Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

Texian

Hall of Fame
What am I making up?
Well since Kafka spent 4 years with Andy Reid and as Patrick Mahomes QB Coach and passing game coordinator before going to NYG and turning around Daniel Jones, so yeah, I was all in for Kafka. That was after the guy I really wanted had taken the Wisconsin job. Somehow you conveniently left that part out. Maybe a little more research to complete the story. I really do appreciate you going to all the effort and research so you could troll me again. Thanks for reading.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Well since Kafka spent 4 years with Andy Reid and as Patrick Mahomes QB Coach and passing game coordinator before going to NYG and turning around Daniel Jones, so yeah, I was all in for Kafka. That was after the guy I really wanted had taken the Wisconsin job. Somehow you conveniently left that part out. Maybe a little more research to complete the story. I really do appreciate you going to all the effort and research so you could troll me again. Thanks for reading.
So he wasn't wrong.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Just playing fast and loose with the facts.
He said you wanted Kafka. What did he play fast and loose with? You either did or you didn't.

He didn't quote posts from 2021 or 2022 where you wanted someone else that is no longer available. There are all quotes from this hiring cycle. There is no multi-year context that needs to be mansplained.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Only a coach for 5 years, and a coordinator for 2 years. DeMeco's success comes from inheriting one of the best defenses from Robert Saleh. His Texans staff is void of any HC experience and lacks coordinator experience. Is he like Caserio who never trained to be a GM, does DeMeco know the ins and outs of being an HC, 5 years as a coach suggests not. Doesn't appear to be a responsible fiduciary and understands salary cap management. Draft management and haphazardly trading away valuable draft picks are reminiscent of Lovie.

I'm guessing you've never seen Reid or McVeigh resume?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Porky

Hall of Fame
I saw that list, and a year ago...I'd say it is spot on. In fact, about a year ago, I said Cal was the worst owner in all major league sports.

Here's the problem. Perception always lags behind reality. What was isn't always what is.

I sold used cars for a while in the mid-late 90's. My wife also worked there and was well acquainted with cars. We had these POS cars from Korea called Hyundai. I wouldn't have given you a wooden nickel for a dozen of them. My wife exited the business (as did I) but unlike her I continued my interest in cars, and I saw slow changes with Hyundai...then in the mid 2000's they really accelerated and started putting a decently built car on the street.

Fast forward to 2007. I needed a new car and wanted a small/mid sized SUV. So the wife is giving me a list that she likes - all the usual brands. I like a few of those too. Let's go drive them she says. I say fine, but I'd like to go drive a Santa Fe. You'd have thought I just told her I was sleeping with her sister lol. She gave me all kinds of flak. Why would you want one of those POS cars blah blah blah. I know honey, but they've changed. She gave me all kinds of hell.

Finally, she says ok let's go drive one. She wanted me to buy a Saturn (RIP) and I wasn't convinced. So we roll up to the Hyundai dealer, and we take one for a drive. She's actually starting to sound impressed. Oh, this is actually pretty nice. Lots of features for the price. Oh look, they have a long warranty (I knew all of that coming in).

Long story shortened - once she drove it and saw the brand had fixed its worst issues, actually experienced the car firsthand, and spent a little more time researching it, she was sold. We walked out of the dealer a few days later with a brand new Santa Fe. To this day, it's one of the best cars I've owned. Never gave me any trouble. In fact, I sold it too soon. Part of my mid-life crisis after my divorce. I sold it for a BMW. That was a bad move as it turns out. But be that as it may...

I'm sure you can easily pick up the point I'm making so I'll just use inference and hope the ole brain cells can ingest such highbrow prose.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I saw that list, and a year ago...I'd say it is spot on. In fact, about a year ago, I said Cal was the worst owner in all major league sports.

Here's the problem. Perception always lags behind reality. What was isn't always what is.

I sold used cars for a while in the mid-late 90's. My wife also worked there and was well acquainted with cars. We had these POS cars from Korea called Hyundai. I wouldn't have given you a wooden nickel for a dozen of them. My wife exited the business (as did I) but unlike her I continued my interest in cars, and I saw slow changes with Hyundai...then in the mid 2000's they really accelerated and started putting a decently built car on the street.

Fast forward to 2007. I needed a new car and wanted a small/mid sized SUV. So the wife is giving me a list that she likes - all the usual brands. I like a few of those too. Let's go drive them she says. I say fine, but I'd like to go drive a Santa Fe. You'd have thought I just told her I was sleeping with her sister lol. She gave me all kinds of flak. Why would you want one of those POS cars blah blah blah. I know honey, but they've changed. She gave me all kinds of hell.

Finally, she says ok let's go drive one. She wanted me to buy a Saturn (RIP) and I wasn't convinced. So we roll up to the Hyundai dealer, and we take one for a drive. She's actually starting to sound impressed. Oh, this is actually pretty nice. Lots of features for the price. Oh look, they have a long warranty (I knew all of that coming in).

Long story shortened - once she drove it and saw the brand had fixed its worst issues, actually experienced the car firsthand, and spent a little more time researching it, she was sold. We walked out of the dealer a few days later with a brand new Santa Fe. To this day, it's one of the best cars I've owned. Never gave me any trouble. In fact, I sold it too soon. Part of my mid-life crisis after my divorce. I sold it for a BMW. That was a bad move as it turns out. But be that as it may...

I'm sure you can easily pick up the point I'm making so I'll just use inference and hope the ole brain cells can ingest such highbrow prose.
Hyundai and Kia, started like Toyota in the 70s, but got better. Excellent point about the ownership

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
4 HCs in 4 years while Jack Easterby infects the building. Ranking Cal last is fair. It’s also fair for fans of the Texans to have hope things are now turning around.
I would've agreed a year ago.

But things change. All the cancer that was Easterby, O'Brien, and Watson is now gone.

He hired DeMeco. He allowed his HC and GM to work a fantastic draft that brings major upgrades to the team. He's letting his better half influence him, and she's clearly a deeper thinker.

I'm just refusing to live in the past at this point. It seems like a pointless exercise in tail-chasing to not look ahead with a little hope and optimism.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I would've agreed a year ago.

But things change. All the cancer that was Easterby, O'Brien, and Watson is now gone.

He hired DeMeco. He allowed his HC and GM to work a fantastic draft that brings major upgrades to the team. He's letting his better half influence him, and she's clearly a deeper thinker.

I'm just refusing to live in the past at this point. It seems like a pointless exercise in tail-chasing to not look ahead with a little hope and optimism.
That... that's not how things work around here...

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Hyundai and Kia, started like Toyota in the 70s, but got better. Excellent point about the ownership
Honda cars and motorcycles were also looked at with disdain when they first arrived, not to that extent but still...

Texian

Hall of Fame
4 HCs in 4 years while Jack Easterby infects the building. Ranking Cal last is fair. It’s also fair for fans of the Texans to have hope things are now turning around.
Nowhere to go but up but Cal does seem to have a monopoly on the bottom.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
msn.com is certainly the go-to source of any rabid NFL fan. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Haslam gave a serial sexual predator the biggest and fully guaranteed contract in league history, but he's "better" than Cal. Riiiiight. :ok:
Nope, but that doesn't mean Cal's not a terrible owner.

He learned from a profiteer and is following in his footsteps. He cares very little about the on field product, he cares a lot about butts in seats.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Is the point that your choice in cars lead to marital issues? LOL

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Why is it fair now,

What's really changed. The Texans are still owned by the McNair's last time I checked.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Throw in Tommy Chong and you've got yourself a good time.
lol I might not remember it, but it was sure a damn good time! :ouch:

Nope, but that doesn't mean Cal's not a terrible owner.

He learned from a profiteer and is following in his footsteps. He cares very little about the on field product, he cares a lot about butts in seats.
Every owner in the NFL is a profiteer. The entire league is about making filthy amounts of money. I can't criticize one owner when they are all the same in that regard.

I just have to believe that things are changing on Kirby. Maybe he's learned some valuable lessons. Maybe he's letting other people make the big decisions. Maybe he really is turning it all over to the football minds and getting out of their way.

But, if I truly believe that he's the worst owner in the NFL and incapable of improving, then I'd lose complete interest in this team. I would see no point in spending my time watching a product that could not improve because the owner is incapable of getting better at his job.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
lol I might not remember it, but it was sure a damn good time! :ouch:

Every owner in the NFL is a profiteer. The entire league is about making filthy amounts of money. I can't criticize one owner when they are all the same in that regard.

I just have to believe that things are changing on Kirby. Maybe he's learned some valuable lessons. Maybe he's letting other people make the big decisions. Maybe he really is turning it all over to the football minds and getting out of their way.

But, if I truly believe that he's the worst owner in the NFL and incapable of improving, then I'd lose complete interest in this team. I would see no point in spending my time watching a product that could not improve because the owner is incapable of getting better at his job.
I'm getting closer to coming to this conclusion. After about 2 1/2 yrs I will have the answer I'm looking for, one things for sure, I'm not giving the McNair's anymore of my money.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Honda cars and motorcycles were also looked at with disdain when they first arrived, not to that extent but still...
My uncle was in the union that made parts for gm during the gas crisis. When my cousin came hone with a Datsun B210, it was like a war was happening at their house. He was truly big mad for a long, long time.

Reactions: JB

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For those who think they kidnapped Nick and put a bag on his head to make sure he drafted a qb.

I'll never believe a word that comes out of Cal's mouth.

“Hannah [McNair’s wife] and I don’t make the picks. We’ll make it clear there,” McNair said. “We have a great group of scouts led by [general manager] Nick [Caserio] and James Lippert … and they moved up when they saw the value was there and moved back.”
But does he think "they" moved up for a QB?

Texian

Hall of Fame
I'll never believe a word that comes out of Cal's mouth.

But does he think "they" moved up for a QB?
I too, never believe a word that comes out of Cal's mouth. It's not because I think he's lying, it's because so often he just doesn't know what he's talking about. Now if it were about video games then he is probably spot on.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I'm getting closer to coming to this conclusion. After about 2 1/2 yrs I will have the answer I'm looking for, one things for sure, I'm not giving the McNair's anymore of my money.
Seems we are always looking for the "answer" with the Texans.
Maybe there has finally been a positive with Hanna, Casserio and DeMeco entering the scene.
One can only hope. Unless we close our eyes to the possibility. Glad to see you :foottap: have decided to continue waiting.

:coffee:

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Seems we are always looking for the "answer" with the Texans.
Maybe there has finally been a positive with Hanna, Casserio and DeMeco entering the scene.
One can only hope. Unless we close our eyes to the possibility. Glad to see you have decided to continue waiting.:foottap:

:coffee:
Waiting, but not spending anymore money buying the McNair's BS.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
For those who think they kidnapped Nick and put a bag on his head to make sure he drafted a qb.

I guess Hannah's now a liar, too, because they both have to be in order to fulfill the ongoing narrative.

It can't be just as simple as Cal realizing he's better off hiring football people and letting them build a team. That would just be too basic and logical.

Naaaaahhhhh, we need conspiracies and hidden agendas in order to be fulfilled as fans. lol :tinfoil:

Porky

Hall of Fame
I was just joking with you.

Glad to see that things worked out well for you.
I took it as a joke so no worries at all. We're good. I'm a good sport and not the sensitive type. I have a thick skin and don't take things personally (with rare exceptions).

That said...to the substance, you can be bitter or you can be better. I choose the latter. Bitterness is poison. You've got to let that **** roll off you like water off a duck's back.

Sorry for the intrusion on the thread but hey it's the offseason. We're entitled to go off-subject here and there. I know it never, ever happens but indulge me just once. :lol:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I took it as a joke so no worries at all. We're good. I'm a good sport and not the sensitive type. I have a thick skin and don't take things personally (with rare exceptions).

That said...to the substance, you can be bitter or you can be better. I choose the latter. Bitterness is poison. You've got to let that **** roll off you like water off a duck's back.

Sorry for the intrusion on the thread but hey it's the offseason. We're entitled to go off-subject here and there. I know it never, ever happens but indulge me just once. :lol:
Off topic

Apathetic would best describe my fandom. For the 1st time since 1994: I'm seriously considering not getting the NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't like where the NFL is headed, not that they care about what I think, or the game itself for that matter.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Off topic

Apathetic would best describe my fandom. For the 1st time since 1994: I'm seriously considering not getting the NFL Sunday Ticket. I don't like where the NFL is headed, not that they care about what I think, or the game itself for that matter.
You can get a live box score ply-by-play feed. When I can't get Texans games which is more and more common, I follow Yahoo's live play-by-play feed and it's free. To be honest for the last decade the Texans have not been worth the price of a Sunday Ticket.