Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brandin Cooks to the Texans

Mangler

Toro de España
Great response.

Nuk made DW4'S goals harder to achieve, so if winning a championship is the goal you should care.

But you're right in that this is just entertainment and this off-season has been very entertaining, so I really don't care and find all of the vitriol over this trade highly amusing.
I say give it just a little more time. Let the fan base vent and complain about the Nuk trade up until the Preseason. They’ll come around. I know I was upset/disappointed in the first few days, but I realized that if health can be on our side, we now have a pretty damn well balanced (and FAST) offense. Hell, if DJ can get back to 2016 form we’ll probably now have the best RB in franchise history. And that’s something, considering how awesome Arian Foster was. If O’Brien does well in the draft, we may finally make a deep run.

RGV82

Random guy
I say give it just a little more time. Let the fan base vent and complain about the Nuk trade up until the Preseason. They’ll come around. I know I was upset/disappointed in the first few days, but I realized that if health can be on our side, we now have a pretty damn well balanced (and FAST) offense. Hell, if DJ can get back to 2016 form we’ll probably now have the best RB in franchise history. And that’s something, considering how awesome Arian Foster was. If O’Brien does well in the draft, we may finally make a deep run.
David Johnson from 2016 will never appear again. Not sure why people do not understand this. David Johnson in 2016 was used and abused that year. 300 carries, 80 receptions. Give any player that type of focus and he will produce. He was literally the Cards entire offense that year. He may be good this year, but we have too many other weapons and targets to rely on to ever see a DJ-2016 ever again.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
David Johnson from 2016 will never appear again. Not sure why people do not understand this. David Johnson in 2016 was used and abused that year. 300 carries, 80 receptions. Give any player that type of focus and he will produce. He was literally the Cards entire offense that year. He may be good this year, but we have too many other weapons and targets to rely on to ever see a DJ-2016 ever again.
In response to your comments on Johnson 2016 workload, I was going to respond in this thread, but decided to put it in the David Johnson thread.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The pattern of short-term decision making is going to put the franchise in a hole.

You cannot consistently win by bringing in high-priced talent at the expense of cheaper, younger talent. You can get away with this if you don't have a frachise QB or if that player is still on their rookie contract. Once we have to pay Watson these short-term decisions are going to bite us hard, especially if we continue to trade away our draft capital.
Yeah........but you can't consistently win by constantly bringing in younger, cheaper talent at the expense of veteran leadership either & short term decisions enable you to reinvent your team every year as you need to. Sure, bringing in rookies via the draft is a great way to get the best of all worlds, young, talented guys that if you want you can keep for 4-5 years cheaply...but how often do you hit on all 3 of those? maybe 1 guy a draft if you're lucky.

My point is that at some point, you're gonna have to go out and get that high-priced veteran FA talent to be able to compete consistently regardless of whether you have your franchise guy at qb or if he's on his rookie deal. We saw how frustrated TB12 got working with rookie WR's this past year. What'd they try to do? overpaid for a veteran WR in the middle of the season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wow now Nuk supposedly trashed Bill Obrien. Some people and the lengths they will go to tarnish a players character.

Bull Obrien did not send Nuk to Arizona to help him get paid. Stop that crap. You cannot believe everything that comes out of dudes mouth. Smh
I'm looking at results, unlike you.

Is Nuk gonna get paid? Was he gonna get paid in Houston? Where was my post wrong?

End of story

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True except Fitz was part of the focus of that offense too.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
the spin and narrative will be awesome next year from the buttchin brigade! Cant wait to tune into Cards games to watch Nuk killing it, and then tuning back to a Texan game to watch David Johnson running inside dives and Brandin Cooks getting turned into a vegetable on live TV

"are you not entertained"

I know I will be .. win lose or draw! Its going to be a circus!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Speaking of classless. I don't recall Hopkins publicly shouting at a fan, "You suck too, MF". Did he say something similar on his way out or is this another weak attempt to act like O'Brien was right to trade Hopkins?
Have you ever lost your temper?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
the spin and narrative will be awesome next year from the buttchin brigade! Cant wait to tune into Cards games to watch Nuk killing it, and then tuning back to a Texan game to watch David Johnson running inside dives and Brandin Cooks getting turned into a vegetable on live TV

"are you not entertained"

I know I will be .. win lose or draw! Its going to be a circus!
LOL

Your hate is misplaced.

Looks like you've got a new team to root for. Make sure you stop by here occasionally to let us know how your doing worshiping at the DW4 shrine. I find it hilarious that you would still hate BOB even if he brought a Lombardi to Kirby. You're a WOF certainly not a Houston Texans fan and this is just another example of this.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah........but you can't consistently win by constantly bringing in younger, cheaper talent at the expense of veteran leadership either & short term decisions enable you to reinvent your team every year as you need to. Sure, bringing in rookies via the draft is a great way to get the best of all worlds, young, talented guys that if you want you can keep for 4-5 years cheaply...but how often do you hit on all 3 of those? maybe 1 guy a draft if you're lucky.

My point is that at some point, you're gonna have to go out and get that high-priced veteran FA talent to be able to compete consistently regardless of whether you have your franchise guy at qb or if he's on his rookie deal. We saw how frustrated TB12 got working with rookie WR's this past year. What'd they try to do? overpaid for a veteran WR in the middle of the season.
I think a successful draft is hitting on 2-3 starters each yr and adding ST's guys with the rest of your picks.

Not wading in the high priced FA pool is what's held this franchise back from being a contender. The only yr they played in the high price FA pool was the JoJo/Manning yrs and not coincidentally the 2 yrs that followed were the best in franchise history.

They still dont play in the high end FA pool today. You gotta think this is a directive from ownership.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
The exact same can be said about Nuk. He's likely never going to be all pro again. Give any player those type of targets and they will produce like Nuk did.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I think a successful draft is hitting on 2-3 starters each yr and adding ST's guys with the rest of your picks.

Not wading in the high priced FA pool is what's held this franchise back from being a contender. The only yr they played in the high price FA pool was the JoJo/Manning yrs and not coincidentally the 2 yrs that followed were the best in franchise history.

They still dont play in the high end FA pool today. You gotta think this is a directive from ownership.
This guy disagrees with you

RGV82

Random guy
The exact same can be said about Nuk. He's likely never going to be all pro again. Give any player those type of targets and they will produce like Nuk did.
Receivers are different. They don’t take the pounding and abuse that RBs do. I’m sure there is some truth in what you say but I’m sure the odds of RBs regaining form is much lower than WRs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well when you cant accept the fact that BOB sent Nuk to Glendale and he's gonna get paid, then I can understand where CW is coming from, because the truth doesn't fit your narrative. BOB trading Nuk to Glendale is going to help Nuk get paid. That's a fact.
TB

You can unlike my thoughts all you want too. But it doesn't change the facts.

BTW, you also can unlike my posts about RS but he was an incompetent GM who was more of a politician than a personnel guy. #Godfather

There's a reason he cant get another job in the NFL. Maybe someday God'ell will hire RS. He's even more of a politician than RS is and you know what they say about birds of a feather flocking together.

Those pesky facts.

TB unlike incoming T minus 3... 2... 1....

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Receivers are different. They don’t take the pounding and abuse that RBs do. I’m sure there is some truth in what you say but I’m sure the odds of RBs regaining form is much lower than WRs.
Funny b/c we're having this convo in the Brandin Cooks thread and the 1st thing folks complained aout with him was the number of concussions he has had. Does that count as "pounding and abuse"? Its also known that Nuk sustained some rather serious injuries at the end of the 2018 season he played thru it, but it was clear he was compromised in the playoff game against the Colts that year. At some point, he won't be able to play thru those injuries though.

RGV82

Random guy
Funny b/c we're having this convo in the Brandin Cooks thread and the 1st thing folks complained aout with him was the number of concussions he has had. Does that count as "pounding and abuse"? Its also known that Nuk sustained some rather serious injuries at the end of the 2018 season he played thru it, but it was clear he was compromised in the playoff game against the Colts that year. At some point, he won't be able to play thru those injuries though.
Like I said, I am not saying you are wrong, but if you look at history, I am sure more RBs do not re-establish their previous success versus WRs. RBs overall have lower career span expectancy.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Here is Hopkins saying when he heard about being traded. Even knowing about the trade, he was the one player who stepped in and kept O'Brien from escalating the "You suck too" argument with the fan.

Not much here, but interesting that he said he liked what they were doing there with a young QB.

As in, actually passing the ball rather than run first, I think.

He also isn't criticizing O'Brien, no matter how classless O'Brien is. Hopkins is a high character guy, unlike O'Brien and Easterby

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
I get an unlike from CW too darn funny
Go back and rewatch the last 6 years and pay attention to how many times Hopkins gives up on plays when he's not the main target or a running play has been called. For 20 million a year, i would think you'd want 100 percent effort on every play.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Go back and rewatch the last 6 years and pay attention to how many times Hopkins gives up on plays when he's not the main target or a running play has been called. For 20 million a year, i would think you'd want 100 percent effort on every play.
Dude it’s football, everyone gives up on plays from time to time. I see every receiver doing those exact same things. But who are you or anyone else on this board to say what a player is worth. That youngster is one of the elite receivers in the freaking game.

You’re nitpicking

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Then go back and "pay attention" to all the flaws in David Johnson's game the last 3 years. Are you ******* kidding me? Do you really have to go that far out of the way to make you feel better about the worst trade this franchise has ever had? I get there's not a damn thing that can be done now, but holy ****, how did we even get a 2nd for a flat out bum like Hopkins? Man, some of y'all are ******* pathetic.

Go ahead and give me a dislike, like that ******* means anything.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Then go back and "pay attention" to all the flaws in David Johnson's game the last 3 years. Are you ******* kidding me? Do you really have to go that far out of the way to make you feel better about the worst trade this franchise has ever had? I get there's not a damn thing that can be done now, but holy ****, how did we even get a 2nd for a flat out bum like Hopkins? Man, some of y'all are ******* pathetic.

Go ahead and give me a dislike, like that ******* means anything.

The level some people would go to tarnish a great players character.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Reports are now saying he wants 30 million.
eating popcorn.gif

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
His character is what it is and he copped an attitude to get out of Houston when his guaranteed $$$$ ran out and then threw the man who's offense allowed him to make millions under the bus. Good riddance
Lay off the character thing... what are you going to say when he comes back to coach with BO'b?

RGV82

Random guy
His character is what it is and he copped an attitude to get out of Houston when his guaranteed $$$$ ran out and then threw the man who's offense allowed him to make millions under the bus. Good riddance
Are you judging his character based on his last days here in Houston, or basing them on his entire career here?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are you judging his character based on his last days here in Houston, or basing them on his entire career here?
I'm just telling you the way things went down. If you think that's judging his character then so be it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Ok so what negative comments do you have about his character over his career other than how he recently handled his trade to Arizona?
What are you trying to say here?

To answer your question, holding out for a day 1 yr after signing your new deal that made you the highest paid WR in the NFL. Then he's wanted to renegotiate every yr since. That's his right, but it shows me he's really all about himself and at some point he's not worth the trouble. Apparently that point happened at some point last yr for BOB. Probably after the blow up at practice.

You've got a guy who doesn't practice but blows up at practice because BOB asked him to do something and is always griping about his contract. I can see why BOB decided to cut ties with his a$$.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
LOL @ "he didnt practice enough" LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whatever it takes to slander anyone who disagrees with OBrien!

He didn’t practice often enough. Hopkins says that stems mostly from 2018, when he tore ligaments in his left ankle, requiring tightrope surgery; suffered other maladies (like turf toe); and was iffy to play most of the season, missing practices but no games. Notably, the Texans won nine straight in his best pro campaign, making it hard to argue his absences hurt his team. “No evidence,” Hopkins says. “Go back and check the practice film.”
He hung with the wrong crowd. Hopkins laughs and says his best friend and housemate is his cousin, D.J. Greenlee, a marketer for a sports agency in California. He spends time with fashion and furniture designers, architects, developers, family and fellow athletes. Business leaders send him books to read. The latest: Extreme Ownership, How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win. The volume is fitting, given the events of this spring, because Hopkins says it details how the best teams come together. The relevant takeaway? The necessity of organizational alignment.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
LOL @ "he didnt practice enough" LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whatever it takes to slander anyone who disagrees with OBrien!

Are you just hanging around here to be a pest?

Obviously you're not a Texans fan.

Maybe you should go join the Cards MB.

If it took trading DW4 to get you off this MB then I'm on board.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yep, I was extremely angry at first more so because of what we got rather than the trade as I was with Clowney. I have also been disgusted with O'Brien for years so his latest moves didn't give me pleasant dreams. Regardless of our offseasons, by game one I am optimistic and each year health is huge concern for all our players. Watson will miss Hop but he should be glad to return to a Clemson type WR corps that offers speed plus across all WRs and both DJs in backfield. TEs should be better and I was shocked that Fells returned for a good contract rather than going elsewhere.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Wow now Nuk supposedly trashed Bill Obrien. Some people and the lengths they will go to tarnish a players character.

Bull Obrien did not send Nuk to Arizona to help him get paid. Stop that crap. You cannot believe everything that comes out of dudes mouth. Smh
SO..we have to believe everything from Hopkins but disregard what OBrien says? I am not disputing anything that might have been said or not but when you say something like this I scratch my head.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What I am hoping is DJ can get close to 2016 stats without those carries in this offense. Those "other weapons" are why my hope exists. Watson should have 550 - 600 passing attempts and 6000 yards with both DJs getting significant yardage, air and ground. IMO it all rests on #4.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Ok so what negative comments do you have about his character over his career other than how he recently handled his trade to Arizona?
IF anyone is stating as a fact that Hopkins wanted to renegotiate every year since signing his new contract, they are blatantly lying or talking out their a$$. Ask them to provide a link.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

I like that we have an extremely young QB, OLine, DBs and if Watts leaves after this season as I expect our dline.