Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

badboy

Hall of Fame
29 YOA Brian Williams cut by Jets saving 7 million cap. He ended 2019 starting right guard with dislocated shoulder. 2017 had core injury and played thru several games. If Cnnnd clears him I'd offer him a contract to add depth. He might beat out Fulton and perhaps move Fulton to center. Don't think it happens but would approve of him..if healthy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Jaguars down 7 defensive lineman four probably permanently. I sure hope we can work a trade for Yannick. Jags brought in Tim Jernigan waiting to pass Covid procedures; remember him? He thought he was a Texan and then he wasn't.

badboy

Hall of Fame
In regards to Coutee in trade, he and TE Warring getting some "air time" mention as trade bait. Also Phillip Gaines and Kroesson mentioned due to lack of available DBs in priority position. While all quiet on Cunningham and recently on WR Stills both are in final year of contracts. My push has been for Fuller rather than Stills to Jags who need a WR1. Fuller was WR2 to Dhop but who wouldn't be? Recently heard three "analysts" saying Cooks will be WR1 this season as Watson trusts him and TE Jordan Akins. The latter 6'3"250 and "nightmare matchup in passing game".

Scenario: Fuller to Jags along with Cunningham and Injured but still "potential high" Duke Ejiofor for Yannick? Fuller cost would be $10 m but the other two less than two million. Yannick would clear $18 and they drafted Chaisson to replace him if he held out. Cunningham only had 2 sacks but 142 tackles. He is not a ham sandwich. If Jacksonville doesn't need him 2021, cut with minimal cost this season. Jags want a first for Ngayoue but most I hear is a second round and that is weak due to no one knowing if he will sign extension after 2020. Fuller and Cunningham can start this year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
29 YOA Brian Williams cut by Jets saving 7 million cap. He ended 2019 starting right guard with dislocated shoulder. 2017 had core injury and played thru several games. If Cnnnd clears him I'd offer him a contract to add depth. He might beat out Fulton and perhaps move Fulton to center. Don't think it happens but would approve of him..if healthy.
I'm guessing you were referring to Brian Winters. He was signed by the Bills last week.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Texans don't have a 2021 2nd round pick. Jags aren't trading Yannick for a guys on expiring contracts.
I know but 2 players that can start now seems more valuable than a second round pick any team would offer. Jags had good draft but still need improvement at WR.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I know but 2 players that can start now seems more valuable than a second round pick any team would offer. Jags had good draft but still need improvement at WR.
2 years of control vs 4 years of a draft choice. Even the Jags are smart enough to figure that out.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Blaine Gabbert.
In Duke's 1st game in the NFL, week 2 vs. the Titans. No other sacks for the remainder of his rookie season. Ejiofor is about to miss his second consecutive season due to a major injury. Yet some feel he is still (if he ever was) a "high-potential guy'?

badboy

Hall of Fame
In Duke's 1st game in the NFL, week 2 vs. the Titans. No other sacks for the remainder of his rookie season. Ejiofor is about to miss his second consecutive season due to a major injury. Yet some feel he is still (if he ever was) a "high-potential guy'?
You post a very murky view. How much did you expect from a 6th rounder coming from Wake Forrest with his injury history? He was drafted on his potential (low cost, possible high reward). That happens every draft and by several teams. IMO Texans were hopeful Ejiofor would spend 2018 getting into NFL shape, rehabbing and learning system then see what they had in 2019. His injury in 2019 preseason IIRC put him on IR. He has same potential although injured again now. The risk was and is his health and why I have advocated a trade. He has little value on his own but could be sweetener if partnered with others as I posted.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would offer Fournette about $2m with his remaining 4 being paid by Jags. Add incentives to add GTD $ 2021 and 3 years more past 21 that can become GTD roster dollars. He was better than David J 2019 with 1150 run yardage and insurance if DJ not healthy. Both are big 220 + guys to pound when needed. Duke my halfback and I cut Higdan and Howell replaced by Scottie Phillips.

You have Johnson and Fournette competing and hopefully F winning and assuming some of DJ cap dollars of $7 m in 2021. If F is not what I think he can be he is gone next off season, no harm no foul.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I would offer Fournette about $2m with his remaining 4 being paid by Jags. Add incentives to add GTD $ 2021 and 3 years more past 21 that can become GTD roster dollars. He was better than David J 2019 with 1150 run yardage and insurance if DJ not healthy. Both are big 220 + guys to pound when needed. Duke my halfback and I cut Higdan and Howell replaced by Scottie Phillips.

You have Johnson and Fournette competing and hopefully F winning and assuming some of DJ cap dollars of $7 m in 2021. If F is not what I think he can be he is gone next off season, no harm no foul.
Today, the Texans could get LF for a veterans minimum prove-it type of deal if no one else is in on the bidding. Throw in a bonus here and an incentive there....maybe he’s a Texan for 2020.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Today, the Texans could get LF for a veterans minimum prove-it type of deal if no one else is in on the bidding. Throw in a bonus here and an incentive there....maybe he’s a Texan for 2020.
Yeah but he has to go through waiver process and I imagine more than one team ahead of Texans would claim him. My understanding is if he wins his 2018 appeal, he is owed his 2020 base salary that was GTD, about $4 m. Any team's offer is subtracted from that. He seems to be the type of player that OBrien would be interested in. Here is lengthy article describing the situation:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I want most of my ST to be 3 rd teamer that can get snaps not full timers on ST. Howell may not beat out Higdan this year. Let Phillips play ST and cut other two. Still irks me Weeks is only 1 trick pony no matter how good. He should be our back up center.

badboy

Hall of Fame
JJ Watt has no chance at super bowl 2020. Is he worth a late round pick to Steelers? They should trade or cut Dupree and use the savings for JJ who would combine with his brother's to give Pittsburgh a good shot at beating Lamar Jackson and Mahomes. Ben is looking great and with Watt, it could be their year. 28-32 in round one could be worth it to Art Rooney ll.

Would Janice allow it? Would you? If she let's him go fans would revolt or would they? Watson may be team face but the smiling boy from Wisconsin is a close #2. Keep this question in mind as it gives Sunday's game a bit more interest if Steelers win decisively but #99 has a good game.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The talk of Texans possibly trading Watt, Fuller and or Cook would really motivate me. I'm lackadaisical about watching college football. But adding a round two and three, minimum would be nice.

badboy

Hall of Fame
4 round mock from Fairbaugh with profootballnetwork.com :

3.69 OG Trey Smith Tennessee 6'6" 325 mailer but sluggish feet. History of treatment for blood clots in lungs twice in 2018. Nothing further noted after blood thinners and aspirin prescribed.

4.102 CB Josh Jobe Alabama a physical DB

4.115 RB Chuba Hubbard 6'0 207

2020 six games: 125/581 yes @ 4.65 and five Tds. Receiving 8/52 @ 6.5 and one Td.

2019 Red shirt freshman: 2,094 yes @ 6.38 avg and 21 touchdowns. 23/198 @ 8.61. One TD.

OptimisticTexan

4 round mock from Fairbaugh with profootballnetwork.com :

3.69 OG Trey Smith Tennessee 6'6" 325 mailer but sluggish feet. History of treatment for blood clots in lungs twice in 2018. Nothing further noted after blood thinners and aspirin prescribed.

4.102 CB Josh Jobe Alabama a physical DB

4.115 RB Chuba Hubbard 6'0 207

2020 six games: 125/581 yes @ 4.65 and five Tds. Receiving 8/52 @ 6.5 and one Td.

2019 Red shirt freshman: 2,094 yes @ 6.38 avg and 21 touchdowns. 23/198 @ 8.61. One TD.
CB- Josh Jobe / Alabama / 6-1 @ 189 lbs. He’s on my list of must have players. I haven’t completed my Mock yet but I’ll post it soon enough.

One player I really like, OL- Daniel Faalele / Minnesota / 6-9 @ 400 lbs. powerful long-armed light on his feet OT.

Another is OLB- Joe Tryon / Washington / 6-5 @ 262 lbs. Fast with loose hips and can cover.

If the Texans could have these guys in RD3 and RD4.....could be some strong additions.

badboy

Hall of Fame
CB- Josh Jobe / Alabama / 6-1 @ 189 lbs. He’s on my list of must have players. I haven’t completed my Mock yet but I’ll post it soon enough.

One player I really like, OL- Daniel Faalele / Minnesota / 6-9 @ 400 lbs. powerful long-armed light on his feet OT.

Another is OLB- Joe Tryon / Washington / 6-5 @ 262 lbs. Fast with loose hips and can cover.

If the Texans could have these guys in RD3 and RD4.....could be some strong additions.
Faalele is interesting and all reports indicate he is very good. Height weight concerns me as I don't recall any NFL player being successful with that combo. Perhaps some of the earlier Hogs at WFT.

I recall mocking Dan Sullivan, had short time in NFL.

OptimisticTexan

Landon Dickerson Alabama's center 345 pounds was not mentioned but I did only a cursory scan. If he's there at our 5th I would jump.
Could you imagine if the Texans somehow got Faalele and Dickerson in the same draft and after RD3?

OptimisticTexan

Faalele is interesting and all reports indicate he is very good. Height weight concerns me as I don't recall any NFL player being successful with that combo. Perhaps some of the earlier Hogs at WFT.

I recall mocking Dan Sullivan, had short time in NFL.
This guy is strong and amazingly athletic for his size. Park him at RT and kick Howard inside.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Could you imagine if the Texans somehow got Faalele and Dickerson in the same draft and after RD3?
I was just thinking that.

3rd and shorts wouldn't be an issue. They just dont have the picks to make this happen. I wouldn't mind Jobe in the 3rd.

If they drafted Cox in the 3rd and then used a 4th/5th to trade back into the 3rd for Jobe I would be very happy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yep, the mock had Nagee Harris #88 after Jobe and I'm sold on him. Hubbard in 4th would be just fine. F and D would allow us to use round three elsewhere. Nothing with Texans leads me to hope a good draft occurs in 21.
I am just about fed up with drafting outside linebackers.

OptimisticTexan

3rd and shorts wouldn't be an issue. They just dont have the picks to make this happen. I wouldn't mind Jobe in the 3rd.

If they drafted Cox in the 3rd and then used a 4th/5th to trade back into the 3rd for Jobe I would be very happy.
It could look like this:

RD3 CB Jobe
RD4 LB Tryon
RD4 OL Faalele
RD5 OL Dickerson

Any reasonable trade of Watt probably lands a RD4 or RD3 if he finishes strong. Make Roby, Cobb, and Cooks available and maybe there’s a few more picks to be had before RD5.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I have Jobe higher than round 4 but if Fairbaugh is correct Jobe 4a and Hubbard 4b with Dickerson round five would be amazing. I think Dickerson translates well to guard as well s center.
Cox is not a coverage LB although his INT this year was a TD he had only six passes defended CAREER at North Dakota State.

badboy

Hall of Fame

I have Jobe higher than round 4 but if Fairbaugh correct round three takes on even greater significance.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm signing

FA's Gus Edwards RB Balt
FA Alex Azelone LB N.O
On the cheap

FA William Jackson to a Roby type contract
Avery Williamson
I'm also bringing back Conley on the cheap.

I love Edwards game and he should be cheap
Gotta have LB's that can run and upgrade the secondary.

Rd.3 Jobe- CB Alabama

Trade up Rd.3 Jordan Smith Edge Alabama-Birmingham

Rd.5 trading both 6ths Brian Robinson RB Alabama

Rd.7 B.J. Foster S UT

Checkout Jordan Smith, he's a big long guy with plenty of juice off of the edge.

I couldn't find a spot for a NT but maybe trading Watt would clear up enough space to add a vet NT.

Of course all of this depends on what type of offense/defense the new GM/HC want to run.

Another guy I really like in the 3rd is DT Jaylen Twyman DT Pitt. great player with movement skills. At 6'2 290 he's a 3 tech in a 4-3 defense. He's a great player though.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I'm watching Alabama vs Kentucky

Alabama's Jobe and Kentucky's Kelvin Joseph are both CB's that would be upgrades for the Texans and could be available in the 3rd/4th rd.

I watched Kentucky the week before and was really impressed with 2 - redshirt sophs - Rodriquez -5'11" 225 RB and WR/TE Upshaw - 6"6" 245 .... both of them can run ! They've got a big tackle - Landon Young - 6'7" 325. They've got another impressive tackle Darian Kinnard 6'5" 345 and a guard Austin Dotson - 6"6" 315 .... I don't remember them attracting such talent in past years.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I watched Kentucky the week before and was really impressed with 2 - redshirt sophs - Rodriquez -5'11" 225 RB and WR/TE Upshaw - 6"6" 245 .... both of them can run ! They've got a big tackle - Landon Young - 6'7" 325. They've got another impressive tackle Darian Kinnard 6'5" 345 and a guard Austin Dotson - 6"6" 315 .... I don't remember them attracting such talent in past years.
Kentucky LT Landon Young is a big strong guy that will probably play og in the NFL and could be one of the 6th or 7th Rd pick.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I'm watching Miss St and Georgia again, if you look up beast in the dictionary, there is a picture of Ben Cleveland !!

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm watching Miss St and Georgia again, if you look up beast in the dictionary, there is a picture of Ben Cleveland !!
Cleveland just does not move backwards! He is solid but I would hesitate over his broken left tibia which led to subsequent ankle injuries. Also I believe he had a neck injury this past season. 345 pounds is a lot if his lower extremities are fragile. He also had significant academic issues. Yet if he falls in draft...

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Cleveland just does not move backwards! He is solid but I would hesitate over his broken left tibia which led to subsequent ankle injuries. Also I believe he had a neck injury this past season. 345 pounds is a lot if his lower extremities are fragile. He also had significant academic issues. Yet if he falls in draft...

I read about the injuries, while I was watching him play. That was about 3 weeks ago, and I believe, his first game back. The article was labeled - Something about seeing for ourselves if his movement was back to normal. He looked slightly gimpy, but the possible lack of smarts worried me. I watched, what seemed to be his most recent interview. I was actually impressed. He's definitely a good ol' boy from the deep south, but his communication skills were very normal, if not slightly advanced. In the game I was just watching just now, he wasn't limited for such a big man !

badboy

Hall of Fame
I read about the injuries, while I was watching him play. That was about 3 weeks ago, and I believe, his first game back. The article was labeled - Something about seeing for ourselves if his movement was back to normal. He looked slightly gimpy, but the possible lack of smarts worried me. I watched, what seemed to be his most recent interview. I was actually impressed. He's definitely a good ol' boy from the deep south, but his communication skills were very normal, if not slightly advanced. In the game I was just watching just now, he wasn't limited for such a big man !
I'm not as concerned with his first season as I am with repetitive damage on his pedal issues--leg leading to ankle which will be exasperated by push needed by linemen. The neck injury is side issue and more important for me.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If Watson is traded most primary for me is QB Zach Wilson. He is top of line for me. If Walterfootball.com is correct and still long time off and Justin Fields goes before Zach, the trade with Dolphins would be great looking at picks only and not including players I would want from Jets. Here is some info to help in evaluating Tu'a Tagovailoa who has been mentioned in various trade scenarios.

as for Tagovailoa, I wanted to dive into both the tape and the data to pick up where Pizzuta left off to see how a quarterback who put up an above average of 5.4 Total Points Earned per game over his first seven starts suffered such a drop-off in Weeks 16 and 17.

Week 16 vs Las Vegas Raiders
In the first half of the game against the Raiders, a few things jump off the film right away. First of all, this is still the quarterback that we remember from Alabama and he didn’t lose the traits that most evaluators liked about him in the first place. He is an athletic player, he shows good arm talent in terms of strength and especially accuracy, and he has a pocket awareness combined with a niftiness that allows him to keep his eyes downfield. By the same token, Tagovailoa was clearly a tick slow to process, lacking the anticipation that never seemed to be a question within the scope of his college career.

It’s possible that this was a misevaluated portion of Tua’s game coming out of Alabama. Maybe the same way that we all fell in love with Reggie Bush without fully considering the impact of having run blocking that looked more like punt return spacing than anything that he would see in the NFL, we fell for it again, but this time it was the Jeudy-Ruggs-Smith-Waddle juggernaut that benefited our protagonist.

From the looks of this film, though, it might just be that the Dolphins receivers are the polar opposite of that Crimson crew. The receivers are unable to create separation, and another phenomenon that I have seen which might be at play is that when people are consistently not open, eventually the quarterback stops expecting people to be open, and then a spiral can occur that he misses his opportunities when they do become available. With this group, Tagovailoa’s rhythm is light years away from what it was in college, and the Dolphins continuing to feed him conservative play calls only exacerbates things more.

On that playcalling, perhaps it’s unsurprising that offensive coordinator Chan Gailey resigned after the season given that instead of Tua and the scheme jelling together as the year progressed, Tagovailoa played his worst football at the end of the season. As Pizzuta also noted, it’s not as if there are no vertical opportunities built into Gailey’s offense because we saw Ryan Fitzpatrick hit on those very same concepts when he entered the game. That said, for whatever reason Tagovailoa seemed to grow less confident as the year wore on, and without attacking vertically the field became constricted.

Besides the receivers and playcalling, the Dolphins’ offensive line had major issues against Oakland. Miami had some success giving three rookie OLs significant playing time in 2020, but Week 16 made the case that prioritizing a lineman like Oregon’s Penei Sewell at the top of the draft would be wise.

While we’re on the subject of Tagovailoa taking a beating, Tua needs to take advantage of a full off-season and beef up like Lamar Jackson did between Year 1 and Year 2.

Week 17 vs Buffalo Bills
Against the Bills, Tagovailoa had his worst game of the year, but what was interesting about this one was how out of character this game was for him. We have all seen enough Ryan Fitzpatrick over the years to know that Fitz-magic comes and goes, but it was bizarre to see Tua throw caution to the wind and play a very Fitzian game, gunslinging and taking risks. The problem was that Tua played like the bad version of Fitzpatrick, including three interceptions, and his teammates did him no favors.

In the first half, the mistakes were everywhere for the Dolphins’ offense, including missed assignments up front and a slew of dropped passes.

After falling way behind, Tagovailoa clearly got the halftime message to push the ball to DeVante Parker with the season on the brink, and the Dolphins had some success here. Tua came out and looked like an approximation of Fitzpatrick against the Raiders, and the Dolphins scored on a drive where the rookie QB took risks and trusted Parker in a few different contested situations. Of course, the Fitzpatrick impression went the other direction on the next drive when Parker inexplicably fell down on his break and Tua had thrown in his direction blindly, leading to an interception.

Playing from behind, the high-volume attack continued, but as time wore on it became more clear that trying to imitate Fitzpatrick is not the best way for Tagovailoa to be his best self. He threw two more interceptions, both out of character. One was on a throw over the middle – a good read with poor placement. That was out of character for Tua whose over-the-middle accuracy is usually excellent (he completed 72% of his passes that were between the numbers heading into Week 17). The other was a miscommunication, a product of Tua forcing things.

It’s clear that in order to succeed, Tagovailoa needs to play in a more open system where he can push the ball down the field, especially on early downs, to get chunk plays and force the defense to defend the entire field. He has shown the ability to do this. What he hasn’t been able to do is make blind throws to covered receivers, and the amount of forcing the ball that he had to do resulted in his least accurate performance of the season.

Final Word
Despite a rough end to the season and potential for the distracted boyfriend meme in the direction of Justin Herbert, a closer examination of Tagovailoa shows that he still has the traits that led Miami to draft him in the first place. He is an athletic quarterback who moves well in and out of the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and shows plus accuracy on both short and deep passes. While he couldn’t transcend receivers that had a hard time creating separation as a rookie, there is little evidence on film to show that he can’t perform when receivers are open (and can catch).

While a case can be made strategically for or against drafting another quarterback at third overall, it will come down to the evaluation of the available players against the internal evaluation of Tagovailoa, which Brian Flores has rightfully pointed out is by definition more informed than yours or mine.

What is less disputable is the way that wide zone play-action offenses have proliferated around the NFL in large part because the scheme has shown the ability to make mediocre quarterbacks functional (see Goff, Jared) and great quarterbacks transcendent (see Rodgers, Aaron). The system fits with the way Flores wants to control the game defensively, and the bootleg-heavy system is a great way to create multiple launch angles for the diminutive Tagovailoa.

Final Word
Despite a rough end to the season and potential for the distracted boyfriend meme in the direction of Justin Herbert, a closer examination of Tagovailoa shows that he still has the traits that led Miami to draft him in the first place. He is an athletic quarterback who moves well in and out of the pocket, keeps his eyes downfield, and shows plus accuracy on both short and deep passes. While he couldn’t transcend receivers that had a hard time creating separation as a rookie, there is little evidence on film to show that he can’t perform when receivers are open (and can catch).

While a case can be made strategically for or against drafting another quarterback at third overall, it will come down to the evaluation of the available players against the internal evaluation of Tagovailoa, which Brian Flores has rightfully pointed out is by definition more informed than yours or mine.

What is less disputable is the way that wide zone play-action offenses have proliferated around the NFL in large part because the scheme has shown the ability to make mediocre quarterbacks functional (see Goff, Jared) and great quarterbacks transcendent (see Rodgers, Aaron). The system fits with the way Flores wants to control the game defensively, and the bootleg-heavy system is a great way to create multiple launch angles for the diminutive Tagovailoa.

Final Word

Final Word

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tagovailoa rookie stats 10 games threw for 1,814 yards 64%, 11 touchdowns and five interceptions in 10 appearances.

Watson rookie stats In 7 games (6 starts) of his rookie year, Watson finished with 1,699 passing yards 62 %, 19 touchdowns, and 8 interceptions. He also rushed for 269 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Both seriously injured. Watson had a very good second season with Hopkins. Can Tag without a Hopkins?

badboy

Hall of Fame
From a guy I use as a source Benjamin Solak's most recent mock with a trade Miami and SF:
San Francisco receives: 3rd overall pick (2021); 6th round pick (2022)

Miami receives: 12th overall pick (2021); 43rd overall pick (2021); 1st round pick (2022); 2nd round pick (2022); 5th round pick (2022)
My thought is my suggestion of a boatload for Deshaun and then trading 1.3 down to Detroit or SF would give us much, much more.