Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a ton of money.

But that's what you pay for when you refuse to draft them.
We tried but it's never good enough: David Carr (#1 overall), Dave Ragone (third round), Tom Savage (fourth round). We've drafted guys fairly high, albeit many years in between.

We traded for Schaub a year too late - probably could have drafed Aaron Rodgers instead of Travis Johnson but hindsight is 20-20. Schaub was very good here when healthy. Pro Bowl MVP (I know, it's not much) and led the league in passing one year.

Brock Osweiler will likely become our best QB in franchise history, breaking all of Matt Schaub's records. Not saying much but still...

Yeah, but we just lost 2/5ths of our O-line!. Gotta have good players in the trenches or it's all for nothing!
But we still have an anchor at Left Tackle in All Pro Duane Brown, the most important O-Line position. We have depth there as well re-signing Chris Clark. We can find a new center and right guard. Those are easier to find than a left tackle.

Keep in mind, 18 mil per year is the going rate for a starter, Sam Bradford commanded that money, this amount does not surprise me.
True. Kirk Cousins, who has not beaten a winning team and is quite possibly overrated, is making $19 million in 2016. Albeit the franchise tag.

Brock Osweiler defeated the Patriots in a game last season.
You know, those same Pats which seem to have our number.

Yeah, but we just lost 2/5ths of our O-line!. Gotta have good players in the trenches or it's all for nothing!

And we signed Jeff Allen from KC... hopefully Mancz is ready to start at C, if not we can get a good one in the draft

my optimism about this team is the same as it was before...as in I'm always hopeful we have a good season. This signing doesn't raise it any higher or lower it.

Honestly I'm more pumped about the Lamar Miller signing and the fact that folks around here thinking we're a qb away can now shut up...

Still need more offensive weaponry though.

But we still have an anchor at Left Tackle in All Pro Duane Brown, the most important O-Line position. We have depth there as well re-signing Chris Clark. We can find a new center and right guard. Those are easier to find than a left tackle.

Just signed the RG in Allen, now we need to find a Center in FA or the draft...

I'm no more optimistic about this team than I was before this news came out b/c frankly I don't see Osweiler as a franchise guy.

Honestly I'm more pumped about the Lamar Miller signing and the fact that folks around here thinking we're a qb away can now shut up...

I'm with you on that, i fell BO has potential but that is way to much to pay an unproven player IMO.

I'm more than happy to be wrong about everything I was guessing in regard to what was going to happen.

As much as I was hoping it would happen, it's still a risky signing. If he's good Schaub or better, then we have a solid foundation to build on, and we should expect good things in the next few years (still got to address some holes - most notably O-Line). If he's Scott Mitchell circa 2016, then we can only hope that the contract was structured so that the Texans can move on after a couple of seasons to a new QB (and HC and GM).

But for now, welcome to Brock, and congrats to the Texans for finally addressing the most important position in professional sports in a meaningful way. Here's hoping they have the future best QB in Texans history on board.

they do have treatment for that although it could be painful and embarrassing

:heh:

...and the Cowboys. That's like getting Herpes followed by Gonorrhea.

:spit:

So at what point does Mclain stop trying to act like he has an inside scoop with the Texans? Everything I remember him reporting since OB took over has gone the other way.

When I heard McClain grunt this morning that he believed that Brock would stay with Denver and Savage would be our game 1 starter, I got a little excited and started to believe that the Texans had a real chance to land Brock.

Is Pancakes ever right about anything with the Texans? :mcclain:

my optimism about this team is the same as it was before...as in I'm always hopeful we have a good season. This signing doesn't raise it any higher or lower it.

upload_2016-3-9_15-8-3.jpeg

So at what point does Mclain stop trying to act like he has an inside scoop with the Texans? Everything I remember him reporting since OB took over has gone the other way.

:heh:

:spit:

When I heard McClain grunt this morning that he believed that Brock would stay with Denver and Savage would be our game 1 starter, I got a little excited and started to believe that the Texans had a real chance to land Brock.

Is Pancakes ever right about anything with the Texans? :mcclain:

Yep. The only reason I care what he has to say is that whatever that may be, the opposite is damn near guaranteed to happen. Last night someone quoted JM saying the Texans weren't getting Brock because they had too many other issues. I took that opportunity to welcome Brock to Houston.

I say take OL in the first and take Hack in the second maybe third to develop. Wish there were some decent TE's in the draft. We need a quality TE, just don't see a path to one.

Yep. The only reason I care what he has to say is that whatever that may be, the opposite is damn near guaranteed to happen. Last night someone quoted JM saying the Texans weren't getting Brock because they had too many other issues. I took that opportunity to welcome Brock to Houston.

ha! I honestly wonder if someone within the Texans feeds him bogus information just to jack with him. It's almost a given that when he makes absolute statements the opposite ends up happening.

Honestly, I'd go WR at pick #22 in the first round.
Especially if somebody really good is still on the board.
I had high hopes on Jaelen Strong but we'll see...

Reactions: ROO
I say take OL in the first and take Hack in the second maybe third to develop. Wish there were some decent TE's in the draft. We need a quality TE, just don't see a path to one.
Second and third-round is fine for O-Line too. Or even tight end. Not seeing any worth taking at pick #22 on the mock I'm looking at. I see some wideouts worth taking there.

There's a good chance a stud WR will still be there when we pick at #22. Unless we trade down? We could always do that, still pick up an extra pick.

I want a legitimate #2 guy to compliment DeAndre Hopkins.
Especially now that we have a good QB and RB in place.

Jaelen Strong may or may not mature fast enough...
I'd rather press the issue and bring in more competition.

Reactions: ROO
Wow! Biggest FA signing in the Texans history? I mean it's a QB with real upside.

Without regard to the quality of player Brock is now or has the potential to be I must say I'm just happy that the Texans finally took a chance. Yes...it's a chance. It could blow up in their face. It could also be a stroke of genius.

If it blows up, it blows up. It also has a decent chance of paying off. I would rather take a swing at the fences than this notion that we can keep trying to lay down a bunt for a single at the most important position in team sports.

I think this also tells us what they think of the draft scenarios. The guys they (likely) really want would take a massive trade to get. Say what you want about this guy vs. Wentz or any of the others...but we didn't have to give up a single draft pick or any other personnel to get BO. That has to be figured into the evaluation. OTOH, it is more costly.

For better or worse, that contract very clearly says that BO is here not to compete for the job - the job is 100% his unless he falls off the face of the earth. With all that said, I'm not sure we need to even consider a QB at all in the draft. My original thinking was we still might look to draft a guy high but I think they might want to find another piece that can be used around him rather than future competition.

Either Savage or Weeden makes for a fine #2 imo. I'm not sure Weeden would stick around as the #3. Seems unlikely. Savage has no choice. Or make Savage #2 and get a guy late in the draft that has some sort of upside.

Well it is not like no one will be at center or right guard. Allen may be Brooks equal or even better and we still have time to replace Jones.

Wow! Biggest FA signing in the Texans history? I mean it's a QB with real upside.

Without regard to the quality of player Brock is now or has the potential to be I must say I'm just happy that the Texans finally took a chance. Yes...it's a chance. It could blow up in their face. It could also be a stroke of genius.

If it blows up, it blows up. It also has a decent chance of paying off. I would rather take a swing at the fences than this notion that we can keep trying to lay down a bunt for a single at the most important position in team sports.

I think this also tells us what they think of the draft scenarios. The guys they (likely) really want would take a massive trade to get. Say what you want about this guy vs. Wentz or any of the others...but we didn't have to give up a single draft pick or any other personnel to get BO. That has to be figured into the evaluation. OTOH, it is more costly.

For better or worse, that contract very clearly says that BO is here not to compete for the job - the job is 100% his unless he falls off the face of the earth. With all that said, I'm not sure we need to even consider a QB at all in the draft. My original thinking was we still might look to draft a guy high but I think they might want to find another piece that can be used around him rather than future competition.

Either Savage or Weeden makes for a fine #2 imo. I'm not sure Weeden would stick around as the #3. Seems unlikely. Savage has no choice. Or make Savage #2 and get a guy late in the draft that has some sort of upside.
The Rickster took charge. Today he's the man !

Am I the only one here that understood the sky just fell on us here in Houston? Look outside. Dark skies for a reason. See you jamokes in 3 years. Lamar Miller signing was so bittersweet. 30 seconds of elation followed by a true understanding that nothing else matters now until 2019 when we find our new head coach, lose JJ Watt, and begin rebuilding again
Yep so far you are either Notradamus or just chicken little

let's not forget that Doc CnnnD says players with DB injury have 50-50 chance to return.

Do you ever step out of your fantasy world and take a reality break? Brown coming back from his injury is iffy, much less coming back and playing at an all pro level. Read up on what CnD wrote up on the subject. The Texans need a a lock down, franchise LT to protect the blind side of their shiny new QB.

I'd bet a lot of money that Brown won't be on the active roster on opening day.

If Lamar Miller is also signed by the Texans...
What can we use our first-round pick on?

O-Line, Tight End, maybe a top-flight WR at #22?
Another young stud on opposite side of Nuk is appealing.

Do we go defense in the first round?
Always the BPA, regardless.

Me too. Miller - a proven stud - at $6 mil/yr seems like a bargain compared to Osweiler - an unknown in O'Brien's offense - at $18 mil/yr.

We need to draft O-line very heavily in the first three rounds.

wait..it is getting clearer..nope dang it..I was seeing Pamela Anderson 20 years ago.

is this clearer?

2913871_1343546628676.1res_384_500.jpg

Brock's deal is right at the going rate for a 2nd tier starting quarterback. I don't think it's too high a price to pay for a potential franchise QB and it's not a cap-wrecking deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back