class coming in. Talent and recruiting is not the problem, coaching and culture appear to be, and Jimbo needs to relinquish the OC and play calling duties ASAP, and focus his ass on getting these kids working and focusing on the details.

My boy follows the Ags pretty close, the portal issue is not a big deal, maybe 3-5 kids of the 20+ that you would care about, mostly guys that cannot start, and another great class coming in. Talent and recruiting is not the problem, coaching and culture appear to be, and Jimbo needs to relinquish the OC and play calling duties ASAP, and focus his ass on getting these kids working and focusing on the details.
Injuries to his QB's have also been a problem and King wasn't the answer. Smith going out early hurt because no other WR was a deep threat

The Drake Maye Bowl is tonight at 7 PM Holiday Bowl vs Oregon.
I wish this guy would transfer to a QB friendly school. He'll have a lot of questions going into next year's draft.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

I wish this guy would transfer to a QB friendly school. He'll have a lot of questions going into next year's draft.

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Maye's performance says that he should be questioned. He looks like a really good prospect but NOT one I would consider above what's normally available. A good overall athlete who at times makes NFL-level throws with ease (see 3rd TD pass last night) and others where he looks like a non-prospect. Has a lot to work with but needs way more work than his stats and hype tell us.

Maye's performance says that he should be questioned. He looks like a really good prospect but NOT one I would consider above what's normally available. A good overall athlete who at times makes NFL-level throws with ease (see 3rd TD pass last night) and others where he looks like a non-prospect. Has a lot to work with but needs way more work than his stats and hype tell us.

1st season as starter and he’s going to be playing CFB next season. That’s a solid move for him so he doesn’t become another 1 year starter like Mitch Trubisky.

I absolutely think Maye will be a franchise QB.

Better than any QB in the upcoming draft.

Mobility within the pocket

Arm strength

Throws with accuracy and anticipation.
There is no question Maye has franchise type tools, aka Lawrence & Herbert.

But Maye is in a RPO, one read offense. When the initial throw is not there, he gets out of the play and scrambles. That's a good skill to have at the next level, but he has a long, long way to go as far as reading defenses. As his games against ranked opponents have shown.

It's Maye's 1st year as a starter, and he has displayed NFL talent, to be sure. I just don't see him getting better at North Carolina with their simplistic offense. He had plenty of opportunities to transfer, but his family are true blue Tar Heels. Maye will be drafted at or near the top of the 2024 draft. But will likely need to sit out his rookie season, at a minimum.

Mobility within the pocket

Arm strength

Throws with accuracy and anticipation.
Maye played well enough, especially as a rs freshman. He get sacked a bit much from holding the ball and being indecisive, but that's to be expected. I was surprised at the way Nix played. He played way better than he ever did at Auburn much like Hurts did at OU. I didn't see him as an nfl caliber qb, but he's changed my mind. He made some great throws.

What did yall think of Bo Nix game vs NC? I also watched Pennix Jr, he has tools, but that flat footed, low release is a concern. He sails alot of balls and carries it low.

Maye played well enough, especially as a rs freshman. He get sacked a bit much from holding the ball and being indecisive, but that's to be expected. I was surprised at the way Nix played. He played way better than he ever did at Auburn much like Hurts did at OU. I didn't see him as an nfl caliber qb, but he's changed my mind. He made some great throws.
I haven't kept up with Nix, has he improved and in what areas if he has?

Not a good year end for USC and Caleb Williams... upset by lower ranked teams in two critical games

Back