Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I'm Bill O'Brien. My hand picked protege is ready to play next season. However, my GM is going to spend a lot of money on a guy I've never said two words to. What went wrong?

You're assuming:
1) O'Brien considers Tom Savage his protege.
2) O'Brien thinks Savage is ready to start and be a good QB this next season.
3) Rick Smith is making this move without O'Brien being in on it.
4) O'Brien has never said two words to Brock Osweiler.

I'm not saying that these assumptions are wrong, I'm just pointing out they could be.

He could see Osweiler as the perfect person to come in here and push Savage via a QB competition into being the starter he knows he can be. (But only in closed door scrimmages, of course.)

Okay, the Broncos are reportedly back at the negotiating table, and it looks like they're going to increase their offer, so I guess those thinking he wasn't worth it because Denver was ignoring him must now think he's the bees knees.
The Broncos and Jimmy Sexton, Osweiler’s agent, re-established talks Tuesday afternoon and there will be serious negotiations today.

The Houston Texans are also expected to make Osweiler an offer. The Broncos know the Texans are in on their quarterback. Their quarterback.

The Broncos are expected to sweeten their initial offer that -- with incentives -- was worth more than $45 million over three years
http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/den...ler-today-as-free-agent-market-opens/74436697

The point is average HC's don't win Superb Owls.

Yes they do.

What amazes me is how lucky Kubiak really was, from inheriting a stacked roster to not being able to hire Herring as DC so he was forced to hire Wade because that was the only DC that he knew that was worth a crap. (BTW, I guess Wade's defenses aren't outdated) to Manning getting hurt (Osweiler played well and that's kudos to Kubiak) and saving his old broken down body for the playoffs etc...

But to win a SB I guess it does take a bit of luck.

So... what's the difference between Brock Osweiler & Tom Savage?

They're both tall. Brock is taller, but Tom is tall enough.

They both have strong arms.... ish..

Brock's been groomed for three years in Denver's offense (two different offenses actually). Tom's been groomed for the last two years in our offense (whatever that may be).

Brock is more athletic. He just is. Not saying Tom's a statue. But Brock was a two sport athlete, originally signing with Gonzaga to play basketball..... Tom was a 5 star QB recruit.

Brock came from a fast paced, screen heavy spread offense. Tom came from a pro style offense.

Brock started seven games, completing all six, with a record of 5-2. Tom has no starts in the regular season. The one game he got to play, he was injured & couldn't finish.

So... I'm Bill O'Brien. My hand picked protege is ready to play next season. However, my GM is going to spend a lot of money on a guy I've never said two words to. What went wrong?
Major difference? Tom Savage can't stay healthy.
A franchise quarterback isn't on IR every season.

Brock Osweiler is hungry to play and win. He's still pissed about being benched by the Broncos late in the season.

Big Brock's agent will strike a deal with the Texans soon. Knock on wood.

Broncos have targeted Kaepernick as their backup option if they lose Osweiler.
49ers want the Broncos' first and fourth-round picks in this draft, and a future second (seems pretty steep asking price). And a future third too according to one report. They want like four picks from the Broncos. LOL

Although to be fair, the Broncos' picks are like a round too late. When you have the last pick in every round as a Super Bowl champion it's like your first-round pick is an early second-round pick, etc... etc... Less value on your picks compared to other teams so you may have to trade more picks to make up for that.

Seems like they should just sign RG3 for cheaper and draft a quarterback at pick #32 in round one. The fallback plans we had if we weren't landing anybody like Brock Osweiler.

We sort of kicked around the Colin Kaepernick idea too.

Anybody else think that the McNair's/Smith look at things like this,

They would love to have Os but if they dont get him they will be very happy to put the screws to Elway/Kubiak/Wade etc...

49ers want the Broncos' first and fourth-round picks in this draft, and a future second (seems pretty steep asking price). And a future third too according to one report. They want like four picks from the Broncos. LOL

That's a laughable asking price for a $19M QB who got benched for Blaine Gabbert. Trent Baalke really is clueless.

3 years $45M is not weak for a guy with seven starts.

& if you're paying attention, that's exactly what Denver is doing now. They couldn't do it all until this league year started.
Agreed. They really are just hand cuffed by their salary cap space. Ther offer is right at their limit while the Texans can offer more than the Broncos can.

They would have preferred to franchise tag Brock Osweiler at one year at $19 million (like the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins) but they had to franchise tag Super Bowl MVP and Texas A&M alumnus Von Miller. Second best defensive player in the game after J.J. Watt.

What's hurting the Broncos is the fact they couldn't reach a long-term deal with Von Miller last summer. They don't have their franchise tag to use on Brock Osweiler.

It's funny but I remember browsing a Broncos fan thread around a year ago and people on there were worried this was going to happen (losing Brock in free agency) because Von Miller would command the franchise tag if not signed long term.

All the while the Broncos already lost a couple good D-Lineman.
The Jaguars just over-paid for one of their Defensive players.
Not to say they ain't worth that but the Broncos can't afford it.

That's a laughable asking price for a $19M QB who got benched for Blaine Gabbert. Trent Baalke really is clueless.
Let's just be glad we can be out of that game if we sign Brock Osweiler. If we sign Brock we no longer have major concerns at quarterback entering the draft. We don't have to sign RG3 or over-pay in a trade for Kaepernick.

The Broncos would be desperate. But we don't feel sorry for a defending Super Bowl champion. The Broncos may end up having Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback for all I care. He's looking for more money than the Jets want to pay. LOL

Funny enough, I wouldn't have mind bringing Fitzy back.
But that's only if we couldn't land Osweiler. Fitzy is better than Hoyer!!!!

Yes they do.

What amazes me is how lucky Kubiak really was, from inheriting a stacked roster to not being able to hire Herring as DC so he was forced to hire Wade because that was the only DC that he knew that was worth a crap. (BTW, I guess Wade's defenses aren't outdated) to Manning getting hurt (Osweiler played well and that's kudos to Kubiak) and saving his old broken down body for the playoffs etc...

Signed,
Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin
Joe Flacco and John Harbaugh

Major difference? Tom Savage can't stay healthy.
A franchise quarterback isn't on IR every season.

Brock Osweiler is hungry to play and win. He's still pissed about being benched by the Broncos late in the season.

Big Brock's agent will strike a deal with the Texans soon. Knock on wood.
Can't stay healthy? Lol. Actually this whole post LOL.

Osweiler - an unknown, really. Has learned from one of the best, PM. Seen live action, not much but has seen it. Will be expensive, relatively speaking.
Drafted Rookie QB - an unknown, really. Has not learned the NFL game yet. Will be cheap, relatively speaking.

I kind of like the idea of getting Osweiler. It would allow the Texans to keep the #22 pick and still fill a hole or two via FA. I think to get the QB they wanted would cost a couple of draft picks.

IF, IF the Texans were to sign Osweiler, does Hoyer get the boot? Who stays as 2 and 3?

The NFL Network just reported the Broncos have $18.4 million in current cap space and that's after Peyton's retirement papers finalized and losing Malik Jackson to the Jaguars - who paid him a rich contract (6 years, $90 million).

The Broncos can't increase their initial offer to Brock Osweiler all that much right now (their ceiling is about what their reported first offer was - 3 years, $45 million). They can go a little higher at best. Their hands aren't tied but they have restraints.

The Texans on the other hand, have tons of cap space ($40-$45 million) and can win any bidding war with the Broncos. Brock's agent realizes that and is talking with the Texans trying to land the biggest deal.

At this point, all signs are pointing to Brock Osweiler signing with the Texans. Knock on wood... Until it happens you just never know I guess.

Osweiler - an unknown, really. Has learned from one of the best, PM. Seen live action, not much but has seen it. Will be expensive, relatively speaking.
Drafted Rookie QB - an unknown, really. Has not learned the NFL game yet. Will be cheap, relatively speaking.

I kind of like the idea of getting Osweiler. It would allow the Texans to keep the #22 pick and still fill a hole or two via FA. I think to get the QB they wanted would cost a couple of draft picks.

IF, IF the Texans were to sign Osweiler, does Hoyer get the boot? Who stays as 2 and 3?

Savage battles with their 2nd day selection (my guess= Hackenburg, Lynch, Brissett)

This is about where I"m at with it. I like Osweiler even if he turns out not to be the greatest QB ever, or even our Franchise Guy. It allows us some flexibility on draft day and it allows us a safety net for Savage. If we sign Osweiler, I wouldn't be surprised if we keep Hoyer and go Osweiler, Hoyer, Savage, and a rookie QB into training camp with a "let the best guy win" mentality.

(Or we can just let Hoyer go and use that space to help us retain Brooks or get someone else.)

Osweiler as starter, Savage as backup, draft a rookie in 4th/5th/6th round to develop who can take over as backup when Savage contract is up.
I'd actually like to keep Brandon Weeden around for depth. I thought he played hard for us and won a couple games for us last season (2-0 record). He could compete with Tom Savage and a rookie quarterback in training camp, with Brock Osweiler being the clear-cut starter.

I'd like to have four QBs in here once camp rolls around anyways. We don't really know if Savage can even make it to the regular-season healthy enough to play. If he takes a bad hit to his shoulder in the pre-season (like he did against the Cowboys last preseason), will he have to go on IR again for a non-surgical injury?

I re-watched that game the other day, Savage can get hit like that again. It just worries me is all. He has an injury history that doesn't make me feel confident about him being in our long-term plans. Every time people mention Savage being our backup, I sort of feel weird about that. I just want him to stay healthy!!!!! Show me that first and then we'll worry about where he is on the depth chart.

The point is average HC's don't win Superb Owls.
Barry Switzer was a better-than-average NFL head coach?

So with this argument no one gets credit for developing any qb? We dont know if someone else out there would have made him just as good if not better?
No, simply that one data point does not a set make. There's no "track record" of taking nobodys and making them into somebodys. Schaub wasn't an unknown that no other team wanted, he was just stuck playing behind a superstar.

I would absolutely agree with you, if I thought for a second Brock had a chance at being a franchise quarterback. I don't think he is. I think he sucks. I think he was barely able to skate by in Kubiak's system and was benched - not for Manning, but because he had zero command, poor recognition, slow reads and sub-par accuracy. He LOST the job to a guy barely able to throw for 200 yards per game and leading the league in interceptions. Do you think for a second that winning one for Manning was a bigger priority than winning one for Pat Bowlen? No, and Brock couldn't hold the job over 'couldn't play dead in a western' Manning.

6'9" and a big arm - that's all people see. It's most of the reason he got drafted despite a dink and dunk college career. Brock's a pitcher, not a quarterback. Randy Johnson is a monster ... and I wouldn't want him under center. This is what Osweiler brings.

My final question is - 'why?'. We joke about O'Brien's 'guru' status. Well, if you could tag two people in the NFL as gurus, it's Elway and Kubiak ... 'why' are they even giving a franchise quarterback the option of going elsewhere? 'Why' haven't they locked him up? 'Why' is he getting a performance based contract? Now ask yourself ... 'why' is he more valuable to the Texans who have options (though quite terrible) at quarterback than to a team with no one behind him?

You've got a HoF QB (and potentially HoF GM) with Elway and a proven offensive minded coach in Kubiak both wanting to keep Brock.

Yet, that's not an endorsement for the player? :um:

Either they want to keep the guy or they do not. And with the current offer on the table, one that is clearly restrained by salary cap restrictions, it is obvious that the Broncos desperately want to keep Brock on their roster.

As far as your analysis, you might want to go watch some film. Literally NOBODY that analyzes talent as a profession agrees with your assessment of Brock.

And it is clearly obviously why they put Manning back in the game: RESPECT. They were not going to let one of the best QBs in football history end his career on the bench if he was able to play at all. If you can be bothered to go back and read the stories of the chemistry between Manning, Elway, and Kubiak, it is very clear that it was never Brock's job to lose. They were resting Manning until they felt he could make a last season push.

920x920.jpg

It reminds some folks of this:

628x471.jpg

First off, props to Kubiak. I'm not a hater.

That said, a case could be made that he benefited of inheriting a great team in the exact same way that Jon Gruden benefited.

As Warren Sapp said of Gruden, the cake was already made and Gruden just put it in the oven.

And a solid case could be made that Wade Phillips had a bigger impact on the Broncos than Kubiak, all things considered.

You've got a HoF QB (and potentially HoF GM) with Elway and a proven offensive minded coach in Kubiak both wanting to keep Brock.

Either they want to keep the guy or they do not. And with the current offer on the table, one that is clearly restrained by salary cap restrictions, it is obvious that the Broncos desperately want to keep Brock on their roster.

As far as your analysis, you might want to go watch some film. Literally NOBODY that analyzes talent as a profession agrees with your assessment of Brock.

And it is clearly obviously why they put Manning back in the game: RESPECT. They were not going to let one of the best QBs in football history end his career on the bench if he was able to play at all. If you can be bothered to go back and read the stories of the chemistry between Manning, Elway, and Kubiak, it is very clear that it was never Brock's job to lose. They were resting Manning until they felt he could make a last season push.

628x471.jpg

That said, a case could be made that he benefited of inheriting a great team in the exact same way that Jon Gruden benefited.

As Warren Sapp said of Gruden, the cake was already made and Gruden just put it in the oven.

And a solid case could be made that Wade Phillips had a bigger impact on the Broncos than Kubiak, all things considered.

I think for the Texans it boils down to Lynch , Cook , or Brock . I think the safest and fastest way to get up and running is signing Brock .

I think for the Texans it boils down to Lynch , Cook , or Brock . I think the safest and fastest way to get up and running is signing Brock .
Lynch is far too much of a project to get the Texans going in 2016. If they drafted him, it would be a clear sign that they have faith in Savage, imho.

Yes they do.

Wade's D always do well the first year.

Osweiler is just using the Texans to drive up the Broncos offer, which they will. Why exactly is this guy in a rush to leave Denver again? Disrespected about Manning getting reinserted? Doesnt like the QB friendly system Koobs employs? Maybe the HOF QB in the front office just doesnt connect with him? Not sure why coming here seems like the much better option. Screams leverage move.

Hell I'd take Fitzy over Osweiler if the intent is to still draft the QB of the future this year and start the process.
Why are you here then? Why do you "... wake up to the concrete mountains in Houston vs some of the most beautiful scenery in the country?"

Sorry, I just get tired of people messin' with Texas.

Speaking of Wade Phillips, I guess we can expect the Broncos defense to start to fade a little bit? Everywhere he goes his defense is ranked #1 or close to the top that first year, and then they slowly decline, year after year, after that. To the point where he's eventually fired. And then like magic he goes to a new team and bingo, they have the #1 defense in the league that first year.

Only thing with Denver is that #1 defense carried him to the Super Bowl. Wade Phillips couldn't quite parlay that #1 defense into Super Bowl wins during his other stops. If only that had happened here in Houston!

Our defense was loaded his first year here but Super Mario couldn't stay healthy (pectoral muscle injury). Watt was a rookie. We still reached the divisional round of the playoffs at Baltimore, where our defense dominated Flacco and Ray Rice. We stone walled them all game long. It's a shame we lost that game. Our defense had all but carried us to the AFC Championship against the Patriots that year, but a Jacoby Jones fumble and three Yates INTs cut us short in that loss at Baltimore.

But we see it every time with Wade Phillips.
His defense goes down the drain after year one...
The Broncos defense, watch them decline now.
Their D-Line is taking some hits in free agency.

Can't help but notice that Lardass (McClain) all over the Internet shooting down all the Osweiler rumors. He just posted
"Texans have too many needs at other positions to be spending that kind of money on Osweiler"

Does this dude have any real inside scoop, or is he just a blowhard? He has spent the last couple of days saying the Texans will not sign Osweiler.
Perhaps he is the Texan's one man disinformation campaign.

628x471.jpg

The only thing about the Gruden comparison is that the Bucs hadn't even been to the Super Bowl whereas the Broncos had gone a couple years before and then gotten to the AFC championship the next year.

Also, if Gruden took a team someone else built to the SB then someone took a team Gruden built to the SB since he played against the team he coached for the year prior.

They both deserve some degree of credit though.....to your point, I'd say the asterisk next to Gruden's win would be a little bit smaller.

Osweiler is just using the Texans to drive up the Broncos offer, which they will. Why exactly is this guy in a rush to leave Denver again? Disrespected about Manning getting reinserted? Doesnt like the QB friendly system Koobs employs? Maybe the HOF QB in the front office just doesnt connect with him? Rather wake up to the concrete mountains in Houston vs some of the most beautiful scenery in the country? Not sure why coming here seems like the much better option. Screams leverage move.

Hell I'd take Fitzy over Osweiler if the intent is to still draft the QB of the future this year and start the process.

If he is, I don't care. He's not tying up any major moves and everyone in the league is competition.

If we can make a competitor pay more for a player we were never going to get anyways that's a small win in my book.

If he is, I don't care. He's not tying up any major moves and everyone in the league is competition.

If we can make a competitor pay more for a player we were never going to get anyways that's a small win in my book.

I agree, I don't see any negatives from trying to obtain a possible answer at the Quarterback position, even if they ultimately can't land Osweiler.

I am expecting to be crucified by the peanut gallery, but is Brock Osweiler any better than Brandon Weeden?

Weeden 2015 - QBR 80.4 Pass Rating 97.1
Osweiler 2015 - QBR 86.4 Pass Rating 48.8

Don't get me wrong, would not fault the Texans for signing Osweiler, and would be excited about the upcoming season, but just throwing the stats out for y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back