Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
So… after the draft, Texans look…better(+), (=), worse (-)

QB +
RB+, RB3 in UDFA
WR +
OL +
TE =
DL +
EDGE +
LB +
CB =
S. +

none of these guys have done anything yet, but on paper it looks good. Now why were we so worried aboutmanagement of draft resources?

We could still pick up a player or two in free agency. Maybe a few 1 year deals?

Last edited:
Dang I can’t change me vote? Anyways I’ll go on record regarding both guys here.

I think Stroud and Anderson are solid players. They aren’t the guys I would’ve targeted but I don’t think they are going to be busts. I think they are both safe picks. I’ve got no issue with what the Texans did and I’m excited about both guys. This wasn’t my dream scenario, but it’s not far down the list of outcomes I’d have like to have seen.

I think Stroud is like a Goff/Prescott level player and I think Will Anderson is going to be very good against the run and an ok pass rusher. I think the Texans still need a true stud pass rusher.

Now I can see an avenue for both guys exceeding my expectations. I think the WCO will benefit Stroud a lot. The outside Zone scheme and all of the wrinkles that come with it should make his life a lot easier. He throws a beautiful ball and if he’s allowed to just dish the rock I see good things in his future.

With Anderson, I think he needs some coaching on his pass rushing. He needs more bend and he needs more explosion. He also needs to use his quickness more to get tackles off balance and then his strength once he has them leaning. I think in college his was able to primarily use his length/strength but that’s not going to be as big of a factor in the NFL.

But even if neither guy exceeds what I believe they are as a player TODAY, again, I believe they are solid picks. At the least Stroud should be an adequate qb who operates well within the offense. May not be a guy who can carry lesser talent but surround him with playmakers and he should flourish.

With Anderson I think he’s going to be very good against the run right away. Maybe elite there. Regardless of how he advances as a rusher he’s going to be a guy you want on the field because he will find his way to the ball because he’s relentless, athletic, strong and reads plays well.
Adequate isn't what they should be drafting at 1-2.

good-elite if he develops correctly. Cj college stats were impressive. 2 seasons with 85 passing td’s 12 ints, really 11 ints considering a osu receiver tipped a perfectly placed ball on the highlights. 75+ long in both seasons.

Cons: doesn’t handle pressure well. Has an inability to hit open receivers when it’s not his 1st or 2nd read. Doesn’t see backside safeties sometimes which will result in turnovers in the nfl.

Pros: very accurate. has a cannon. can pick up easy yards on scrambles. A natural winner and football player. Future roty and hofer

Trusting the coaching staff will develop him into a star. Bryce went #1 because he’s great under pressue. Just hope cj shines in that area this season.
Richardson and Levis have cannons for arms, Stroud has a good arm.

ROTY and HOF'er? Wow, LMAO

Adequate isn't what they should be drafting at 1-2.

Agreed, but those are just my opinion which could be totally wrong.
But I did even say I can see an avenue in my evaluation of them where they could be top tier players at their respective positions.

I personally would’ve targeted Richardson just because of all the tools and despite his numbers I saw good things on film that I believe in the right situation can be developed

But Stroud I think has the best overall arm talent the draft all things considered…placement, velocity, touch and accuracy. Not the creator Young is, but he’s not a statue. Not the physical freak or stature of Richardson but not a potato either. He was a safe top pick I think.

Basically, I think if they get the rest of the roster right stroud can be like a Troy Aikman which I’m ok with as a top draft pick.

Agreed, but those are just my opinion which could be totally wrong.
But I did even say I can see an avenue in my evaluation of them where they could be top tier players at their respective positions.

I personally would’ve targeted Richardson just because of all the tools and despite his numbers I saw good things on film that I believe in the right situation can be developed

But Stroud I think has the best overall arm talent the draft all things considered…placement, velocity, touch and accuracy. Not the creator Young is, but he’s not a statue. Not the physical freak or stature of Richardson but not a potato either. He was a safe top pick I think.

Basically, I think if they get the rest of the roster right stroud can be like a Troy Aikman which I’m ok with as a top draft pick.

Hope you're right.

Stroud arm is as good as Herbert and better than Burrow. Any arm talent you have, you must have placement and control. Better than Manning ,Brady, and Brees coming out. We've seen guys with cannons and no control.

Good for him.

I'm not going to argue this with you, because I personally dont give 2 bleeps anymore. I'm just glad I stopped wasting money on ownership that only cares about butts in the seats.

Good for him.

I'm not going to argue this with you, because I personally dont give 2 bleeps anymore. I'm just glad I stopped wasting money on ownership that only cares about butts in the seats.
Did you watch the press conference?

What did you think of DeMeco & the media?

For anyone unfamiliar with CJ's game and wants to see why multiple teams were willing to ignore a bad S2 score. Kurt Warner breaking down his tape and it is nasty.

His floor expectation is GOOD QB. 10-15 worst case. I think he processes at an elite level.

Great is likely and a shot at ELITE.

Better understanding of defenses than even Deshaun out of college.

Better understanding of defenses than even Deshaun out of college.
Right. And several other QBs that have come out the past few years. And that will be Stroud's edge. Teams will try to pressure Stroud and that will be a mistake. He'll find the hot receiver. The key will be when defenses adjust and force Stroud to be patient vs the zone. That's the maturity Mahomes developed over time.

I will be extra happy if CJ has a great rookie season.
He has some nice help on the offense including a QB friendly system, a strong running game and hopefully a much improved Oline so he should be in position to succeed.

I thought you said you’ll support/ be on board with them if they drafted Stroud. Now you’re going back on your word.
I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I want him to win many championships. I'm certainly not going back on my word. I know that you will hold Stroud to the Mills standard, although many won't.

I just don't think you can win a championship with DM as the agent of your QB. Sad thing is Cal didn't learn a thing from the Derrick fiasco and chose to jump back in bed with the same trash that helped put this franchise in the bind it's in today. Cal is dumber than I thought and that's saying something. He will get what he deserves in about 3 years.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I want him to win many championships. I'm certainly not going back on my word. I know that you will hold Stroud to the Mills standard, although many won't.

I just don't think you can win a championship with DM as the agent of your QB. Sad thing is Cal didn't learn a thing from the Derrick fiasco and chose to jump back in bed with the same trash that helped put this franchise in the bind it's in today. Cal is dumber than I thought and that's saying something. He will get what he deserves in about 3 years.
To be fair to those who may hold Stroud to a higher standard, they have every right to do so - Stroud is a first rounder while Mills was a third.

To be fair to those who may hold Stroud to a higher standard, they have every right to do so - Stroud is a first rounder while Mills was a third.
To be fair, I think he's saying Mills was being unfairly held to a high standard & Stroud should be held to that same standard. No excuses. Don't start complaining about lack of weapons, poor playcalling, or poor blocking. Even though Mills had adequate blocking last year & made it worse on himself.

Davis only shot to beat out Stroud will be the initial learnings of the playbook in which you would expect a little learning curve.

Zero shot for Dougie after that. Stroud's accuracy and decision making is light years better and that will show in 7-7 work in preseason.

To be fair, I think he's saying Mills was being unfairly held to a high standard & Stroud should be held to that same standard. No excuses. Don't start complaining about lack of weapons, poor playcalling, or poor blocking. Even though Mills had adequate blocking last year & made it worse on himself.
You have a different option of a one armed Green and Q. The OL wasn't good last year. Putting Mills aside, there's a reason Pierce lead the NFL in yds after contact.

For me, CJs success hinges on how good his Oline is.
Sure, he can make his line better with his play but that may take time to develop as they gel as a complete unit.

Davis only shot to beat out Stroud will be the initial learnings of the playbook in which you would expect a little learning curve.

Zero shot for Dougie after that. Stroud's accuracy and decision making is light years better and that will show in 7-7 work in preseason.
Stroud should start day one and sink or swim.

No excuses.

Right. And several other QBs that have come out the past few years. And that will be Stroud's edge. Teams will try to pressure Stroud and that will be a mistake. He'll find the hot receiver. The key will be when defenses adjust and force Stroud to be patient vs the zone. That's the maturity Mahomes developed over time.
I wonder why they didn’t pressure him often in college since that’s his weakness.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Now it’s the GM. Lol wow you’re all over the place.

For me, CJs success hinges on how good his Oline is.
Sure, he can make his line better with his play but that may take time to develop as they gel as a complete unit.
Yep, and the ol should be much improved.

No excuses

Is this Savage vs Watson redux?

🤣

Mills having the same weapons may make him marginally better but I’m not holding my breath.

Man, I was on the bandwagon to see what the kid had, but to your point even with weapons and a better system Mills goes from an OK backup to a really decent backup. Best thing he can do is master this offense and Kubiak his way into a long Texans career.

Typo . Meant agent. Lol so it’s the agents fault if they don’t win a Super Bowl
No it's ownership for choosing to get back in bed with the trash to begin with. I don't blame Stroud or even DM for what's going to eventually happen to this franchise. Cal made his bed, he will have to lie in it in a little over 3 years.

No it's ownership for choosing to get back in bed with the trash to begin with. I don't blame Stroud or even DM for what's going to eventually happen to this franchise. Cal made his bed, he will have to lie in it in a little over 3 years.
Why do you get so upset when they don’t do what you want them to do? Lol it’s not that serious brother. Sit back have a few cold ones and smoke up the grill.

And yet Mahomes sat for his entire rookie season after the Chiefs gave up significant draft capital to move up for him.

No excuses for Mahomes either, if we are being objective.

#2 QB taken in the draft. Gave up a third round pick that year and a first round pick the next year to get him. Failed to start a single game his rookie year.

No excuses.
Good try. But you cannot inject logic into an emotional, illogical opinion.

I'm hoping I'm wrong.

If that's the case, that rookie QB better win a championship while he's on a rookie contract and before Mulugheta has to negotiate the 2nd contract. Right?

So, I guess a team cannot win a championship if the QB is taking up 15% of the salary cap and if he is making less than 15% of the cap, he cannot win if Mulugheta is his agent. Also, if that QB is not taking up 15% of the cap and Mulugeta is not his agent, he still can't win a championship because the McNairs are the owners.

Eventually, this formula for a championship QB will be as complicated as the QBR formula.

Last edited:
Good try. But you cannot inject logic into an emotional, illogical opinion.
To be fair, it's an emotional topic anytime we (fans) talk about sports. There will always be extremes, especially right after games and the draft. As contained within the Texans bubble, our lives have revolved around the draft for months. Of course there will be disappointed fans that are upset, just like there will be fans ecstatic.

To the topic, I don't think Stroud will be a terrible quarterback and I recognize he could turn out to be very good. But before the draft I stated I thought he would be an average starter in the NFL and I haven't changed my mind just because the Texans drafted him.

Back