Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's been determined by several TT posters that a surrounding cast isn't needed for success. It's all on the QB's shoulders.
Sink or swim.

:coffee:
It's a tough business.
Look at Minshew.
He came into a bad Jaguars team in 2019.
They finished 5-11 the previous season.
Minshew went 6-6 (WL), throwing for 21TDs vs 6 Ints, also adding 344 yards on the ground.
Foles went 0-4, with 3TDs vs 2 Ints.
The number one receiver was DJ Chalk, who could never replicate that 73-catch year.
The Oline ranked 26th
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

Then came 2020.
Minshew went 1-7 despite throwing for 16 TDs vs 5 Ints.
Still no weapon.
The Jaguars finished 1-15 with the Defense ranking 31st in both points and yards.

Guess what happened?
The Jaguars drafted Lawrence and shipped Minshew out.

Mills was nowhere efficient as Minshew was.
He deserves no excuse.

It's a tough business.
Look at Minshew.
Minshew went 6-6 (WL), throwing for 21TDs vs 6 Ints, also adding 344 yards on the ground.
The number one receiver was DJ Chalk, who could never replicate that 73-catch year.
The Oline ranked 26th
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-following-2019-regular-season

Then came 2020.
Still no weapon.
The Jaguars finished 1-15 with the Defense ranking 31st in both points and yards.

Guess what happened?

He deserves no excuse.

Jags were tanking in 2020. They didn’t give Minshew a fair chance.

It's a tough business.
Look at Minshew.
The Oline ranked 26th

Then came 2020.
Still no weapon.

Guess what happened?

He deserves no excuse.
Minshew is like a video game. He runs around & extends plays. That's not Foles' game. That's not what I hoped Mills would be. So I don't think this is a good comparison.

I want a QB who can sit in the pocket & make the plays when they are there. I don't know that Minshew is that guy, or could be that guy. I don't think the Jags thought he could be that guy.

Minshew is like a video game. He runs around & extends plays. That's not Foles' game. That's not what I hoped Mills would be. So I don't think this is a good comparison.

I want a QB who can sit in the pocket & make the plays when they are there. I don't know that Minshew is that guy, or could be that guy. I don't think the Jags thought he could be that guy.
It doesn't matter what you want.
Why do you think they took Stroud with the second pick?
Because they think Mills can be that guy?

But if you want comparison, look at Mike Glennon.
His rookie numbers were better than Mills.
His Oline was ranked 24th by PFF (you're not gonna like any name on that unit).
His top two RBs averaged 3.9 and 3.6 ypc.
Neither was a weapon out of the backfield either.
His number one receiver Vincent Jackson totaled 73 catches (the most in his career).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/2013.htm

He only started 5 games in his second year. He had much better number than old man Josh McCown.
If you prorate the numbers, again, it's better than Mills'.

Glennon is a pocket passer.
But the Buccs didn't think he was the guy either and brought in Winston the following year.

It's a tough business.

I'm thinking it's because they want a pocket passer. Someone who can operate an offense as designed.

I don't think Minshew is that guy. I think the league is saying Minshew isn't that guy. He can play. But not the kind of guy you build around.

The Pocket passer is becoming extinct, a thing of the past. Quarterbacks need to be able to extend plays with their feet, get the ball out quickly and accurately. Throw in all the other attributes.
Defensive lineman and linebackers are getting faster. DC are getting slicker with their schemes.

I'm thinking it's because they want a pocket passer. Someone who can operate an offense as designed.

I don't think Minshew is that guy. I think the league is saying Minshew isn't that guy. He can play. But not the kind of guy you build around.
The Jags took Lawrence because they thought he's the better QB.

Same with the Texans; they took Stroud because they thought he's a better QB.
Both Stroud and Mills are pocket passers mostly. But Stroud maneuvers the pocket better.

The Panthers took Cam Newton ahead of a bunch of pocket passers.
The Niners took Lance instead of Mac Jones, and even though they already had Jimmy G.
Whether the QB is a pocket passer or not was irrelevant to those HCs.
They just took the guy they thought is the better QB.

The Panthers took Cam Newton ahead of a bunch of pocket passers.
The Niners took Lance instead of Mac Jones, and even though they already had Jimmy G.
Whether the QB is a pocket passer or not was irrelevant to those HCs.
They just took the guy they thought is the better QB.
The Bears also favored Fields over Mac Jones.
Which point are you trying to refute?

I want a QB who can sit in the pocket & make the plays when they are there
I'm thinking it's because they want a pocket passer.
Surely not these?

I loved Minshew's game when he was playing at Washington State for Mike Leach. He should probably be the starter in Indy. I think they made a mistake taking Richardson.

Quarterbacks need to be able to extend plays with their feet...

Quarterbacks need pocket awareness so they can step up, back, to the side, etc., to both extend the play while still remaining in the pocket for an extra second or two to then execute a completion or throw it away. Running quarterbacks are great...until they get injured. Of course, QB's sitting in the pocket also suffer injuries. If I had to choose, I'll take the QB with pocket awareness over good running ability.

Quarterbacks need pocket awareness so they can step up, back, to the side, etc., to both extend the play while still remaining in the pocket for an extra second or two to then execute a completion or throw it away. Running quarterbacks are great...until they get injured. Of course, QB's sitting in the pocket also suffer injuries. If I had to choose, I'll take the QB with pocket awareness over good running ability.
They get hurt just as much standing tall and doing that in the pocket as well. It’s football. But like I stated, that brand you like is becoming extinct.

...that brand you like is becoming extinct.

Just to be clear, having mobility as a QB is a GOOD thing. I think we can differentiate between a QB that has mobility and a QB that can flat out run the ball, like Justin Fields, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, etc..

How many Super Bowl-winning QB's were also great at running the ball? Very few (if any) QB's can be the protypical NFL QB while also possessing the freakish ability to be outstanding at running the ball.

Guys that can beat you from the pocket are the guys that have been winning all the Super Bowls.

To me, the NFL should be careful with the idea that the QB will be the secret weapon within the offense….as a runner and passer.

The most effective offense in the long run should feature an up-tempo passing game, but must have a stable of RB’s who keep defenses honest. Strong TE’s and a zone busting SWR can keep their QB’s in the pocket and clean as well. Of course….a strong OL is what makes all this happen.

Just to be clear, having mobility as a QB is a GOOD thing. I think we can differentiate between a QB that has mobility and a QB that can flat out run the ball, like Justin Fields, Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, etc..

How many Super Bowl-winning QB's were also great at running the ball? Very few (if any) QB's can be the protypical NFL QB while also possessing the freakish ability to be outstanding at running the ball.

Guys that can beat you from the pocket are the guys that have been winning all the Super Bowls.
QBs with mobility don't exclude the ability to maneuver around the pocket and the ability to scramble around to buy time to throw.
We're not (or at least I don't) talk about true dual-threat QBs.

In the old days, Roger Staubach was as close to a dual-threat QB that is also great at throwing the ball.
He had had seasons with 300 plus yards on the ground (high 343 yards with 10 starts).
I'm sure he can gain more on the ground if he simply decided to run more.

Another great one was Steve Young, who might have been a better runner.

So, yeah, this type of QBs can win the big games.

Many QBs that won the SBs were mobile; they just didn't want to not use all the weapons on the field.
And that was because they are also great passers.

Elway had wheels.
So did Tarkenton, Montana (deceptive), and many more.

Mahomes has some wheels; Josh Allen has wheels, Russell Wilson and many more.
But they're also great passers.

Because they think Mills can be that guy?

But if you want comparison, look at Mike Glennon.
His rookie numbers were better than Mills.
His Oline was ranked 24th by PFF (you're not gonna like any name on that unit).
His top two RBs averaged 3.9 and 3.6 ypc.
Neither was a weapon out of the backfield either.
His number one receiver Vincent Jackson totaled 73 catches (the most in his career).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/tam/2013.htm

He only started 5 games in his second year. He had much better number than old man Josh McCown.
If you prorate the numbers, again, it's better than Mills'.

Glennon is a pocket passer.
But the Buccs didn't think he was the guy either and brought in Winston the following year.

It's a tough business.

Because Hannah values marketing over anything else. Should've brought in Minshew and waited until 2024 to draft a QB.

The Pocket passer is becoming extinct, a thing of the past. Quarterbacks need to be able to extend plays with their feet, get the ball out quickly and accurately. Throw in all the other attributes.
Defensive lineman and linebackers are getting faster. DC are getting slicker with their schemes.

True, but if you cant operate from the pocket you're not going to win championships.

I'm not trying to refute or to do anything.

These HC/OCs will do whatever they think is good .

Sometimes, a lot of times, I think it's best to succcumb to the notion that it's all entertainment.
For the Texans org it really is all about the show and very little substance.

They get hurt just as much standing tall and doing that in the pocket as well. It’s football. But like I stated, that brand you like is becoming extinct.

Yep, Burrow/Herbert/Rodgers/Geno/Pudy etc... are becoming extinct.

Tell me how many of the run 1st QB's have won championships? I'll wait....

QBs with mobility don't exclude the ability to maneuver around the pocket and the ability to scramble around to buy time to throw.
We're not (or at least I don't) talk about true dual-threat QBs.

In the old days, Roger Staubach was as close to a dual-threat QB that is also great at throwing the ball.
He had had seasons with 300 plus yards on the ground (high 343 yards with 10 starts).
I'm sure he can gain more on the ground if he simply decided to run more.

Another great one was Steve Young, who might have been a better runner.

So, yeah, this type of QBs can win the big games.

Many QBs that won the SBs were mobile; they just didn't want to not use all the weapons on the field.
And that was because they are also great passers.

Elway had wheels.
So did Tarkenton, Montana (deceptive), and many more.

Mahomes has some wheels; Josh Allen has wheels, Russell Wilson and many more.
But they're also great passers.

I love mobile QB'S as long as they can do both. How many QB'S with elite running skills have won Super Bowls? Steve Young? I don't remember.

Last edited:
I love mobile QB'S as long as they can do both. How many QB'S with elite running skills have won Super Bowls? Craig James? I don't remember.

I mean, define "elite."

Staubach, Elway, Young, Wilson?

But that's definitely arguable. Of those, I'd say only Staubach and Wilson were running qbs when they won theirs.

Most of the guys I would consider elite running QBs have have not won a SB: Vick, Cunningham, Jackson, Newton, Hurts, Fields.

But like I said, you can get sucked down a rabbit hole on definitions and semantics on this.

I mean, define "elite."

Staubach, Elway, Young, Wilson?

But that's definitely arguable. Of those, I'd say only Staubach and Wilson were running qbs when they won theirs.

Most of the guys I would consider elite running QBs have have not won a SB: Vick, Cunningham, Jackson, Newton, Hurts, Fields.

But like I said, you can get sucked down a rabbit hole on definitions and semantics on this.
I don't know how we got to elite running QBs, but in the old days , didn't they run a lot more than today?
Even when they didn't run a lot, some of them were known as skilled at running the ball, like Bart Starr who had a 5.8ypc career average. Was there a great RB that ever came close to that?
In the semi-modern day, Steve Young was even better at 5.9ypc.
Both Len Dawson and Elway had a healthy 4.4ypc career average.
Staubach and Wilson were both at 5.5 and Newton was at 5.0

Anyhow, many QBs that were considered elite at running had won the SB like I mentioned: Elway, Staubach, Young, Wilson, Newton.

And many more had gone to the big game, from McNair to McNabb.

On the other hand, many great pocket passers, despite their gaudy numbers, never won one; the likes of Marino and Fouts.

Lucky for Andy Reid that he finally won a SB or two; otherwise he'd be crucified for having so many dumb running QBs.

I don't know how we got to elite running QBs, but in the old days , didn't they run a lot more than today?
Even when they didn't run a lot, some of them were known as skilled at running the ball, like Bart Starr who had a 5.8ypc career average. Was there a great RB that ever came close to that?
In the semi-modern day, Steve Young was even better at 5.9ypc.
Both Len Dawson and Elway had a healthy 4.4ypc career average.
Staubach and Wilson were both at 5.5 and Newton was at 5.0

Anyhow, many QBs that were considered elite at running had won the SB like I mentioned: Elway, Staubach, Young, Wilson, Newton.

And many more had gone to the big game, from McNair to McNabb.

On the other hand, many great pocket passers, despite their gaudy numbers, never won one; the likes of Marino and Fouts.

Lucky for Andy Reid that he finally won a SB or two; otherwise he'd be crucified for having so many dumb running QBs.

It depends on how far back you go.

If you get into the 40's and 50's, they were basically not throwers, but they were field generals, calling all their own plays and distributing the ball. In the pros, by the 60's, QBs didn't run much. Guys like Bobby Douglass who were run-first, pass-second were anomalies.

I don't remember Bart Starr as a running QB. He was a pocket passer who would scramble and run when things broke down, and he was a master of the sneak. He had a couple of seasons with some insane rushing yards, though. Would he be an elite runner? I don't know.

Staubach, Elway, and Young were guys I remember coming into the league as athletes more than quarterbacks. But by the time Elway and Young won their SBs, they were older and weren't relying on their legs as much as they had been when they were younger.

If you get into the 40's and 50's, they were basically not throwers, but they were field generals, calling all their own plays and distributing the ball. In the pros, by the 60's, QBs didn't run much. Guys like Bobby Douglass who were run-first, pass-second were anomalies.

I don't remember Bart Starr as a running QB. He was a pocket passer who would scramble and run when things broke down, and he was a master of the sneak. He had a couple of seasons with some insane rushing yards, though. Would he be an elite runner? I don't know.

Staubach, Elway, and Young were guys I remember coming into the league as athletes more than quarterbacks. But by the time Elway and Young won their SBs, they were older and weren't relying on their legs as much as they had been when they were younger.
Id have to disagree w/ your assessment of young and elway. They both rushed a ton and especially near the endzone in their older years when they couldnt find an open man. Young had multiple cuncussions (not reported back then) and do you not remember the Elway helicopter at the goal line in the superbowl??

Elway was still very active on the ground during the year he first won a SB.
In the second, it was probably because the success of T. Davis that Elway didn't feel the need as much as his age told him.
He still scored TD on the ground in both wins though.

As for Young, he was still very active, especially in the playoff.
Look up his playoff run.
You could say he was bigger on the ground than in the air for the first two games.
In the SB, Young was the game leading rusher; can you believe it?

Id have to disagree w/ your assessment of young and elway. They both rushed a ton and especially near the endzone in their older years when they couldnt find an open man. Young had multiple cuncussions (not reported back then) and do you not remember the Elway helicopter at the goal line in the superbowl??

I remember Elway's Helicopter but... if someone is running 3x a game and getting less than 15 yards a game, is that really "rushing a ton"? Even early in his career, he wasn't running that much.

Young's a harder call. He was getting 30 yards a game on less than 5 rushes a game.

Is that "elite"? You can be elite at running the ball (which they both were) but still not run a lot. To me, you have to put in enough attempts so that it's a big part of your game.

So...just asking. Is our D playing that well or our O just not there?

Been hearing a lot about not so good QB play and no real good plays from the O. Meanwhile, hearing the D is flying around looking to destroy everything in its path.

I remember Elway's Helicopter but... if someone is running 3x a game and getting less than 15 yards a game, is that really "rushing a ton"? Even early in his career, he wasn't running that much.

Young's a harder call. He was getting 30 yards a game on less than 5 rushes a game.

Is that "elite"? You can be elite at running the ball (which they both were) but still not run a lot. To me, you have to put in enough attempts so that it's a big part of your game.

Young is the 6th all time rushing qb. Elway 11.

Been hearing a lot about not so good QB play and no real good plays from the O. Meanwhile, hearing the D is flying around looking to destroy everything in its path.

You shouldn’t put much stock in reports like this. It’s the 3rd day of camp. They haven’t even put pads on yet.

No contact allowed yet so the Olinemen can't hold on to the pass rushers when they got beat. :brando:

Back