Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm thinking Ryan Tannehill. Good Ryan Tannehill.

I don't think any team is going to be saying, "Ah hell, we have to play CJ Stroud this week. He's going to kill us." If we can get him a Derrick Henry or a Travis Kelce, people will be putting him in that Elite category.

Without those type of playmakers he'll put up numbers like Stafford did in Detroit, but we're not getting past the divisional round.

Dang I can’t change me vote? Anyways I’ll go on record regarding both guys here.

I think Stroud and Anderson are solid players. They aren’t the guys I would’ve targeted but I don’t think they are going to be busts. I think they are both safe picks. I’ve got no issue with what the Texans did and I’m excited about both guys. This wasn’t my dream scenario, but it’s not far down the list of outcomes I’d have like to have seen.

I think Stroud is like a Goff/Prescott level player and I think Will Anderson is going to be very good against the run and an ok pass rusher. I think the Texans still need a true stud pass rusher.

Now I can see an avenue for both guys exceeding my expectations. I think the WCO will benefit Stroud a lot. The outside Zone scheme and all of the wrinkles that come with it should make his life a lot easier. He throws a beautiful ball and if he’s allowed to just dish the rock I see good things in his future.

With Anderson, I think he needs some coaching on his pass rushing. He needs more bend and he needs more explosion. He also needs to use his quickness more to get tackles off balance and then his strength once he has them leaning. I think in college his was able to primarily use his length/strength but that’s not going to be as big of a factor in the NFL.

But even if neither guy exceeds what I believe they are as a player TODAY, again, I believe they are solid picks. At the least Stroud should be an adequate qb who operates well within the offense. May not be a guy who can carry lesser talent but surround him with playmakers and he should flourish.

With Anderson I think he’s going to be very good against the run right away. Maybe elite there. Regardless of how he advances as a rusher he’s going to be a guy you want on the field because he will find his way to the ball because he’s relentless, athletic, strong and reads plays well.

Well, he’s no Will Levis…. ;)

Stroud will be fine. How can anyone watch the last three years of Texans football and not think this is an improvement? After my bitching about the Stingley pick and wanting the Texans to take the safe pick I guess I can’t ***** about them not taking a wild flyer on Levis. Without the Stroud pick there is no trade up so it is what it is. Hate giving up picks. Always hate giving up picks

More excited about Anderson than Stroud but there’s a long road to go before either of them can be judged. I think Anderson will be very good and Stroud will be good enough.

Going back to LZ’s rankings of QBs since the 2020 draft (4 drafts) that @Lucky posted he has Stroud is the 5th rated prospect. Behind Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Bryce Young and Tua. He was a five star recruit coming out of high school and starred at a big time college football program. He is a premium prospect at the game’s most important position. We can nitpick all we want if he will be elite. But as a prospect he is more highly rated than several of the elite QBs were coming out (Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts).

It all comes down to coaching, the team putting the tools around him he needs to succeed and (perhaps most importantly) his ability to work his tail off and take that step into the elite tier. He has the physical tools to be elite. He now needs to work to get there.

Stroud will understand very quickly that the Texans have no Ohio State trio of receivers to put on the field with him. Next, there better be a homerun waiting to happen in regard to the OL....otherwise we'll all get to see how correct the assessment on him, regarding pressure, really was. He'll have a running game to lean on, but the OL will have to open the lanes to make defenses respect the run.

Going back to LZ’s rankings of QBs since the 2020 draft (4 drafts) that @Lucky posted he has Stroud is the 5th rated prospect. Behind Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Bryce Young and Tua.

It all comes down to coaching, the team putting the tools around him he needs to succeed and (perhaps most importantly) his ability to work his tail off and take that step into the elite tier. He has the physical tools to be elite. He now needs to work to get there.
As a passer, I put Stroud right with Burrow and above the other 3. There is just no substitute for throwing an accurate and catchable ball. If we're truly going to run a WCO, then he's the guy. Of course he has to put in the work but he has premium talent.

Stroud is going to be good. If he puts in the time and film study he could be great. He has the arm, the accuracy, the touch, the ability to create, the ability to move in the pocket and buy time, the ability to make every throw, he can read a defensive and look off DBs. He has a few little things he can learn and improve on. However, if he takes that time he will be a great player. And in a WCO type system that we likely will run he will excel.

And I am saying this as a Michigan fan so that should say something.

Stroud will understand very quickly that the Texans have no Ohio State trio of receivers to put on the field with him. Next, there better be a homerun waiting to happen in regard to the OL....otherwise we'll all get to see how correct the assessment on him, regarding pressure, really was. He'll have a running game to lean on, but the OL will have to open the lanes to make defenses respect the run.
Get a decent center and the OL is more than capable of holding it's own. However, let's not fool ourselves, it doesn't matter how good the run game is, you're not going to run past Mahomes/Burrow/Allen.

I keep thinking good Matt Ryan but more mobile.
Like tk above, if we can get him an effective TE buddy and stout running game, combined with the QB friendly WCO, he will serve us well.

That seems to be the plan. Look at the TE we snagged in the FA period. The kid is going to be as good as the system. WCO system tend to be short and middle type throws and set up shots deep. This is absolutely where he excels. And he might be the most accurate QB as of now that was in the draft. Watching him drop dimes to WRs never gets old

Get a decent center and the OL is more than capable of holding it's own. However, let's not fool ourselves, it doesn't matter how good the run game is, you're not going to run past Mahomes/Burrow/Allen.

Man, one would think that only Mahomes, Burrow and Allen are capable of beating each other. Most have fever-dreamed the Chiefs loss to the Colt last year, or the Rams SuperBowl

The best chance most teams have....use a strong defense to reduce the total points and a solid run game to help keep their offense off the field.

Solid enough to make the playoffs and then immediately wiped off the field. Will need good coaching and supporting cast to do more.

Sneaky accuracy.

Throw on the tape and there is zero sneakiness about his accuracy. It's really wild.

That is why I like his TOP END and very much unlikely scenario to be a similar player to Aaron Rodgers. Would take improvement when under pressure, but like Aaron.. Quick release and can make throws that nobody else in this class can.

People talk about arm strength, but it doesn't matter if you can't layer in throws.

The only reason Bryce Young got the Steph Curry name is probably because for the sport he is relatively small.

I would suggest CJ deserved that praise as he his ELITE throws are a different breed and more consistent. He led NCAA by a ton in what was tracked as PERFECT throw percentage over 26%.

I put "good" so I don't get my hopes up too much - he likely ends up somewhere in that 10-20 level. You like him, but don't love him. Serious question on if you give him a second contract, etc... Dak, Cousins, Goff, Jimmy, type guy. Could he wreck shop and crack the top 10? Sure, I want to see some games in the NFL before I predict that though.

Here is one great thing about Stroud. He fits in the offense the Texans want to run. There is no need to design an offense for him that the OC has no experience with. I didn't want Stroud, but he was the best choice for this offense.

Can Slowik change Stroud's panic when he's under pressure? Doubtful. If he can't Stroud doesn't get a 2nd contract. Then again, Stroud could be demanding a trade in 2025.

Going back to LZ’s rankings of QBs since the 2020 draft (4 drafts) that @Lucky posted he has Stroud is the 5th rated prospect. Behind Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow, Bryce Young and Tua. He was a five star recruit coming out of high school and starred at a big time college football program. He is a premium prospect at the game’s most important position. We can nitpick all we want if he will be elite. But as a prospect he is more highly rated than several of the elite QBs were coming out (Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts).

I'd really like to see that article... @Lucky if you could post it again.

Reactions: JB
I'd really like to see that article... @Lucky if you could post it again.
All of the rankings are in this thread.

Here are the QB rankings:

Going by NFL.com rankings (Lance Zierlein), here are some pre-draft QB rankings from 2020-2023:

1. Joe Burrow - 7.07
2. Tua Tagovailoa - 6.77
3. Justin Herbert - 6.45
4. Jordan Love - 6.36
5. Jacob Eason - 6.25
6. Jake Fromm - 6.16
7. Jalen Hurts - 6.14

1. Trevor Lawrence - 7.40
2. Zach Wilson - 6.50
3. Trey Lance - 6.47
4. Justin Fields - 6.45
5. Mac Jones - 6.33
7. Davis Mills - 6.14

1. Malik Willis - 6.41
2. Kenny Pickett - 6.40
2. Matt Corral - 6.40
4. Desmond Ridder - 6.36
5. Sam Howell - 6.22

1. Bryce Young - 6.82
2. CJ Stroud - 6.70
3. Anthony Richardson - 6.40
4. Will Levis - 6.34
5. Hendon Hooker - 6.23

Lol, Good Morning Football giving some love for CJ. Female host really making fun of Youngs size. She wouldn’t let it go, lol. Said it doesn’t look good when the guy handing out the hats to the draft picks is taller than Young.

I have heard a few digs on Young as well. Including but not limited to "Young will face some big hurdles in the NFL. Like not having nap time or juice boxes" and "Panthers taking Young means they must now bring in a step stool at some point in the draft" and my personal favorite is multiple radio stations and forums (other than ours) Maki fun of his voice. Which, tends to be high pitched at times and/or sounding like a teen.

I think he'll be great. I think this organization will do everything they can to put a coaching staff and talent around him to maximize his potential.

I'm not worried about about his agent. They clearly have a professional relationship with the Texans, and the Watson saga was solely about Watson wanting to get out of town before his perversions caught up with him. Agents do what their clients demand, not the other way around. Just don't give him a NTC in 3-4 years. lol

For all we know, Stroud could love Houston and the Texans have never been cheap about paying their star players.

Throw on the tape and there is zero sneakiness about his accuracy. It's really wild.

That is why I like his TOP END and very much unlikely scenario to be a similar player to Aaron Rodgers. Would take improvement when under pressure, but like Aaron.. Quick release and can make throws that nobody else in this class can.

People talk about arm strength, but it doesn't matter if you can't layer in throws.

The only reason Bryce Young got the Steph Curry name is probably because for the sport he is relatively small.

I would suggest CJ deserved that praise as he his ELITE throws are a different breed and more consistent. He led NCAA by a ton in what was tracked as PERFECT throw percentage over 26%.

One of the things that stood out to me in the highlights was how open his guys AREN'T. He's throwing into very small windows, but has very few interceptions. Defenders are always just a half second behind.The touch on his passes is great.

I think (hope) that will translate well to the nfl. Looks like he's driven by timing and rhythm. I can see how any defense that gets him off his clock would have way more success. He'll need more protection particularly early in games to get in rhythm.

I said "sneaky accuracy" ,but you're right. It's not a secret. It's his biggest attribute. The better term would be "sneaky arm strength." The ball just always gets there. He doesn't have to Nolan Ryan his throws to do it.

One of the things that stood out to me in the highlights was how open his guys AREN'T. He's throwing into very small windows, but has very few interceptions. Defenders are always just a half second behind.The touch on his passes is great.

I think (hope) that will translate well to the nfl. Looks like he's driven by timing and rhythm. I can see how any defense that gets him off his clock would have way more success. He'll need more protection particularly early in games to get in rhythm.

I said "sneaky accuracy" ,but you're right. It's not a secret. It's his biggest attribute. The better term would be "sneaky arm strength." The ball just always gets there. He doesn't have to Nolan Ryan his throws to do it.
He didn't have the best receiving corp in the NCAA last year either.

Jaxon SN was injured and had only 5 catches the whole year.

The top two receivers combined for 20 catches total the previous year (Harrison and Egbuka).

Same here! I kept hearing about how his WRs were wide open in college but then I see the tape and he's throwing darts into coverage.

It's going to be fun watching him develop. If we have an offense that can consistently score with a defense that can protect a lead, great things can happen.

Those labels are highly subjective. But just in general terms, I’ve got good as the floor and great as the ceiling. I’ll say great for purposes of the poll, but it’s a measured great. To say it another way, in 2025 I could see subjective rankings of him being as high as 4th or as low as 15th. It’s hard to envision the guy failing, but as with all human beings…until you see them do it at this level, nothing is 100% assured.

good-elite if he develops correctly. Cj college stats were impressive. 2 seasons with 85 passing td’s 12 ints, really 11 ints considering a osu receiver tipped a perfectly placed ball on the highlights. 75+ long in both seasons.

Cons: doesn’t handle pressure well. Has an inability to hit open receivers when it’s not his 1st or 2nd read. Doesn’t see backside safeties sometimes which will result in turnovers in the nfl.

Pros: very accurate. has a cannon. can pick up easy yards on scrambles. A natural winner and football player. Future roty and hofer

Trusting the coaching staff will develop him into a star. Bryce went #1 because he’s great under pressue. Just hope cj shines in that area this season.

Those labels are highly subjective. But just in general terms, I’ve got good as the floor and great as the ceiling. I’ll say great for purposes of the poll, but it’s a measured great. To say it another way, in 2025 I could see subjective rankings of him being as high as 4th or as low as 15th. It’s hard to envision the guy failing, but as with all human beings…until you see them do it at this level, nothing is 100% assured.

CJ compares most to Joe Burrow IMO, especially in that they have accurate cannons for arm. CJ is a high floor guy, which doesn't preclude a high ceiling.

Last edited:
08w0os0dk5f71.jpg

CJ is the anti-Watson in that he's very accurate with good touch and he anticipates windows - he throws guys open .... and he can read a defense pre-snap at a high level for a college prospect.

Where he struggles is against pressure, like most QB's. Much of his success will come down to Bobby Slowik putting him in an offensive scheme that keeps the pressure to a minimum.
How he handles pressure will dictate his career arc ....

CJ had GREAT BIG windows to throw thru to wide-open WRs with plenty of time to throw. In the NFL he will have tiny little windows to throw thru with a lot less time to throw, and under a lot more pressure.

Cons: doesn’t handle pressure well. Has an inability to hit open receivers when it’s not his 1st or 2nd read. Doesn’t see backside safeties sometimes which will result in turnovers in the nfl.
I'm really not worried about this. This is a very coachable thing. Preparation. Repetition. Whatever they were doing at Ohio probably didn't address his issue for situations. That's what his coaches will help him navigate.

I'm really not worried about this. This is a very coachable thing. Preparation. Repetition. Whatever they were doing at Ohio probably didn't address his issue for situations. That's what his coaches will help him navigate.
The 1st and 2nd read thing is what I feel he did good at. There was a breakdown in tape where he was scanning the whole field before he made a throw.

You left out Tom Brady! :)

CJ had GREAT BIG windows to throw thru to wide-open WRs with plenty of time to throw. In the NFL he will have tiny little windows to throw thru with a lot less time to throw, and under a lot more pressure.

There's a ton of tape showing him hitting tight windows and dropping sideline dimes.
I'm confident you're open minded enough to watch them

Last edited:
Back