Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brian Gaine Fired

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Don't be dense, you can't believe for a second that Obrien didn't lobby for this. Two GM's fired in 17 months both by McNair?
One GM quit and wouldn't have been fired according to some.

The other GM was fired for non football reasons. IMHO After all the Texans org is currently involved in a lawsuit because of Gaine's supposed actions.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
One GM quit and wouldn't have been fired according to some.

The other GM was fired for non football reasons. IMHO After all the Texans org is currently involved in a lawsuit because of Gaine's supposed actions.
The other GM was fired for reasons not disclosed by the Texans. Anything beyond that is conjuncture. It could easily have been he and OB were BFF's like they thought they were going to be as it is because of the pending lawsuit.

Dejaview

All Pro
Don't be dense, you can't believe for a second that Obrien didn't lobby for this. Two GM's fired in 17 months both by McNair?
Well first of all Bob McNair would have to come back from the dead to fire Gaine. Second, in a 2018 SI article Smith categorically denied OB had anything to do with his firing. As I recall in that article, they articulated some differences but their relationship was fine according to RS. These false and unsupported lies about OB are just poison and derail every thread that’s created. Smh.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Well first of all Bob McNair would have to come back from the dead to fire Gaine. Second, in a 2018 SI article Smith categorically denied OB had anything to do with his firing. As I recall in that article, they articulated some differences but their relationship was fine according to RS. These false and unsupported lies about OB are just poison and derail every thread that’s created. Smh.
Here's the actual section.

Smith does admit that he and O’Brien didn’t always agree on fundamental issues, starting with their organizational philosophies. He also says he approached McNair in recent years to lay out his vision for how the team should operate, and that some of his suggestions—he declines to discuss specifics—did not align with O’Brien’s vision. But Smith also describes any feud as “overblown” and characterizes his relationship with the Texans’ coach as “fine.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/31/rick-smith-houston-texans-gm-sabbatical

I actually don't suggest anyone read the article, its a pretty hard read with todays knowledge because he talks about his wife getting better and his kids reaction to learning about the cancer. But getting back to the point, things between Smith and BoB were going to come to a head and McNair, either Bob or Cal again using todays knowledge, was going to have to choose between them. The tragedy with Smith's wife just made the whole issue moot. Always will wonder though who would have actually won if it had come down to a choice.

Dejaview

All Pro
Here's the actual section.

Smith does admit that he and O’Brien didn’t always agree on fundamental issues, starting with their organizational philosophies. He also says he approached McNair in recent years to lay out his vision for how the team should operate, and that some of his suggestions—he declines to discuss specifics—did not align with O’Brien’s vision. But Smith also describes any feud as “overblown” and characterizes his relationship with the Texans’ coach as “fine.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/31/rick-smith-houston-texans-gm-sabbatical

I actually don't suggest anyone read the article, its a pretty hard read with todays knowledge because he talks about his wife getting better and his kids reaction to learning about the cancer. But getting back to the point, things between Smith and BoB were going to come to a head and McNair, either Bob or Cal again using todays knowledge, was going to have to choose between them. The tragedy with Smith's wife just made the whole issue moot. Always will wonder though who would have actually won if it had come down to a choice.
Point being there was no choice. In fact in that article Smith inferred that suggesting he step down due to a feud with OB was even “ cruel” because it denied that his wife was sick, the whole crux of the issue. This is foolproof evidence that all this OB conspiracy crap HURTS RS. He simply chose a different ( correct) path at that time and was already releasing responsibilities before he departed, not because OB manipulated them away. And give OB some indication of a soul. He himself has a son with special needs and surely hurt for RS. In the GB photos there was a photo of a very tender moment when OB was on a knee talking to a young man confined to a wheelchair. What kind of butt chin ass would do that? BTW, GM’s and coaches commonly do have differences in the NFL.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So, it sounds like Howard is doing good. Hearing positive things about Lonnie Johnson, Warring as well. Could it be that the Texans made a mistake firing Gaine? It’s sounding like he had two solid drafts under his belt. Sumbetch! O’Brien better get Caserio in the building or he just screwed the organization!
No to Caserio!!! I'd take a gamble on Cleveland's Eliot Wolf to be the Texans next GM. Guy is a solid talent evaluator who's been groomed to run an organization in Green Bay and now in Cleveland.

Mangler

Toro de España
No to Caserio!!! I'd take a gamble on Cleveland's Eliot Wolf to be the Texans next GM. Guy is a solid talent evaluator who's been groomed to run an organization in Green Bay and now in Cleveland.
HC/OC/GM aka Butt Chin would never go for that. Eliot Wolf would be a threat to his jack of all trades, master of none multi feathered hat. Would be nice though...

OptimisticTexan

Will he be available?
More so than Caserio. Patriots would allow Caserio to go to any other team but the Texans. Eliot Wolf is an Asst GM with the Browns and moved up through the ranks to hold the same position with the Packers. I seriously think Wolf would be far more attainable than Caserio so long as the Texans were offering him the GM position.

Texansballer74

The Marine
More so than Caserio. Patriots would allow Caserio to go to any other team but the Texans. Eliot Wolf is an Asst GM with the Browns and moved up through the ranks to hold the same position with the Packers. I seriously think Wolf would be far more attainable than Caserio so long as the Texans were offering him the GM position.

Gotcha and thanks. But won't Caserio be available after the draft since his contract will be up?

I like Wolf too but would him and Obrien coexist?

OptimisticTexan

Whoever Dabo wants we should hire. Back the brinks truck up for him
Dabo or Harbaugh would be my first choices of pursuit. Previous post to another thread, I stated Cal needing to hire Bill Polian as his personal advisor for 2 seasons. Polian and Cal need to hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns to become the Texans next GM. Add Dabo or Harbaugh as the HC.....I think the Texans would finally have the right pieces in place to make this organization special.

Dejaview

All Pro
Dabo or Harbaugh would be my first choices of pursuit. Previous post to another thread, I stated Cal needing to hire Bill Polian as his personal advisor for 2 seasons. Polian and Cal need to hire Eliot Wolf away from the Browns to become the Texans next GM. Add Dabo or Harbaugh as the HC.....I think the Texans would finally have the right pieces in place to make this organization special.
What makes you think Dabo won’t be another Saban?

OptimisticTexan

What makes you think Dabo won’t be another Saban?
What makes you think he couldn't be another Jimmy Johnson? Guy obviously knows how to identify and assemble talent.....that alone is a huge step in the right direction. His players are high demand NFL talent from the time they hit the draft.

OptimisticTexan

I think Dabo is the one CFB coaches and who could have an immediate impact. His offense is NFL proven, as seen when OB ran a similar offense with Watson....put up stupid numbers during that period. I’d have to say the same for his defense.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
What makes any of you think Dabo would even come here no matter how much we offer him. He’s got a sweet gig at Clemson getting sweeter every year. The guy is on his way to be Clemson’s Bear Bryan, why give that up to come coach here?

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I believe we fired the wrong guy after the draft. It should have been OB fired and kept Gaine. He seems to be doing alright in Buffalo. :kitten:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I believe we fired the wrong guy after the draft. It should have been OB fired and kept Gaine. He seems to be doing alright in Buffalo. :kitten:
Hard to say how he's doing in Buffalo, other than he's still employed. Probably just getting coffee & donuts.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Belichick brought in Wolf as a consultant to fix their horrible draft record from the previous 5 years. Wolf was also very likely involved in Patriots large spending spree and player acquisition to fix the roster weakness created by all those bad drafts. I would say Cal hired the wrong guy.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Belichick brought in Wolf as a consultant to fix their horrible draft record from the previous 5 years. Wolf was also very likely involved in Patriots large spending spree and player acquisition to fix the roster weakness created by all those bad drafts. I would say Cal hired the wrong guy.
Cal has a simpleton mind, like a raccoon that gets trapped by shiny objects.

I don't fault him for it. He is who he is. But, I also do not expect any sort of greatness from him, either.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Aged like milk.

Mangler

Toro de España
Cal has a simpleton mind, like a raccoon that gets trapped by shiny objects.

I don't fault him for it. He is who he is. But, I also do not expect any sort of greatness from him, either.
I disagree. He’s finally doing what the “great” ones do. Stay the hell out of the GM, coaches, and scouts’ way. Something must have finally clicked. It might have been Caserio who told him to move around and let him do his job, but I’m willing to give Cal a little credit.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I disagree. He’s finally doing what the “great” ones do. Stay the hell out of the GM, coaches, and scouts’ way. Something must have finally clicked. It might have been Caserio who told him to move around and let him do his job, but I’m willing to give Cal a little credit.
We wondered what it would look like when Cal was running things. I personally don’t think he ever wanted to be involved in the day to day. Just like his dad didn’t want to.

But his dad kept hiring people who didn’t know how to manage the day to day & a lot of decisions fell on him.

Hopefully Nick is that guy & Cal can work on Call of Duty.

Time will tell.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
We wondered what it would look like when Cal was running things. I personally don’t think he ever wanted to be involved in the day to day. Just like his dad didn’t want to.

But his dad kept hiring people who didn’t know how to manage the day to day & a lot of decisions fell on him.

Hopefully Nick is that guy & Cal can work on Call of Duty.

Time will tell.
I think it was more Bob McNair really was trying to run it like a normal business in that you fire the one you think is the problem and keep the ones you think are doing a good job. Then when you hire someone new they blend in with the old guard. With an NFL team though you can't blend old and new visions because there are very limited resources. I think if McNair had truly cleaned house then hired a Gm and let that Gm hire a HC Texans would be in better shape. Trouble is he would fire one, keep the other then they wouldn't click so he would have to play referee. A team can't succeed long term that way. I said when OB was made the GM/HC that one good thing that would come from it is that it would force a real house cleaning when he was fired and thats what it did.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This remains to be seen

So far it's promising.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He still promoted Bill O'Brien to GM after a historical playoff choke. That was barely a year ago, btw.

He also signed off on one of the NFL's dumbest trades right after promoting O'Brien, in addition to giving Watson a contract that is ultimately detrimental to his franchise.

He might have finally made a good decision with Caserio. But let's be honest here: he was really just following through with something Bob McNair had started in January 2018. But, time will tell on that one.

That said, I'll give Cal the benefit of the doubt for now. If he really has learned to stay out of the way and let Caserio run his organization, for better or for worse, I'll revise my thoughts.

It still doesn't change the fact that Cal was sitting in a bare room at Reliant Stadium playing video games while the adults around him built a football franchise. lol :heh:

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
He still promoted Bill O'Brien to GM after a historical playoff choke. That was barely a year ago, btw.

He also signed off on one of the NFL's dumbest trades right after promoting O'Brien, in addition to giving Watson a contract that is ultimately detrimental to his franchise.

He might have finally made a good decision with Caserio. But let's be honest here: he was really just following through with something Bob McNair had started in January 2018. But, time will tell on that one.

That said, I'll give Cal the benefit of the doubt for now. If he really has learned to stay out of the way and let Caserio run his organization, for better or for worse, I'll revise my thoughts.

It still doesn't change the fact that Cal was sitting in a bare room at Reliant Stadium playing video games while the adults around him built a football franchise. lol :heh:
This is completely untrue and is a spreading of false information.

It had already been changed to NRG Stadium when he took up video games, before that it was Baby Einstein videos.