Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Cal McNair

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If they get "good" Watson I can see Cleveland winning 10 games or more. They won 7 last year without Watson for much of the season. The beat the Steelers once (without Watson) and played Buffalo tough late in the season and they beat the Ravens late in the season.

At worst I think the Browns are a 9-8 team.

I have no idea what kind of season the Texans will have. Stroud will be a work in progress, neither Case nor Mills are very good. Metchie is an unknown. They don't have a true #1 wr. Schultz is okay but the TE group is still weak. The Texans defense gave up nearly 3,000 yards on the ground last year. I'm not sure if they got enough for that side of the ball. Will Anderson will help but he's only one guy.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all pans out.
Browns lost Kareem hunt. Their biggest offensive weapon is the running game not Watson. Losing Hunt and running Chubb into the ground this upcoming season will not yield the results the Browns are hoping for. Chubb is going into his 6th year and is going to average 20 touches easily.

Their wide receivers aren’t great. Maybe below average.

And they have a question at the HC and the offensive play calling.

This is an honest question but besides Myles Garrett who is the defensive presence on the line? Garrett used to have Clowney and up until last year that helped take some pressure off.

Their secondary is good I think unless they loss someone.

Anything can happen in the division. But let’s not water down the Bengals and Ravens. One went to the AFC Championship and the other was in the playoffs without their star QB.

I think Browns win 4-6 and fire the HC at the end of the season.

Texans will be night and day from last year. Better WRs, better QBs, better Overall Defense, better OL. Our RBs are going to be good as well.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Browns lost Kareem hunt. Their biggest offensive weapon is the running game not Watson. Losing Hunt and running Chubb into the ground this upcoming season will not yield the results the Browns are hoping for. Chubb is going into his 6th year and is going to average 20 touches easily.

Their wide receivers aren’t great. Maybe below average.

And they have a question at the HC and the offensive play calling.

This is an honest question but besides Myles Garrett who is the defensive presence on the line? Garrett used to have Clowney and up until last year that helped take some pressure off.

Their secondary is good I think unless they loss someone.

Anything can happen in the division. But let’s not water down the Bengals and Ravens. One went to the AFC Championship and the other was in the playoffs without their star QB.

I think Browns win 4-6 and fire the HC at the end of the season.

Texans will be night and day from last year. Better WRs, better QBs, better Overall Defense, better OL. Our RBs are going to be good as well.
To reiterate, if the Browns get "good" Watson they will be better than what you're predicting. Have we all been so jaded by him that we've all forgotten what Watson can do working with very few weapons? He probably had less here than he'll have this year with the Browns. And you mention coaching, Watson here had O'Brien.

Now, if Watson is washed and he plays poorly again, yeah, I agree, at most 4-6 wins for the Browns.

TK usually plays devil's advocate; I'm just keeping his seat warm.

House of Pain

Wild Speculator
I love all the theories about Cal

1. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted Tommy Boy
2. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted money mark that is getting fleeced by guys likes Easterby, O'Brien, Caserio, and their loser buddies like McCown
3. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted whipped guy that is controlled by Hannah
4. Cal is a conniving, money-hungry SOB that forced DeMeco and Caserio to take Stroud purely for money
5. Cal is a conniving, money-hungry SOB that tried to prevent Stroud from being drafted because he is butthurt over the agent
6. Cal is a conniving, money-hungry SOB that covered up Watson's crimes
7. Cal is a thin skinned racist
8. Cal is a thin-skinned racist that engineered a vast conspiracy to ruin Watson's career after he refused to play for the Texans.
9. Cal is a conniving, money-hungry SOB that is whipped by Hannah

Am I missing anything?
only the best one...

10. Cal is a cuckold (by Easterby?). Here's one of many posts calling him so: "Calhoun treated this situation like the Cuck that he is and his franchise is still suffering the consequences of that decision."
I'm going to take it a step further lol

2002-2018
1. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted Tommy Boy

2019-2022
2. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted money mark that is getting fleeced by guys likes Easterby, O'Brien, Caserio, and their loser buddies like McCown

2023 & beyond
3. Cal is a well-meaning, but dimwitted whipped guy that is controlled by Hannah

:spit:
I’ve said this before but I have no problem holding Cal accountable especially in light of all the blunders and mismanagement that took place over the last several years. However the contradictory nonsense and slander (technically libel, but I digress) that is spewed on this board about Cal is absolutely ridiculous. For the sake of argument, Cal may be the worst owner in the NFL but there is no way you can tell me he’s not trying to win back fans and put the best product out there on the field.

Some of y’all need help, Jesus or both 😂

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’ve said this before but I have no problem holding Cal accountable especially in light of all the blunders and mismanagement that took place over the last several years. However the contradictory nonsense and slander (technically libel, but I digress) that is spewed on this board about Cal is absolutely ridiculous. For the sake of argument, Cal may be the worst owner in the NFL but there is no way you can tell me he’s not trying to win back fans and put the best product out there on the field.

Since you quoted me, my posts about Cal are specifically and solely about him as an owner, not the human being that is Cal McNair. I've read nothing but good things about him as a person.

And the majority of the crap I write is sarcastic, so most likely misunderstood by most folks.

Truth be told, I think the family situation on Kirby is a lot more complex than the simpleton black and white narrative that has formed over the years. I think losing Bob McNair understandably hit the family hard, and after he passed, the family placed their trust in men that were not worthy of it. Namely, Bill O'Brien, Jack Easterby, and Deshaun Watson.

I think they've learned a lot and have now made some really good decisions with Nick and DeMeco. I think Cal will fade into the background as he lets those guys run his franchise. JMO.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Bingo! Cal moved into Bob's office and Mama told him to do exactly what his Daddy did. So Cal has his weekly Kirby Boardroom meetings. For the most part, Cal has taken a lackadaisical approach and let O'Brien, Easterby, and Caserio run things. After the Culley hiring, and firing fiasco he re-engaged somewhat, "You've to trust us we know what we are doing". After the Lovie fiasco, Hannah grabbed him by the hand and led him to the podium to declare he was now fully engaged. Contrary to what many believe Cal did not hire DeMeco. DeMeco hired the Texans because he wanted to bring his family back to Houston. Early indications are DeMeco may not be the HC everyone is wanting him to be.
Expound on your conclusion.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Expound on your conclusion.
Only a coach for 5 years, and a coordinator for 2 years. DeMeco's success comes from inheriting one of the best defenses from Robert Saleh. His Texans staff is void of any HC experience and lacks coordinator experience. Is he like Caserio who never trained to be a GM, does DeMeco know the ins and outs of being an HC, 5 years as a coach suggests not. Doesn't appear to be a responsible fiduciary and understands salary cap management. Draft management and haphazardly trading away valuable draft picks are reminiscent of Lovie.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
By early indications, concerning DeMeco, who has yet to be the Head Coach for a single game, you’re throwing him under your bus? Way to be patient and judgemental. He has brought in the juice, energy and excitement back to the Texan organization and has done nothing that negatively affects Texans moving forward.

Caserio is the GM who works the phones and makes the deals. Let DeMeco coach first, for entire season until you project him a bust. We’ve seen GM’s & Head Coaches come and go, but DeMeco signed a six year contract and far as I’m concerned, more importantly ownership is concerned he has lived up to expectations, if anything exceeded expectations in a very, very short time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He has brought in the juice, energy and excitement back to the Texan organization and has done nothing that negatively affects Texans moving forward.
Not really the “reason” to hire a HC. I’d have felt a lot better if he brought in a solid coordinator. At least on offense. Jim Caldwell would have been great.

I know Pep Hamilton didn’t work out well. But honestly there are way too many unknowns on this staff.

Texian

Hall of Fame
By early indications, concerning DeMeco, who has yet to be the Head Coach for a single game, you’re throwing him under your bus? Way to be patient and judgemental. He has brought in the juice, energy and excitement back to the Texan organization and has done nothing that negatively affects Texans moving forward.

Caserio is the GM who works the phones and makes the deals. Let DeMeco coach first, for entire season until you project him a bust. We’ve seen GM’s & Head Coaches come and go, but DeMeco signed a six year contract and far as I’m concerned, more importantly ownership is concerned he has lived up to expectations, if anything exceeded expectations in a very, very short time.
Well, you ask me to expound, so I did. Clearly, you don't agree. So, while I am throwing him under the bus (expressing concerns about why he might not be who you want him to be) you're chiseling away at his bust for his enshrinement into Canton. For all the reasons I listed, there are a lot more HC failures than there are winners.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Only a coach for 5 years, and a coordinator for 2 years. DeMeco's success comes from inheriting one of the best defenses from Robert Saleh. His Texans staff is void of any HC experience and lacks coordinator experience. Is he like Caserio who never trained to be a GM, does DeMeco know the ins and outs of being an HC, 5 years as a coach suggests not. Doesn't appear to be a responsible fiduciary and understands salary cap management. Draft management and haphazardly trading away valuable draft picks are reminiscent of Lovie.

@Texian has a negative stigma about him for good reason ,but nothing in his post is impractical. Every concern he voiced is sound. I worry about game management as well with such a young/new hc.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Not really the “reason” to hire a HC. I’d have felt a lot better if he brought in a solid coordinator. At least on offense. Jim Caldwell would have been great.

I know Pep Hamilton didn’t work out well. But honestly there are way too many unknowns on this staff.
Trust the process

beerlover

Hall of Fame
@Texian has a negative stigma about him for good reason ,but nothing in his post is impractical. Every concern he voiced is sound. I worry about game management as well with such a young/new hc.
Nothing sound about not giving the man a chance to coach for a season. Seems that’s what we’ve been doing, hopefully this time it’s different but let’s wait and see.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Nothing sound about not giving the man a chance to coach for a season. Seems that’s what we’ve been doing, hopefully this time it’s different but let’s wait and see.

So you should coach for a season? Or me?

History doesn't matter?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The man is DeMeco not you or me.

He had his strategy in place, which he sold to Cal (ownership) & Nick. They took some time, interviewed a few others, then came back to Ryan’s and offered him a six year contract. He accepted, and communicated his vision to the public. Far as I can tell, he is executing everything promised and more.

There is no reason to throw him under the bus. He hasn’t even coached his first game. Expectations are 6 1/2 wins, per Vegas. That’s a good start but you & Texian are complaining without due course.

Understand the psychological damage this franchise has inflected on its fan base all too well. I’m guilty many times, including recently kicking Caserio to the kerb before this draft. Also fret a little about compensation given to Arizona in exchange for the #3 selection (could turn into Marvin Harrison Jr.) but that’s worst case, and not DeMeco but Caserio. He would be the fall guy not Ryan.

This will be, most anticipated season in Texan franchise history. For a lot of reasons, biggest of all will be DeMeco Ryans led Texan Football Team.

:logo:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good looking out bro.

But I’m more worried about Stefanski. I don’t know if “good Watson” can overcome that.
It's always somebody elses fault besides Derrick. He's a coach killer and he will have his minority GM/HC/QB room after this yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

No doubt he and especially Hannah are trying to do everything possible to put butts back in the seats. Unfortunately at the price of being a long time championship contender. Good news is the I want to be entertained crowd should be very happy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Ryans hasn't done anything yet, except signing off on the Stroud pick, trading for Anderson and bringing in a few guys from the 49ers. Lets see how he does as a gameday HC before passing judgement.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The man is DeMeco not you or me.

He had his strategy in place, which he sold to Cal (ownership) & Nick. They took some time, interviewed a few others, then came back to Ryan’s and offered him a six year contract. He accepted, and communicated his vision to the public. Far as I can tell, he is executing everything promised and more.

There is no reason to throw him under the bus. He hasn’t even coached his first game. Expectations are 6 1/2 wins, per Vegas. That’s a good start but you & Texian are complaining without due course.

Understand the psychological damage this franchise has inflected on its fan base all too well. I’m guilty many times, including recently kicking Caserio to the kerb before this draft. Also fret a little about compensation given to Arizona in exchange for the #3 selection (could turn into Marvin Harrison Jr.) but that’s worst case, and not DeMeco but Caserio. He would be the fall guy not Ryan.

This will be, most anticipated season in Texan franchise history. For a lot of reasons, biggest of all will be DeMeco Ryans led Texan Football Team.

:logo:
Rah Rah Rah

Cant wait to see this MB when he makes mistakes that all HC's do. Are the posters here going to give him the BOB treatment?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If he makes mistakes that "all HC's do," will you give him a pass or a second chance?
What I think doesn't matter.

I noticed you answered a question with a question.

Do you think Ryans will get the BOB treatment around these parts?

Texian

Hall of Fame
No doubt he and especially Hannah are trying to do everything possible to put butts back in the seats. Unfortunately at the price of being a long time championship contender. Good news is the I want to be entertained crowd should be very happy.
New uniforms and colors are prime examples of Cal desperately trying to generate some new marketing $$$ to replace all of the lost revenues from years before. This was done before he had an idea of how he might put butts back in seats. Those holding, Sell the Team Cal signs below his box resonated.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Probably.

Maybe not the way you remember it, but most will give him the benefit of the doubt at the start. Hopefully DeMeco is better at reading the room & making lemonade.
I remember many that didn't like the hire to begin with. Of course those same posters hated all things Foxboro.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I remember many that didn't like the hire to begin with. Of course those same posters hated all things Foxboro.
I didn’t like the hire, but I hoped for the best. But he started that college locker room crap early & started wearing on me.

I remember after his 1st win here they showed his locker room speech & he was all, “that’s how you win!!!”

I mean this was a playoff team he took over. Maybe not the year before but he was in a locker room full of guys who were used to winning.

badboy

Hall of Fame
To reiterate, if the Browns get "good" Watson they will be better than what you're predicting. Have we all been so jaded by him that we've all forgotten what Watson can do working with very few weapons? He probably had less here than he'll have this year with the Browns. And you mention coaching, Watson here had O'Brien.

Now, if Watson is washed and he plays poorly again, yeah, I agree, at most 4-6 wins for the Browns.

TK usually plays devil's advocate; I'm just keeping his seat warm.
Watson can be twice as good as last season and still not increase wins.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Beat me to it Good post!

badboy

Hall of Fame

True but only one way to become known. Let the season roll.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Watson can be twice as good as last season and still not increase wins.
Wouldn’t it be ironic if the 7-10 Browns finish behind the 3-13-1 Texans in 2023-24? The Texans still own the Browns 1st & 4th selections in the 2024 NFL Draft. Will Anderson will start paying dividends early.

Distinction here, is they blame suspension and rusty Watson for finishing 3rd in AFC North but haven’t done much this offseason to improve. Meanwhile Bengals and Baltimore loaded up for postseason runs and Steelers much improved. Browns could easily wind up finishing in last place in division.

Texans are gonna surprise people, may need until the bye week to put it all together, but barring any significant injuries are going to be much more competitive with DeMeco dialing up his defense and Slowik managing Stroud’s development. Raw, raw, raw :fans:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Rah Rah Rah

Cant wait to see this MB when he makes mistakes that all HC's do. Are the posters here going to give him the BOB treatment?
I’m the last raw, raw Texan guy ever. I follow two teams now because of it, possibly three. I just dig the scouting aspect and how the better coaching staffs seem to consistantly get it right.

Here is a guy, drafted by the Chargers, from a Patriot site “called the perfect Patriot” type. At first didn’t think much about him, I mean how could all the teams pass on DT middle 6th in a class thought to be razor thin?

First thing jumps out #99
Second thing motor, strength to speed.
Catching TD’s as a TE 6-4 300 plus ran a 4.81 forty & 29 reps on bench @ his pro day, I mean who could that possibly remind you of?

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
What I think doesn't matter.

I noticed you answered a question with a question.

Do you think Ryans will get the BOB treatment around these parts?
If he does BOB things, he'll get BOB treatment. There, I answered your question. Will you answer mine

If he makes mistakes that "all HC's do," as you said, will you give him a pass or a second chance?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If he does BOB things, he'll get BOB treatment. There, I answered your question. Will you answer mine

If he makes mistakes that "all HC's do," as you said, will you give him a pass or a second chance?
As a rookie I will, but it's going to be fun watching the reaction to him screwing up vs BOB vs Kubiak. I bet yrs from now he will get the Kubiak treatment even if he's screwing up simple things like timeouts 3 yrs from now.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
As a rookie I will, but it's going to be fun watching the reaction to him screwing up vs BOB vs Kubiak. I bet yrs from now he will get the Kubiak treatment even if he's screwing up simple things like timeouts 3 yrs from now.
Andy Reid still makes clock management mistakes. If Demeco can't handle it, I hope he's smart enough to hire someone to tell him what the right move is, so he can at least take their info into consideration.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Andy Reid still makes clock management mistakes. If Demeco can't handle it, I hope he's smart enough to hire someone to tell him what the right move is, so he can at least take their info into consideration.
There are plenty of instances where this isn't true, but for me, offense based HCs have a tendency to have clock management issues (no matter how great they are at other things). Defensive coaches tend to be thriftier with their time, but sometimes they trust their defense more to stop guys than they trust their offense to score points or make 4th downs.

Demeco and this staff have to gel. This year, he might make a few time management mistakes, but I'm not expecting very many.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
2024 would be the right time for a uniform change. Hope they get the new look right b/c a duck up like the Rockets uniform change could be a groin shot to the McNair’s.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DeMeco's got years to build this thing. The McNairs will give him plenty of time. I'm sure they're tired of the circus and want the stability that comes with the patience to trust the process.

Some fans are going to have aneurysms and emotional meltdowns because they want immediate gratification. Ignore them. Enjoy the ride instead. :howdy:

Texian

Hall of Fame
It was 6 years coaching in the NFL for Ryans (2017-2022), 2 as coordinator. The guy you were pushing, Mike Kafka, has 6 years coaching in the NFL, 1 as coordinator.

Why do you make it so easy to show you up? You don't even believe the crap you're posting.
When you resort to making stuff up I'm sure it makes it easier for you.