Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

BILL O'BRIEN FIRED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bieniemy is heavily involved in the offense. Good article about the system in KC

Reid has pushed back on that by saying everyone is involved with picking plays and that “my energy” is devoted to making sure there are good plays to pick. Bieniemy also downplayed the notion that he’s a bystander while Reid runs the show.

I read that article a while back. All it essentially says is that Bieniemy can be strongly involved with game planning with Reid...........just like Kelly was heavily involved, but when it came to actually calling plays in game (except for the first 3 games of 2020), O'Brien took the reigns.

Eagles have been decimated by injuries at ol and wr. I like Nagy play calling, mitch is and has been a bum

A bum that Nagy either signed off on or took the job thinking he could fix Mitch.

Yes the Eagles ol is hurt this year. It wasn't hurt last year.

Bieniemy has never called any plays in KC, Reid has always been the sole play caller.
I found the reason that Seth Payne is endorsing Eric Bienemy to be interesting and something that has flown under the radar. Unlike most people, it's not the KC scheme and playcalling that intrigues him. What he finds most appealing about Bienemy is the attention to detail and consistency and precision of how they execute that scheme. Even if Andy Reid is the sole architect and playcaller of KC's offense (which I doubt is actually the case), it's the OC's responsibility to coach and prepare the players to execute it effectively. To put it in simple terms, it's not the playcalls that allow KC to execute flawless screen passes, it's the coaching, specifically from the OC, Eric Bienemy. Scheme is one thing, lots of coaches can come up with good ones, but being able to coach a team to effectively and consistently execute that scheme is a lot more rare, and a lot more important.

I found the reason that Seth Payne is endorsing Eric Bienemy to be interesting and something that has flown under the radar. Unlike most people, it's not the KC scheme and playcalling that intrigues him. What he finds most appealing about Bienemy is the attention to detail and consistency and precision of how they execute that scheme. Even if Andy Reid is the sole architect and playcaller of KC's offense (which I doubt is actually the case), it's the OC's responsibility to coach and prepare the players to execute it effectively. To put it in simple terms, it's not the playcalls that allow KC to execute flawless screen passes, it's the coaching, specifically from the OC, Eric Bienemy. Scheme is one thing, lots of coaches can come up with good ones, but being able to coach a team to effectively and consistently execute that scheme is a lot more rare, and a lot more important.

Sounds intriguing - but the question then becomes: is he just a great OC or also a great HC? Maybe his best qualities are those you just mentioned - but he is not great at managing the whole team, offense and defense, come up with gameplans each and every week and call the right play when the time has come (or find an OC that can)... I am not arguing against him, so far he seems like an ideal candidat. But the question for every candidate that has only been a coordinator until now is, if he can also do all the other things a HC needs to do, or if he is just a gread coordinator (Josh McDaniels comes to mind or Wade Philips...).

A DT giving his thoughts on offense is laughable

Sounds intriguing - but the question then becomes: is he just a great OC or also a great HC? Maybe his best qualities are those you just mentioned - but he is not great at managing the whole team, offense and defense, come up with gameplans each and every week and call the right play when the time has come (or find an OC that can)... I am not arguing against him, so far he seems like an ideal candidat. But the question for every candidate that has only been a coordinator until now is, if he can also do all the other things a HC needs to do, or if he is just a gread coordinator (Josh McDaniels comes to mind or Wade Philips...).

Experience counts

Give me a guy who has atleast called plays.

I don't think people realize that the Vikings weren't playing the same defense late in the 4th quarter they had been the rest of the game.

Often on those last two Texans drives they were rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage , just keeping everything in front of them , making the clock tick.

Only when they did that did the Texans offense start moving the ball with any effectiveness.
Another false narrative.
They only did that on 3rd and 24 and 4th and 10, but Watson killed it to make it a one-score game again.
After that, it's just normal defense. Nobody is going to play prevent defense up by just one score.

Exactly my thoughts in the new coach thread, when you watch KC, they are well coached on offense at all levels, the detail is amazing. Scheme is fine, but implementing the details that hide everything or set up the next play without tells is beautiful . I think Mahommes and Reid should get plenty of credit, but the guy who works with the offense and offensive coaches is the guy getting the detail right, and that matters a ton

Lol, its amazing how these guys are so inept at analyzing their own rationale. It's also hilarious considering that before Mahomes, Matt Nagy was that same great coach and OC who had somehow coached up Alex Smith & gotten Alex Smith to look better than he'd ever looked in his entire career in KC. Well, why couldn't he do that with Mitch Trubisky..a guy they moved up in the draft and was his handpicked guy? Why has their offense looked almost as bad as ours in his tenure in Chicago?

Bienemy at the time was just a RB coach & wasn't being considered for anything. Now, b/c he has the title of OC & got to preside over the beginning of the Mahomes era, he's supposed to be this great offensive mind & HC in waiting................ when he's only been "allegedly" calling plays for 3 years? He might very well be a great HC, but c'mon folks use your common sense.

Last edited:
Good post. But I find it strange then that in the Texans case, the OCs weren't given the same "credit" for the poor performances.

The Texans fired Bill O'Brien now? Barnwell on the strange timing, O'Brien's rocky tenure and Houston's future
5:40 PM CT
Bill Barnwell ESPN Staff Writer

Monday's news that the Houston Texans were firing head coach/general manager Bill O'Brien after an 0-4 start was somehow simultaneously stunning and not surprising at all. I've been skeptical of O'Brien's decision-making since he assumed personnel power in 2019, with move after move seemingly betraying either a lack of long-term vision or a failure to understand how the rest of the NFL values players. I can understand why Texans ownership would evaluate those moves and plan to find a solution to replace O'Brien as the team's general manager in the years to come.

Firing O'Brien the coach right now, though, makes absolutely no sense. The Texans are 0-4 and flailing in the AFC South, but they've played the league's toughest schedule, with games against the Chiefs, Ravens and Steelers before a loss on Sunday to the Vikings. Losing to the previously winless Vikings obviously isn't anything great, but O'Brien had won four division titles in his prior five seasons with the organization. Four losses against mostly excellent competition shouldn't be enough to drastically steer the organizational ship in the opposite direction and start a brand-new direction. It makes you wonder how much ownership was actually paying attention before this slow start.

Let's split the decision across O'Brien's two different roles, because I look at each differently:
_end_rule.png
Firing Bill O'Brien the GM

How much could really have changed between now and the end of August? Sure, O'Brien's decision to trade away wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins for running back David Johnson and a second-round pick doesn't look great, but it looked bad in March when ownership presumably signed off on the idea of trading away the team's star player. Other trade acquisitions such as running back Duke Johnson and cornerback Gareon Conley have been injured. The overpays for low-ceiling free agents such as wideout Randall Cobb and safety Eric Murray haven't gone well -- the Texans were interested in free agent Earl Thomas to replace Murray in the starting lineup, with Justin Reid playing more strong safety, before O'Brien's players reportedly talked him out of the move -- but those were decisions that looked awful at the time.

O'Brien paid over the odds to lock up young core pieces including quarterback Deshaun Watson, offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil and linebacker Zach Cunningham, handing out contracts that were more generous than market value, but that's also not a fireable offense. Under any circumstances, the level of oversight from Texans ownership is baffling. There was a time to pull the reins back on O'Brien, but it was a while ago. His 2019 moves suggested he was overmatched when it came to trades and contract negotiations. Letting him get a second offseason in charge of personnel decisions was the mistake ownership made.
OK, so, with the Texans spending a league-high $249.3 million on players this season while starting 0-4, why not correct that mistake as early as possible and get O'Brien out of the GM chair? For one, they can't go out and get an immediate replacement. Early reports suggest Houston will turn things over to former Patriots chaplain Jack Easterby, who was brought by O'Brien to Houston in 2019 and became vice president of football operations in 2020. Pretty much every bad move O'Brien has made over the past two years has come with Easterby in the picture, so the idea that Easterby is somehow going to fix the problems left with this organization after O'Brien's departure seems curious.

Furthermore, while the Texans have Watson and several other promising young players, this is going to be one of the least appealing jobs in the league. The Texans didn't have their first- or second-round picks in 2018 after trading for Watson and dumping Brock Osweiler's contract. They sent away 2020 first- and second-round selections as part of the trades for Tunsil and wide receiver Brandin Cooks, and while they got one back in the Hopkins deal, they don't have their first- or second-round choices in 2021.

Any general manager who takes this job is going to be feeling the pinch of those missing picks and won't get another crack at a high pick until 2022. Ownership just committed a ton of money to contracts, meaning the Texans aren't likely to be aggressive in free agency over the next year or two. Plus, while some would-be general managers might be interested if they can get time to retool the roster and restock the draft capital, Houston has been wildly erratic with its timelines. Since owner Cal McNair took control after the death of his father in 2018, he has fired general manager Brian Gaine after winning a division title in his only year on the job, let O'Brien reshape the organization to his liking, then fired the former Penn State coach after an 0-4 start. Why would any promising executive with options elsewhere want to take on this role?

Bill O'Brien finished his tenure in Houston with a 52-48 regular-season record and two playoff wins -- one in 2016, and another in 2019.

In reality, when the Texans let O'Brien trade away a boatload of draft picks to acquire Tunsil and moved on from Hopkins, they should have committed themselves to seeing the O'Brien experiment through until the end of 2021. That would have been the right time to reevaluate things, and if the Texans were going to move on from their coach/GM at that point, they could hire someone with a fully stocked closet of draft picks and the chance to get out from under several of O'Brien's questionable contracts.

Firing O'Brien now acknowledges that the Texans were wrong to give him that sort of power, but it doesn't do anything to alleviate the problems. A more realistic path would have been to use the veto power of ownership to block anything particularly egregious O'Brien had planned and tell him he was going to need to win with the roster he spent months building. That might not have gone over well -- and it's possible O'Brien wasn't willing to work as a coach if he didn't have full power as general manager -- but the team made this bed for itself over the past two years. An 0-4 start shouldn't have been what made the Texans realize their mistake.

Firing Bill O'Brien the head coach

Let's add offensive playcaller to his list of duties after reports that O'Brien took over in Week 4. At times, though, his solution for any plan seemed to be rubbing more Bill on it and hoping it fixed the problem, which seemed ill-advised given that O'Brien had ceded playcalling duties to Tim Kelly in only February.

Leave O'Brien the general manager aside, though, and think strictly about the coaching side of things. Can you really justify this move? O'Brien took over a 2-14 team with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback and posted five winning seasons in six years at the helm. The only losing season he had was when Watson tore his ACL in 2017. The Texans were 52-48 over O'Brien's six-plus years at the helm, but they won four division titles in five years.

THE REST OF THE STORY

It was posted that regarding the Vikings game, "Nobody is going to play prevent defense up by just one score." Funny but that has been the case with the Texans defense since the beginning of time.
I hate to say this, but do you have proof?

Teams will play back deep on the last few plays in a game or when there's maybe a minute or so left when it's far away from the end zone, and that's not really the prevent defense.

Prevent defense is when there's still 4-5 minutes left.

Of course, a WR would ask for a quick game, especially if it were a slot. Watson has been reported to think he needs to speed up HIS game. But it has never been reported him to want a "quick game."
A quick game here means running more short routes rather than those long developing route combos.

And the Texans did finally run more of those in the Vikings' game.

Ironically, I think it's a game where they should open up more against those rookie CBs, especially after their PB safety was ejected from the game.

I believe they fired him now because there was an increasingly toxic environment in the Texans locker room and front office. This is being reported by multiple people, and combined with O'Brien's teapot anger history, it is not surprising.

Bob McNair would have cut him after yelling "f*** you" at fans and coaching the fourth worst playoff choke in NFL history.

Cal & Janice are enigmas, so we don't know what to expect, but based on what we've seen so far, don't get your hopes up. I expect the typical short-sighted bush league crap that has plagued this franchise since the beginning. Inherent problems are inherent.

I believe they fired him now because there was an increasingly toxic environment in the Texans locker room and front office. This is being reported by multiple people, and combined with O'Brien's teapot anger history, it is not surprising.

Bob McNair would have cut him after yelling "f*** you" at fans and coaching the fourth worst playoff choke in NFL history.

Cal & Janice are enigmas, so we don't know what to expect, but based on what we've seen so far, don't get your hopes up. I expect the typical short-sighted bush league crap that has plagued this franchise since the beginning. Inherent problems are inherent.

I wonder if they kept OB so long and gave him so much leash was because he was the last guy the old man hired...

Like one last chance to see his vision come to fruition.

Itd probably be hard for me to move on from the last thing my dad had put in place as well.

This firing was simply 4 games too late.....actually a couple of years and 4 games too late. I'm hearing on NFL radio that the timing might've been bad but OB wasn't just the Texans HC.....he had time to do more damage as the GM scrambling to try and save his season and job so the axe had to be swung before the trade deadline neared. But, this is the past and the only thing the team can do is look towards the future.

I do like the fact that the guys on NFL Radio just dropped Dabo Sweeney's name first as someone the team should be looking at. To me, the team should at least sit down and try to have some discussion with Sweeney and see if there's any chance he'd be interested in bringing his coaching skills to the NFL. No one will ever know if they don't ask and show him how many zero's they'd be willing to add to his contract. Maybe he's ready for the challenge.....Saban tried and he returned to CFB stronger than ever. One thing is for certain, he'll get paid very well for that move. One thing I like about this pursuit....Sweeney's experience and strength as a HC/Leader and the fact that he probably convinces his entire staff to make the move with him. The only growing pains with this group would be, determining how much they do translates to the NFL and how quickly they could incorporate the necessary tweaks. My biggest question, would Sweeney demand to be in complete control as he enters the NFL ranks or would he be willing to work with a young FO and experienced cap specialist so he could focus on building a team and getting his system incorporated.

Now, I also like Bieniemy. He's a young with lots of projected upside as an NFL HC. Only most NFL minds see 2021 as being a season early for EB. They'd like to see him get another season with Reid and start preparing himself a list of potential coaches to fill out a staff. For a new HC like EB, this could be toughest stretch for him as he builds his staff and finds the coaches that mesh with him. I'm not really that concerned as to how many plays EB calling on gameday since the Texans wouldn't be hiring him as OC but as the Texans new HC.....leader. Letting EB do exactly what OB did when he arrived (HC/OC) would absolutely be the same as kicking both ends out of the coffin and wondering how they got right back into the same rut. He has to learn the job of NFL HC while veteran coordinators handle the in game play-calling And take the pressure off this first time HC. So, if the Texans wanted to pounce on EB.....maybe a year early....there's going to be growing pains during the process.

These would be my 2 favorites but I think Sweeney could be in play more than most think, if the money is right and some major pieces are already in place. In my perfect world:

Bill Polian: Ownership/Team Mentor
Eliot Wolf: GM
Alonzo Highsmith: Asst GM/Director of Player Personnel

**OB managed to push Chris Olsen out as the Texans long time cap specialist. Why? I think OB had his agenda and he didn't want any pushback so out with the veteran and the team promoted the much younger Kevin Krajcovic who I think OB just buffaloed when making his last few moves. Personally, I think Krajcovic has a heck of a resume and he learned his trade from Olsen. With OB out of the way, maybe Krajcovic can be what Olsen was to the Texans going forward. Why did Mention this.....this could be one of the more important positions over the next couple of seasons as the team tries to shed itself from bad contracts and gain some control over its cap situation.**

HC: Dabo Sweeney

Last edited:
I wonder if they kept OB so long and gave him so much leash was because he was the last guy the old man hired...

Itd probably be hard for me to move on from the last thing my dad had put in place as well.
I hoped that it was more of a Chip Kelly and Eagles' scenario. A team hires an inexperienced NFL HC, he wins games and continuously seeks more organizational power. Ownership gives him full control and then he fails spectacularly. In other words, gave him enough rope to hang himself.

Ask yourself why they don't run it ....
Isn't this one of the many questions of the O'Brien era? Like why don't they run better screens or why don't they run more play action or why don't they move the pocket more or why don't they run more rub routes or why don't they run more heavy sets in the red zone or why don't they use a FB more to help the running game or why don't they.........

I'm not gonna' lie, that thought has crossed my mind many times.

Where Cal failed his dad was not holding O'Brien accountable and firing Gaine after barely a year as GM (not to mention giving the HC the GM job, too).

But, since this front office is KGB-like with their secrecy, we ultimately just don't know what goes through their minds.

That said, I really hope some basic lessons were learned about a couple of things: one man does not need to be both HC and GM if he's not named Bill Belichick (much less if he hasn't earned it), and, do not promote people when they are responsible for epic fails (51-7).

It was posted that regarding the Vikings game, "Nobody is going to play prevent defense up by just one score." Funny but that has been the case with the Texans defense since the beginning of time.
So to verify what I said vs. what you claim, I went back and looked for the first game the Texans had a lead.
vs. Tampa Bay last year.
They took a 3pt lead with over 7 minutes to go.
The Bucs had two legitimate chances to mount a comeback.

The Texans D did exactly the opposite of what you claimed.
They brought 5 and 6 often, and never rushed just 3.

It certainly seems like we have a lot of false narrative on here, aren't we?

Yes it was very toxic to the point of nobody being able to express themselves to Bill O’Brien. This last loss caused all types of friction between several players and Bill O’Brien. The face of the organization had a serious talk with Janice and Cal. The rest was history

Isn't this one of the many questions of the O'Brien era? Like why don't they run better screens or why don't they run more play action or why don't they move the pocket more or why don't they run more rub routes or why don't they run more heavy sets in the red zone or why don't they use a FB more to help the running game or why don't they.........
Why don't do things that look easy (but only now and then).
Everything is like a labor with OB.
Just keep running into brick walls. :hankpalm:

Pancakes just had a session on NFLN’s NFL Now. He said OBrien the GM got the HC fired. Also said if we had won this last game, thanks WFV’s hands, OB would still be here. Also said this was Cal’s call and not Easterby. He was asked who would pick the GM and HC; Cal was his answer.

I wouldn't be that surprised to see Miami, if in the 1 spot, draft Trevor Lawrence. Arizona did the same thing to Josh Rosen. Miami could always rape the Jags in the process of trading Tua to them.
That should be Miami's approach. Tu'a Tag is good but injury big concern to me and why I brought trade of Watson for our picks prior to his mega deal.

Bieniemy to me is comparable with high first round pick in that you know what he has accomplished and others want him but will he flourish at next level. Risky but with B I take the risk.

Pancakes just had a session on NFLN’s NFL Now. He said OBrien the GM got the HC fired. Also said if we had won this last game, thanks WFV’s hands, OB would still be here. Also said this was Cal’s call and not Easterby. He was asked who would pick the GM and HC; Cal was his answer.

Gotta' take Pancakes with a grain of salt. I appreciate his tenure as an NFL reporter, but his takes are just guesses like the rest of us. He sucks up to the Texans front office so he doesn't lose his press credentials and weekly spots on local sports talk radio.

Yes it was very toxic to the point of nobody being able to express themselves to Bill O’Brien. This last loss caused all types of friction between several players and Bill O’Brien. The face of the organization had a serious talk with Janice and Cal. The rest was history

This i agree with. I think alot of the key guys were upset with the Hopkins deal, but they somewhat understood it from a money perspective. In that regard I think there was tempered optimism coming into the season b/c outside of the Hopkins trade, Bill had done everything that everyone thought he should do according to well, everyone. He got enough playmakers on the outside to somewhat offset the loss of Nuk for DW4 and he gave up playcalling to someone else who was seemingly going to be allowed to be different from the way BoB had called plays & was a fresh voice that listened to the players.

Then the 0-3 start happened. & while it wasn't totally unexpected, the pressure began to mount coming into this must win against the Vikes. & BoB being BoB, he couldn't help himself...He reneged on the playcalling duties and likely any promises that may have been made to allow for Kelly to call the game how he and the players wanted........and I think that was the last draw for alot of the guys in that locker room......Especially when you go out in the post game presser and pretty blatantly lie that Kelly was calling the plays. Might've been true on a few drives, but it was clear BoB was calling a few himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back