Thanks for your support!

Brock Osweiler agrees to 4 year 72 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Nope, these were the 1st 2 posts after you mentioned the article:

No attack or disparagement there.

Instead of answer you spun off to wonderlic.

Oh and ended with your oft used tactic of asking someone to prove a negative.
Correct, an immediate attack accusation insinuating that Wentz was from being as smart as Luck.....but there you go continue your spin....and put the cookie back.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
Wonderlic Scores

Andrew Luck 37; Carson Wentz 40

So it begins....the haters will hate....the spinners will spin.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Today's Learning Lesson;

Many here think that being a scout for an NFL team requires a PHD from a major university. Nothing could be further from the truth. Actually you don't have to have a formal education to be a scout.

Why do you keep saying people said things they didn't? NO ONE said anything about an individual's ability when it comes to scouting but rather the resources and access differences between someone who does it as a hobby and someone who is paid to do it for an NFL team.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Why do you keep saying people said things they didn't? NO ONE said anything about an individual's ability when it comes to scouting but rather the resource s and access differences between someone who does it as a hobby and someone who is paid to do it for an NFL team.
Clearly you've not been paying attention.

frethack

Rookie
No I didn't, that was a quote from Greg Cosell, "Like Luck, Wentz is smart. He was a 4.0 student at North Dakota State. Physically, the two are similar, and we’ll get to that in a bit. One thing that stood out to me about Wentz is his poise in critical moments. That reminds me of Luck as well." ....LIKE LUCK, WENTZ IS SMART .....That was all it took for the haters to come out of the woodwork to diminish and disparage Wentz. Cheap shots and personal attacks every one. Why else the attacks, if you can prove that Wentz would NOT have been a 4.0 student at Stanford then we can continue this conversation. No more arguing for the sake of arguing as you are so prone to do.
For what its worth, I havent seen anyone attack or disparage Wentz. It is a fair comment to say that a degree from NDSU may not require coursework that is as comprehensive as Stanford, depending on the degree of course. My graduate work is in atmospheric science at UT, and I fully understand that the same degree from Stanford requires a more rigorous standard of education. Its not a slight...just an observable fact. No matter the degree its pretty plain to see that Wentz is both smart and talented, and the wonderlic is evidence of this.

Judging from the pages upon pages of comments regarding Wentz (in an Osweiler thread), it seems to me that you think its worth the many draft picks to move up and pick up Wentz. That is a very fair opinion, assuming that there is someone who would even want to deal with us.

Others think that it is not worth the multiple high round picks we would have to give up to draft Wentz. I can see the merit of those opinions as well.

Why not just admit that both opinions have value and call it a day? Wentz is not a slam dunk draft pick, but he has amazing potential. Is he worth mortgaging future drafts? We shall see, but there is nothing any of us can do about it now. He will likely be a Brown.

Wolf

100% Texan
I think it spun out of control in the debate when Texian is playing armchair scout. I am playing armchair GM. Texian is saying wentz is a going to be a HOFer. I am saying the Texans have too many holes to fill and can't unload so many picks to move up.
*edit*
We picked up what we think is the best young FA out there before the draft so we don't go into the draft really really desperate because we can't start the season with what we had last year

For example.. good debate though

Last edited:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I think it spun out of control in the debate when Texian is playing armchair scout. I am playing armchair GM. Texian is saying wentz is a going to be a HOFer. I am saying the Texans have too many holes to fill and can't unload so many picks to move up.

For example.. good debate though
Good post and I agree.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Correct, an immediate attack accusation insinuating that Wentz was from being as smart as Luck.....but there you go continue your spin....and put the cookie back.
For the record, my attack was not against Wentz, but aimed at the idiot who made the statement. Not you... the particular reporter.

& I don't consider myself a Wentz hater. I've been as forthcoming as I can that I haven't seen enough to be able to say one way or the other.

My hope this whole time was that a QB needy team sees a savior in Wentz & takes him. Even if that means someone trades up to #1 overall, thus increasing the likelihood that Cook would make it to 22.

Reactions: ROO

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
No I didn't, that was a quote from Greg Cosell, "Like Luck, Wentz is smart. He was a 4.0 student at North Dakota State. Physically, the two are similar, and we’ll get to that in a bit. One thing that stood out to me about Wentz is his poise in critical moments. That reminds me of Luck as well." ....LIKE LUCK, WENTZ IS SMART .....That was all it took for the haters to come out of the woodwork to diminish and disparage Wentz. Cheap shots and personal attacks every one. Why else the attacks, if you can prove that Wentz would NOT have been a 4.0 student at Stanford then we can continue this conversation. No more arguing for the sake of arguing as you are so prone to do.
You were a bit defensive. Scoring a perfect score on a 3rd grade spelling test isn't quite the same as a perfect score on a Bar Exam. Both are laudable, but definitely not the same.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I posted a quote from Greg Cosell that Wentz was a 4.0 student. There was no mention of other college degrees. That was it. Then the haters came out. And their response was a 4.0 from NDSU was about as dumb a 4.0 as you could get. It was a cheap shot and a personal attack. I thought you would be able to see this for what it is. I guess not.
Find and repost the quote that actually states the underscored as you accuse. Otherwise you're lying.

And for the record, Luck's degree from Stanford is in Architectural Design link1 and Wentz's field of study is Health Ed, and Phys. Ed. with a minor in Psychology. Link2

How is TK's question comparing the two schools an "attack" on Wentz??

Wentz may well be as smart as Luck but you can't tell it by comparing their two schools or fields of study.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So... they replayed the Pats @ Broncos from the regular season as one of the 20 best games. Osweiler did a lot of growing in that one game. & again, to be in that situation & play the way he played... very impressive.

Cj Anderson did quite a bit of stepping up in that game as well. The snow didn't bother him. Almost looked like he got better.

I've been hanging around on the Broncos board since we started bidding on Oz & of course they've been downplaying Everything but their defense. But New England scored 24 points in regulation. That's not a world class defense.

The offense got to 24 first. There were at least three lead changes, I'm not saying the defense didn't do anything... they held New England to a long field goal attempt at the end of regulation. They forced the Patriots to a 3 & out at the beginning of OT.

They did their part, but the offense was a big part of that win.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So... they replayed the Pats @ Broncos from the regular season as one of the 20 best games. Osweiler did a lot of growing in that one game. & again, to be in that situation & play the way he played... very impressive.

Cj Anderson did quite a bit of stepping up in that game as well. The snow didn't bother him. Almost looked like he got better.

I've been hanging around on the Broncos board since we started bidding on Oz & of course they've been downplaying Everything but their defense. But New England scored 24 points in regulation. That's not a world class defense.

The offense got to 24 first. There were at least three lead changes, I'm not saying the defense didn't do anything... they held New England to a long field goal attempt at the end of regulation. They forced the Patriots to a 3 & out at the beginning of OT.

They did their part, but the offense was a big part of that win.
Can you give me a link to the Broncos board?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Find and repost the quote that actually states the underscored as you accuse. Otherwise you're lying.

And for the record, Luck's degree from Stanford is in Architectural Design link1 and Wentz's field of study is Health Ed, and Phys. Ed. with a minor in Psychology. Link2

How is TK's question comparing the two schools an "attack" on Wentz??

Wentz may well be as smart as Luck but you can't tell it by comparing their two schools or fields of study.
Good Grief man, I posted the quote twice yesterday. Your apology for calling me a liar is accepted.

As for Architectural Design vs Health Ed, and Phys. Ed. - Wonderlic Scores Wentz 40, Luck 37.

Greg Cosell, "Like Luck, Wentz is smart." TK - yeah but Wentz is not as smart Luck cause Luck went to Stanford. Others - Yeah but Wentz is not smart as Luck because Luck studied Architecure and Wentz studied Health and PE. Have y'all ever heard of apples and oranges? The fact of the matter is that Wentz could be much smarter that Luck. That is possible you know! I find it all just a bit petty.

"Wentz may well be as smart as Luck but you can't tell it by comparing their two schools or fields of study." - I DIDN'T! Others were comparing those apples to oranges trying to make their PETTY points.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Good Grief man...

Greg Cosell, "Like Luck, Wentz is smart." TK - yeah but Wentz is not as smart Luck cause Luck went to Stanford.
See the problem is your reading comprehension. This is not a direct quote of what I said & it's a piss poor job of paraphrasing.

Cosell: Wentz is smart, just like Luck. Wentz was 4.0 student at NDState.

TK: uh... a 4.0 at NDState doesn't prove he is smart like Luck. Smart... sure. But it doesn't prove he is smart like Luck.

Texian

Hall of Fame
See the problem is your reading comprehension. This is not a direct quote of what I said & it's a piss poor job of paraphrasing.

Cosell: Wentz is smart, just like Luck. Wentz was 4.0 student at NDState.

TK: uh... a 4.0 at NDState doesn't prove he is smart like Luck. Smart... sure. But it doesn't prove he is smart like Luck.
You're going to need a bigger shovel if you're going to keep digging that hole.

Why don't you just say, I took exception to Cosell saying Wentz was smart like Luck, and I resorted to some extemporaneous crap to try and show he wasn't. Guilty as charged.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You're going to need a bigger shovel if you're going to keep digging that hole.

Why don't you just say, I took exception to Cosell saying Wentz was smart like Luck, and I resorted to some extemporaneous crap to try and show he wasn't. Guilty as charged.
I have no idea how smart Wentz is. But the fact that he got a 4.0 at NDState doesn't mean he is smart, like Luck.

That's like saying Keenum was as good a prospect as Wentz. He threw for over 4,000 yards at UH.

Though there may be similarities in the stat, this one in particular doesnt prove my point.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I have no idea how smart Wentz is. But the fact that he got a 4.0 at NDState doesn't mean he is smart, like Luck.

That's like saying Keenum was as good a prospect as Wentz. He threw for over 4,000 yards at UH.

Though there may be similarities in the stat, this one in particular doesnt prove my point.
Since you have left the ball park I think you and I have exhausted our discussion here.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Funny how I expected to see more posts about Osweiler, what with him being the subject of the post...so, I guess I need to go back to about page 20 or 21, huh?
Hey - if it's not blatantly obvious already, Osweiler's success - or lack thereof - is far less dependent on his level of performance and the Texans overall level of performance than it is how other QB's perform.
:sarcasm:

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Funny how I expected to see more posts about Osweiler, what with him being the subject of the post...so, I guess I need to go back to about page 20 or 21, huh?
Lol, no doubt.

Won't know much really until preseason or maybe camp anyway.

Glad to be talking about a legitimate QB prospect though.

Can you imagine if we were having the Hoyer/Weeden/Savage debate this season?

Yuck.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Since you have left the ball park I think you and I have exhausted our discussion here.
That was actually a good analogy by tk.

Just because you did something in one place doesn't mean you'd face the same level of difficulty if you tried to do it in another place. I mean, things understood shouldn't have to be explained. That's like one of the things in life you don't even need to realize. You come out of the womb with tools necessary to pick up on that "lesson" pretty quickly.

I'm confused here a little about your stance on this. At first I thought you were trolling for sure, but then I realized you are probably serious. Well the only options are trolling or extremely obtuse and you seem like a smart guy. So at this point we've entered some weird realm where I'm not sure wtf is going on.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
In case anybody is interested game #6 on the NFLNetworks (channel 630 on U-verse locally) "Top Games of 2015" with NE @ Denver with Osweiler starting/playing has been
replaying this past week

Reactions: JB

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
That was actually a good analogy by tk.

Just because you did something in one place doesn't mean you'd face the same level of difficulty if you tried to do it in another place. I mean, things understood shouldn't have to be explained. That's like one of the things in life you don't even need to realize. You come out of the womb with tools necessary to pick up on that "lesson" pretty quickly.

I'm confused here a little about your stance on this. At first I thought you were trolling for sure, but then I realized you are probably serious. Well the only options are trolling or extremely obtuse and you seem like a smart guy. So at this point we've entered some weird realm where I'm not sure wtf is going on.
Some, while very good at what they do, suffer a severe lack of reading comprehension... I'm convinced he falls in that category

Wolf

100% Texan
I googled "trade up for wentz" most links mentioned Philly. Other than that I haven't read much.La,sf, and Philly are about the only ones seem to be mentioned to trade up. Texans weren't mention beside Texian posting here. Only person that I saw on another search was maylock saying wentz has luck like qualities I looked this up because I haven't seen game film and was wondering if what Texian was saying , then other teams would be eager to trading their future also

Reactions: JB

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
This is known as playing scared. Those who usually do lose.
As others have pointed out, and I believe I did in my original post, I haven't found a situation where a team traded a boatload of premium picks for a player that worked out well in the long run.

Texian

Hall of Fame
How did that workout for the Redskins.............
Actually it started out quite well, Washington went from worst to first, playoffs, Offensive Rookie of the Year, Pro Bowl and then he got hurt, suffered several major injuries.

Or mike Dickta
Not a QB, an Orange vs an Apple Comparison and greatest anomaly of the NFL Draft.

Or the Falcons.
Actually the Falcons are quite pleased with Julio Jones and the trade, although he's not a QB and another Orange to an Apple comparison.

Texian

Hall of Fame
As others have pointed out, and I believe I did in my original post, I haven't found a situation where a team traded a boatload of premium picks for a player that worked out well in the long run.
Giants gave up a lot of picks for Eli and 2 Super Bowl Trphies later that seems to have worked out well for the Giants.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Actually the Falcons are quite pleased with Julio Jones and the trade, although he's not a QB and another Orange to an Apple comparison.
I don't care how "pleased" they are with Julio Jones--he's a great player--but they made that trade thinking that he was the final piece they needed. Since that trade, they're 41-39 in the regular season and 1-2 in the postseason. By comparison, we're 44-36 and 2-3 since that trade.

Making that trade wasn't worth it because it didn't help them be a significantly better team.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Giants gave up a lot of picks for Eli and 2 Super Bowl Trphies later that seems to have worked out well for the Giants.
So one time, in a draft that featured 3 pro bowl qbs and the one guy traded publicly stated he wouldn't suit up for San Diego. The amount given up for Manning was peanuts compared to what was given up for RG3. We get it, you would mortgage the entire team to trade up for Wentz.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Dubious Rivers would not have had as much success in NY. As a QB he wipes the floor with Manning.

Just so folks know, the "lot of picks" was:

2004 3rd
2005 1st
2005 6th

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't care how "pleased" they are with Julio Jones--he's a great player--but they made that trade thinking that he was the final piece they needed. Since that trade, they're 41-39 in the regular season and 1-2 in the postseason. By comparison, we're 44-36 and 2-3 since that trade.

Making that trade wasn't worth it because it didn't help them be a significantly better team.
Didn't they make it to the NFC Championship game in Julio's sophomore season? & that was after not winning in the play offs for like a decade before... I think.

Julio Jones may have very well been the final piece. They just weren't able to hold that team together very long afterwards. Losing the draft picks may have hurt them in finding replacement players, but that's a different story (as I don't recall how many future picks were involved).

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Didn't they make it to the NFC Championship game in Julio's sophomore season? & that was after not winning in the play offs for like a decade before... I think.

Julio Jones may have very well been the final piece. They just weren't able to hold that team together very long afterwards. Losing the draft picks may have hurt them in finding replacement players, but that's a different story (as I don't recall how many future picks were involved).
Yeah, they lost a WC game his rookie season, then had a good enough record to be able to have a bye before winning their first playoff game since Reeves' SB run.

But to me that screams of them getting desperate and looking for that one piece that would put them over the top and miscalculating about what that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.