Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BILL O'BRIEN FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.
With HC Ratchett finally gone.....maybe we'll see what this team can really do. I think the players are going to be playing to show the NFL they just had the wrong leader at the helm. Player revolt will have something to prove on Sunday.
They better. If these rumors about a players revolt are true (& I believe for the most part they are) it’s time to put up. Ownership heard them & gave them what they wanted.

With HC Ratchett finally gone.....maybe we'll see what this team can really do. I think the players are going to be playing to show the NFL they just had the wrong leader at the helm. Player revolt will have something to prove on Sunday.

I think OBs inflexibility caught up to him. Instead of adapting and making small changes to fit his players he kept trying to find his ideal players to fit into his vision and even if they didn’t quite fit he made them “Get on the line and run it anyways!!”

That’s nice in theory, and maybe they do come out Sunday like the world’s been lifted off their shoulders, but they’re still a team that’s been stripped of talent. And last I checked, Devlin was still here.

I do think the offense has a better chance to up production. I mean, you’ve got Fuller, Cooks is more than adequate talent, and of course Watson. If Kelly can find a way to use that talent, put them in better positions to succeed, I think they can move up to an average offense.

I fear that because Kelly being with OB for 9 years and being the only one he’s had a chance to learn from, that we may get more of the same.

And I don’t see the defense improving much. Not only has that side been stripped of talent, it didn’t even get replenished like the offense did with guys like Cooks and Cobb. And don’t think that RAC fixes much there. They were giving up 168 yards per game on the ground the 2nd half of last season with RAC calling the shots, with DJ Reader on the team.

That’s nice in theory, and maybe they do come out Sunday like the world’s been lifted off their shoulders, but they’re still a team that’s been stripped of talent. And last I checked, Devlin was still here.

I do think the offense has a better chance to up production. I mean, you’ve got Fuller, Cooks is more than adequate talent, and of course Watson. If Kelly can find a way to use that talent, put them in better positions to succeed, I think they can move up to an average offense.

I fear that because Kelly being with OB for 9 years and being the only one he’s had a chance to learn from, that we may get more of the same.

And I don’t see the defense improving much. Not only has that side been stripped of talent, it didn’t even get replenished like the offense did with guys like Cooks and Cobb. And don’t think that RAC fixes much there. They were giving up 168 yards per game on the ground the 2nd half of last season with RAC calling the shots, with DJ Reader on the team.

I believe Watson will get to have some input in helping Kelly write up this weeks plan. I also believe Kelly realizes he may be coaching for his career.....b/c OB isn't getting picked up anytime soon. If he does, it'll be at a smaller CFB program and I'm not sure the rest of the coaching staff will see paydays they've become accustomed to. I just don't see Kelly trying to prove OB's system was really good unless he's had a secret desire to see what delivering pizza's is all about.

Not sure what OB's influence on defense was other than constantly putting the games on their shoulders after folding the tents on offense. JJ Watt may have an opportunity to lead this defense by example this week. Look forward to seeing what Weaver dials up.

In all honesty, I could see Crennel having his meeting with the staff after the OB firing and telling them.....gentlemen, my coaching career is reaching its conclusion and however this season finishes, it'll have zero influence on my future. Hail, this will probably be my last season. So, with this information on the table, Kelly and Weaver.....the rest of this season is on you b/c it will have an impact on your future as NFL coaches. You may certainly lean on me for feedback or advice but inevitably the product you put on the field will be of your doing.

Last edited:
Fuller, Stills, Akins, Fells should have been enough to get average offense while Cooks & Cobb get up to speed.

I believe Watson will get to have some input in helping Kelly write up this weeks plan. I also believe Kelly realizes he may be coaching for his career.....b/c OB isn't getting picked up anytime soon. If he does, it'll be at a smaller CFB program and I'm not sure the rest of the coaching staff will see paydays they've become accustomed to. I just don't see Kelly trying to prove OB's system was really good unless he's had a secret desire to see what delivering pizza's is all about.

Not sure what OB's influence on defense was other than constantly putting the games on their shoulders after folding the tents on offense. JJ Watt may have an opportunity to lead this defense by example this week. Look forward to seeing what Weaver dials up.

In all honesty, I could see Crennel having his meeting with the staff after the OB firing and telling them.....gentlemen, my coaching career is reaching its conclusion and however this season finishes, it'll have zero influence on my future. Hail, this will probably be my last season. So, with this information on the table, Kelly and Weaver.....the rest of this season is on you b/c it will have an impact on your future as NFL coaches. You may certainly lean on me for feedback or advice but inevitably the product you put on the field will be of your doing.

DW4 will have more input.

The offense will look better because they're playing the Jags and not the Chiefs/Ravens/Steelers.

DW4 will have more input.

The offense will look better because they're playing the Jags and not the Chiefs/Ravens/Steelers.

Wasn't that exactly what OB was counting on? One convincing win regardless of the opponent can be a solid motivating factor going forward. I look forward to seeing what Sunday brings.

They better. If these rumors about a players revolt are true (& I believe for the most part they are) it’s time to put up. Ownership heard them & gave them what they wanted.

They are 50% better off the bat because the first two plays of a series won’t be running it up the middle for little to no-gain.

They might run it to the left or right side.

Or, dare I say it, pass it on a first down.

I think OBs inflexibility caught up to him. Instead of adapting and making small changes to fit his players he kept trying to find his ideal players to fit into his vision and even if they didn’t quite fit he made them “Get on the line and run it anyways!!”
A couple of years ago, I heard an interview discussing an issue with former Patriots' coaches like O'Brien, Matt Patricia and Josh McDaniels is they don't adapt and grow. They have an attitude and arrogance where they behave as if they contributed more to the Patriots' success than they really did.

Their approach is "I did this with the Patriots and it should work here". They totally forget that with the Patriots, they had Belichick, Brady, Gronk and players making significant contributions. They become HCs and that arrogance leads them to believe that if they behave like Belichick and have the control like Belichick, they will succeed because it worked with the Patriots. As coaches, they don't grow or adapt. They become Belichick caricatures and eventually, they insult or turn off the majority of the people around them.

Why would someone ask how did one man 'survive' someone else's firing?

When Gaines was fired, didn't the majority of us expect to see OB get the boot as well?

When Kubiak was fired, didn't the majority of us expect RS to get his walking papers as well?

By estimates, Easterby has had his say in what's going on with the current organization. If he and OB were involved in getting this team to where it was at on Monday, then he should've been looking for a new job right along with OB. Instead, Easterby may have positioned himself to gain more "undeserved" power. Are you satisfied with him sitting at the table while heading the search for the. Texans new GM?

When Gaines was fired, didn't the majority of us expect to see OB get the boot as well?

When Kubiak was fired, didn't the majority of us expect RS to get his walking papers as well?

By estimates, Easterby has had his say in what's going on with the current organization. If he and OB were involved in getting this team where it was on Monday, then he should've been looking for a new job as well. Instead, Easterby may have positioned himself to gain more "undeserved" power. Are you satisfied with him sitting at the table while heading the search for the. Texans new GM?

I'm not especially vouching for Easterby either, I don't care one wit for him really. It's just that OB was fired for the things OB did, obviously. If you want to ask questions that pertain to someone in particular to build a case against that someone then why not just ask specific questions about that someone else and what they have or haven't done, that's all. Otherwise it's guilt by association, and frankly bush league journalism. Find the evidence and build the case, not blow your wad early by asking about 'by estimates'.

By estimates, Easterby has had his say in what's going on with the current organization. If he and OB were involved in getting this team to where it was at on Monday, then he should've been looking for a new job right along with OB. Instead, Easterby may have positioned himself to gain more "undeserved" power. Are you satisfied with him sitting at the table while heading the search for the. Texans new GM?

Easterby will be the GM and he will have a major say into who will be the next coach. I believe they still wants to model their philosophy after the Patriots. I also believe Cal will go the cheap route verses actually interviewing other potential candidates.

I’m very curious to see how will they handle the Weaver and Kelly situations. If they do bring in another HC , will they allow him to bring in his own guys? Will they force him to keep these guys? And will they allow him to come in here and run his type of offensive and defensive philosophy?

I'm not especially vouching for Easterby either, I don't care one wit for him really. It's just that OB was fired for the things OB did, obviously. If you want to ask questions that pertain to someone in particular to build a case against that someone then why not just ask specific questions about that someone else and what they have or haven't done, that's all. Otherwise it's guilt by association, and frankly bush league journalism. Find the evidence and build the case, not blow your wad early by asking about 'by estimates'.

I appreciate your stance but one has to wonder how he's even being thought of as someone who has a lick of credibility in helping the Texans to find their next GM. How did he position himself for that roll?

I appreciate your stance but one has to wonder how he's even being thought of as someone who has a lick of credibility in helping the Texans to find their next GM. How did he position himself for that roll?

I agree with that 100%. And if it were me I'd try to build my case around questions that try to get to the heart of that.

What are his specific qualifications?
What has he done in his time in Houston?
What kind of relationship does he have with Cal/Janice?
How did he feel about the firing of OB?

Not those questions worded as such, but ones that try and get to the root of those ideas.

If Easterby remains with organization I want him to be a player whisperer only. If he has some role in listening/interacting with Cal about players personal issues fine but no input into cap, contracts, scouting, draft etc. If he has insight into vets for free agency due to personal experience with a player as far as mind set, trouble in locker room etc.; speak but carries no weight in decisions.

Easterby will be the GM. . .

:mcnugget:

I agree with that 100%. And if it were me I'd try to build my case around questions that try to get to the heart of that.

What are his specific qualifications?
What has he done in his time in Houston?
What kind of relationship does he have with Cal/Janice?
How did he feel about the firing of OB?

Not those questions worded as such, but ones that try and get to the root of those ideas.

Well said, man. Think like a reporter, not a frustrated Texans fan.

I'm curious about today's interview, but fully expect a very soft interview from Texans media staff and some cloudy, unspecific answers.

Too bad JJ didn't do this 5 years ago.

Just to be Captain Obvious -

Watt has only paid a full season in 2015 and 2018. He hasn’t played a full season in last 3 of 5 years. Meaning he hasn’t had the full OB experience.

I am sure that KC loss is eating at Watt and he too knows that stage will always be more than OB can handle. And then the DHop trade...Watt wasn’t having any of his crap.

Hop new deal:2020 & 2021 $19.5 Cap hit David Johnson 20 &21 $20 m
Hop new deal 2022 $25 million Cooks $13 m so only 12 would come from 2022 cap space of $49 m leaving $37 m for other players.

2022 BMac cut saves $9.5 million
2022 Nick Martin cut saves 8 million

Cal was full of it when he said they didn’t have the money. But they paid a third stringer from the Chiefs. They paid Cunningham who they could’ve FT. They didn’t get rid of B MAC like they said they would. The list goes on and on.

Helping to Bring in, promoting and handing duties over to people only to take them back and/or obstruct them when they made or were about to make decisions that he didn’t like. Was able to get away with it as long as he kept winning, but the argument with JJ and Weaver on the practice field was pretty telling of his M.O..He was obviously feeling the pressure from mounting bad losses and rather than just live and die with the decision he made to promote Both Kelly and Weaver, he endeavored to try to control and change what they were doing if **** didn’t go right. In that regard promoting Weaver and Kelley wasn’t about taking more off his plate, it was about the illusion of that to the fans and the media. Really, those guys were promoted so that he could take over without appearing that he was If things went sideways. No doubt he probably sold the same illusion to the players as well...specifically to DW4 during contract negotiations...”I’m gonna turn over playcalling to Kelly and let him call the game how HE and you would like.........just sign on this dotted line here.”

Well, no one likes to be micromanaged and/or lied to and it appears Weaver wasn’t having it, and neither was JJ who just by being JJ’s position coach and having spent more time on average with Weaver than BoB over the years, he let BoB have it FOR Weaver as well....And so it began.

Dude was just a control freak who couldn’t just let people do the jobs that in a lot of cases HE put them in. and as the years went on each move that he made became increasingly more about him and his need to try to control every aspect of everything b/c as far as he was concerned he was the only guy whose job was on the line.

Easterby needs to go.

Right along with Devlin.

I have zero faith in Kelly.

And Weaver has Shiite the bed so far.

Rappaport, who was/is very close with BOB said today on 790 that Easterby and BOB were in CONCERT and ALIGNED on all the moves BOB made so how on earth he stays I have no idea but if he does stay he goes nowhere near the talent evaluation process, trades, drafting etc. Just keep your smiling ass in the spiritual and rah rah realm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back