Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Badboy's 2020 offseason: draft/FA/trades

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Losing early picks is gong to be tough. Based on OB's moves, I think he will make a push to get OL help early.....it's about the only area he hasn't worked in the off-season.
I just hit all the available simulators and had no problem making these first 3 picks:

RD2-040: C/OG- Cesar Ruiz / Michigan

RD3-090: OG/C- Ben Bredeson / Michigan

RD4-111: RB- AJ Dillon / Boston College

This was desire of mine a while back....then the simulators broke it up. Now the simulators are back on board. Ruiz and Bredeson both possess NFL bodies, strength and talent to make an mpact on Day 1. The fact they've had multiple years playing side by side at Michigan, which could make the transition easier for both. Toss in RB AJ Dillon, another Day 1 starter and the Texans could finally have the required road graders on the left / right side and a souped up bulldozer to take advantage of it.

OB could move Fulton for a RD8 pick......I know!!! I know, but dam I don't think Bill does......he wouldn't know until after the ink was dry.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would not be opposed to that draft especially with AJ Dillon however I think if outside linebacker Terrell Lewis is available he will be extremely hard to pass on. I'm also thinking that O'Brien may be arranging 2020 to be the Make It or Break It season for Deshaun Watson.. your draft would support that POV. Even sportscasters are now saying that our wide receiver group could be even more potent than last season. Someone said in another thread we now have four very good WR2. Fuller or Cooks could be a WR1. Our oline and Johnson could be better. Watson wants 30 m he needs to bring it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would not be opposed to that draft especially with AJ Dillon however I think if outside linebacker Terrell Lewis is available he will be extremely hard to pass on. I'm also thinking that O'Brien may be arranging 2020 to be the Make It or Break It season for Deshaun Watson.. your draft would support that POV. Even sportscasters are now saying that our wide receiver group could be even more potent than last season. Someone said in another thread we now have four very good WR2. Fuller or Cooks could be a WR1. Our oline and Johnson could be better. Watson wants 30 m he needs to bring it.
Spot On

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
You don't drive your Franchise QB's value into the dirt with an experiment that is slanted against him....then try to trade him and hope for any value in return. If this experiment goes bad, OB might as well give him his outright release and chalk it up as another QB horribly mishandled by OB and the Texans.

If the experiment goes in Watson's favor, OB better be prepared to back up the Brinks truck and pay him what he and his agent will demand b/c of the hurdles he had to jump in order to have a successful 2020 campaign. If OB tries to trade him b/c he doesn't want to pay him.....well look at his track record and tell me how some y'all think that works out?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I find it too concerning that Lewis missed 6 games in 2017 due to an elbow injury. He missed the 2018 season due to an ACL.
He was healthy last yr.

After looking at his tape again I'm seeing a guy who's greatest strength is his versatility, Alot of his sacks were scheme sacks. This could be because that's how Saban chose to deploy Lewis.

The guy has talent though.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Wisconsin outside linebacker Zac Baun expected to go round one was discovered with a diluted urine stream at combine. Under old CBA it would have been a failed test as indication would be he was trying to hide a substance. But not so under the new one. He has reached out through his agent to all NFL teams encouraging them to contact him for 1:1 conversation.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
This kid missed most of his college career for 2 injuries...............2017 elbow dislocation with torn ligaments which required surgery, missed 10 games..............2018 right ACL surgery for injury sustained training in offseason, missed the entire season. In his 3 year college career, he has very limited experience, but has garnered a great deal of interest for his skill set and versatility........considered one of the Tide’s top pass-rushing threats off the edge..........La Canfora compared his skill set to Von Miller .......... Lance Zierlein compared him to Andre Branch.

Alabama's Terrell Lewis feels overlooked heading into NFL Draft
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle April 14, 2020

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wisconsin outside linebacker Zac Baun expected to go round one was discovered with a diluted urine stream at combine. Under old CBA it would have been a failed test as indication would be he was trying to hide a substance. But not so under the new one. He has reached out through his agent to all NFL teams encouraging them to contact him for 1:1 conversation.
If he's there at 40 do you pick him?

Number19

Hall of Fame
No, he's an ILB in our scheme. We have Cunningham and McKinney, already a strength. We need to upgrade Scarlett at SLB.

I think the real decision is Terrell Lewis.

And when it comes to Lewis, I think the decision is between him and Julian Okwara. Between these two, it's a coin toss.

Using NFL.com (Lance Zierlein) to compare strengths, one thing noted for Okwara, and not Lewis, is an ability to drop into coverage. Also Zierlein makes a point that 1/3 of Okawara's tackles are for a loss. Slight edge to Okwara.

Comparing weaknesses, there's nothing that stands out as separating the two. Both have issues that need work.

Either of these two would be significant upgrades over Scarlett or Ejiofor.

I'd take Okwara over Lewis.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, he's an ILB in our scheme. We have Cunningham and McKinney, already a strength. We need to upgrade Scarlett at SLB.

I think the real decision is Terrell Lewis.

And when it comes to Lewis, I think the decision is between him and Julian Okwara. Between these two, it's a coin toss.

Using NFL.com (Lance Zierlein) to compare strengths, one thing noted for Okwara, and not Lewis, is an ability to drop into coverage. Also Zierlein makes a point that 1/3 of Okawara's tackles are for a loss. Slight edge to Okwara.

Comparing weaknesses, there's nothing that stands out as separating the two. Both have issues that need work.

Either of these two would be significant upgrades over Scarlett or Ejiofor.

I'd take Okwara over Lewis.
I think you're underrating Baun. He's very good in coverage. (A huge upgrade over Scarlett) He also can rush the passer a litle bit. I compare Baun to Van Noy.

Give me Lewis over Okwara but that's just a difference in who we think is going to reach his potential most. I look at Okwara's brother and think that's what he will turn out to be. Which is not bad but not 40 good.

In this Draft if I could walk away with either Gladney/Arnette/Terrell at 40 and Darrell Taylor at 90 I would be very happy.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I would have to pass on him as much as I love him and go with Alex Highsmith at 4.111. I think there is going to be a player with similar values to Terrell Lewis at another position. Ruiz hard to ignore. Posting my final mock soon. Jonathan Taylor, Dobbins, Gladney or Jaylon Johnson over Lewis whom you are evaluating correctly. Corner is deep as 19 posted but Terrell Lewis better than any of those except the Corners I've Just mentioned.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would have to pass on him as much as I love him and go with Alex Highsmith at 4.111. I think there is going to be a player with similar values to Terrell Lewis at another position. Ruiz hard to ignore. Posting my final mock soon. Jonathan Taylor, Dobbins, Gladney or Jaylon Johnson over Lewis whom you are evaluating correctly. Corner is deep as 19 posted but Terrell Lewis better than any of those except the Corners I've Just mentioned.
True

I doubt Gladney makes it to 40. Jaylon Johnson I would take under consideration at 40

I wouldn't pick a RB at 40 although I really like the guys you listed.

Too many holes on defense to pick a RB.

I like Highsmith top, but like Zuninga/Lewis/Taylor/Okwara better.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Wonder if Obrien interested in Yannick Ngakoue 6'2" 252 turned 25 March 31st. His cap hit as tagged is 17.8 and we have $19.5. Yannick recently went public demanding trade after time waiting for team to find a team. Reportedly no offer has been made to Jags. He only had 8 sacks 2019 but 13 QB hits and 77 tackles. More importantly he had 6 passes defended and a 23 yard INT for TD. Four forced fumbles and has missed only two games in his four season career. He will want big dollars but I would be pleased to have him. Probably would improve Tunsil and Howard in practice.

Killer Bee

Waterboy
Yannick is certainly talented but I really question the man's motives and intelligence after reading that entertaining Twitter battle between him and Tony Kahn. In the end, we just don't have the luxury cap wise to afford him.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yannick is certainly talented but I really question the man's motives and intelligence after reading that entertaining Twitter battle between him and Tony Kahn. In the end, we just don't have the luxury cap wise to afford him.
Don't have cap space? My post shows we do.

Killer Bee

Waterboy
Don't have cap space? My post shows we do.
Well I'm no cap expert, but we already have $27.5M tied up with Watt and Mercilus, are two most expensive players. Having three expensive pass rushers is hard to swing in my opinion as it doesn't allow for a balanced roster. The cap space is $19.5M and will probably drop another $10M after/if Tunsil extends, plus rookie deals. So let's say we have $7-8M in space, who do you cut? As you're well aware, Watson, Fuller, Cunningham, Stills, and Jernigan will be up for new contacts next year as well. Obviously it's unlikely we keep them all. With limited 2021 draft capital, even less with a Yannick trade, there's going to be some big holes left in the roster.

Lastly, thank you for all the work you do (and others) on scouting college prospects. I've read it for years and it is ashame it doesn't get the attention it used to.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thanks for the response as I enjoy discussion and the compliments. Cap space can be manipulated several ways to benefit the team and protect player. Former capologist Chris Owens was very good at it. It is significant to remember that we should look at guaranteed $ not annual avg that most discuss. You can have a annual cap hit of $30 million but if not GTD player doesn't get if cut or traded.

For example Tunsil that you mentioned; new extension could be five year $100 m with $50 GTD and actually lower his 2020 hit from $10.35. Give him $25 m signing bonus that can be spread over life of deal; so 2020 becomes $5 m with $20 m base GTD+$5m SB= $25 m for 2021, etc.

Also, here are some players off top of my head that I have posted before who could be utilized to create space: Tashaun Gipson if cut $3.2 but trade pre June 1 $6.4 and post June 1 $6.9. There has been some thought Eric Murray was brought in to push Gipson out.
Zach Fulton might not bring much in trade but is $7 m savings even if cut. Draft is loaded with later round OGs & Rodrick Johnson if left alone might bring as much as Fulon in productivity with a healthy Howard next to him all year. Kenny Stills who has been mention as a trade option offers another $7 m and Kelemete who has no place on roster is a quick $2.8 cut or part of a trade.

Someone no one seems to mention is Duke Johnson is $4.1 cut or trade. If Johnathan Taylor or JK Dobbins falls to 40 DJ could be gone. I would think that would not happen as 2.40 probably would be the offer for Yannick; Yet it is a possibility.

The television package is the key to why players like Watson and Mahommes are sitting quietly. The NFL cap could explode 2021.

The television package is the key to why players like Watson and Mahommes are sitting quietly. The NFL cap could explode 2021.
Badboy, what are you thoughts regarding this if the owners don't increase the cap relative to the perceived increase in revenue from a new TV deal? The TV deal expires in 2022, does that mean the Texans/Chiefs will be forced to use the franchise tag until then if neither QB will sign a deal until then...this could be real ugly.

Childress79

Waterboy
What I think I would do were I Bill O'Brien: Trade 2.40+7.248+Stills to the Jets for 3.68+3.79+6.191

3.68:Chase Claypool
3.79: Jordan Elliott
3.90: Darrell Taylor
4.111: Reggie Robinson
5.171: Khalil Davis
6.191: Tyre Phillips
7.240: trade for 2021 6th
7.250: Gage Cervenka

I would then look for a RB among the UDFA and sign Eric Reid using the savings from the Stills trade

badboy

Hall of Fame
Badboy, what are you thoughts regarding this if the owners don't increase the cap relative to the perceived increase in revenue from a new TV deal? The TV deal expires in 2022, does that mean the Texans/Chiefs will be forced to use the franchise tag until then if neither QB will sign a deal until then...this could be real ugly.
Good thinking but it would be not only stupid but stunning for NFL not to increase the cap substantially. Owners and players get the money with shares of overall NFL revenue but that revenue depends on fans turning in to see superstars. We all might grumble how much athletes get paid but it is still a thrill to discuss our faves earning huge dollars. Every NFL Sunday the buddy I have watched football with since 1987 brings up Manning and Brady and how much they made playing and also non football income. As a society, part of our dream is to think if I had just done a bit better on the field or court, I could be a multi million dollar player.

TV dollars are from advertising-- to us. Proctor and Gamble (Charmin bears and Tide); auto dealers (who hauls more Ford, Dodge, Toyota or Chevy?); do we want beer from the mountains of Colorado or Bud the fave of frogs and lizards? or cerveza from south of the Rio? We want to be in Allstate's good hands or Progressive's Flo?

The current tv contract expires as you said but my understanding is money can be allocated to 2021 as if extension of a 5th year Watson could actually be a re-work of last year of his present deal. I had saved an article about this but not sure I still have and right now too busy to search.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Surprisingly I found the article it is very long but I will highlight what I found interesting.
Viewership plummeted during the 2016 and 2017 seasons after former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick quietly divided football fans by taking a knee during the national anthem to protest police brutality against people of color. President Donald Trump also called for fans to boycott NFL games in 2017.

But NFL ratings have rebounded since then, rising 4% so far this season with an average of 16.5 million viewers through week 16 compared with the same time last year, according to preliminary data obtained by CNBC. The NFL’s ratings also jumped last year, rising 5% from 2017 with an average of 15.8 million viewers. The higher ratings also may give the league the leverage it needs to raise the more than $5 billion in annual fees it charges for the broadcasting rights to its games, league and network officials say. They asked not to be named because the discussions are private.
No other professional sports league generates the kind of cash off its broadcasting rights as the NFL.

The PGA Tour reportedly won a 50% increase for its broadcasting rights worth roughly $700 million per season, split between CBS, NBC and The Golf Channel.
The Brady move to TBay will bring in viewers and many will tune in to Pats to see what THE COACH will do without THE QB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Is this a possibility? Day one has passed and Washington and Jacksonville swallow and know they aren't getting what they hoped for TWIll and Yannick.

JJ Watt to Pittsburgh as both brothers there; Steelers send 3.102 to Washington who sends Trent Williams to Houston.

Houston drafts AJ Epenesa 2.40 and James Lynch 3.90 (my last mock).

Houston trades Kenny Stills and Duke Ejiofor to Jacksonville for Yannick Ngayoue.

Twill is our RT and Howard moves to Right Guard giving us an amazing oline and eliminating need to draft. Kelemete $2.8 + Stills $7 + Fulton's $7 + Brennan Scarlett's 1.8 = 18.6 making TWill highest OT.

Tunsil's current $10.3 + $10m of our present 13.5 (allows for rookie pool)= $20.3

Watt's $15.5 + Scarlett's $1.8 + Ejiofor $.7 = $18 million for Yannick. We still have $3.5 cap plus can move others.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
You don't drive your Franchise QB's value into the dirt with an experiment that is slanted against him....then try to trade him and hope for any value in return. If this experiment goes bad, OB might as well give him his outright release and chalk it up as another QB horribly mishandled by OB and the Texans.
First, when has BO’b ever hope for return value in a trade?

Second there’s nothing in that draft slanted against Watson. Two day one starters IOL & a promising RB.

Third if you’re talking about trading Hopkins, sigh... our overall WR corps is better.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What I think I would do were I Bill O'Brien: Trade 2.40+7.248+Stills to the Jets for 3.68+3.79+6.191

I would then look for a RB among the UDFA and sign Eric Reid using the savings from the Stills trade
While I don’t have anything specifically against this, I hope trading out of the 40th spot nets an extra pick next year.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Like your thinking outside box for more picks however I want 2.40 as several dynamic guys could drop to there. Huge drop off in talent.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just found out Jags turned down Raiders 1.19 for Yannick. Thinking seems to be they will accept 19 plus something to move him as evening progresses.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tunsil's new extension did not shock me as it did many. If a true extension leaving 2020 cap hit at $10.35 with signing bonus spread beginning 2021 it is IMO a very good deal. the $76 million spread over four seasons brings the annual avg to $19 m which very reasonable. The 56 GTD is about as I thought as Taylor Lewan's was $50. He will have to eliminate the penalties which I expect as it was his first season with minimal practise in new system.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm going keep dreaming of trades bringing Yannick and Jamal Adams to Texans. That would be a defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I love Adams and think he would be a great addition. I would cut Fulton/Stills to pay for Adams and run with Kelemete/Quvale at RG.

Would you give up next yrs 3rd foe Hamilcar Rasheed Edge Ore St. ?

Who are some good cover LB's that could be there in the 3rd/4th rds?

Tell me what you think what you think about ULL RB's Mitchell/Ragas? If one of those guys is there in the 4th rd that would be my pick. Those guys are really talented.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

If the experiment goes in Watson's favor, OB better be prepared to back up the Brinks truck and pay him what he and his agent will demand b/c of the hurdles he had to jump in order to have a successful 2020 campaign. If OB tries to trade him b/c he doesn't want to pay him.....well look at his track record and tell me how some y'all think that works out?
OB already blew "the out" he had to trade Watson and get away with it this year. I said he should have done it to get Tua if he really wanted to try and go through with something like that. I don't know that he'll have a situation with a young player again where he can do it as easily as he could have this year. I'm not saying I would have wanted this, but it would have been the safest trade OB could have done to move away from Watson if that was what his objective was.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I love Adams and think he would be a great addition. I would cut Fulton/Stills to pay for Adams and run with Kelemete/Quvale at RG.

Would you give up next yrs 3rd foe Hamilcar Rasheed Edge Ore St. ?

Who are some good cover LB's that could be there in the 3rd/4th rds?

Tell me what you think what you think about ULL RB's Mitchell/Ragas? If one of those guys is there in the 4th rd that would be my pick. Those guys are really talented.
I'm not as concerned with money but what trade would Jets accept. I think we could get something for Stills or Fulton and the former may be worth more to us than a 4th.
OB already blew "the out" he had to trade Watson and get away with it this year. I said he should have done it to get Tua if he really wanted to try and go through with something like that. I don't know that he'll have a situation with a young player again where he can do it as easily as he could have this year. I'm not saying I would have wanted this, but it would have been the safest trade OB could have done to move away from Watson if that was what his objective was.
If Haskins does not significantly step up Washington may come calling. Tu'a would be best if he rides bench and if not and he injures himself again. Miami should want Watson. Most focus on his hip dislocation but both ankles were damaged and he returned from surgery on the right and played at "85%". There was also knee surgery IIRC on right knee. I believe it's quite possible the. Tu 'a Tag could be a walking time bomb that may not make it through his rookie season Unless he rides the bench.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I'm not as concerned with money but what trade would Jets accept. I think we could get something for Stills or Fulton and the former may be worth more to us than a 4th.

If Haskins does not significantly step up Washington may come calling. Tu'a would be best if he rides bench and if not and he injures himself again. Miami should want Watson. Most focus on his hip dislocation but both ankles were damaged and he returned from surgery on the right and played at "85%". There was also knee surgery IIRC on right knee. I believe it's quite possible the. Tu 'a Tag could be a walking time bomb that may not make it through his rookie season Unless he rides the bench.
I'm not saying what Tua will do, I just felt like if OB wanted Watson gone like some believe that Tua would have been a good enough prospect for OB to trade him without having the fan base burn down NRG. They'd still be mad, but Tua at least has enough potential that some people would be over it thinking about that excitement and you'd be able to have him at a real low cost for maybe 3 years or so instead of paying Watson. I'm not saying I wanted that, but I was speaking as if OB did. That would have been an option I think. Do you?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Jets will trade Jamal Adams IMO.They need a WR1, LB and a safety to replace Adams even if draft pick Ashtyn Davis is good and can play strong safety by 2021. NY should have taken Raiders offer of 1.19 as Dallas isn't giving up 1.16ish.

To get Adams we have to make best offer and I'm willing to offer

Will Fuller $10 m
Eric Murray 2.9
B. McKinney 6.7
Total $19.6

3 starters has to get Jets attention. Fuller and Murray me be enough or BMac and Fuller but I'm ready to send all three, Jamal is that good.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Chris Jones for Blacklock and 2022 first round? Chiefs have $6 m cap space with minimal ability to increase. Will they allow Chris Jones to sit out. How do they pay Mahomes?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Chris Jones for Blacklock and 2022 first round? Chiefs have $6 m cap space with minimal ability to increase. Will they allow Chris Jones to sit out. How do they pay Mahomes?
I'm wanting to keep Blacklock and add Jones.

Can you come up with a trade you think might work?

badboy

Hall of Fame

Yes but I want Adams and Ngayoue before Jones. As you said Blacklock might be Jones in the future but Jones is Jones now. He turns 26 tomorrow. My concern is how much of Cap 2020 DW takes up. My suggestion three year extension added to 2020 with majority GTD and $10 m signing bonus spread over four years. His cap of $4 now plus 2.5 of bonus is doable and still allows us to bring in superb players. Even more than 100 if DW agrees to play his fifth season at the $17.5 . For example, 2020 @4 +2.5 or 6.5 cap. 2021@ 17.5 + 2. 5
or $20 m his 5th season. 2022 2.5 plus huge roster bonus plus GTD base and so forth. In total a five year deal. He would be 30 looking for new contract.

To answer your concern about keeping Blacklock and getting Jones would Dunn and Carlos Watkins plus 2022 first get Jacksonville's attention? I don't and why I would offer Blackson. Keep in mind that Adams and Yannick have priority over Jones; all three in their prime. I may be nuts but I'd we showed #4 we are strengthening defense, he could work with Obrien. I would have Janice talk with Deshuan. Watson and McNairs could do a lot together off the field. I'm still moving players and cap money around.
Thanks for your question.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Looks like Chiefs have back up plan if Chris Jones sits out. Due to his young age and I doubt he will turn down the $16 m, I anticipate KC waits on him unless they get huge offer that imo Houston cannot do.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Projected 2021 salary cap due to Covid 19:
I am putting this info here in order for me to locate easier and will refer to it in other threads such as contracts and QB Watson 1st round pick or any discussing salary cap.

Info I use for numbers is from Jason Fitzgerald Founder of Overthecap.com and Spotrac.com which most here are familiar with. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/salary-cap-chaos-could-be-coming-nfl-wake-covid-19

2021 projected salary cap prior to C-19 was and as of today apprx 209 million dollars.
2021 top 51 player salary $199 million.
2020 played with zero fans (tickets, concessions, parking,etc) $80 m loss to cap.
2020 played with 50% fans $40 m

2020 base cap with no roll over $198 million - $40 m = $158 m

2021 top 51 $199 m - $158 =
$41 m to cut.

JJ Watt $17.5
DaJohnson 9.0
B. Dunn 4.25
J Watkins 1.5
JThomas
or
J Atkins 1.0
DuJohnson 5.0
ZFulton 3.75
BMac 8.5 total $50.5

Grand total $50 m + 2020 current roll over $20 m or $70. $70 m new cap space -
$41= $29 million remaining cap space. Spend it how you choose; bring back player(s) or give to Watson or use for new FAs next off season.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Info on Mahommes impacting Dak Prescott and Chris Jones as July 15th deadline to extend contracts appears. https://www.si.com/college/mississippistate/football/impacts-jones-prescott-7620#:~:text=He wants an extension with,term extension with his team.&text=Whatever ultimately happens, Mahomes' extension,for both Prescott and Jones.

As with Prescott, Jones has until July 15 to reach an agreement on a long-term extension with his team. But did the Mahomes news help Jones' cause or hurt it?

There are two schools of thought. On one hand, it's easy to think the price of the Mahomes deal might eat up too much money and salary cap space for the Chiefs to hand Jones what he's wanting – something reportedly in the range of $21 million per year (CLICK HERE FOR MORE).

Then again though, there's the other side of the coin. Now that the Chiefs have locked up Mahomes for the long haul, they have cost certainty. That's something they didn't have previously. Until today, Kansas City could have understandably been hesitant to give Jones a large deal, not knowing how much it might take to keep Mahomes in the years to come. That's no longer an issue, so perhaps the Chiefs will now turn their attention to dealing with Jones.

Whatever ultimately happens, Mahomes' extension will almost assuredly have some type of trickle-down effect for both Prescott and Jones.

badboy

Hall of Fame

KC needs cap space:

Chris Jones nose tackle/DT $16 m
Alex Okafor DE $2m dead but 5.2 savings
KC gets immediate savings of 21 million
Texans trade:
CB Lonnie Johnson (Chiefs desperately need corners.) Teams split apprx $1m

DE Duke Ejiofor 6'4" 275 if he's healthy could be better than Okafor (pec surgery Jan) cap cost $.5.

LB Zac Cunn. $1m

WR Wil Fuller $10 m but can be reworked and could be best roster WR.

Chiefs lose 21 m but pick up 12 for total savings of $9 but can extend lower Fuller during season.
Texans get space of $11 and pick up 21 for increase of 9.

They have $20 m minus 9= 11 m remaining.

KC has risk but high reward and gain $9 m cap relief with 3 probable starters plus Ejiofor.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Just a reminder that RG Fulton can be traded with only 350,000 dead $. Cap savings of $3.5 million. OG Larry Warford remains free agent. It was rumored he would play for apprx the $7m Saints saved by cutting him. He would be huge improvement over Fulton ; both are 29 YOA.

Last edited:

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Surprisingly I found the article it is very long but I will highlight what I found interesting.

The Brady move to TBay will bring in viewers and many will tune in to Pats to see what THE COACH will do without THE QB.

Yeah, but once those ratings numbers decline a lot again, that will be another blunder period that the tv broadcasters will take more seriously this time especially since the NFL so foolishly went right back to the woke football league that hurt them before which did ultimately make ESPN and other sports networks lose a ton of ratings as well which caused massive layoffs. That is a very big part of the equation you can't leave out either is that the sports media that covers the NFL also took huge ratings drops from that and is currently taking a massive ratings hit as we speak.

Personally I think if the NFL plays, it will cancel the season within the first two to three weeks once the ratings are such a disaster and they'll blame it on Covid 19 dangers. They'll then cancel out all of the racial and political stuff they've added into the league as they know it ran off fans, and they'll believe that the players will be over that stuff by the next 8 months before another season needs to begin again and the league has less money.

badboy

Hall of Fame
KC and Chris Jones have begun long term contract negotiations. July 14 deadline.
Good news for Chiefs is the $16 m cap hit for Jones already in budget as he can play for that with an Extension or more likely reduce that amount with a rework. I continue to think a trade could bring in 2-3 starters. More news soon, I hope. I also hear Jets still trying to appease Jamal Adams and return him to fold. He can get his money and go to playoff team.

badboy

Hall of Fame
NFLNETWORK Tom Pellisori reports Jags turned down trade offer of a probowler for Yannick Ngakoue. Not known whom other player was but thought was player did not fit Jags system. IMO, would not have to be replacement for YN as they drafted Chaisson.

I would offer Lonnie Johnson, McKinney to play strongside LB and Fulton for Yannick. I would then sign Warford for RG.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Most know I am proponent of bringing Jamal Adams to H'town. Today he blasted NY HC Adam Gase as not being leader for team. Jamal claims at game halftime Gase would leave dressing room for other coaches to talk with team. While owner supposedly said he wants Adams and would pay him,Adams says he has not been approached about contract. If traded Adams has said he is willing to play out his last two years.

badboy

Hall of Fame
does the trade for Jamal Adams by Seattle change your view if you have one on the trade worth of Will Fuller and Kenney Stills? I see they are worth more to Texans and what Texans would receive in return in my opinion. Am I under valuing them to other teams? They are not Tunsil, Stephon Diggs or Adams. Yet they are consistent WR2 and Stills healthier than Fuller. Would you give up or take a high second round and a second level player like a corner for either?