Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

CJ Stroud Success Level (Mark it down)

Where do you think CJ Strouds success level will be in THREE years.

• Elite

• Great

• Good

• Average

• Below Average

• Hot Garbage

• Gone

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apparently Titus Howard might be given the green light to play in the opening game. Which should be great news for CJ. He is still in a cast but according to the article, he is still in a cast. Apparently, the powers that be (staff) feel that he might be ready for the Ravens game. If not judging from the article. Week 2 at worst. My only concern is will Meco hold him out, even after cleared? They have been having players coming back from injuries only to bring then slowly along. If that is the situation, I would think game 3 would be about the right time frame for his return. With luck, he will be allowed to play this week or at the very least next week.

Apparently Titus Howard might be given the green light to play in the opening game. Which should be great news for CJ. He is still in a cast but according to the article, he is still in a cast. Apparently, the powers that be (staff) feel that he might be ready for the Ravens game. If not judging from the article. Week 2 at worst. My only concern is will Meco hold him out, even after cleared? They have been having players coming back from injuries only to bring then slowly along. If that is the situation, I would think game 3 would be about the right time frame for his return. With luck, he will be allowed to play this week or at the very least next week.

I wouldn’t clear him unless CnD says so.

Trey Lance is way more athletic than Montana, Marino, Manning, Brady...being an athlete doesn't equal being a great QB.
Point made. But I do want to clarify that in his day, Joe Montana was considered a top notch athlete at QB. He was a 3 sport star in high school (football, baseball, basketball) who high jumped 6'9". Montana's basketball team won the state championship and he was offered a two way scholarship (basketball and football) to NC State. Had there been a combine during Montana's senior year, I'm certain he would have fared well.

I've had a membership to PFF all along but haven't been using it because of a longass password. But dug out my hardcopy folder and logged in.

Went to QB rankings and Stroud is at #18 with a score of 68.6.

Also looked at our OL. By far, the worst was Jones at LT, ranked #89 with a score of 48.5.

Mason is ranked #22 (66.9); Patterson, #19 (60.7); Fant, #22 (71.4). Green2 is a hard one to grade. He was thrown in to start at LG two weeks after being signed and had a bad grade against Indy (52.4). Improved to 60.4 against Jacksonville, which would put him about #41.

I've had a membership to PFF all along but haven't been using it because of a longass password. But dug out my hardcopy folder and logged in.

Went to QB rankings and Stroud is at #18 with a score of 68.6.

Also looked at our OL. By far, the worst was Jones at LT, ranked #89 with a score of 48.5.

Mason is ranked #22 (66.9); Patterson, #19 (60.7); Fant, #22 (71.4). Green2 is a hard one to grade. He was thrown in to start at LG two weeks after being signed and had a bad grade against Indy (52.4). Improved to 60.4 against Jacksonville, which would put him about #41.

What excites me about Patterson….he’s getting better. He had his best game against a team that has a pretty respected DL. I really hope the Texans leave him at Center for the season. I’d also like to see Nick Broeker get some snaps as well.

What excites me about Patterson….he’s getting better. He had his best game against a team that has a pretty respected DL. I really hope the Texans leave him at Center for the season. I’d also like to see Nick Broeker get some snaps as well.
My dilemma is: When Scruggs comes back (who was playing better than Patterson before his injury) do you put him back at C and get even better C play out of the position and put Patterson at LG??

My dilemma is: When Scruggs comes back (who was playing better than Patterson before his injury) do you put him back at C and get even better C play out of the position and put Patterson at LG??
Against Jacksonville, he had a very good game: overall grade 73.3, Pass Block 83.7, Run Block 76.3; 0 sacks, 0 hits, 0 hurries, 0 pressures.

I want to see how he does against the Steelers, a much better team. If he has another good game, maybe leave him at Center a d move Scruggs to Guard.

After Scruggs knocks rust off if he appears to be able to continue at OC, I leave him there despite history of neck injury. He played 9 g at RG in 2021 and all 12 at OC in 2022.
Patterson started all 2022 games at left guard after starting at center. My thought is Patterson can handle either plus get better at each.

Tunsil Patterson Scruggs Mason (if he continues to improve this season) and Howard.

Jones swing tackle. If Beebe Cooper available round 3, he's my pick for backup OG.

Our WRs appear to be lowering priority to draft WR high which is huge benefit. CB round 1, DE round 2, Coop round 3 and at least 1 LB round 4; based on what I see so far.

Game 4 could blow that apart.

After Scruggs knocks rust off if he appears to be able to continue at OC, I leave him there despite history of neck injury. He played 9 g at RG in 2021 and all 12 at OC in 2022.
Patterson started all 2022 games at left guard after starting at center. My thought is Patterson can handle either plus get better at each.

Tunsil Patterson Scruggs Mason (if he continues to improve this season) and Howard.

Jones swing tackle. If Beebe Cooper available round 3, he's my pick for backup OG.

Our WRs appear to be lowering priority to draft WR high which is huge benefit. CB round 1, DE round 2, Coop round 3 and at least 1 LB round 4; based on what I see so far.

Tunsil dealing with swelling in his knees. Might as well scratch him off for right now.

Last edited:

Tunsil Patterson Scruggs Mason (if he continues to improve this season) and Howard...
This is the lineup I've been pushing, until I began to think otherwise earlier this afternoon, when I saw the PFF grades Patterson had improved to against Jacksonville. Just based on combine numbers, Juice appears to be slightly more athletic than Patterson. So maybe he may be a good fit at LG. One way or the other, looking forward to Juice being ready to play.

If Patterson keeps playing well at center leave the rookie there

If MHJ or Nabers is there you pick him.

Game changers

This is the lineup I've been pushing, until I began to think otherwise earlier this afternoon, when I saw the PFF grades Patterson had improved to against Jacksonville. Just based on combine numbers, Juice appears to be slightly more athletic than Patterson. So maybe he may be a good fit at LG. One way or the other, looking forward to Juice being ready to play.
Yes I can see it going either way for Patterson and Scruggs. I have just followed Patterson for much longer and think I understand his ability more than I do. Do you agree we still need a no later than day two back up for guard. Are you willing to go with Kenyon Green and Kendrick Green for the future?

If Patterson keeps playing well at center leave the rookie there

If MHJ or Nabers is there you pick him.

Game changers
Of course on Harrison but I don't see him getting out of top 5 and perhaps 1.1. Nabers I like but waiting a bit before I put him up with MHJ though I won't debate it. We need to not ignore corners and backers available on our roster in 24. I think we will see overpayment for that side of the ball extending players as we did with Titus Howard. With better planning we might be able to avoid that.

Yes I can see it going either way for Patterson and Scruggs. I have just followed Patterson for much longer and think I understand his ability more than I do. Do you agree we still need a no later than day two back up for guard. Are you willing to go with Kenyon Green and Kendrick Green for the future?
Lets see how this yr plays out. If Patterson and Scruggs workout there's no need to draft an OL high. Kenyon would be a quality backup if healthy.

Of course on Harrison but I don't see him getting out of top 5 and perhaps 1.1. Nabers I like but waiting a bit before I put him up with MHJ though I won't debate it. We need to not ignore corners and backers available on our roster in 24. I think we will see overpayment for that side of the ball extending players as we did with Titus Howard. With better planning we might be able to avoid that.
They need difference makers. There are some good LB's in this draft, but I'm not sure there's a 1st rd LB. The DT's are week. IMHO and I'm not sure about the DB quality/depth. BL is very good at evaluating that position.

The QB/RB/WR/Edge positions appear to be the strength of this draft. IMHO

Lets see how this yr plays out. If Patterson and Scruggs workout there's no need to draft an OL high. Kenyon would be a quality backup if healthy.
Well sure if Kenyon healthy or Stingley could be a starter.. if healthy..
🙂
It would be nice if we did not have to draft a offensive lineman or wide receiver before round 6.

They need difference makers. There are some good LB's in this draft, but I'm not sure there's a 1st rd LB. The DT's are week. IMHO and I'm not sure about the DB quality/depth. BL is very good at evaluating that position.

The QB/RB/WR/Edge positions appear to be the strength of this draft. IMHO
I think we are going to be set with quarterback/ running backs/wide receiver. Edge, cornerback and linebacker is my focus for now. What I see of free agency is not exciting me.
I agree on difference makers

Well sure if Kenyon healthy or Stingley could be a starter.. if healthy..
🙂
It would be nice if we did not have to draft a offensive lineman or wide receiver before round 6.
I'm looking for difference makers and there are certainly some difference making WR's in this draft and if and edge like Verse fell to them I would be on board with the pick. Ja'Tavion Sanders is another guy I like he's another Jermicheal Finley at worst and all great WCO's have quality TE's.

Bottom line, I'm hoping they pick to the strengths of the draft instead of for need. Is there a quality CB available in this draft and how high do you think the 1st CB will go in this draft? Is there another Gonzalez in this draft?

I think we are going to be set with quarterback/ running backs/wide receiver. Edge, cornerback and linebacker is my focus for now. What I see of free agency is not exciting me.
I agree on difference makers

In FA they've got the money to bring back Reader and bring in Brian Burns. Difference makers. Another DE I would look at bringing in would be Montez Sweat. Then draft T'Vondre Sweat. You would have a Sweaty, Reader on the DL.

I also think there's some good LB's to be had in the 2nd/3rd rd. Are there any available in FA?

Green1 is out of my picture for now. He's going to have to earn a spot next year.

I want to see how Green2 developes/improves this season. He's a day 2 pick, still on his rookie contract, and experienced in zone blocking. If I'm going to spend a 2024 pick to replace him, I'm going to have to know this pick will be an improvement.

But...I'm also looking ahead to upgrading RG. Mason's contract runs through 2024. We'll either have to extend him or draft/sign his replacement.

And then there's Broeker.

I'm thinking we may need to draft a Guard, but most likely day 3.

With Scruggs, his biggest attributes are his intelligence and his ability to anchor. That alone would help to call defenses and keep that pocket from collapsing and give CJ room to step into a pocket and deliver a ball. I agree Patterson played well against the jags...but his natural position is LG and plays better there. When Scruggs comes back you anchor that Left side of the line with Tunsil, Patterson, and Scruggs and you will now have huge running gaps to drive trucks thru once they are healthy and have cohesion.

I'm looking for difference makers and there are certainly some difference making WR's in this draft and if and edge like Verse fell to them I would be on board with the pick. Ja'Tavion Sanders is another guy I like he's another Jermicheal Finley at worst and all great WCO's have quality TE's.

Bottom line, I'm hoping they pick to the strengths of the draft instead of for need. Is there a quality CB available in this draft and how high do you think the 1st CB will go in this draft? Is there another Gonzalez in this draft?
Verse is another guy but don't see him falling. I was surprised he did not come out last year as he would have been a round one.

KoolAid probably top 10 but KooledOff.

My guy for our 1st: Cooper DeJean.

Dark horses
Round 3 TCU Josh Newton
Round 4 Looking hard at Kris Abrams-Draine 5'11 178 Missouri
18 Ts +5 passes defended and 2 INTs already. If he's the real deal, could see him climbing to round one.
No Chris Gonzalez so far. 😏

Verse is another guy but don't see him falling. I was surprised he did not come out last year as he would have been a round one.

KoolAid probably top 10 but KooledOff.

My guy for our 1st: Cooper DeJean.

Dark horses
Round 3 TCU Josh Newton
Round 4 Looking hard at Kris Abrams-Draine 5'11 178 Missouri
18 Ts +5 passes defended and 2 INTs already. If he's the real deal, could see him climbing to round one.
No Chris Gonzalez so far. 😏
Don't want Kool-Aid

My "average" outlook on Stroud ain't looking so good right now. Not that I'm complaining. In all honesty, I was lazy in my evaluation of Stroud. I just followed along with LZ's analysis.

I haven't really seen anything so far that would indicate to me that Stroud will take steps back in his progression. He's a natural thrower, he doesn't rely on a gimmicky offense, he doesn't run with reckless abandoned, he doesn't have extraordinary talent around him that if you took away some of those guys he would crash down to earth. He's just damn good at ball placement and intuition. He already looks like a guy that always knows where everyone will be and places the ball with pinpoint accuracy and velocity to windows that are the size of a beer can. And I don't think a bad game (which he will have) is going to derail him.

Back