Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because he's not playing college football anymore and he won't have the much more talented team around him every week.

Might as well compare his highschool career to Arch Manning's.

....that's the only track record on the books outside of his HS football days.

2020 Stroud was selected to play in the 2020 HS All American Bowl. He also elevated his status to the #3 rated HS QB recruit. Strong start for accountability purposes.

2022 Stroud had completed a successful tenure as Ohio State QB. Many viewed him as the top QB entering the NFL Draft and some had Bryce Young as the top QB. They went 1 and 2 in the draft....so what else would you want.

2023 Stroud hasn't even taken a snap in an NFL game and somehow folks are supposed to know who he would compare to......just a tad premature. How about we say he compares to Tom Brady.....this way he could be anywhere from RD6 Camp Arm to GOAT at QB. That's about as fair of a spectrum of results I could come up with.

Would you guys say that being a successful NFL quarterback is 80% mental? I think it's somewhere around there. There's a gazillion dudes that can rifle a ball but few have the mentality to be a successful NFL quarterback. You just never know until they get out there and play.

....that's the only track record on the books outside of his HS football days.

2020 Stroud was selected to play in the 2020 HS All American Bowl. He also elevated his status to the #3 rated HS QB recruit. Strong start for accountability purposes.

2022 Stroud had completed a successful tenure as Ohio State QB. Many viewed him as the top QB entering the NFL Draft and some had Bryce Young as the top QB. They went 1 and 2 in the draft....so what else would you want.

2023 Stroud hasn't even taken a snap in an NFL game and somehow folks are supposed to know who he would compare to......just a tad premature. How about we say he compares to Tom Brady.....this way he could be anywhere from RD6 Camp Arm to GOAT at QB. That's about as fair of a spectrum of results I could come up with.
I want to everybody to be on record as to which QB they think Stroud's career will most likely resemble.

Mine - Stroud=Prescott

Yours?

That's true of both Stroud and Young. In college, their teammates were usually more talented than the other team. Now, they will both play on teams wherein the other team has more or equal talent.

For year one, let's hope that CJ stays healthy and has a promising first year on which to build. The coaching, defense, and running game will all be improved and so a 9-8 season is doable for Houston. Thereafter, it's about signing more quality free agents and building the team through the draft.
Who at the end of the day do you think his career will most likely resemble?

Which is why I think Stroud will be a slightly above avg QB.

If you can demonstrate the rare ability to consistently pick which QBS can be successful in the NFL then you are worth millions. Seriously. You should create a YouTube channel TODAY and make 10-minute videos on every QB taken in this year's draft and explain which ones will be successful and which won't. I'm not being facetious. If you have the ability to pick out diamonds in the rough, you need to show the world. Once you demonstrate your ability NFL teams will pay you for your insight. Seriously.

If you can demonstrate the rare ability to consistently pick which QBS can be successful in the NFL then you are worth millions. Seriously. You should create a YouTube channel TODAY and make 10-minute videos on every QB taken in this year's draft and explain which ones will be successful and which won't. I'm not being facetious. If you have the ability to pick out diamonds in the rough, you need to show the world. Once you demonstrate your ability NFL teams will pay you for your insight. Seriously.
I don't think any QB from this draft will be more than slightly above avg, for different reasons.

I would have to take a paycut to become an NFL scout. Plus this is subjective. Some would say Prescott has had a successful NFL career. I would disagree with this line of thinking.

You don't have an opinion?

This is what gets me about the Stroud fans, they aren't willing to go on the record as to what they think he will become and everybody knows they have an opinion.

I haven't followed the NFL close enough to say that CJ reminds me of anybody. I think CJ is going to be a good NFL QB but I'm not Nostradamus and so I can't GUARANTEE that he'll be successful. Does my response sound fair and honest?

Teddy Bridgewater with a stronger arm and more durable frame. I can see CJ Stroud putting up similar numbers as Bridgewater did in 2015 on a consistent basis - 3200 yards, 65% completion, 9 interceptions. Bridgewater only threw 14 TD's that year, CJ will likely do better than that on a consistent basis.

Both guys are pure pocket passers, accurate and both throw with touch.

I'm not Nostradomus. I can't see the future.

I have no idea how his career is going to go. I had enough red flags that I would have passed on him, but he's my QB now.

I'm hoping for a Tom Brady-like career but with more production in his rookie season.

I'm expecting him to have a lot of half-field reads his first couple of years, and a Kubiak-like strategy wrt audibles. As he grows and gets comfortable, his 2nd or 3rd year, I expect things to start to open up and hopefully, he'll be up for that.

I started a thread asking who posters would compare Stroud too for easy access a couple of yrs from now to see how things turn out. It got moved to this convoluted thread. I think we know why.
I just wanted a clean thread to get everybody on record.
Everyone that wants to be on the record is on the record (see poll above). We have plenty of Stroud threads to post your Stroud thoughts.

No tears, please.

I hope he brings Houston the rings that Aikman brought Dallas but I also hope he is a better QB than Aikman
Right, I never thought of Aikman as a great QB. I always looked at him as a great leader. If a player were to liken Stroud’s leadership to Aikman’s I’d have been impressed. Dak… not so much.

Last edited:
Man, look at the Aikman shade. You guys are tough graders.
No shade. Leadership is a good thing. I thought of him in the line of Staubach. A true field general, which the NFL is desperately missing.

Plenty other much more talented QBs playing in Aikman's day. He beat them all.

No shade. Leadership is a good thing. I thought of him in the line of Staubach. A true field general, which the NFL is desperately missing.

Plenty other much more talented QBs playing in Aikman's day. He beat them all.
Aikman did not put up the stats other QBs in the 90s did. But as far as arm talent (strength, accuracy), Troy was right there with the best of them.

Aikman did not put up the stats other QBs in the 90s did. But as far as arm talent (strength, accuracy), Troy was right there with the best of them.
I'm not going to fault you for still having that Aikman poster on your wall.

Great football player. Definite HOFer, not like a bunch of guys who've gone in after him that cheapen the whole thing.

Great leader. But only a good QB imo.

Troy don’t care what y’all think.

4c037c7cb8ffc8c9390729f96dd04afd_9883.jpg

I haven't followed the NFL close enough to say that CJ reminds me of anybody. I think CJ is going to be a good NFL QB but I'm not Nostradamus and so I can't GUARANTEE that he'll be successful. Does my response sound fair and honest?
Where in any of my posts did I vasi for a guarantee? All I asked for was an opinion, which you skillfully found a way to dodge my question.

I'm not Nostradomus. I can't see the future.

I have no idea how his career is going to go. I had enough red flags that I would have passed on him, but he's my QB now.

I'm hoping for a Tom Brady-like career but with more production in his rookie season.

I'm expecting him to have a lot of half-field reads his first couple of years, and a Kubiak-like strategy wrt audibles. As he grows and gets comfortable, his 2nd or 3rd year, I expect things to start to open up and hopefully, he'll be up for that.
So you can't think of a QB that his talent is comparable too. I'm not asking for a Nastrodamus vision
Just looking for your opinion m

So you can't think of a QB that his talent is comparable too. I'm not asking for a Nastrodamus vision
Just looking for your opinion m

I don't know how skilled I am at that.

If I'm going there, I'm thinking he's in the Brees/Cousins/Pennington class, a guy who's calling card is more about his accuracy than anything else. He's bigger than Brees and so he should have better vision of the field, with a much stronger arm than Pennington. He's more athletic than any of those guys. If he puts it all together, he could be Rodgers level.

I'm not sure where he's going to end up on that continuum of QBs. A lot of that depends on things we haven't seen, yet. If everything goes wrong, I think he ends up with a Pennington-like career.

But like I said, I'm more of a wait and see, everybody is there own special case kind of guy.

I don't know how skilled I am at that.

If I'm going there, I'm thinking he's in the Brees/Cousins/Pennington class, a guy who's calling card is more about his accuracy than anything else. He's bigger than Brees and so he should have better vision of the field, with a much stronger arm than Pennington. He's more athletic than any of those guys. If he puts it all together, he could be Rodgers level.

I'm not sure where he's going to end up on that continuum of QBs. A lot of that depends on things we haven't seen, yet. If everything goes wrong, I think he ends up with a Pennington-like career.

But like I said, I'm more of a wait and see, everybody is there own special case kind of guy.

Could we throw Dan Marino’s name into the mix…..since we’re shooting in the dark.

Dave Krieg, no real reason. Just a hunch.
Dave Krieg. Threw 24 INTs in a season and still made the Pro Bowl.

Here's a guy that had a short, but underrated career. Neil Lomax. His 4614 passing yards in 1984 were 4th most ever, at the time. It's just that some nobody named Dan Marino threw for a record breaking 5084 yards the same season.

Could we throw Dan Marino’s name into the mix…..since we’re shooting in the dark.

I'd love to.

But the thing about Marino was the speed of his release and the strength of his arm. I don't think Stroud has that quick of a delivery or that strong of an arm.

So I didn't consider that a correct comparison. Brees, Cousins, and Pennington (and probably a ton of other guys I've forgotten) made their name around their accuracy (even though Pennington became more and more inaccurate after his shoulder issues cost him what little arm strength he had.)

Reactions: JB
No he doesn't suck

He's just not in the top tier of HOF guys . He never got beat by lesser teams the way Moon, Fouts etc... did. So there's that.

Miami had everything except a respected running game during the Marino era. A real running game would’ve gone a long way in securing the Dolphins more than (1) SB visit during this era.

Miami had everything except a respected running game during the Marino era. A real running game would’ve gone a long way in securing the Dolphins more than (1) SB visit during this era.

There defense was only a good defense not a great defense. The 49ers showed the formula on how to beat the Dolphins in the SB. Other teams learned from that tape.

Back