Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Are Texans sitting on their hands again?

House starts and improves our team. They let luc, and Ariza walk to replace with ennis then traded him to get under the salary cap. That’s being cheap

Luc was trash .. Ennis was trash .. and Ariza was not worth 15Ms per year. Not being cheap. Cheap is not paying for a top 5 safety. cheap is not paying your homegrown guys when its time. cheap is playing hardball with your best defensive player under the auspice that he will be reinjured. Cheap is having 75Ms in cap space and not using it holding onto the "well we have to pay our guys pretty soon" argument.

Rockets are far from cheap and thats why they are contenders every single year, and the Texans are just the wannabe's in the city.

How many players?

Wes Welker in Denver? Don't really remember a whole lot more.

Welker in Denver
Jones has played well in Arizona
Woodhead was a solid RB in SD for several years
Talib has been a HOF worthy CB
Logan Ryan has played fairly well for Tenn.
Chris Long has played much better for Philly than he did for NE
Wilfork played well for the Texans at his old age
Dion Lewis was pretty good for Tenn this season
Vereen was pretty good for NY

Have you not been watching them. Every since he left, the Rockets have gone something like 20+ and 4. They're currently on a 9 game winning streak. They don't need him. He's replaceable

Obviously not watching close enough. House was also a benefactor of the system and Hardens play and for the record he’ll be on the playoff roster when it’s time so he’ll have a chance to contribute. He and his agent are betting on that. When you shun a three year deal because your agent is telling you to explore the open market come this summer you’re taking a huge risk. He was cut twice last year, he has historically not been great in the G legaue, he’s trying to use the Rockets as a springboard and could very well find himself back in the G league or sitting on more 10 day contracts next year WAITING to be offered a real contract...

Back to topic, right now the Texans FO is pulling their hands close to their hips

No pretty sure its still about Trent Brown.

Nope Idont like the orgs philosophy. They will never win a damn thing with this philosophy. This has nothing to do with Brown. It has to do with letting your guys walk in FA and replacing them with worse/cheaper players. They never add a guy say like John Brown or Ingram to fill a need. They just replace guys they lost in FA. Come on down Roby/Gipson.

Championship.

Obviously not watching close enough. House was also a benefactor of the system and Hardens play and for the record he’ll be on the playoff roster when it’s time so he’ll have a chance to contribute. He and his agent are betting on that. When you shun a three year deal because your agent is telling you to explore the open market come this summer you’re taking a huge risk. He was cut twice last year, he has historically not been great in the G legaue, he’s trying to use the Rockets as a springboard and could very well find himself back in the G league or sitting on more 10 day contracts next year WAITING to be offered a real contract...

Back to topic, right now the Texans FO is pulling their hands close to their hips

Well House is back with the Rockets as of 5 minutes ago

Nope Idont like the orgs philosophy. They will never win a damn thing with this philosophy. This has nothing to do with Brown. It has to do with letting your guys walk in FA and replacing them with worse/cheaper players. They never add a guy say like John Brown or Ingram to fill a need. They just replace guys they lost in FA. Come on down Roby/Gipson.

Championship.

Go root for another team then. You know one where you don't have to wish for the QB to get hurt so they can do what you want

Go root for another team then. You know one where you don't have to wish for the QB to get hurt so they can do what you want

Make no mistake I will be rooting for the team of my choice.

Feel how you wish about me and dont get so hungup on my rhetoric. It appears you cant understand the difference between literal and rhetoric. If Watson gets hurt then the Texans org will have gotten what they deserve and then change may happen, although it hasn't happened in the past.

Make no mistake I will be rooting for the team of my choice.

Feel how you wish about me and dont get so hungup on my rhetoric. It appears you cant understand the difference between literal and rhetoric. If Watson gets hurt then the Texans org will have gotten what they deserve and then change may happen, although it hasn't happened in the past.

You do realize that QBs get hurt even when there's great talent up front, right? Patriots had 3 Pro-Bowl OL when Brady was injured in ‘08. A ton more examples but I'm not wasting my time on something you already know.

You’ve been singing the praises of Gaine for months now but when they don’t get “your” guy, you get 6 wads of panties up your ass. Brown this year, Solder last year. Yeah, that was your boy Gaine who didn’t sign either.

I know you’ve got high hopes for Gaine, but Gaine is Bill O’Brien’s hand picked guy. You praise the guy for last year’s draft, a draft that had limited picks where they decided to use 2 of them on TEs. TEs, mind you, that were barely incorporated into the offense. Sorry, but that kind of thought process isn’t filling me with much hope.

I saw a post around here earlier where someone said the Texans brass are more interested in players that can play multiple positions and be average at all, instead of 1 position and playing it well. That's a perfect description of the Bill O'Brien era.

Rick Smith, Brian Gaine, it doesn't matter where the groceries come from if the chef is trying to force a cutlet through a colander.

You do realize that QBs get hurt even when there's great talent up front, right? Patriots had 3 Pro-Bowl OL when Brady was injured in ‘08. A ton more examples but I'm not wasting my time on something you already know.

You’ve been singing the praises of Gaine for months now but when they don’t get “your” guy, you get 6 wads of panties up your ass. Brown this year, Solder last year. Yeah, that was your boy Gaine who didn’t sign either.

I know you’ve got high hopes for Gaine, but Gaine is Bill O’Brien’s hand picked guy. You praise the guy for last year’s draft, a draft that had limited picks where they decided to use 2 of them on TEs. TEs, mind you, that were barely incorporated into the offense. Sorry, but that kind of thought process isn’t filling me with much hope.

I saw a post around here earlier where someone said the Texans brass are more interested in players that can play multiple positions and be average at all, instead of 1 position and playing it well. That's a perfect description of the Bill O'Brien era.

Rick Smith, Brian Gaine, it doesn't matter where the groceries come from if the chef is trying to force a cutlet through a colander.

This has nothing to to with Gaine, this is a from the top organizational philosophy that was instituted by the old man and his vision is being carried out by Cletus.

The 2 TE thingy is because they had to stay in and block because the OT's sucked and it looks like it's going to be more of the same next yr and that's on Gaine. I mean Nsehke just signed just signed with the Bills for a little over 14 mil and 2 yrs. It's like the Texans org avoids FA like the plague and it shows up on the field.

BTW, I wanted BOB gone when the former GM left.

This season is gonna be so fun watching us hand the ball up the middle to Alfred Blue.
Play-calling will still be trash and have everyone questioning why BoB is a coach.
Defense going to get worked up and down field with no depth.
But best believed we saved more cap space.

Cap space championship 2019-2020. Houston Texans.

The city guys come for cheap for 1 yr to revive their careers.

Hard not to look at other teams that have their franchise QB on their rookie deal still and make all these moves then look at the texans well....we really don't know what their plan is.

Hard not to look at other teams that have their franchise QB on their rookie deal still and make all these moves then look at the texans well....we really don't know what their plan is.

Exactly! We were a top team last year as well. Our window is already here and we're in it and we're doing the typical Texans slow boogie kind of thing like we're in the 2nd season of being an expansion team. I expected nothing more from them though.

But man oh man wouldn’t it be nice to have a GM with a pair of balls. John Dorsey made a horrible team a super bowl contender. And they’re signing Earl Thomas. Meanwhile we get shitheads that are “value picks”

The Browns have been hoarding both draft picks and cap space for years.

Also, correction.
Beckham has been accounted for, so the Browns still have a ton of cap space to play with.

Yep. And my guess is they don't have a lot of guys up for new contracts in the next couple years like the Texans do.

The Texans have absolutely NOT hoarded picks and capspace for years. They've actively been dumping picks actually and making dumb FA signings to ruin the capspace.

This has nothing to to with Gaine, this is a from the top organizational philosophy that was instituted by the old man and his vision is being carried out by Cletus.

The 2 TE thingy is because they had to stay in and block because the OT's sucked and it looks like it's going to be more of the same next yr and that's on Gaine. I mean Nsehke just signed just signed with the Bills for a little over 14 mil and 2 yrs. It's like the Texans org avoids FA like the plague and it shows up on the field.

BTW, I wanted BOB gone when the former GM left.
Hey SteelB just wanted to remind you that in their first season together the Gaine-O'Brien combo finished 11-5 in the regular season. Now that's not too shabby is it ?

Reactions: Max
Hey SteelB just wanted to remind you that in their first season together the Gaine-O'Brien combo finished 11-5 in the regular season. Now that's not too shabby is it ?

We had the easiest strength of schedule last year (.453) then got every single weakness on our team straight up exposed on national TV, in the first round of playoffs, at home, by a divisional opponent. That’s nothing to be proud of. BOB should’ve been fired. We retained him, now we have the 3rd toughest projected schedule. We didn’t get better (at all) as a team. In fact, I believe thus far throughout FA it could be argued that we are worse off than we were last year. And speaking objectively, we were the most overrated team in the league last year. We whooped up on rebuilding teams and got spanked by legitimate ones. We’re just delaying BOB’s inevitable firing because we actually have a real ass schedule next year. I say 6-10 is what can be expected. Another year of our cores prime wasted.

We had the easiest strength of schedule last year (.453) then got every single weakness on our team straight up exposed on national TV, in the first round of playoffs, at home, by a divisional opponent. That’s nothing to be proud of. BOB should’ve been fired. We retained him, now we have the 3rd toughest projected schedule. We didn’t get better (at all) as a team. In fact, I believe thus far throughout FA it could be argued that we are worse off than we were last year. And speaking objectively, we were the most overrated team in the league last year. We whooped up on rebuilding teams and got spanked by legitimate ones. We’re just delaying BOB’s inevitable firing because we actually have a real ass schedule next year. I say 6-10 is what can be expected. Another year of our cores prime wasted.

So why follow them?

Yep. And my guess is they don't have a lot of guys up for new contracts in the next couple years like the Texans do.

The Texans have absolutely NOT hoarded picks and capspace for years. They've actively been dumping picks actually and making dumb FA signings to ruin the capspace.
Mediocre.
Par for the course.
We Texans fans should be thankful. :fans::hides:

And wtf did Gaine do to accomplish that? Talk about an epic level of idiodic statements. The homers that continually stick up for these shitbag GM's like Rick Smith and Gaine can go kick rocks. This franchise staturates themselves inn mediocraty.

And wtf did Gaine do to accomplish that? Talk about an epic level of idiodic statements. The homers that continually stick up for these shitbag GM's like Rick Smith and Gaine can go kick rocks. This franchise staturates themselves inn mediocraty.
the phrase of BillParcells, the head of football operations for the (11-5) Miami Dolphins and former Super Bowl coach, "You are what your recordsaysyouare."Dec 30, 2008
BP an idiot ? I think not.

They needed to add 5 guys to the team to be better than they were last year. They still need to add ,5guys.

Unimpressed

I would've loved Matt Paradis (3Y, 27M), Ty Nsekhe (2Y, 14.5mil). Moved Martin to G. Drafted a LT. Viola, a cheap offensive line for a few years while you work on getting one developed/drafted. Watson hopefully isn't killed. $ remains for extensions/burning/hoarding. Whatever.

I expect the Texans to be bad, have for awhile. I don't take it personal, there are winners and losers in every business. They are local and have had a few top players that have also been extremely likable to assist making me stick around. Hopefully they can get something going here, I was impressed with Gaine year 1.

Think you missed the point, wasn't that long ago, like last week, that this was the argument Steel was making every time someone mentioned BoB or Gaine. It was meant to be a poke at him, not a serious argument.

But man oh man wouldn’t it be nice to have a GM with a pair of balls. John Dorsey made a horrible team a super bowl contender. And they’re signing Earl Thomas. Meanwhile we get shitheads that are “value picks”

It's not about the GM

It's about ownership

If you cant see this after 2 GM's then I dont know what to tell you.

I would've loved Matt Paradis (3Y, 27M), Ty Nsekhe (2Y, 14.5mil). Moved Martin to G. Drafted a LT. Viola, a cheap offensive line for a few years while you work on getting one developed/drafted. Watson hopefully isn't killed. $ remains for extensions/burning/hoarding. Whatever.

I expect the Texans to be bad, have for awhile. I don't take it personal, there are winners and losers in every business. They are local and have had a few top players that have also been extremely likable to assist making me stick around. Hopefully they can get something going here, I was impressed with Gaine year 1.

Cletus was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a homerun.

He could care less about winning on the field. He care alot about the social circle he runs in

Cal does care about winning at the bank. The old man set him up well in that regard.

Cletus was born on 3rd base and thinks he hit a homerun.

He could care less about winning on the field. He care alot about the social circle he runs in

Cal does care about winning at the bank. The old man set him up well in that regard.

Most fans understand you don't build your team through FA, but you use it to augment your drafting decisions. Unfortunately throughout the last decade, Texans have failed consistently at producing mid tier talent that can be used as departing FA replacement or as in season depth replacement. We've hit pure gold several times at the top end (Hopkins, AJ, Watt), and have had some critical later/UDFA success (Foster). This has lead our roster to being extremely thin and always short at a key position or two. Not everyone has to be an All-Pro, but if you have a severe weakness, or multiple severe flaws on your team, when the competition gets tough (Playoffs), you will repeatedly be exposed.

We are always chasing the last hot thing, started out with Capers and if IIRC (Google makes you seem smart, but anyone can Ctrl C + Ctrl V so I may be wrong, but I think he had expansion team experience) , then moved to the Kubiak era and chased the Broncos success, briefly wanted a tough Ravens team (Thanks Ed!) and after that wanted a little bit of Patriots koolaid). I think what our esteemed owner(s) are forgetting is its the architect (GM) and not the contractor (coach) who makes sure the building is structurally sound. We've never had an Ozzie Smith or Ron Wolf. Hell, I would've even taken a swing at the Drunkard GM (McCloughen or something) responsible for the 49ers and Redskins - sure he'd of missed a few calls because he was passed out and showed up to work reeking of booze every now and then, but even with his beer goggles on he could read his draft board. After bottoming out and getting the top 5 picks several times, you'd think we would of wanted a proven GM with talent for finding talent (a la Dorsey) but instead are BB Disciple island. If only you could run up the middle for 2 yards in the off-season and roll those yards over like your old cell phone plan...

At least we went out and found a stud offensive coordinator to assist in our teams development after the OC last year failed so badly, such as a Norv Turner, instead of promoting someone in house with utmost loyalty to BoB and the same teachings/philosophy. Even if they did not go for a proven guy who has seen it all, they could of gone after some fresh guy with maybe some new ideas from another team/outside eyes. I actually like our new QB coach, the hire makes sense - I almost would've preferred him in the OC role with heavy emphasis with QB development instead. (I abhor our OC promotion)

At least the Browns showed last year that fans over rate coaching anyways, its not like Freddie Kitchens was any improvement over Hue Jackson when it came to wins at the end of the year anyways. (/s, Browns went from 1-4 under Jackson to 5-3 under Kitchens, who changed the offense to highlight Mayfields strengths. Mayfield went from Jeff Fisher Jared Goff to Mcvay Jared Goff, (oh look another example) and the team used the $ from Goffs rookie contract to go from swimming with the Fish(er) to the NFC Championship game, where coaching once again was on display (BB vs the Golden Boy, BB delivered another HoF display worthy game plan)

EDITS: Clarification on some thoughts.

Also, I'm not 100% against the coach. I just feel there is a dysfunction on coaching staff decisions. Maybe ownership does not give the budget for a strong staff?

Last edited:
Most fans understand you don't build your team through FA, but you use it to augment your drafting decisions. Unfortunately throughout the last decade, Texans have failed consistently at producing mid tier talent that can be used as departing FA replacement or as in season depth replacement. We've hit pure gold several times at the top end (Hopkins, AJ, Watt), and have had some critical later/UDFA success (Foster). This has lead our roster to being extremely thin and always short at a key position or two. Not everyone has to be an All-Pro, but if you have a severe weakness, or multiple severe flaws on your team, when the competition gets tough (Playoffs), you will repeatedly be exposed.

We are always chasing the last hot thing, started out with Capers and if IIRC (Google makes you seem smart, but anyone can Ctrl C + Ctrl V so I may be wrong, but I think he had expansion team experience) , then moved to the Kubiak era and chased the Broncos success, briefly wanted a tough Ravens team (Thanks Ed!) and after that wanted a little bit of Patriots koolaid). I think what our esteemed owner(s) are forgetting is its the architect (GM) and not the contractor (coach) who makes sure the building is structurally sound. We've never had an Ozzie Smith or Ron Wolf. Hell, I would've even taken a swing at the Drunkard GM (McCloughen or something) responsible for the 49ers and Redskins - sure he'd of missed a few calls because he was passed out and showed up to work reeking of booze every now and then, but even with his beer goggles on he could read his draft board. After bottoming out and getting the top 5 picks several times, you'd think we would of wanted a proven GM with talent for finding talent (a la Dorsey) but instead are BB Disciple island. If only you could run up the middle for 2 yards in the off-season and roll those yards over like your old cell phone plan...

At least we went out and found a stud offensive coordinator to assist in our teams development after the OC last year failed so badly, such as a Norv Turner, instead of promoting someone in house with utmost loyalty to BoB and the same teachings/philosophy. Even if they did not go for a proven guy who has seen it all, they could of gone after some fresh guy with maybe some new ideas from another team/outside eyes.

At least the Browns showed last year that fans over rate coaching anyways, its not like Freddie Kitchens was any improvement over Hue Jackson when it came to wins at the end of the year anyways. (/s, Browns went from 1-4 under Jackson to 5-3 under Kitchens, who changed the offense to highlight Mayfields strengths. Mayfield went from Jeff Fisher Jared Goff to Mcvay Jared Goff, (oh look another example) and the team used the $ from Goffs rookie contract to go from swimming with the Fish(er) to the NFC Championship game, where coaching once again was on display (BB vs the Golden Boy, BB delivered another HoF display worthy game plan)

EDITS: Clarification on some thoughts

All of this comes back to ownership.

You mean it is not the search party the team paid $$$ to, that eventually named the GM that the fans of this forum predicted?

Who hired the GM,

Who signs the checks?

That's the ultimate bottom line and if Cletus was unhappy things would change. Cletus is running the same model that the old man ran. It's a great model for making $$$$, not such a great model for bringing a championship to this city.

BTW, I think Gaine is going to do a great job in the draft.

Back