Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All Encompassing Andre Johnson Thread (Just got some disturbing news about A Johnson)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nick Wright's an asshat, so it's quite fitting the Lord Bills kid likes him. Lopez is too busy giving everyone verbal BJs

I listen to Meltzer and Payne at lunch and that's it. I also listen to Texans Tuesday due to being in the same time slot
With his irreverent and witty sense of humor and very impressive knowledge of the NFL as a 10 vet in the league, Seth is great while Meltzer is basically along for the ride when it comes to the football though he does seem to have some knowledge of the NBA.
Re Johnson's trade value: the most anybody would give for him IMO is a 3rd rounder for the now 33 year old Johnson.

With his irreverent and witty sense of humor and very impressive knowledge of the NFL as a 10 vet in the league, Seth is great while Meltzer is basically along for the ride when it comes to the football though he does seem to have some knowledge of the NBA.
Re Johnson's trade value: the most anybody would give for him IMO is a 3rd rounder for the now 33 year old Johnson.

Seth is also a great Twitter follow.

I can see both sides of this argument but did you really just quote Nick Wright? Saying he tells it like it is then calling Rich Lord a homer?

yes. did i stutter?

rich lord is a known blatant homer and admits it on the air a lot. the fact that you even questioned it makes me wary of anything you say from here on out.

Nick Wright who does nothing but bash everything that is not a St Louis based team? The same Nick Wright who talks about everything but sports on his show?

and i respect that. most human beings are wired that way. he's great because he has no home town allegiance to houston and tells it like it is. he's perfect for houston, texas and houston texan radio considering the oblivious nature and general aloofness of texans in general.

id rather listen to a cynic and try to prove him wrong than be in a room with an eternal optimist pumping sunshine up everybody's arses.

Nick Wright is a freaking douche bag.

he's only a douche bag to you because you're a typical fanboy. you hate the fact that he tells you what you dont want to hear. Look at your avatar, you are already rocking a obrien avatar like a typical fan boy. what the hell has that guy done other than run our greatest player in franchise history out of town and name ryan fitzpatrick starter ensuring a lost season?

nick wright is cynic. a brutally honest individual and i respect people like that. you can always rely on him to tell the truth.

Morning show host on 610 who talks about sophomoric nonsense than actual sports. And when he does talk about sports the topic always swings towards St. Louis.

nick wright is a great sports analysts. who cares if he's from st. louis and is a homer for all things st. louis? i love bill simmons as an analyst but hate him whenever he talks anything boston because he loses all objectivity.

you're not listening to nick wright for his st. louis analysis. you listen to him for his houston takes which raw and honest because he isnt from here and doesnt see things through texans colored glasses just like i disregard anything bill simmons says about boston but appreciate and enjoy the rest of his takes.

that's why he has a job doing what he loves talking sports on radio and on CSN.

What do you do other than type nut hugging delusional posts on texan talk?

smdh at your obrien avatar. typical.

so typical.

And I thought BOB had a cult leader like following.

As mentioned by others here not just me, Nick Wright is a blowhard. He has one agenda: to make himself sound like the smartest man in the room when he is a village idiot.

And I thought BOB had a cult leader like following.

As mentioned by others here not just me, Nick Wright is a blowhard. He has one agenda: to make himself sound like the smartest man in the room when he is a village idiot.

all you do is bad mouth the guy yet have proven ZERO EVIDENCE as to why you feel the way you feel about him.

try again.

But perhaps most importantly, they don’t want to create a dangerous precedent.

Now we’ll see whose pride can take the hit between the Texans and Johnson, as we see who blinks first.

Precedent and pride are secondary and tertiary (if that). What matters most is the dead money. No organization should bend to a trade request under these circumstances unless the player chooses to sit out the season, which Andre won't do at 33.

Andre has a good contract. It should be the envy of all receivers. He's not on the losing end of the deal, and Houston is not Cleveland or Oakland. Andre is just acting out (understandably) a late career crisis. It'll blow over.

Andre knew months ago about the state of the Texans..he knew no way Schaumburg would still be here. He know the ninja wouldn't be here.he has been around enough to know about salary cap and stuff. He knew that there are a lot of holes to fill.

It is much more than a QB IMO.

Andre knew months ago about the state of the Texans..he knew no way Schaumburg would still be here. He know the ninja wouldn't be here.he has been around enough to know about salary cap and stuff. He knew that there are a lot of holes to fill.

It is much more than a QB IMO.

of course its much more than a qb. its bill obrien totally disrespecting him taking down his pictures and posters.

obrien got personal with dre.

you dont do that to the greatest texan in franchise history. i understood what obrien was trying to do but he went about it the wrong way. this isnt college and he treated dre like a college player.

he wouldnt have done that to tom brady.

you treat star players differently. that's how PROFESSIONAL SPORTS work.

You dont come in WITH ZERO HEAD COACHING ACCOMPLISHMENTS and trash the history and honor of the greatest texan of all time.

its more about obrien than the QB.

dre is not terrell owens.

obrien totally disrespected dre. obrien is in the wrong here.

of course its much more than a qb. its bill obrien totally disrespecting him taking down his pictures and posters.

you dont do that to the greatest texan in franchise history. i understood what obrien was trying to do but he went about it the wrong way. this isnt college and he treated dre like a college player.

You dont come in WITH ZERO HEAD COACHING ACCOMPLISHMENTS and trash the history and honor of the greatest texan of all time.

So you are speculating that Dre is holding out because O'brien took down pictures of AJ ? He took down pictures of everybody, plus Foster tweeted a song to AJ that was with a picture of AJ on the clubhouse wall.

You talk about people showing proof all the time, where is your proof on this off the wall accusation ?

BooHoo ... that disrespect crap is weak . If you can't take a coach taking down your poster then your a reason they only won two games last year .

So you are speculating that Dre is holding out because O'brien took down pictures of AJ ? He took down pictures of everybody, plus Foster tweeted a song to AJ that was with a picture of AJ on the clubhouse wall.

You talk about people showing proof all the time, where is your proof on this off the wall accusation ?

BooHoo ... that disrespect crap is weak . If you can't take a coach taking down your poster then your a reason they only won two games last year .

typical. absolutely typical posts defending this scrub ass franchise.

that disrespect crap is weak?

REALLY?

If you are andre johnson and you have done everything in your power to help the texans win, you've stuck with this franchise through thick and thin, restructured your contract 3x in the last 3 years, put up with crap season after crap season, crap quarterback after crap quarterback......

and some new head coach who hasnt done a damn thing comes in and takes down your sh*t....

you dont think that would piss dre off?

You're both wrong and dre wanting to be traded is evidence of that.

You guys must not have been athletic enough to play sports in high school or college.

all the great athletes are very sensitive. even though dre is a quiet reserved individual, he is a great athlete, and all great athletes are sensitive and arrogant despite what they show in public.

dre was absolutely livid at what obrien did.

he would never admit it publicly because he would look even worse publicly, but that is the crux of why he doesnt want to be here.

obrien disrespected him.

Ah, so we should have kept Kubiak then? Got it.

The Raven's hired Kubiak as the OC. And, let's not forget that they're getting him for a salary of $0. It's not a big risk for them.

Regardless, if 'Dre wants to go to Baltimore, cool. I wish him well.

So is Kubiak "hired" as in getting paid or is he "getting a salary of $0"? Did he agree to work as OC as an intern? Is it a $0 salary with incentive escalators?

Inquiring minds and that, ya know?

This is total, and complete nonsense.

O'Brien was brought in to fix a franchise that was a MESS. Under Gary Kubiak, the Texans were a collection of individuals; talented individuals, yes, but still INDIVIDUALS. Everyone had their own agenda, and favorites were played.

Kubiak didn't care about the team. He cared about invididual players: Jacoby Jones, Matt Schaub, Andre and a couple of others. The problem with that is you get blinders when it comes to your favorites, and don't see when they are hurting the overall team.

Example: Jacoby and is frequent dropped passes. Everyone knew that his inconsistent performance would hurt this team eventually. Yet, Kubaik stuck with his boy because he liked him.

And Schaub. Let's not even get into Schaub.

We can't have it both ways; We can't demand accountability and performance from the players, then slam a new coach who comes in and wants to institute a team philosophy over individual achievement.

O'Brien is doing exactly what he should be doing.

So is Kubiak "hired" as in getting paid or is he "getting a salary of $0"? Did he agree to work as OC as an intern? Is it a $0 salary with incentive escalators?

Inquiring minds and that, ya know?

They hired him. They put him on staff. They are paying him a salary of $0 because he had one more year left on his Texans contract. The Texans are paying his salary for the upcoming season.

REALLY?

If you are andre johnson and you have done everything in your power to help the texans win, you've stuck with this franchise through thick and thin, restructured your contract 3x in the last 3 years, put up with crap season after crap season, crap quarterback after crap quarterback......

and some new head coach who hasnt done a damn thing comes in and takes down your sh*t....

You guys must not have been athletic enough to play sports in high school or college.

all the great athletes are very sensitive. even though dre is a quiet reserved individual, he is a great athlete, and all great athletes are sensitive and arrogant despite what they show in public.

he would never admit it publicly because he would look even worse publicly, but that is the crux of why he doesnt want to be here.

obrien disrespected him.

Please never scream about evidence or proof again since you seem to have it buried in your head this is all because O'brien took down ALL OF THE TEXANS PLAYERS PICTURES. Such BS dude.

Then I guess a poster being taken down was worth a million bucks to Andre then

:sarcasm:

its not about money.

its about respect and principle.

obrien totally disrespected dre.

i cannot believe you people cannot fathom this. stop thinking like thirsty fans for a second and put yourselves in dre shoes.

its not about money.

i cannot believe you people cannot fathom this. stop thinking like thirsty fans for a second and put yourselves in dre shoes.

Not about money ? He asked if he could earn the $$$ back. haha

Clearly he disagrees with you as does the GM of the Ravens who is regarded as one of if not the best in the league.

Not necessarily. He didn't hire Gary Kubiak to come to Baltimore and replace his current head coach. He hired him to be his OC which Gary is perfectly suitable for. HC, not so much.

Last edited:

REALLY?

obrien disrespected him.

Guess what ... most of us have jobs and change bosses . You know what that means ?

The negotiating gets him more bonus money up front . Besides they bailed him out after his uncle negotiated a dumb contract . The Texans owe him nothing .

I played sports in HS . We weren't coddled back then , we weren't so sensitive . The world didn't owe me a thing I understood that .

REALLY?

obrien disrespected him.

Why are you here?

Up until now I've read your posts for humor due to how stupid and off the wall they are. Now? Ignored, buh bye

smdh.

how can you not decipher that move and come to the conclusion that its all about money?

smdh.

Ummmm well he wanted to earn it back with extra workouts with the damn team. I guess he wasnt feeling to disrespected if he was so easily going to do extra workouts for the team for the $$$.

You try to twist everything to fit your theory, and just look silly in doing such.

if you guys cant see how dre would be insulted in what obrien did then i dont know what to tell you.

he's a football star. his job is not just like yours. you can keep pretending he's just like you, and if your boss did that to you, you wouldnt mind because he's your boss, well you're wrong.

he's a star athlete. he's nothing like you. his job is nothing like yours.

even in the face of dre wanting to be traded you guys are so obtuse and completely oblivious to a differing opinion and want to believe what you want to believe.

im giving you another opinion into the mind of andre johnson and why he doesnt want to be here but you guys are too hard headed to actually listen to what i have to say, that a star athlete who has put up with so much crap finally had enough when his image and his honor was disrespected by a coach who wanted to flex his muscles right away despite not accomplishing a single thing as a head coach.

so go ahead and bury your head in the sand and think this is all about the money.

a star athlete being sensitive. a wide receiver at that. because we all know wide receivers never act up.

such a unreasonable opinion i have that dre felt disrespected.

if you guys cant see how dre would be insulted in what obrien did then i dont know what to tell you.

he's a football star. his job is not just like yours. you can keep pretending he's just like you, and if your boss did that to you, you wouldnt mind because he's your boss, well you're wrong.

even in the face of dre wanting to be traded you guys are so obtuse and completely oblivious to a differing opinion and want to believe what you want to believe.

im giving you another opinion into the mind of andre johnson and why he doesnt want to be here but you guys are too hard headed to actually listen to what i have to say, that a star athlete who has put up with so much crap finally had enough when his image and his honor was disrespected by a coach who wanted to flex his muscles right away despite not accomplishing a single thing as a head coach.

so go ahead and bury your head in the sand and think this is all about the money.

a star athlete being sensitive. a wide receiver at that. because we all know wide receivers never act up.

No ... his job is not like mine but he doesn't buy a ticket to see me work .

Are you literally, l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y, saying that Dre was so disrespected by his picture being taken down along with every other picture, that he sacrificed A MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS????

Mods, ban me now. Lord Bills is a freaking id10t. Literally.

Are you literally, l-i-t-e-r-a-l-l-y, saying that Dre was so disrespected by his picture being taken down along with every other picture, that he sacrificed A MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS????

Mods, ban me now. Lord Bills is a freaking id10t. Literally.

You just now picking up on that?

its not about money.

I said this back in May. Check post #93 of this thread.
That whole taking down any and all indications of individual accomplishments is total B.S. if you ask me.
Does that mean no one ever gets a game ball? No one can accept a player of the week award or player of the month award.
Every management course I've ever taken says you reward and acknowledge your people when they work hard so that others in the group can be inspired to achieve those types of results and get similar accolades.
I don't know what kind of "offensive genius" or"QB guru" O'Brien is, but on this he's a total buckethead....

Capers had previous HC experience...of an expansion team no less -> Carolina Panthers.

I think the whole no previous experience thing is overblown anyway. First off having previous experience generally means they got canned. Then on the college thing, I think college HC is further away from NFL HC than NFL coordinator is but of course that's JMO.

Geez, I can't believe I forgot about that (obvious I knew about it......but had an acute Alzheimer's attack).

Andre Johnson's trade leverage

Johnson undercut any leverage he may have had to force a trade because the broad signing bonus recovery language is in his contract restructures...

--The broad language allows the Texans to recover a maximum of $4,444,583 from Johnson in 2014...

--A six-day training camp holdout, would cost him $666,687...

--If Johnson misses the entire Texans’ training camp and no more than four weeks of the regular season, they can recoup $2,222,291 from him...

--Johnson would also be giving up $588,235 of his $10 million base salary for each week of the regular season he missed.

--The broad language also effectively removes retirement as an option... the Texans could demand $11,364,168 from Johnson if he retires...

The Texans essentially hold all of the cards in the dispute with Johnson. It would be a surprise if Johnson’s trade request was granted or he had a lengthy preseason holdout largely because of the financial ramifications with the broad signing bonus language from his three contract restructures.

Welcome to the Houston Texans, Andre. :shades: Let's play some football!

They hired him. They put him on staff. They are paying him a salary of $0 because he had one more year left on his Texans contract. The Texans are paying his salary for the upcoming season.

So it is "Intern Kubiak". Cool, thanks for reminding me. I guess I've surely read that before and had forgotten. Not the first time.

its not about money.

Man, you're a piece of work. Well perhaps not even work. Yeah, just a piece.

You have no evidence to back up your 'out of deep left field' suppositions and assumptions.

O'Brien took EVERYONE'S stuff off the walls and 'Dre is the only one that got his panties knotted over it? Try again. He got more bad advice from Unk Melty and is left holding a bag of air instead of a bag with a nice, EASILY EARNED MILLION in it. If AJ was so consumed with his accolades being on display why didn't he demand they be put back where they were while he was crawling back and attempting to grovel his mitts back on the MIL that got away.

Man you might have really pretty hair, but you're not nearly as ***DAMN smart as you think you are. Quite the opposite. I don't know and frankly could not be more disinterested how you *think* you look in front of your 8' X 10' mirror but your posts are becoming more and more asinine and baseless as you continue to take your hands outta your pockets and hunt-N-peck on a keyboard spewing your said suppositions and assumptions.

At one time I found your posts to be somewhat amusing as I thought you were just stirring the pot, which I can take and at times be somewhat amused. To a point. I now can see exactly what your agenda is and with that:

GOOD BY!

To the General Posting Population: Please don't quote this troll anymore. It does no good to banish someone to the troll dungeon if they're constantly being quoted.

Thank you for your support.

Need a pic of LB's really pretty hair.

Well image search says:

billkaulitzhairstyles_shortmullethaircut.jpg

Andre Johnson's trade leverage

Welcome to the Houston Texans, Andre. :shades: Let's play some football!

The broad language also effectively removes retirement as an option for Johnson as Carson Palmer did in 2011 with the Cincinnati Bengals. Players aren’t subject to the daily fines for missed training with retirement, but signing bonus recovery is more onerous on the player. A team can demand repayment of the signing bonus proration from the current contract year and the remaining years of the deal upon the retirement. If the player doesn’t repay this money, the team can seek an award through arbitration. Johnson’s contract runs through 2016. The Texans could demand $11,364,168 from Johnson if he retired when it should have only been $939,168. Palmer didn’t have to worry about signing bonus recovery because the proration with his 2005 contract extension ended in 2010.

Wow.

I was wrong when I said Andre has two options. He only has one: Play football for the Houston Texans. Don't retire, don't sit out, and don't half-ass it.

Andre's reaction to this is somewhat understandable. No one likes being told they have no options, or that they have absolutely no control over their own fate. Maybe that's why he demanded the $1 million back. He doesn't like the feeling of being totally owned by the franchise he's worked so hard for.

He needs to take a step back and assess this situation. He's completely out of his element on matters like this, which is fine, since this isn't his expertise. What is not fine is the advisor who has failed to grasp the terms of the contract, and is either giving him bad advice or (just as bad) none at all.

Right now I'm hoping that some trusted party can reach out and give him better guidance.

By the way, how many Rick Smith critics out there still think he sucks now?

THANK YOU NICK WRIGHT!!!!

THANK YOU.

For putting on blast these selfish, dishonest, disloyal fans on 610 right now.

"you ask for loyalty from your players but cant return the favor"

Andre has restructured his contract the last 3 years and what does obrien do when he gets here? takes down his pictures around the arena using the lame "team attitude" excuse and name ryan fitzpatrick as starter.

"so funny to see fans who are workers not management in their lives support management and turn on the greatest player in franchise history."

I love nick wright. tells it like is. unlike the disgusting homer rich lord.

so glad they hired him.

No Ones turning on AJ just because they think he's once again getting rotten advice from his uncle. They just aren't giving in to extortion. Unfortunately, extortion sometimes works which is why the players keep trying it.

Now to be fair, the owners should never be able get away with voiding contracts just because they decide to cut a player. But that takes prep time so that the consequences of cutting a player are part of the contract and not outside the 4 corners of the contract.

I said this back in May. Check post #93 of this thread.
That whole taking down any and all indications of individual accomplishments is total B.S. if you ask me.
Does that mean no one ever gets a game ball? No one can accept a player of the week award or player of the month award.
Every management course I've ever taken says you reward and acknowledge your people when they work hard so that others in the group can be inspired to achieve those types of results and get similar accolades.
I don't know what kind of "offensive genius" or"QB guru" O'Brien is, but on this he's a total buckethead....

I know it's hard to believe, but a team first philosophy is not an invitation for failure. In fact, it is quite the opposite. But it does take some time for divas to get used to it. Fortunately, we only have a few of those.

By the way, how many Rick Smith critics out there still think he sucks now?

I think he sucks even more now.

People can parrot "it's a business" all they want, but you do business with people. Those people have feelings and they have friends among the other players and agents who don't appreciate the "tough ship" way the Texans have hanndled this situation. With the way the Texans have treated their Marque player and defacto face of the franchise, who would ever want to sign with the Texans?

Telling AJ to sit down, shut up and play out the rest of his career for a bad team with a bum for a QB because the wording of your contract makes you our ***** is a black eye for this franchise from players' perspective.

You think Watt isn't watching how this plays out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back