Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this clearer?

2913871_1343546628676.1res_384_500.jpg
heck no! I dang near swallowed my gum and I don't mean chewing.

So the Texans pay $18 Million a year for a benched QB, Good Grief! This now tells me that Goff or Wentz will drop out of the Top 10.

So let me get this straight .... coach BO just signed qp BO ... somethings not passing the smell test

Good with it. Makes sense... assuming he turns out to be the chosen one, or close to it. Build around your highest paid player with the draft that won't cost as much - prob better to go that route than a QB on the cheap (through draft) and pay more for surround FA players.

$18 mil a year puts him about mid-pack of QB salaries.

I wonder if Lardass McClain will admit he was wrong? He spent the past week trying to convince everyone that he knew for a fact Brock was NOT coming to Houston. Eat a turd, Fatty McFatarse.

:heh:

:spit:

When I heard McClain grunt this morning that he believed that Brock would stay with Denver and Savage would be our game 1 starter, I got a little excited and started to believe that the Texans had a real chance to land Brock.

Is Pancakes ever right about anything with the Texans? :mcclain:
Exactly, I texted a couple of friends to get their Osweiler jerseys before the rush, as soon as McClain tweeted that :)

I wonder if Lardass McClain will admit he was wrong? He spent the past week trying to convince everyone that he knew for a fact Brock was NOT coming to Houston. Eat a turd, Fatty McFatarse.

It's a first....

John McClainVerified account‏@McClain_on_NFL
I need 2b clear: I'm a moron! I said no way Broncos let Osweiler leave. What do I know? I'm an idiot! Still shocked!

... and apparently Oz will start....
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
I've been saying since season ended I expect Tom Savage to be Texans' opening day starter and young QB will play when OB says he's ready.

I'm with you on that, i fell BO has potential but that is way to much to pay an unproven player IMO.
But trading away future draft picks to draft a guy with zero NFL experience is a good idea? I'm not saying you think that, but many on here do.
Wow! Biggest FA signing in the Texans history? I mean it's a QB with real upside.

Without regard to the quality of player Brock is now or has the potential to be I must say I'm just happy that the Texans finally took a chance. Yes...it's a chance. It could blow up in their face. It could also be a stroke of genius.

If it blows up, it blows up. It also has a decent chance of paying off. I would rather take a swing at the fences than this notion that we can keep trying to lay down a bunt for a single at the most important position in team sports.

I think this also tells us what they think of the draft scenarios. The guys they (likely) really want would take a massive trade to get. Say what you want about this guy vs. Wentz or any of the others...but we didn't have to give up a single draft pick or any other personnel to get BO. That has to be figured into the evaluation. OTOH, it is more costly.

For better or worse, that contract very clearly says that BO is here not to compete for the job - the job is 100% his unless he falls off the face of the earth. With all that said, I'm not sure we need to even consider a QB at all in the draft. My original thinking was we still might look to draft a guy high but I think they might want to find another piece that can be used around him rather than future competition.

Either Savage or Weeden makes for a fine #2 imo. I'm not sure Weeden would stick around as the #3. Seems unlikely. Savage has no choice. Or make Savage #2 and get a guy late in the draft that has some sort of upside.
I would not be surprised at all if the Texans took a QB in the 1st or second. Cook, Coker, Hogan...as long as it isn't Hackensack. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Texans took a flyer on Hackensack in the 4th or so, if they don't take one of the above earlier.

Man, I'm getting a migraine. Feels like we got taken to the cleaners
at a used car dealership..

I hope BoB knows what he is doing. Brock moves no needles for me.
MMM EEE HHH!

Y'all should lighten up on McClain, like you, like me he is a fan first, like you, like me he wears his feelings and opinions on his sleeve. Like you, like me, many of his opinions are wrong.

Man, I'm getting a migraine. Feels like we got taken to the cleaners
at a used car dealership..

I hope BoB knows what he is doing. Brock moves no needles for me.
MMM EEE HHH!

You prefer Hoyer or spending a lot of draft capital to move up to select a QB?

Well, today was a good day no matter how you spin it. This is the best free agency the Texans have had since they signed Johnathan Joseph and Daniel Manning in 2011.

Lamar Miller is legit and for whatever reason, he has never gotten the rock as much as he should have in Miami. And Brock has the size and arm strength you look for in a starting QB. They are also doing a decent job of shoring up the offensive line with the losses of Brooks and Jones.

This is the first day in about 3 years that I have been happy with the Texans. Good job!

Holy.****.

Im shocked. Texans took a gamble. I was wrong in thinking that the Broncos would spend whatever to keep their guy. Elway was burdened with the tough task of beating an already inflated offer and he balked. Makes you wonder.

So this is the guy. All I can do is shrug. Cant really say Im very excited at all really. I think you are setting yourself up for salary cap hell if it doesnt pan out. Lot of guranteed money on a guy who only has 7 starts to his name. Beauty is we will see very fast what Mr Osweiler can do.

I also look at this 'prototype' QB and wonder if his frame will be able to endure the grind of an entire season he seems kinda skinny and frail, but this is the guy. Gotta love him or the Die Hard Liberty Blue Bloods will get grumpy at you.

Welcome to Houston.

I'm as happy as a pig pissin' on cotton.

I like some of what I have seen from him, but I have no Idea if Osweiler is good or not or will be a star QB that we desperately want and need.

I'm pumped though that they are finally putting their stamp on this thing and no longer farking around with the likes of Brian Hoyer. If he's the guy great!!!
If he's not then OB will be gone and if it pleases the cosmic forces of the Universe so will Rick Smith.

Last edited:
So anyone know the story on this guy? In the league for four years, active for 25 games (inactive for 39), and started 4 games. What's up with that? Was active for all 16 games in '15, and that's where 3 of his starts came.

Combo G/C. Got a lot of snaps as a rookie in Oakland's zone scheme but they moved to a power scheme and he fell down the depth chart.

I assume he's a depth signing. Not a guy I would expect to start but BOB loves versatile linemen. Basically a poor man's Ben Jones.

Reactions: JB
My eyeball test say's the Texan's D is a whole lot closer to the Denver D than Hoyer is to Osweiler. Or any other competent NFL QB, for that matter.
Good for you, I haven't seen enough of Osweiller to be able to make that decision.

Holy.****.

Im shocked. Texans took a gamble. I was wrong in thinking that the Broncos would spend whatever to keep their guy. Elway was burdened with the tough task of beating an already inflated offer and he balked. Makes you wonder.

So this is the guy. All I can do is shrug. Cant really say Im very excited at all really. I think you are setting yourself up for salary cap hell if it doesnt pan out. Lot of guranteed money on a guy who only has 7 starts to his name. Beauty is we will see very fast what Mr Osweiler can do.

I also look at this 'prototype' QB and wonder if his frame will be able to endure the grind of an entire season he seems kinda skinny and frail, but this is the guy. Gotta love him or the Die Hard Liberty Blue Bloods will get grumpy at you.

Welcome to Houston.
Well the Broncos had gone up to 4 years 60 with 30 mil guaranteed so they tried hard to keep him even with a tight cap.

You prefer Hoyer or spending a lot of draft capital to move up to select a QB?
the answer to your statement/question regarding Hoyer is that Hoyer should already be gone.
And I wonder why you asked that question with Hoyer and not Savage as the what-if guy?

I hate Kaepernick. I hate RGIII.

But I like both of those guys over an 18 million dollar Osweiler.

You would have to give up draft picks for Kaepernick and pay him 19 million... and his injury history

RG3 not getting a lot of interest for a reason

I hate Kaepernick. I hate RGIII.

But I like both of those guys over an 18 million dollar Osweiler.
Why? It's not your money. I value draft picks much more than I do Mr. McNair's money. This deal isn't cap-wrecking. It's not like the Texan's just paid A-Rod money to the guy, but the potential for A-Rod production is there. I'm perfectly happy with this deal. I even called it, as far as average salary and guaranteed money. :D

Where would you be if the Texans gave up a boat load of draft picks and drafted Goff or Wentz? Just as much, if not more of a gamble.

Fleeer is above avg receiving but not much of a blocking TE. I m mixed on whether I want him but he did avg almost 10 yds this last year but did not play much IIRC

Why? It's not your money. I value draft picks much more than I do Mr. McNair's money. This deal isn't cap-wrecking. It's not like the Texan's just paid A-Rod money to the guy, but the potential for A-Rod production is there. I'm perfectly happy with this deal. I even called it, as far as average salary and guaranteed money. :D

Where would you be if the Texans gave up a boat load of draft picks and drafted Goff or Wentz? Just as much, if not more of a gamble.

Having watched Osweiler, I just don't see the value there. It isn't my money, but it is the team I want
to see win. If he stinks, then we just blew a wad., and cap, and wasted 3 years thinking this guy
was a franchise guy.

Fleener isn't a real threat. Without Luck he averaged 9 yards per catch.
Has he even been used all that much? He's always had Dwyane Allen taking away all the red zone opportunities, and the Colts have never seemed to be a team that used the TE very much.

Well, my opinion on him hasn't changed, but there is a little bit of koolaid happening in the Scooter home because we aggressively addressed needs at RB and QB. I'd still target a quarterback in the first round if at all possible and try to locate an inside linebacker directly after.

Y'all should lighten up on McClain, like you, like me he is a fan first, like you, like me he wears his feelings and opinions on his sleeve. Like you, like me, many of his opinions are wrong.

ha! (totally about lighten up on McClain, not at your perspective) He gets paid for his opinions (unlike you, unlike me), has regular appearances on many radio shows for his 'expert' opinions (unlike you, unlike me), and is the NFLN's "go to" expert for all things Houston Texans (unlike you, unlike me).

And if he's a football fan, I have no doubt that he's a Titans fan first and foremost. The Texans is just a job to him.

He's got great war stores, though. I do enjoy it when he gets on a roll about Houston Oilers history and his experiences.

I'm as happy as a pig pissin' on cotton.

I like some of what I have seen from him, but I have no Idea if Osweiler is good or not or will be a star QB that we desperately want and need.

I'm pumped though that they are finally putting their stamp on this thing and no longer farking around with the likes of Brian Hoyer.

This is where I'm at. I'm neither a fortune teller nor talent evaluator, so I'm not going to predict anything.

But, it does restore some hope for the future, and that's all this Texans fan can ask for after having any hope completely obliterated on March 11, 2015 when they signed Brian Hoyer.

As far as the money is concerned, it's not my money, so spend away! :D

What I do like about Brock is that he appears to fulfill just about everything that O'Brien has stated that he wants in his QB. This is clearly an O'Brien decision with Smith making it happen. And I'm going to stay optimistic after seeing what O'Brien could do with the various 7 QBs we've seen the past two seasons.

Besides, with a J.J. Watt defense, we do not need a QB that is going to have to carry the team to victory. We need someone who can consistently move the offense and put some points on the board so the defense can do it's job and protect a lead. And since Brock is not a rookie, we don't have that 2-3 year learning curve. He's been studying under one of the NFL's great QBs in Manning, and really, that's something that cannot be discounted when you consider what is expected from a QB regarding leadership, film study, and just day-to-day game prep.

Well, my opinion on him hasn't changed, but there is a little bit of koolaid happening in the Scooter home because we aggressively addressed needs at RB and QB. I'd still target a quarterback in the first round if at all possible and try to locate an inside linebacker directly after.
Hell no. Having two QB's is the same as having none. Plus, you don't pay Brock 18M per year to compete for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back