Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

badboy

Hall of Fame
29 YOA Brian Williams cut by Jets saving 7 million cap. He ended 2019 starting right guard with dislocated shoulder. 2017 had core injury and played thru several games. If Cnnnd clears him I'd offer him a contract to add depth. He might beat out Fulton and perhaps move Fulton to center. Don't think it happens but would approve of him..if healthy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Jaguars down 7 defensive lineman four probably permanently. I sure hope we can work a trade for Yannick. Jags brought in Tim Jernigan waiting to pass Covid procedures; remember him? He thought he was a Texan and then he wasn't.

badboy

Hall of Fame
In regards to Coutee in trade, he and TE Warring getting some "air time" mention as trade bait. Also Phillip Gaines and Kroesson mentioned due to lack of available DBs in priority position. While all quiet on Cunningham and recently on WR Stills both are in final year of contracts. My push has been for Fuller rather than Stills to Jags who need a WR1. Fuller was WR2 to Dhop but who wouldn't be? Recently heard three "analysts" saying Cooks will be WR1 this season as Watson trusts him and TE Jordan Akins. The latter 6'3"250 and "nightmare matchup in passing game".

Scenario: Fuller to Jags along with Cunningham and Injured but still "potential high" Duke Ejiofor for Yannick? Fuller cost would be $10 m but the other two less than two million. Yannick would clear $18 and they drafted Chaisson to replace him if he held out. Cunningham only had 2 sacks but 142 tackles. He is not a ham sandwich. If Jacksonville doesn't need him 2021, cut with minimal cost this season. Jags want a first for Ngayoue but most I hear is a second round and that is weak due to no one knowing if he will sign extension after 2020. Fuller and Cunningham can start this year.

Lucky

Staff member
29 YOA Brian Williams cut by Jets saving 7 million cap. He ended 2019 starting right guard with dislocated shoulder. 2017 had core injury and played thru several games. If Cnnnd clears him I'd offer him a contract to add depth. He might beat out Fulton and perhaps move Fulton to center. Don't think it happens but would approve of him..if healthy.
I'm guessing you were referring to Brian Winters. He was signed by the Bills last week.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Texans don't have a 2021 2nd round pick. Jags aren't trading Yannick for a guys on expiring contracts.
I know but 2 players that can start now seems more valuable than a second round pick any team would offer. Jags had good draft but still need improvement at WR.

Lucky

Staff member
I know but 2 players that can start now seems more valuable than a second round pick any team would offer. Jags had good draft but still need improvement at WR.
2 years of control vs 4 years of a draft choice. Even the Jags are smart enough to figure that out.

Lucky

Staff member
Blaine Gabbert.
In Duke's 1st game in the NFL, week 2 vs. the Titans. No other sacks for the remainder of his rookie season. Ejiofor is about to miss his second consecutive season due to a major injury. Yet some feel he is still (if he ever was) a "high-potential guy'?

badboy

Hall of Fame
In Duke's 1st game in the NFL, week 2 vs. the Titans. No other sacks for the remainder of his rookie season. Ejiofor is about to miss his second consecutive season due to a major injury. Yet some feel he is still (if he ever was) a "high-potential guy'?
You post a very murky view. How much did you expect from a 6th rounder coming from Wake Forrest with his injury history? He was drafted on his potential (low cost, possible high reward). That happens every draft and by several teams. IMO Texans were hopeful Ejiofor would spend 2018 getting into NFL shape, rehabbing and learning system then see what they had in 2019. His injury in 2019 preseason IIRC put him on IR. He has same potential although injured again now. The risk was and is his health and why I have advocated a trade. He has little value on his own but could be sweetener if partnered with others as I posted.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would offer Fournette about $2m with his remaining 4 being paid by Jags. Add incentives to add GTD $ 2021 and 3 years more past 21 that can become GTD roster dollars. He was better than David J 2019 with 1150 run yardage and insurance if DJ not healthy. Both are big 220 + guys to pound when needed. Duke my halfback and I cut Higdan and Howell replaced by Scottie Phillips.

You have Johnson and Fournette competing and hopefully F winning and assuming some of DJ cap dollars of $7 m in 2021. If F is not what I think he can be he is gone next off season, no harm no foul.

OptimisticTexan

92+6 Games and Counting!!!!
I would offer Fournette about $2m with his remaining 4 being paid by Jags. Add incentives to add GTD $ 2021 and 3 years more past 21 that can become GTD roster dollars. He was better than David J 2019 with 1150 run yardage and insurance if DJ not healthy. Both are big 220 + guys to pound when needed. Duke my halfback and I cut Higdan and Howell replaced by Scottie Phillips.

You have Johnson and Fournette competing and hopefully F winning and assuming some of DJ cap dollars of $7 m in 2021. If F is not what I think he can be he is gone next off season, no harm no foul.
Today, the Texans could get LF for a veterans minimum prove-it type of deal if no one else is in on the bidding. Throw in a bonus here and an incentive there....maybe he’s a Texan for 2020.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Today, the Texans could get LF for a veterans minimum prove-it type of deal if no one else is in on the bidding. Throw in a bonus here and an incentive there....maybe he’s a Texan for 2020.
Yeah but he has to go through waiver process and I imagine more than one team ahead of Texans would claim him. My understanding is if he wins his 2018 appeal, he is owed his 2020 base salary that was GTD, about $4 m. Any team's offer is subtracted from that. He seems to be the type of player that OBrien would be interested in. Here is lengthy article describing the situation:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I want most of my ST to be 3 rd teamer that can get snaps not full timers on ST. Howell may not beat out Higdan this year. Let Phillips play ST and cut other two. Still irks me Weeks is only 1 trick pony no matter how good. He should be our back up center.